Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm considering upgrading to a new CPU and motherboard because I've run out of PCI Express lanes.

But in that case you're not actually upgrading, just sidegrading to a same-generation xeon that failed to make the proper bin and got i7 stamped on its lid instead.

Atom on the desktop is p good because it lets you buy $50 motherboards with passively cooled 15W CPUs that make for a perfectly serviceable nas

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

Good, lappy atoms are decent, I have an atom w10 tablet and it's nice and quiet cuz of passive cooling

same its actually a very good chip

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The last passive cooled pc I owned was a 486sx, and prior to that would have been an apple iic clone. Passive cooling is loving great, no idea why they moved away from it aside from "more mhz = better than"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it turns out computers create heat

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my G3 iBook was passively cooled.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my surface 3 lte is passively cooled

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
i wish my ballz were actively cooled

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

seems suspect. no moving parts but it creates heat? really? loving global warming all over again, nice try idiots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bloody posted:

they create less heat if you build them well & adjust their performance to your needs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bloody posted:

They do not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computers don't create heat, they just transfer it from the power plant to your bedroom

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for the tech bubble to pop. get hosed techcucks

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
man i wish i actually understood cpu architecture stuff instead of just white noise posting 'amd make more cores lol'

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its not too hard, cpu moes things around and bitshifts alot more or less

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just read the source to a couple emulators

or even the source code to a small CPU that can be run on an FPGA

you could also read "understanding digital computers" by Forrest M Mims III, either the 1978 or 1987 edition, which among other things walks through implementing a 4-bit CPU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and if you want to learn 3d modelling there are some really neat paleolithic cave paintings in the south of france you ought to check out

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Barnacle "Forrest" Jims III

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and if you want to learn 3d modelling there are some really neat paleolithic cave paintings in the south of france you ought to check out

this is a wildly inaccurate metaphor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just get some sand and an xacto knife

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I don't know, I usually find that as I learn more and more about a technology, the more it becomes apparent that all of the press about new advancements being groundbreaking and revolutionary is marketing hype and a lot of ideas are actually pretty old.

So, old writings and references are maybe surprisingly often still relevant and not out-of-date. Maybe computer architecture is different--I'm not a computer architecture buff so I don't know for sure--but I'd be shocked if it were.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

learning how a cpu is made is fine and all, but for the purposes of understanding the tradeoffs between two relatively closely related cpu implementations it is a very very long route to take. also, really, i don't think the information necessary to *really* understand the performance profile tradeoffs in e.g. skylake or twister or such is even at all publically available

obsessing over pointless isa details is notably popular, being a part that is actually available for public viewing, but it really is of rather limited actual relevance

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 4, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya theres one way to know whats going on inside an intel chip and it is to work at intel

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but unfortunately if you did work at intel you just got fired so lol rip

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Bloody posted:

this is a wildly inaccurate metaphor

it's not that long ago that the way to create the pretty pictures was: you'd grab a pile of dirt, mix into it your blood sweat and tears, then smear the mixture all over the fixed-function pipeline and hope to be eaten by a grue

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

it's not that long ago that the way to create the pretty pictures was: you'd grab a pile of dirt, mix into it your blood sweat and tears, then smear the mixture all over the fixed-function pipeline and hope to be eaten by a grue

http://adriansampson.net/blog/opengl.html

you always hear that OpenGL is a bit of a clusterfuck but mother of god you actually do runtime communication with strings?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Max Facetime posted:

oh didnt realize it was a gpu metaphor

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

DuckConference posted:

http://adriansampson.net/blog/opengl.html

you always hear that OpenGL is a bit of a clusterfuck but mother of god you actually do runtime communication with strings?

there's also the hugely sprawling state machine that you poke with methods that is the driver ...

and a complete inability to ever say no to vendor extensions

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bloody posted:

but unfortunately if you did work at intel you just got fired so lol rip

what if u worked... at amd

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dragon enthusiast posted:

what if u worked... at amd

Your last payday was 3 years ago

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Constant Hamprince posted:

man i wish i actually understood cpu architecture stuff instead of just white noise posting 'amd make more cores lol'

what dont you understand

feller
Jul 5, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

what dont you understand

why won't amd make more cores??

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cool and good posted:

they did. in fact, they made too many.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cool and good posted:

the bulldozer doubled the cores and kept on driving right through amd's bottom line.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I think at the time they assumed people would figure out how to use more cores but we did not

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

I think at the time they assumed people would figure out how to use more cores but we did not

pretty much everything uses job systems now so software can scale fairly well. the problem is that amd's 8 core space heater chips can barely keep up with an intel i3 when it comes to real-world tasks.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

PleasureKevin posted:

it's 2016 and i still run across single threaded applications lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i write single threaded applications

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

multithreading is insanely easy

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

but who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I chose my last PC based on single-thread performance because literally the only CPU-bound software I run is Dwarf Fortress

• Locked thread