Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i feel like all those cool games that sony showed last year like last guardian and the robot dinosaur one are going to Play Best on PSNeo and it makes me really sad

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

HyperPuma posted:

i feel like all those cool games that sony showed last year like last guardian and the robot dinosaur one are going to Play Best on PSNeo and it makes me really sad

You're being awfully optimistic with The Last Guardian there I think.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

HyperPuma posted:

Yeah I'm thinking psvr titles for sure, one way or another, need a ps neo to play :mad:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

theultimo posted:

Yeah I'm thinking psvr titles for sure, one way or another, need a ps neo to play :mad:

my Summer Lesson will be to never buy a console within the first 3 years

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MotU posted:

The correct lesson would have been to never buy a console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Healbot posted:

The correct lesson would have been to never buy a console.

Rent everything. :unsmigghh:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MotU posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to buy another console at launch anymore if .5 iterations are going to be part of the status quo. I'll wait for the upgrade version. My PC still blows the ps4.5 out of the water.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

if this is how its going to be then i hope the ps5 or w/e the iteration after the neo is called supports neo games, then i can at least skip one iteration and play the exclusives i missed on the cheap a few years later

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

if this is how its going to be then i hope the ps5 or w/e the iteration after the neo is called supports neo games, then i can at least skip one iteration and play the exclusives i missed on the cheap a few years later

There's a belief that, much like iPhone and Android, at least the PS4 will keep building on its same core and compatibility will at least carry forward.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

HyperPuma posted:

In theory the arch doesn't change and it is possible.

However I don't know if , say Sony goes to arm in the future, if it is going to be possible.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I hope there's never a PS5, I hope they keep updating the PS4 forever tbh

We had to wait three years for basic PS3 features like appearing offline

They can't be trusted to make new consoles

Just, maybe, don't do the upgrade thing so quickly!!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
they should upgrade every year but it can be modular like the Sega CD or 32x

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Bass Bottles posted:

Sony sees vr as a possible new technology that the can dominate the competition with. However, the ps4 is pretty weak with vr tech, so I think this is the compromise they had to make.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

univbee posted:

There's a belief that, much like iPhone and Android, at least the PS4 will keep building on its same core and compatibility will at least carry forward.

yeah i know people want to believe that, but thinking back on how the games industry has handled remasters and hd editions and poo poo how likely is that really?

it would be nice if they clarified when they officially announce if they are going to aim towards at least like 3 generations of compatibility ie new games work on ps4, neo, ps5 then when ps5 comes out games will work for neo, ps5, pstrinity etc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

PS4EVA

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MotU posted:

they should upgrade every year but it can be modular like the Sega CD or 32x

Sega Ultra HD LaserDisc. The density and multi-layered capability of UHD's, with the surface area of LaserDiscs. :getin:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Sega Ultra HD LaserDisc. The density and multi-layered capability of UHD's, with the surface area of LaserDiscs. :getin:

I own a laser active and titles like this

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

I own a laser active and titles like this

Sega was truly ahead of everyone.

That's why they got EA to put a hit on them. :tinfoil:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Has Nintendo even done anything special with the New 3DS other than Xenoblade Chronicles and some SNES roms?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Popular Human posted:

Has Nintendo even done anything special with the New 3DS other than Xenoblade Chronicles and some SNES roms?

Triforce heroes port runs on it
Monhun is more playable than 3ds without cpp

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Popular Human posted:

The Hyrule Warriors port is really, really bad if played on a normal 3ds.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Popular Human posted:

Made Hyrule Legends not unplayable.

Binding of Isaac (required)

That's it so far I think.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also Smash Brothers loads way faster and the OS is persistent in memory.

Edit: SNES virtual console also new 3ds only.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Popular Human posted:

Much better HTML5 support in the browser. Native playback support for 3D videos.

Hyrule Warriors is basically new 3ds only but isn't.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Healbot posted:

Edit: SNES virtual console also new 3ds only.

I wonder if Nintendo still pirates their own ROM's when prepping their VC releases because they apparently don't have a better source for their own games than torrenting No Intro/GoodRoms.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gas.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's your answer to everything. The energy crisis, termites, Jews...

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

univbee posted:

That's your answer to everything. The energy crisis, termites, Jews...

Gas

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Why do so many people want to gas the thread about mid-cycle console upgrades? What are you all trying to hide?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Popular Human posted:

Why do so many people want to gas the thread about mid-cycle console upgrades? What are you all trying to hide?

