Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:siren:Awesome crazy person, The Dark Id is currently doing an LP of this game, which you all should check out. Kindly refrain from posting spoilers in his thread, thank you. :siren:

quote:

IMPORTANT! If you're downloading the game - it's a 50GB install - DON'T start the game until the all 50GB is downloaded! It can make weird bugs appear ingame, which are currently only resovable by deleting, and then reinstigating system data.

Instant Grat posted:

PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
  • Your GPU or monitor upscales that again to the selected res.
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

More details from the modder himself: Link
Here's an update patch to the above!
Click here!

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: Found a new link I trusted, all good.
https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/

Platform - PS4 and PC! :steam:
Genre - Action RPG
A demo is available on the PSN.

Nier: Automata is the sequel to the cult, melancholy-fest, Nier: Gestalt/Replicant.

In a year of impossible game announcements, a sequel to Nier was probably one of the most unexpected.

Even more so as was being developed by action-game gods Platinum Games - makers of Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Wonderful 101 and many many many other pretty loving awesome action games - and appears to carry-on their stylistic combat design. Specifically, it's being overseen by the producer from MGR:Revengeance, Atsushi Inaba.

In addition, it's directed by insane, occasional sock-puppet, moon-man, and lovable sith lord, Yoko Taro, and scored by Keiichi Okabe - composer behind Nier and Drakengard 3's pretty amazing soundtracks.

And this soundtrack is shaping up to be pretty great.

---
Nier?
Nier was the story of a man, called Nier - a father (NieR: Gestalt), or a brother (NieR: Replicant) - depending on the version - trying to survive in a dying world, and save his daughter (or sister), Yonah, from a fatal disease.
On his travels, he meets a magical, snide-talking tome, the Grimoire Weiss, the foul-mouthed, aggressive, and oddly-dressed, Kainé, and the sweet, and rather innocent, Emil.

The gameplay is mostly an okay hack-and-slash with RPG elements, though it occasionaly shifts genre for variety.
But the real draw, and what makes the game really great, is the interaction between the characters; the bounce and fizzle of their clashing-or-complimentary personalities, their complaints, and their comradery, aided by the extremely good voice acting.

Also, the great music. The loving music man. The absolutely loving amazing music.

Do I need to have played the first Nier game?
No. While it will have connections to the first game (and by extension the Drakengard series), it will apparently be able to be enjoyed without any prior knowledge of the first game. I'd seriously recommend playing it though.

Draken..what?
Drakengard was an early SE hack-and-slash dynasty warriors clone for the PS2 - the gameplay was terrible but the grimdark atomsphere, characters and setting kept people morbidly intererested. One of its many endings ties directly into Nier, making them share the same universe, and there are many recurring weapons and concepts in the series. All three Drakengard games, and Nier, were LP'd by The Dark Id, and there is currently an ongoing Nier LP by JordanKai.

---
The Setting

quote:

The future.

Aliens have invaded.

Against their armies of "Living Machines", mankind has been driven from the planet, and retreated to the Moon.
To fight back, humanity has created the elite android fighting force, "YoRHa" to take back the planet.

The Earth is their battlefield.
---

Characters:

Main Character: 2B - "YoRHa No. 2 Model B"

Deployed as a member of the YoRHA android unit, 2B is an all-purpose battle model android. She uses a sword for close-ranged combat and a “Pod” as part of her support system that lets her attack from long range. Since usually she keeps her visor on for battle purposes, her eyes are rarely seen.

Other Characters - :siren: Spoilers for Nier:siren:
---
DLC

Yeah so some DLC has been announced. Known things it includes are some new duds for the main characters, and access to an underground fighting arena, where the player can fight large hordes of enemies and The CEOs of Square Enix and Platinum Games. Not even joking!

:siren:Limited SE Store/Japan Only Black Special Edition:siren:

*Game and Special presentation box
*Artbook
*Novella (JP only)
*Soundtrack
*2-B Statuette

:siren: :steam: Steam Pre-orders :steam::siren:

Trailers
NieR New Project - E3 2015 Teaser Trailer
NieR: Automata - Paris Games Week 2015 Reveal Trailer
Cast and Japanese VA Trailer 2016
E3 2016 Trailer
Boss Battle Trailer
Playstation Press Conference 2016
TGS 2016 Trailer
Arsenal of Elegant Destruction

Misc
Nier Sequel Reaction by Robin Schweiger
A Message to Our Fans - Yoko Taro follow-up
A Special Message From Yoko Taro
Concert Gameplay Footage 1
Concert Gameplay Footage 2
Nier Panel
15 mins of gameplay
TGS 20 mins of gameplay footage!

