Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
They named the fifth Playstation Playstation neONEo

Any word on the RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to buy another console at launch anymore if .5 iterations are going to be part of the status quo. I'll wait for the upgrade version.

Epic this. Well, I don't buy consoles on launch anyway, but now I will just not buy the initial version ever.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Popular Human posted:

Also I'm the first to call the PS4.0 the PSPoor

When that becomes standard console grognard lingo in a year, you can all thank me

Please quote my post so in a year I can say that the guy who was the first to call the PS4.0 the PSPoor quoted me once.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Might be a good way to launder money

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
My wishes for the half-generation: Nintendo: just make a normal loving controller. Microsoft: use non-hosed up ram. Sony: don't do it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Why the gently caress not.

What are the manufacturing costs of a blu-ray disk vs an SD card?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ethanol posted:

Seriously why do you nerds know all this asinine poo poo

Isn't knowing asinine poo poo like the definition of a nerd?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

You'd be surprised what x265 can do, although you have to do the ripping/encoding yourself currently. The streaming services use H264 due to licensing/hardware compatibility (and don't even do everything that's capable of) and trend towards lower bitrates because they are far less likely to get complaints about slight macroblocking than they are about "why isn't this playing on my 5 megabit internet connection".

And av1 codec is coming in 2017 and is supposed to be better still than h.265, but free. It has Intel, AMD, Arm, Nvidia, Google, Netflix, Amazon, Microsoft, Mozilla and Cisco on board. The only one missing is Apple, that I can think of.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

TheScott2K posted:

loving Apple, I swear

I'm not worried about Apple not being on board.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

Was there even a non-janky system before like the Dreamcast? I think every console up to that point was really scrub-tier hardware with really obvious deficiencies if you kept an eye on its lazy shovelware devs, but that would come together in such a way that super-nerds (e.g. Naughty Dog on PS1) could perform what was basically magic with it.

Naughty Dog continues to be quite wizardly to this day.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
No Nintendo! Bad Nintendo! No gimmicks! Make a normal console with a normal controller. No VR, no waggle, no touchscreen.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Not 1, not 2, but 3 Blu-ray slots :eyepop:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
After 12 years, have they figured out a use for the second screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

smell this posted:

Well Konami you've done it. You've taught me that nothing is sacred. Metal Gear Solid 3, one of the greatest video games on the ps2, and of all time...and...you're loving....just....you're loving....making it into goddamn this? You've taught me that anything will be sold, destroyed, and poo poo on, just for quick money. Please, just, loving dissolve into nothingness. Give away all of your companies that you own, give away of your IPs and loving die.

Source your quotes

• Locked thread