Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

my 5 year old macbook pro still works fine

my 4 year old rmbp works fine, but that's a murdered-out configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I welcome an ARM branch of MacOS, as long as they don't gently caress with the proven OSX UI

Windows RT could probably have been a moderate success if they didn't force you to use the clown car metro interface and developers could have mostly just recompiled their old win32 stuff, with JIT binary translation for the rest.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the combination of market saturation and the end of moore's law means everyone has and uses their pcs constantly but they don't have a reason to get a new one. maybe intel can pay Microsoft to make windows slower each release the way apple does w/ ios/osx.

woah woah poo poo man watch out

singed my eyelashes on this hottest of hot takes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

lie to yourself if you want, but we know the truth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

error1 posted:

I welcome an ARM branch of MacOS, as long as they don't gently caress with the proven OSX UI

There is absolutely no advantage to porting MacOS X or Windows to ARM for general purpose (i.e. not mobile) computing. ARM is also dogshit slow compared to Intel.

Apr 7, 2003

"I want an ARM iMac!" - guy who likes change for the sake of change

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*posts benchmark of single threaded arm benchmark running slightly faster on arm than x86*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in a thermally constrained environment Intel and arm are effectively the same performance-wise

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

computer parts posted:

nice worthless anecdote you worthless little bitch. go post some more in the superman and batman movie thread.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

in a thermally constrained environment Intel and arm are effectively the same performance-wise

so what you're saying is intel is equal to arm on phones but then intel is superior everywhere else? makes sense 2 me.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

So, what do we gain from porting Windows and MacOS X to ARM and making it the new desktop standard CPU?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you would make everything very slow which is how osx users like it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

So, what do we gain from porting Windows and MacOS X to ARM and making it the new desktop standard CPU?

battery powered imac :v:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the only thing i want thermally constrained is my cock and balls between some hot titties

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it would be like $300 cheaper but wouldn't be able to run any 3rd party software

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
nationalize intel

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bloody posted:

idk like on the flipside intel's server business is absolutely bonkers like yeah pc is dead but who cares when you can sell a xeon for $whatever_you_want and guarantee every unit you produce from now until the next rev will be sold

virtualization means individual customers are buying way fewer chips than they ever did in the past. they might be doing okay today but the bottom is going to fall out in the server market and arm is going to start creeping in to the low/midrange market

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

so what you're saying is intel is equal to arm on phones but then intel is superior everywhere else? makes sense 2 me.

no, what I'm saying is that the Intel and arm cores are equal on embedded in terms of raw application processor power. the rest of the Intel chip is still garbage and totally unsuitable for phones.

Intel chips are superior in servers for computationally intensive tasks, yes. that's always been true, I don't see why you're surprised.

Citizen Tayne posted:

having an ecosystem of chip vendors and foundries that are competing on power, performance, and price, instead of just Intel and its 61% gross margin on chips that barely change year to year and forced market segmentation because they have no competitors.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

having an ecosystem of chip vendors and foundries that are competing on power, performance, and price, instead of just Intel and its 61% gross margin on chips that barely change year to year and forced market segmentation because they have no competitors.

Intel is barely changing their chips year to year because they are hitting the limits of physics with current technology, not because of a conspiracy.

As far as this "ARM performs as well as Intel," I'd love to see those numbers because I find them very, very hard to believe.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

pffffft yeah right. just admit that what you really want is an excuse to throw out decades of legacy x86 software so that we can all "start fresh" or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Intel is barely changing their chips year to year because they are hitting the limits of physics with current technology, not because of a conspiracy.

As far as this "ARM performs as well as Intel," I'd love to see those numbers because I find them very, very hard to believe.

what hes saying is if you focus on a few computational tasks that phones do arm can do just as well as intel as long as you do it single threaded and clock the intel chips down to match the thermal output of the arm. likewise arm has no business outside of a phone I don't think anyone is arguing that arm could replace laptop/desktop or server processing.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
maybe they could move to a subscription model

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

suffix posted:

maybe they could move to a subscription model

I dunno if you're joking but I don't see why not

want avx512 support unlocked? that'll be $500/core/year

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe posted:

the only thing i want thermally constrained is my cock and balls between some hot titties

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe posted:

nice worthless anecdote you worthless little bitch. go post some more in the superman and batman movie thread.

dont be mean to animals, not in the intel thread

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

DuckConference posted:

I dunno if you're joking but I don't see why not

want avx512 support unlocked? that'll be $500/core/year

your cpu is overheated from video decoding and needs to rest

[buy more FLOPberries in the intel store]

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

yeah it's been just over half a decade again (since Windows 7) that Windows upgrades haven't really made computers slower performing just as a matter of course

in comparison, our imacs and mac minis from like 3 years ago are absolutely choking to death on os x 10.10-11

2011 mac mini running 10.11 with an ssd running gr8

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

suffix posted:

your cpu is overheated from video decoding and needs to rest

[buy more FLOPberries in the intel store]

a FLOPberry can be bought for 10 SPARCs or for a limited time at our special discount rate of $200

SPARCs cost $10 each

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pffffft yeah right. just admit that what you really want is an excuse to throw out decades of legacy x86 software so that we can all "start fresh" or something

my code already runs on arm and Intel, I don't have to do anything to switch and I won't be throwing out anything.

Apr 7, 2003

It's me, the steam library that becomes obsolete overnight because no company is going to rewrite a three year old game for a new architecture.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

poty posted:

if you think thats bad wait until macos arm is announced at the wwdc
more like macos discontinued and replaced with ios

still lolling at the apple's surface ripoff "for creatives" that can't even run adobe's buggy garbage software that literally every "creative" uses. i mean it's a good idea b/c it means starting from scratch and allowing someone actually competent to create the replacement software for ios but still lomarf

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's me, the steam library that becomes obsolete overnight because no company is going to rewrite a three year old game for a new architecture.

yeah this is def a problem
but the cool solution to this is to make steamboxes a Windows appliance you stick in a closet and stream from

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ahmeni posted:

but the cool solution to this is to make steamboxes a Windows appliance you stick in a closet and stream from

Lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
dosbox but for windows 10

Apr 7, 2003

ahmeni posted:

you can't possibly be this dumb

Apr 7, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

dosbox but for windows 10

There are dosbox ports to ARM but because they're emulating an architecture it's slow as piss compared to running dosbox on i86.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A dual processor motherboard that runs an x86 processor in one socket and an ARM in the other.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Citizen Tayne posted:

The last desktop CPU I bought was an i5-3570k or whatever back in late 2012 and it's still perfectly serviceable.

I run one of these at 4.2ghz and I can confirm I would have to be an idiot to upgrade.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

virtualization means individual customers are buying way fewer chips than they ever did in the past. they might be doing okay today but the bottom is going to fall out in the server market and arm is going to start creeping in to the low/midrange market

cool now do one of these with storage or ram or any other aspect of a computer over any ten year period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

cool now do one of these with storage or ram or any other aspect of a computer over any ten year period

ssds are actually a huge leap in performance iirc

• Locked thread