Dev Blog

Art
2Butt, 9Ass, and ATush

Screenshots

---

"Leave me on the floor. Leave me here." - Yoko Taro

"Yoko died."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The fact that this series keeps continuing feels like we ended up getting the Bad Ending in this world and now Yoko Taro continues to torment us.

I am ready for this game though. Not even he's sure why Square keeps giving him money, but I'm glad they do.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Nier is the best. I love how by not playing it is actually the best ending.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It appears that the Nier and PG devs are going to be discussing some Automata stuff at E3 (THURSDAY, JUNE 16 10AM-11AM PDT), as just a heads-up for anyone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm seriously so hyped for this game. Nier was probably one of the most interesting and touching games of last gen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

The fact that this series keeps continuing feels like we ended up getting the Bad Ending in this world and now Yoko Taro continues to torment us.

I am ready for this game though. Not even he's sure why Square keeps giving him money, but I'm glad they do.

All three drakengard games are legitimately terrible and there's somehow three of them. Nier's okay so it getting a sequel at least makes SOME kind of sense.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

All three drakengard games are legitimately terrible and there's somehow three of them. Nier's okay so it getting a sequel at least makes SOME kind of sense.

Terrible to PLAY, sure, but they are a wonder to experience.

(well, maybe not 2)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There was a time that being developed by Platinum caused me to be interested, but after so many flops recently I can't really bring myself to care about any new games they are making.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There was a time that being developed by Platinum caused me to be interested, but after so many flops recently I can't really bring myself to care about any new games they are making.

I'll say right now that this is a dumb opinion to hold.

Their Activision games were provided with limited budget and tight deadlines and they only assisted with programming duties for Star Fox. Platinum hasn't developed and released a full, big-name title since Bayonetta 2. Everything since then has just been grunt work to keep the lights on.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
And even with those restrictions Transformers was loving incredible.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Terrible to PLAY, sure, but they are a wonder to experience.

(well, maybe not 2)

They're kind of funny but in a South Park way that doesn't really hold up. Speaking just about the actual Dakengard-named-Drakengards it's not like they're that well written or anything.

I mean Drakengard was one of the first games I ever played so I have a nostalgia for it, but it's really not that great.

e: I liked Nier at first but when I found out it was a Taro Yoko game I basically got to predict the rest of the plot so I'll give it a B-. :v:

Oxxidation posted:

I'll say right now that this is a dumb opinion to hold.

Their Activision games were provided with limited budget and tight deadlines and they only assisted with programming duties for Star Fox. Platinum hasn't developed and released a full, big-name title since Bayonetta 2. Everything since then has just been grunt work to keep the lights on.

Personally I think Bayonetta isn't that great and Bayonetta 2 is not that great but also more of the same. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 13, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Anatharon posted:

Personally I think Bayonetta isn't that great and Bayonetta 2 is not that great but also more of the same. :shrug:

Well,as long as you admit that MGR is sicknasty (or at least has sicknasty boss fights),you can still be saved. If not...I don't know you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Well,as long as you admit that MGR is sicknasty (or at least has sicknasty boss fights),you can still be saved. If not...I don't know you.

MGR is one of the best games ever and possibly our greatest achievement, as a species.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Anatharon posted:

MGR is one of the best games ever and possibly our greatest achievement, as a species.

That is the correct best answer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am hype as gently caress for the amazing nier to play like the amazing mgrr

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I wasn't thrilled by Bayo2 either (God I hated Loki) but the combat was still tight as a drum, which is what you need to look out for when Platinum's on duty. It's their budget titles like TMNT and Korra that lacked well-developed combat mechanics, and got rightly lambasted for it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

They're kind of funny but in a South Park way that doesn't really hold up. Speaking just about the actual Dakengard-named-Drakengards it's not like they're that well written or anything.

I mean Drakengard was one of the first games I ever played so I have a nostalgia for it, but it's really not that great.

