Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corvo posted:

They should bring Xbox 360 backwards compatibility to PC since the emulator is a Windows app anyways and being able to buy & play digital 360 games on PC would be awesome. Well, apart from the whole needing to install Windows 10 thing anyways.

It will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

Xbox Interface coming to PC, and Xbox + PC will be a big theme at E3 as more stuff is coming to PC.

First it was Game for Windows live, then it was Tiles, when New Xbox interface came, there was no one else left. This console generation is starting to look like it will be going down in flames.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
They called the fourth xbox the pc

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's the Mulligan Generation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If MS actually went and made a steambox-like next xbox, thereby unifying the PC and console development of titles that would make sense from a development effort perspective, financial perspective and user base perspective...

That would be too much sense in one for MS to handle. It's not happening

However it would be a genius move and would save PC gaming... from lovely ports anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Hopper posted:

However it would be a genius move and would save PC gaming... from lovely ports anyway.

From what?
Videogames that live in an ecosystem that by design needs to take in account constraints that were made for tablets or phones?
Please.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What?!

PC/Mac/Linux gaming has already been saved bu Steam. When has MS been the saviour to anything?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

What?!

PC/Mac/Linux gaming has already been saved bu Steam. When has MS been the saviour to anything?

Well, Microsoft saved the western economy by keeping idiot managers. The day they undergo a restructuring and they start making sane decisions[1] and lay off all the idiot managers it's the day when you will see a devastated U.S. corporate landscape.

[1] sincerely, the Bone, Lumia, Windows 8 and 10 could have been handled way better than they did, they had the ideas and infrastructure but in the delivery they are no Google nor Apple.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Since we all love rumors about next-gen consoles: Digitimes is reporting that Nintendo is also jumping on the VR hype train, thus the NX release "push" to March 2017.

Digitimes posted:

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The NX is going to be so underwhelming to people who swallow up all these fake rumors

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
And also to everyone else

But Mario Kart will be fun :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My expectations are "it will have Nintendo games" so I can only be whelmed at worst

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fortuitous bump, as another rumor is circulating that the NX won`t even start mass production until early 2017.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like if anyone could make VR awesome though it's Nintendo. VR is best for slow, non-action games and action games with cockpit view.

Animal Crossing could translate pretty faithfully I think. Star Fox, too.

Metroid Prime with less focus on combat and more puzzles (the visible helmet would act like a cockpit to stop nausea)

Wario Ware minigames

Mario Kart, but still in third person because screw the idea that all VR has to be from first person perspective.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nintendo is the best company to do VR because they made the Virtual Boy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo is the best company to do VR because they made the Virtual Boy.

"We've already failed at it once, that makes us more likely to get it right next time!"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
No Nintendo! Bad Nintendo! No gimmicks! Make a normal console with a normal controller. No VR, no waggle, no touchscreen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to be super pissed if i can't strap the next nintendo console to my head

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm going to be super pissed if i can't strap the next nintendo console to my head

You can strap any console to your head if you truly want to.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

"We've already failed at it once, that makes us more likely to get it right next time!"
you just described the entire 3DS product line

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

univbee posted:

You can strap any console to your head if you truly want to.

just tried w/ an xbone. u can hear the ocean

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

just tried w/ an xbone. u can hear the ocean

I know Xbox has a reputation for overheating and needing serious cooling, but goddamn.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

My expectations are "it will have Nintendo games" so I can only be whelmed at worst

You say this until, horrifying everyone, all NX Nintendo games are mobile stamina games. Get ready to pay 5 USD for 100 Mario Jumps. Believe me it's happening, I read this somewhere.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

bloodychill posted:

You say this until, horrifying everyone, all NX Nintendo games are mobile stamina games. Get ready to pay 5 USD for 100 Mario Jumps. Believe me it's happening, I read this somewhere.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People have been predicting Nintendo's next console would be VR since the days of the Gamecube. If I wasn't on my phone I'd dig up some of the hilarious speculative 3d renders of yesteryear.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Guy Mann posted:

People have been predicting Nintendo's next console would be VR since the days of the Gamecube. If I wasn't on my phone I'd dig up some of the hilarious speculative 3d renders of yesteryear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As promised:

Nintendo

Xbox

Playstation

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nintendo likes to be the one who has the hardware gimmick that others want to copy. them doing VR would be the opposite of that so I can't really expect that to be a part of the deal, especially because they'd need a powerful machine to do that and Nintendo doesn't care about raw power either

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lmao that last PS4 concept

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

As promised:

Nintendo

Xbox

Playstation

Day 1 on all of these.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rexroom posted:

Since we all love rumors about next-gen consoles: Digitimes is reporting that Nintendo is also jumping on the VR hype train, thus the NX release "push" to March 2017.

i feel bad for nintendo sorta. they make some great games, but now they are just stuck in a hole and just keep digging. the 3ds is the last good thing they are still making good games on.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel bad for nintendo sorta. they make some great games, but now they are just stuck in a hole and just keep digging. the 3ds is the last good thing they are still making good games on.

Hey, the Wii U is

Dapper_Swindler posted:

still making... games on.

oh

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

um...what is even the concept of this one? "Our next console is partially transparent...and hollow because we jammed all the actual computing parts of our device into the non-transparent parts, thus making our console larger than it had to be?"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Patter Song posted:

um...what is even the concept of this one? "Our next console is partially transparent...and hollow because we jammed all the actual computing parts of our device into the non-transparent parts, thus making our console larger than it had to be?"

You know that version of future dystopias where it's like Fallout except everything is white/silver and shiny? This is the console they game on.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They should stop making hardware IMO. Start developing/publishing for other consoles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

owl_pellet posted:

They should stop making hardware IMO. Start developing/publishing for other consoles.

That would never happen! Nintendo would rather leave video games entirely than develop on other people's hardware!

*awkwardly shuffles to hide smartphone loaded with Amiibo and a half dozen official Pokemon apps*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

eh then we'd never get games like Wonderful 101 because that's "too risky"

when they do their own console they can eat the games that don't sell well because it's all in the name of creating a diverse software portfolio for your system

if you consider that Fire Emblem Awakening was a risk at the time because no FE game had sold that well, the series probably wouldn't be in America today if they were a third-party dev. there probably would be fewer Kirby games as well, no games like Boxboy or Rhythm Heaven, or Pushmo, etc. When you consider how nintendo fans are thirsty for some of Nintendo's IPs to come back, think of how many IPs would be abandoned because of the need to stick with 'safe' titles.

I mean there's NO WAY that Splatoon would have been made if Nintendo was a third-party. I can safely say, zero percent chance. ZERO

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 3, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guy Mann posted:

*awkwardly shuffles to hide smartphone loaded with Amiibo and a half dozen official Pokemon apps*

Pokémon is handled by The Pokémon Company, not Nintendo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

owl_pellet posted:

It worked for Sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mercury Crusader posted:

It worked for Sega

Sonic fans might disagree with you there.

• Locked thread