Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Salt Fish posted:

A dual processor motherboard that runs an x86 processor in one socket and an ARM in the other.

I've looked into this. running a single system image on both is challenging due to the memory model differences and their incompatible atomic operations. AMD (lol) tried to fix the latter with the armv8.1 atomic instructions but they hosed it up pretty badly.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

I've looked into this. running a single system image on both is challenging due to the memory model differences and their incompatible atomic operations. AMD (lol) tried to fix the latter with the armv8.1 atomic instructions but they hosed it up pretty badly.

lol why would you take this seriously or look into it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol why would you take this seriously or look into it

because that's what they pay me to do.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

There are dosbox ports to ARM but because they're emulating an architecture it's slow as piss compared to running dosbox on i86.
and yet we can emulate a super gameboy flawlessly on x86? sounds like someone's not trying hard enough

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
with ssds almost no one notices or cares that they 5 year old compy doesnt have abrand new processor in it.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

because that's what they pay me to do.

Lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

nice worthless anecdote you worthless little bitch. go post some more in the superman and batman movie thread.

10 pages, now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why isn't pleasurekevin currently probated? please fix this, fyad.

Apr 7, 2003

GameCube posted:

why isn't pleasurekevin currently probated? please fix this, fyad.

Wasn't he originally a fyad poster?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

10 pages, now.

Goldmine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

god drat Smythe is good at making GBS threads up threads

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hard times for intel lay ahead, what with amd spinning up some serious competition! or uh, spinning up something, anyway

http://anandtech.com/show/10268/china-calling-amd-forms-joint-venture-for-x86-server-socs-in-china

quote:

The hereto unnamed joint venture will see AMD pair up with Tianjin Haiguang Advanced Technology Investment Co., Ltd (THATIC), whom is an investment arm of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The deal will, in a nutshell, see AMD provide the joint venture with x86 and SoC IP, along with significant engineering and other technical resources, while THATIC provides the remaining technical resources and the financing behind the venture.

looking forward to buying crap from alibaba with bizarro chinese CPUs. all the performance of AMD with all of the security of chinese hardware!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is China trying to reduce its dependence on Intel. if they ever get decent chips out of this you can expect them to start making it much harder to sell Intel chips in the domestic market

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

this is China trying to reduce its dependence on Intel. if they ever get decent chips out of this you can expect them to start making it much harder to sell Intel chips in the domestic market

didn't russia do the same thing but with arm chips?

Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

didn't russia do the same thing but with arm chips?

Soviet Russia had a very fine line of binary-compatible PDP-11 and IBM System 360 clones back in the day and the desktop computers on the soviet market in the mid to late 80s were essentially scaled down PDP-11s. The whole Soviet and Russian technology market is fascinating.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

They also had a ton of Z80 clones too

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

Intel chips are superior in servers for computationally intensive tasks, yes. that's always been true, I don't see why you're surprised.

power draw and heat are still really important in this scenario. but you know that and these idiots don't because it doesn't matter for games, so i'm not sure why i'm bringing it up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

power draw and heat are still really important in this scenario. but you know that and these idiots don't because it doesn't matter for games, so i'm not sure why i'm bringing it up

I really dumbed it down because every time I try to make a post that is encompassing of everything including design decisions and traded offs, process technologies, etc it turns into a million words and then I give up.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

never try anything ever

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I really dumbed it down because every time I try to make a post that is encompassing of everything including design decisions and traded offs, process technologies, etc it turns into a million words and then I give up.

post it to the realworldtech forums where people will understand, appreciate, and critique it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
No, post it here where a few ignorant people will make fun of it but a few other people will read it and appreciate your contribution without explicitly saying so.

Apr 7, 2003

Lmao if you seriously think the desktop / server market is going to drop everything and move to another architecture to gain some thermal / power advantages and lose performance advantages. Voicing that isn't "ignorant," it's the truth.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lmao if you seriously think the desktop / server market is going to drop everything and move to another architecture to gain some thermal / power advantages and lose performance advantages. Voicing that isn't "ignorant," it's the truth.

Ignorant people can still be right sometimes.

Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Ignorant people can still be right sometimes.

I guess it's your turn to be a stopped clock.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

they made the watch, they made the bigphone, they're making the car

they're gonna make an arm mac. guaranteed.

Apr 7, 2003

papa_november posted:

they made the watch, they made the bigphone, they're making the car

they're gonna make an arm mac. guaranteed.

Why would they make an ARM Mac? What advantage does switching Mac to ARM offer to Apple? What advantage does it offer to consumers?

Apr 7, 2003

Oh wait, I see what you're saying, Tim is desperate. He's destroying Apple.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

precisely

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why would they make an ARM Mac? What advantage does switching Mac to ARM offer to Apple? What advantage does it offer to consumers?

not paying intel money and better margins

Apr 7, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

not paying intel money and better margins

I wonder what the break-even is on saving a few bucks not paying Intel versus the tremendous expense to port everything (again).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

I wonder what the break-even is on saving a few bucks not paying Intel versus the tremendous expense to port everything (again).

Nah they'll just repurpose ios apps for desktop use. You can already see them eyeing that direction with ipad pro.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

they're doing fat binaries and from what I hear it would be mostly a matter of recompiling for the additional architecture. there would obviously have to be a lot of optimization work as well for CPU heavy stuff but I don't think its as bad as you're thinking. They learned a lot from the PPC to x86 move

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they're doing fat binaries and from what I hear it would be mostly a matter of recompiling for the additional architecture. there would obviously have to be a lot of optimization work as well for CPU heavy stuff but I don't think its as bad as you're thinking. They learned a lot from the PPC to x86 move

i don't think they learned anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if Apple switches to ARM, it will just continue to be a computer system intended for casual use by hipsters, and programmers who can't figure out how to install Linux

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

if Apple switches to ARM, it will just continue to be a computer system intended for casual use by hipsters, and programmers who can't figure out how to install Linux

sounds lucrative

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

a lot. apple has been building all kinds of custom poo poo into their SoCs, like Secure Enclave.

and Intel has really help them back because their chipset didn't support USB 3.0 for ages so Apple was amongst the last to support USB 3.0.

they could potentially move more quickly and create differentiating features in their products.

also, AMD has a semi-custom business now where you can put AMD cores in your own design.

they'll probably still stick with Intel but there's more valid reasons to switch now than ever.

Apr 7, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

a lot. apple has been building all kinds of custom poo poo into their SoCs, like Secure Enclave.

and Intel has really help them back because their chipset didn't support USB 3.0 for ages so Apple was amongst the last to support USB 3.0.

they could potentially move more quickly and create differentiating features in their products.

also, AMD has a semi-custom business now where you can put AMD cores in your own design.

they'll probably still stick with Intel but there's more valid reasons to switch now than ever.

Hmm.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

apple has a really good in house cpu team so yeah I could see them going down that road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ARM more like apple's ridiculous mistake!

• Locked thread