Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The NX is going to be so underwhelming to people who swallow up all these fake rumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My expectations are "it will have Nintendo games" so I can only be whelmed at worst

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nintendo likes to be the one who has the hardware gimmick that others want to copy. them doing VR would be the opposite of that so I can't really expect that to be a part of the deal, especially because they'd need a powerful machine to do that and Nintendo doesn't care about raw power either

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

They should stop making hardware IMO. Start developing/publishing for other consoles.
eh then we'd never get games like Wonderful 101 because that's "too risky"

when they do their own console they can eat the games that don't sell well because it's all in the name of creating a diverse software portfolio for your system

if you consider that Fire Emblem Awakening was a risk at the time because no FE game had sold that well, the series probably wouldn't be in America today if they were a third-party dev. there probably would be fewer Kirby games as well, no games like Boxboy or Rhythm Heaven, or Pushmo, etc. When you consider how nintendo fans are thirsty for some of Nintendo's IPs to come back, think of how many IPs would be abandoned because of the need to stick with 'safe' titles.

I mean there's NO WAY that Splatoon would have been made if Nintendo was a third-party. I can safely say, zero percent chance. ZERO

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 3, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

You make some good points here, but at some point even a behemoth like Nintendo has to face facts if things aren't going their way. How many more failed consoles after the WiiU until they either start to focus on software only or they cut off their nose to spite their face and pivot into the pachinko market or something.
Probably several because they have a ton of money and were able to stop the bleeding financially

The 3DS isn't selling on par with the DS or even the GBA thanks to mobile phones but it's still got the largest install base of any platform this generation. By the time it's finished production it should top out at 10th all time among all platforms.

I feel like as long as Nintendo can keep getting themselves back into the black or at least minimizing their losses, they can kind of do whatever they want. Amiibo, iOS app sales, licensing of movies and merchandise, etc., will probably help balance things out for them and allow them to keep doing their thing. The next handheld might only sell 40m units or something like that, if you assume the continued growth of mobile phones (I'm actually on the fence about assuming that TBH), but if it's profitable to Nintendo, they might be fine with that? Especially if NX is a dual-platform, they might just combine the sales of the console and handheld for their purposes.

I also don't think Nintendo or its investors have the same expectations that consumers do but maybe that's because I read that one investor Q&A where the one investor stood up and said "all of you are sycophants, none of you will criticize Nintendo!" and all the other investors were like "shut up, anyway Iwata, will there be Mario bread? I want Mario bread." If Nintendo isnt hemorrhaging money I don't think they care about being in third place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

will it be called the PS 4s or the PS 4+

e: they should call it the Nintendo New PS4

• Locked thread