They are robots made from the bones of last-gen consoles looking to destroy the next generation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

They are robots made from the bones of last-gen consoles looking to destroy the next generation.

All the bones are current gen

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Real hurthling! posted:

All the bones are current gen

for now...

Soral
May 30, 2009

univbee posted:

This is looking like it’s going to be a crazy year for all three console manufacturers, as they all have unconfirmed-but-very-strong-rumors that they will have various levels of new hardware coming out. Expect major news confirming/denying the details below either at or before E3. All pictures below are fun things I found online and unless otherwise stated shouldn't be considered "totally what the final console which is totally happening will look like."

What we know:

Nintendo

They have something codenamed NX coming out, which supposed to be a new type of thing. It seems likely whatever this is will somehow combine handheld (where Nintendo is still dominant) and console gaming, possibly via a docking system or some form of cross-compatibility, but other than a patent showing a crude controller with two sticks, two shoulder buttons, and whose entire faceplate is a touch screen, little is known at this time. Some information suggests that the SDK for it is designed to easily port Wii U games to it.

Here’s one of many pictures from the patent filing

The pentagons are physical analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons are actual buttons, while everything else (e.g. the bomb and sword etc. buttons) are touch screen stuff. Note the shape isn’t a set thing, patents tend to be suggestive in a general sense, so the final product will likely be more ergonomically friendly if this is indeed what the NX is going to be like.

Microsoft

They seem to have sort of extended Xbox to encompass PC’s running Windows 10 as well, with strong indications that many if not all future titles will be released on both Xbox One and Windows 10’s app store. Also filings with the FCC and similar bodies outside of the U.S. are showcasing new components such as new wireless hardware for something the internet is referring to as Xbox 1.5. Some of these documents are under NDA until late June/July so some form of E3 announcement seems likely, although there could be other possibilities, such as a new “Xbox One Slim” SKU which doesn’t upgrade games at all compared to the original Xbox One, or some Steam Machine-alike which runs Windows 10 and gets its game on that way (and may have upgradeable components).

Sony

All but confirmed as multiple trustworthy sources have independently confirmed this is a thing which is happening, Sony seems ready to release an upgraded PS4, variously referred to online as PS4.5, PS4K, or Neo (its codename with Sony) or some combination thereof. If the rumors bear fruit this is how that’ll look:

Designed for (although doesn’t explicitly require) 4K, with an Ultra HD Blu-ray playback capability being likely, as well as the usual 4K streaming capabilities (e.g. Netflix 4K).
Games will be required to work on both the vanilla PS4 (PS4.0) and the new SKU. No “Neo-only” games will be allowed, and content won’t be allowed to be gated (e.g. playing on a Neo unlocks a new Rocket League car-type stuff). Also, multiplayer will function from both platforms on the same servers, no “Neo only” servers allowed.
All games releasing October onwards will have profiles for both platforms, so Neo versions will run better in some capacity, such as more stable framerates, higher resolution etc. (although another rumor pegs the new PS4’s release as Q1-2017 at the earliest)
Games can run at 4K, but given that even PC’s with >$1000 in graphics cards alone struggle to accomplish this it seems more likely that lower resolutions will be more common, such as stable 1080p, 1440p etc., although possibly some 2D games will use 4K.
It’s assumed, although not confirmed, that this is also a big push to improve PSVR (which needs to guarantee a stable 60fps or higher framerate) although whether or not this’ll translate to things such as not needing quite the same level of convoluted wiring remains to be seen.
Likely $399US price point. Given its release window, look at PSVR’s base price in your region for what it would likely cost in your territory.

Here is a specs comparison

Still unknown is what sorts of trade-in deals game stores will do for upgrades.

Post your speculations, news, anger about how you’re totally going PC now, and deals on 4K TV’s here in this thread. Or in the relocated sharktank thread here, whatever, it’s all good.

but which console will have the right ram

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Soral posted:

but which console will have the right ram

I hope it's all of them!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I heard the big bonus with the xbone will be that it includes Kinect Live something everyone wants.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why in the world do you need the new 3DS for SNES emulation? Are they that taxing on the system?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Popular Human posted:

These threads are always the same insane idiots posting 50000 pages about what huge corporations NEED to do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Why in the world do you need the new 3DS for SNES emulation? Are they that taxing on the system?

Super NES games run decently on a PSP. I think Nintendo just wants a carrot for their NewStick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

You see those games were made of highly advanced nintendo technology and it takes alot of hardware to run the software to run those games that are 25 years old.

• Locked thread