Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
playground tough
I present to you a tactfully written article by some idiot at my school's joke of a news paper. happy 420 idiot

http://www.technicianonline.com/opinion/article_e68a1ede-0518-11e6-bd0a-038cae9da8ce.html

quote:

There is a growing trend in Raleigh and in the United States of people riding bicycles to get around. This is great for a lot of reasons: Bicycles don’t have the same environmental impact as cars and other motor vehicles; they are a healthy way to get around; and they are incredibly cost effective. For all of these reasons and more, I think bicycles are a great way to get from point A to point B. Unfortunately, these great benefits can come at a great cost when people ride their bikes in the street.

I understand why people ride their bikes in the street; it seems convenient for the most part. On the other hand, I have personally witnessed two instances of people crashing because of riding in the street. One was a driver’s fault and one was the fault of the cyclist herself.

The first time, I saw a pickup truck rear-end the bicycle in front of it. It seems to me that riding a bicycle in the street is very dangerous and not really worth the risk. Fortunately, in neither of the accidents that I saw did anyone get injured at all, but they could have. I know that especially in Raleigh there have been numerous bike lanes added to the streets to make them safer for cyclists, but they do not make it completely safe. The girl I saw fall over was in a bike lane, and she fell into the street in front of traffic. There is just not enough space even with bike lanes for cars and bicycles to interact safely.

If it is necessary to ride a bike, it may be a better idea to ride on the sidewalk. If you ride on the sidewalk, then if there is an accident, you are risking hitting people instead of cars. While this is not ideal, riding on the sidewalk significantly reduces the chance of serious injury.

Dangers aside, it seems like riding a bike would be very impractical. I am not trying to deny the benefits of riding a bike, but it seems like a bike is only practical for certain situations. One practical problem with bicycles is the problem of distance. A bicycle is not a convenient way to travel for long distances. In addition to distance, bicycles can’t carry a lot of things like cars or other forms of transportation. Bicycles also don’t protect the rider from extreme temperatures and weather. There are many practical issues with using bicycles.

The combination of practical issues and the danger of riding in the street seems to be enough to validate looking for other options. There is merit in riding a bike for recreation or exercise, in which case the practical problems would not apply, but if you are riding your bike for those reasons then there is no reason to ride in the street. Riding your bike for other reasons, like to get to work or school, may be a bad idea if you have to travel on roads. There are lots of other options for getting from place to place like cars, walking and public transportation. Using a bike for a main source of transportation is too dangerous and impractical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
that's written like a 10 year olds first big school assignment

if it was indeed written by a 10year old then I would give him a solid B, but no higher

FutonForensic

"Bicycles also don’t protect the rider from extreme temperatures and weather." Jim stopped writing. The grip on his fountain pen began to shake. He closed his eyes tight, and tried not to think back to that terrible day. The day he and his fiance went tornado BMXing.

MrWillsauce

lol that headline belongs in the onion

alnilam

FutonForensic posted:

"Bicycles also don’t protect the rider from extreme temperatures and weather." Jim stopped writing. The grip on his fountain pen began to shake. He closed his eyes tight, and tried not to think back to that terrible day. The day he and his fiance went tornado BMXing.

alnilam

Do bicycles go places as good as cars? What we found may shock you, tonight at 11.

MrWillsauce

Who Would Win in a Fight: a Bicycle or a Car?

FluffieDuckie

wait is this a high school or college newspaper? not that it matters much but i want to know how loud to laugh out loud

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

breakfast dorito

doritos form part of a healthy breakfast (in theory) and should not be used as a primary source of nutrition (you don't tell me how to live)
never mind that in most places in the world it is illegal to ride a bike on a footpath/sidewalk

FutonForensic

FluffieDuckie posted:

wait is this a high school or college newspaper? not that it matters much but i want to know how loud to laugh out loud

That's North Carolina State University, mi amigo

alnilam

Breakfast Dorito posted:

never mind that in most places in the world it is illegal to ride a bike on a footpath/sidewalk

and way more dangerous to all

FluffieDuckie

FutonForensic posted:

That's North Carolina State University, mi amigo

wow

FluffieDuckie

There are lots of other options for getting from place to place like cars, walking and public transportation

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

There are lots of other options for getting from place to place like cars, walking and public transportation

Robot Made of Meat

playground tough posted:

I understand why people ride their bikes in the street; it seems convenient for the most part. On the other hand, I have personally witnessed two instances of people crashing because of riding in the street.

I have personally seen more than two accidents involving cars driving on streets. Does that mean that the world would be safer if all cars drove on sidewalks?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FluffieDuckie

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I have personally seen more than two accidents involving cars driving on streets. Does that mean that the world would be safer if all cars drove on sidewalks?

yes

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I have personally witnessed at least two accidents involving tripping and falling while walking. When will we look around us at all the scraped knees and twisted ankles and decide that enough is enough?

FutonForensic

if this rube gets his way, we will be helpless to all but watch as our children are pulverized into the sidewalk pavement by Shwinn tires

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

FutonForensic posted:

~sig~

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
regis: today, we have a special guest on the show - jen, who is here to tell us abou bicycle trends. jen?
jen: thanks regis. lately, bicycles have two wheels, and those wheels are round.

alnilam

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

regis: today, we have a special guest on the show - jen, who is here to tell us abou bicycle trends. jen?
jen: thanks regis. lately, bicycles have two wheels, and those wheels are round.

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

that's written like a 10 year olds first big school assignment

if it was indeed written by a 10year old then I would give him a solid B, but no higher

FutonForensic

MrWillsauce

this kid has a future in american journalism

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

I have personally witnessed at least two accidents involving tripping and falling while walking. When will we look around us at all the scraped knees and twisted ankles and decide that enough is enough?

Coolness Averted

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MrWillsauce posted:

this kid has a future in american journalism

needs a second half of the article selling you a particular bike, herbal supplement or tv show

City of Glompton

google THIS

gently caress bikes
\

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
I saw a girl do something dumb on a bike so uhhhh bikes shouldn't be in the road

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
alnilam

it's hard being a regular car driver in these days of the bicycle trend

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
*sees bike lane* cheeky bastards

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
alnilam

why just the other day, a bicycle was in front of me and it held me up for as many as 8 seconds before i could finally pass him - of course I'm not a jerk so i gave him a nice 1 ft buffer - so at the next red light i had 8 fewer seconds to dick around with my phone. needless to say that's not happening now because here i am writing this post. Gotta make the best use I can of these ridiculous 15mph school zones.

Coolness Averted

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

google THIS posted:

gently caress bikes

no those are a different product

google THIS

eventually the bicycle trend will pass and we'll wonder what the big deal was

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
my bike has four wheels but mom and dad say that one day they will take off the two little ones in the back and let me ride like a big boy though somedays i wish i could still ride my little three wheeled bike. :( also there will be a freshman mixer dance in the student union tonight at 7pm, tickets are available in the campus center gift shop.

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

my bike has four wheels but mom and dad say that one day they will take off the two little ones in the back and let me ride like a big boy though somedays i wish i could still ride my little three wheeled bike. :( also there will be a freshman mixer dance in the student union tonight at 7pm, tickets are available in the campus center gift shop.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

google THIS

Luvcow posted:

fuck. marry. t-rex

I didn't read your article but I live in Carrboro, that's all OP.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Accidentally red the article, it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

playground tough

FluffieDuckie posted:

• Locked thread