Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Quest For Glory II posted:

eh then we'd never get games like Wonderful 101 because that's "too risky"

when they do their own console they can eat the games that don't sell well because it's all in the name of creating a diverse software portfolio for your system

if you consider that Fire Emblem Awakening was a risk at the time because no FE game had sold that well, the series probably wouldn't be in America today if they were a third-party dev. there probably would be fewer Kirby games as well, no games like Boxboy or Rhythm Heaven, or Pushmo, etc. When you consider how nintendo fans are thirsty for some of Nintendo's IPs to come back, think of how many IPs would be abandoned because of the need to stick with 'safe' titles.

I mean there's NO WAY that Splatoon would have been made if Nintendo was a third-party. I can safely say, zero percent chance. ZERO

You make some good points here, but at some point even a behemoth like Nintendo has to face facts if things aren't going their way. How many more failed consoles after the WiiU until they either start to focus on software only or they cut off their nose to spite their face and pivot into the pachinko market or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disney dumped infinity in preparation to own nintendo

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Crusader posted:

It worked for Sega

Sega going third party would have worked a hell of a lot better if they backed the playstation 2 instead of the Xbox 1 (not the Xbox one, the third xbox, but xbox 1, the first xbox)

Multiple franchises died on the Xbox that absolutely would not have if they were ps2 games.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Not 1, not 2, but 3 Blu-ray slots :eyepop:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol nintendo delaying NX for more VR bullshit is a death knell, especially if Miyamoto has anything to do with it. his insistence that poo poo lately needs a gimmick to justify it hosed up the sales of Star Fox and was the reason we never got another F-Zero.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

and was the reason we never got another F-Zero.

To be fair, a home cabinet-style F-Zero AX would have sold gangbusters.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol nintendo delaying NX for more VR bullshit is a death knell, especially if Miyamoto has anything to do with it. his insistence that poo poo lately needs a gimmick to justify it hosed up the sales of Star Fox and was the reason we never got another F-Zero.

Miyamoto has little to do with the NX, so you'll have to look for someone else to blame.

If the NX however doesn't have any gyro controls, Nintendo would be dead to me.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Nintendo should just make mario toilet break games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Sega going third party would have worked a hell of a lot better if they backed the playstation 2 instead of the Xbox 1 (not the Xbox one, the third xbox, but xbox 1, the first xbox)

Multiple franchises died on the Xbox that absolutely would not have if they were ps2 games.

Breakdown was never gonna be a hit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

You make some good points here, but at some point even a behemoth like Nintendo has to face facts if things aren't going their way. How many more failed consoles after the WiiU until they either start to focus on software only or they cut off their nose to spite their face and pivot into the pachinko market or something.
Probably several because they have a ton of money and were able to stop the bleeding financially

The 3DS isn't selling on par with the DS or even the GBA thanks to mobile phones but it's still got the largest install base of any platform this generation. By the time it's finished production it should top out at 10th all time among all platforms.

I feel like as long as Nintendo can keep getting themselves back into the black or at least minimizing their losses, they can kind of do whatever they want. Amiibo, iOS app sales, licensing of movies and merchandise, etc., will probably help balance things out for them and allow them to keep doing their thing. The next handheld might only sell 40m units or something like that, if you assume the continued growth of mobile phones (I'm actually on the fence about assuming that TBH), but if it's profitable to Nintendo, they might be fine with that? Especially if NX is a dual-platform, they might just combine the sales of the console and handheld for their purposes.

I also don't think Nintendo or its investors have the same expectations that consumers do but maybe that's because I read that one investor Q&A where the one investor stood up and said "all of you are sycophants, none of you will criticize Nintendo!" and all the other investors were like "shut up, anyway Iwata, will there be Mario bread? I want Mario bread." If Nintendo isnt hemorrhaging money I don't think they care about being in third place.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope nx is hybrid handheld/console so that it gets 1st party games non stop from all their studios all in one place. Splitting their attention to two platforms kills the momentum of their systems

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Nintendo should just make mario toilet games

They already did Sunshine and the Zelda counterpart, Wind Waker.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Breakdown was never gonna be a hit.

Breakdown was Namco. And it owned. It did all the uninterrupted first-person narrative gimmicks that Half-Life 2 did only half a year earlier and on consoles.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nintendo should go all in on pachinko games... hmm if only there were a software partner for that...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Breakdown was Namco. And it owned. It did all the uninterrupted first-person narrative gimmicks that Half-Life 2 did only half a year earlier and on consoles.

Hey man I loved Breakdown but seriously that game would have bombed on anything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Nintendo should go all in on pachinko games... hmm if only there were a software partner for that...

I know this is what you're inferring but this trailer needs to be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszPXD8PSdY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
So when does Mario Bread some out, I heard there was going to be Mario Bread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

it looks like a humidifier.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it looks like a humidifier.

Fitting considering the og ps3 was a space heater.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Ryoga posted:

Fitting considering the og ps3 was a space heater.

Which was the better space heater: PS3 or 360

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Bass Bottles posted:

Which was the better space heater: PS3 or 360

Obviously the ps3, the 360 hogs all that warmth to itself.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

360 had an external powerbrick and still got too hot

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finally had time to update the OP with yesterday's goodies. :toot:

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNP53Lhuq_s

all the soundbites you need are there

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Tidux/status/744166372192751617

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats the only plan that makes sense. huge ps4 price cut hopefully coming

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

The 3DS isn't selling on par with the DS or even the GBA thanks to mobile phones but it's still got the largest install base of any platform this generation.

the 3ds is a last gen system

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody get a new3ds? I avoided it. :feelsgood:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

the 3ds is a last gen system
Less than that even, the Vita is probably more powerful, but that didn't really help

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Real hurthling! posted:

Anybody get a new3ds? I avoided it. :feelsgood:

I do. It's great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

I do. It's great.

Whats it got? Faster menus and thumb nub?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CrashCat posted:

Less than that even, the Vita is probably more powerful, but that didn't really help

Oh its way more powerful.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats it got? Faster menus and thumb nub?

Thumb nub, extra set of triggers for certain games (any of the ones that one have previously used the Circle Pad Pro, most significant one is MH4) faster downloading and menu response; biggest deal is probably the eye-tracking 3D effect which makes a huge difference

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
After 12 years, have they figured out a use for the second screen?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Is The 3DS Nintendo's Dreamcast?!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Oh its way more powerful.

How much ram does it have

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ethanol posted:

How much ram does it have

33mb of esram, JUUUUUUUST enough for a 1080p frame buffer. sort of like the xbo..... oh, nvm.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nierbo posted:

33mb of esram, JUUUUUUUST enough for a 1080p frame buffer. sort of like the xbo..... oh, nvm.

If you don't do any fancy post-processing with the frame buffer. PONG would do fancy things with the frame buffer these days.

CrashCat posted:

The PSP traded blows with the 3DS.

Now mobile phones are making everything look bad, and thanks to their game lineups that includes themselves.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Now mobile phones are making everything look bad, and thanks to their game lineups that includes themselves.

I can't get into mobile gaming these days. Back when the galaxy s2 came out I was all into it but these days everything's just a microtransaction-filled piece of poo poo. The last game I played was downfall which ended up coming to vita anyway.

e: wait, downfell or downwell or whatever

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread