Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Almost feel bad for the Wii U gamepad. Bad cuz bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Gamefaqs user board lied when they said I only had to upgrade my console every 5 years.

Sounds like last gen spoiled you with it's 8 year span.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Walrus posted:

Revisions every three years IMO technology moves fast and eight year cycles only lead to stagnant development trends, even outside of graphics.

The question on my mind: is the PC platform part of the pressure to release new hardware?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

All the bones are current gen

for now...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Betting Its a windows 10 streamer for tvs and digital xbox games. I bet no disc drive.
Amd has said they are working with sony and nintendo with no word about ms so a new apu seems unlikely.

Well, that would be one way of skirting the issue of wrong RAM. Everything just plays on your winders 10 PC. Or is this going to be one of those deals like Geforce Now or PS Now where it's game streaming from butt servers?

Of course it makes the Windows 10/Xbox even more pointless in the face of Steam.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

theultimo posted:

Well there is Windows 10 game streaming from your Xbox one already, maybe a dedicated streamer with azure support is the future

But this is the other direction. From Win10 -> Xbone

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

hell, i've seen people rig up their own cloud streaming service using an ec2 instance and steam streaming

lol how much does that garbage cost per month? Seems excessive

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

$381.60 per month

Might be cheaper to just upgrade your internet to something faster than poo poo tier.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

univbee posted:

ahaha, i pay less than that per year for my 1tb Plex server :yayclod:

You're hosting a 1Tb Plex server on AWS?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

you're hosting a plex server on another continent?

univbee lives on like 3 continents, so makes sense

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

theultimo posted:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGalindo/20160422/271014/The_Case_for_the_PS4K.php

It is a completely different shift to what we're used to. No longer will we be filing into the theater in a secret event broadcast streamed to the world, waiting to see what's underneath the curtain. The glamor and hype of a new console can now be broken down to what essentially are patch notes. Here's what's new in New Console 2017: a new GPU here, some CPU improvements here, runs all the same games, cya in 2020 for the next system.

It is certainly the biggest disappointment in this, if only because the spectacle of a new console launch is so much fun. But it is probably gone forever.

So what does that leave us with? A brand new console, coming way sooner than anyone has expected, that changes a generational cycle into a constantly refreshed cycle. No longer are there gaps in these product generations that allow for consumers to jump to other platforms, at least not one that's easily discernible. You probably didn't know it at the time, but that copy of Knack you bought in 2013 will be playable in 2023, on new hardware.

A lot of assumptions from someone who didn't see Sony drop the PSPGo immediately and kill vita support 1 day in and thinks Sony will support the older models in definately

See you in 2020? I will be surprised if Sony/MS don't try to make this an annual release cadence like Apple has done with iPhone.

xbone.75 coming holiday 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

univbee posted:

News has been somewhat scarce which is also kind of weird since all three console manufacturers seem content with letting the internet do its thing.

I hope that MS stays true to form, listens to the internet feedback, and doubles down on what people hate about incremental console upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ethanol posted:

The Xbox one is already really small; can't see it getting any smaller

theultimo posted:

Your joking right

No, he's 100% right.

It can't get any smaller because MS is bad at designing electronics.

• Locked thread