Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

They're not even bothering to pretend to give a gently caress about third parties this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Physical is still too huge, especially in Japan where people don't do credit cards. See this?

This was a lineup to RESERVE a regular edition of the most recent Pokémon game. On 3DS. Which you could buy digitally without putting on pants. This was just a year and a half ago.

America is better than Japan.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wheany posted:

And av1 codec is coming in 2017 and is supposed to be better still than h.265, but free. It has Intel, AMD, Arm, Nvidia, Google, Netflix, Amazon, Microsoft, Mozilla and Cisco on board. The only one missing is Apple, that I can think of.

loving Apple, I swear

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have a feeling the PS4.5 is going to nudge me into picking up a PS4 of some flavor.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how different the performance between the original and new ones is and what they decide to set the MSRP at

Sony's gonna pull a repeat of their last "we've got the market on lock now!" move and price it at 599 US dollars.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Looking forward to Sony doing literally everything wrong now that they're dominating since console platform owners are all incapable of building on success.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

the ps2

followed by the 599 US Dollars PS3, which spent most of the last generation as its Xbox One

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

The PS3 is a failure in the same way that people think the Wii was a failure.

That means it wasn't actually a failure, but its funny that people like to think it was.

Nobody thinks the Wii was a failure. Nintendo is a failure for following it up with a six-years-too-late 360/PS3-tier box with a compulsory tablet that most games didnt need. At least MS realized they should maybe pull the $100 Kinect out of the box.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

you said all platform owners are "incapable" of building on success. the ps2 was built on the success of the ps1. your statement was objectively incorrect. do not reply as there is no response other than acknowledgment of your error.

Ok congratulations you're right, one time 16 years ago Sony built on their swirltexture box being handed the generation by the idiots at Nintendo and Sega with the PS2. The PS2 is also basically modern gaming's Year Zero but whatever, I'm replying to Stux so obviously I'm the idiot here.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

The PS2 wasn't "handed" the generation by Nintendo and Sega.

I was referring to the PS1. Nintendo went with expensive low-capacity cartridges, continued to treat third parties and retailers like their underlings, and came out a year late while Sega was busy being mid-90s Sega. Sony deserves credit for making a console and not being 3DO-level stupid with pricing but the PS1 was kind of a piece of poo poo and basically won by default.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 17, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm not going to deny that the PS1 had a lot of great games. That tends to happen to the dominant console of each generation. But the hardware in it was trash. Textures couldn't sit still, draw distances were terrible, no bilinear filtering at all - the interlaced CRTs of the time hid some of that but god drat it was still nasty, especially if you had access to a PC with a 3D card.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

At what point did I dispute that the PS1 was a successful console?

univbee posted:

You're talking about hardware which launched in December 1994. PC 3D cards didn't even come on the market until mid-to-late 1996 and pretty much needed a Pentium, which if you bought one in December 1994 would have cost you $2500.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PI...20guide&f=false

Launched in 1994 (in Japan) but whose zenith was 1998 - the same year PC gamers were running Quake II, Unreal, and Half-Life on their 3Dfx cards.

This whole bitchfest over the PS1's abilities is tangential to my original point - that successful console manufacturers tend to follow up their success with bad, overreaching decisions. The only clear counterexample is the PS1 to PS2 handoff, which was an eternity ago.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

my crystal ball says you will regret making this post when stux replies to it no matter what he says

What happens to Stux has happened to Stux

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Genesis also looked bad and sounded bad compared to SNES but had good games and found success by being less of an rear end in a top hat to third parties and retailers while charging customers less.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

When they're in stores at the same time competing for the same customers it doesn't really matter when they came out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You guys realize the PS1 can be a shambling pile of jank but you're still allowed to like it, right?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My argument was that the PS1's success was thanks more to smart pricing, putting effort into third party relationships, Sega making the world's most expensive vessel for bad arcade ports, and Nintendo building a late to market system that used the wrong storage medium. The PS1's success was for a whole host of reasons that existed in spite of its rendering abilities, not because of them.

You don't seem to disagree but you also seem intent on arguing with me as if you do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I always just end up wanting buttons on any phone game that remotely resembles an actual video game. And no, I'm not pairing a DS4 with my phone like a loving goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Wait, what happened to those steam boxes or nvidia boxes or whatever they were? They still coming out?

Current gen consoles are bad, but those turned out even more bad.

• Locked thread