Even Drakengard 1 does interesting things that aren't really found anywhere else. It's the most vicious pisstake of the "Dynasty Warriors" genre i've ever seen. It goes beyond even making you play the bad guy, you're playing more of a kind of violent force of nature. When that NPC begs you to save the village from attackers, the chapter load text makes it very clear that Caim's motivation to follow the request is not to save people, but to kill people.
Even the music is very interesting and completely unlike any other video game music: It's a mess of droning, repeating hacked up pieces of classical music that can make you physically uncomfortable listening to it. It's exremely effective at getting across its themes and purpose, even at the expense of, well, you know, being "awful" in the sense that you probably don't want to listen to it.

I despise South Park so i'm not sure where exatly your parallel would be here, but i'm guessing it's the way it goes full grindark by loading up your party with pedopiles, cannibals, racist genociders and other such lovely people. Blunt doesn't mean "bad writing" though. It's just to make you hate all of them, basically.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Speaking of MGR,I wonder if this game is gonna have a surprise Armstrong-like final boss,like the Korra game did. Except, like everything from the Korraverse,he was super lame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Even Drakengard 1 does interesting things that aren't really found anywhere else. It's the most vicious pisstake of the "Dynasty Warriors" genre i've ever seen. It goes beyond even making you play the bad guy, you're playing more of a kind of violent force of nature. When that NPC begs you to save the village from attackers, the chapter load text makes it very clear that Caim's motivation to follow the request is not to save people, but to kill people.
Even the music is very interesting and completely unlike any other video game music: It's a mess of droning, repeating hacked up pieces of classical music that can make you physically uncomfortable listening to it. It's exremely effective at getting across its themes and purpose, even at the expense of, well, you know, being "awful" in the sense that you probably don't want to listen to it.

I despise South Park so i'm not sure where exatly your parallel would be here, but i'm guessing it's the way it goes full grindark by loading up your party with pedopiles, cannibals, racist genociders and other such lovely people. Blunt doesn't mean "bad writing" though. It's just to make you hate all of them, basically.

In my eyes, it kinda blows it's load early on it terms of what it has to show you and then you're just left with an unpleasent mess, with hours of more of basically the same. If you can manage to keep at it, it's probably just for "what over the top bad thing is going to happen next?" as opposed to any actual sense of investment in what happens. Compared to say, Postal, which is another game that sort of has you going "wow this is pretty messed up" but it at least has a ramping challenge and passable gameplay.

There's stuff like the rhythem game and babies falling from the sky but at best I'd call that too little too late.

Really what's GOOD about the writing?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 13, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am semi-confident they can make this work better than the last few titles and then port it to PC. No point in getting hyped if it won't work for your system of choice.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anatharon posted:

You can like what you like but I can't imagine loving MGR and not getting excited by Bayonetta, or vice versa. I know they play differently but both are some of my favorite games of the console generation and I couldn't really pick which one I like more.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Hope Ending E deletes your install while the player character crawls through a microwave hallway during the totally going to happen rhythm final boss sequence.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The combat is going to be so good. Can't wait.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Anatharon posted:

In my eyes, it kinda blows it's load early on it terms of what it has to show you and then you're just left with an unpleasent mess, with hours of more of basically the same. If you can manage to keep at it, it's probably just for "what over the top bad thing is going to happen next?" as opposed to any actual sense of investment in what happens. Compared to say, Postal, which is another game that sort of has you going "wow this is pretty messed up" but it at least has a ramping challenge and passable gameplay.

There's stuff like the rhythem game and babies falling from the sky but at best I'd call that too little too late.

Really what's GOOD about the writing?

It got some response out of me that wasn't just complete boredom, which is a lot more than most RPGS can say. The game shouldn't have gotten as many sequels as it did, but I can still appreciate them.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to graphically carve up robots

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXRi5zPPjk

New trailer that Sony didn't bother to show for some dumb reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

game probably coming in march. early 2017 usually means that. next year Q1 looks loving insane

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

InnercityGriot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXRi5zPPjk

New trailer that Sony didn't bother to show for some dumb reason.

Thanks! Added to OP.

I'm liking what I'm hearing and seeing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nier Panel
15 mins of gameplay
Boss battle with the Persona-esque diva boss

-PANEL-
Originally wanted to call the game Nier: Android, but a discussion with SE wanted them to change it to something less generic.
9S will be playable at certain points in the game, but there will be some differences between the characters.
"Blindfolds" are actually goggles.
Still retains RPG elements from Nier - sidequests, items, and upgrades.
Also uses the 2.5D perspective from Nier at select points.
Town area - populated by "the Resistance".

-MECHANICS-
Two weapons equipable at once (assigned to sqaure and triangle, similar to Bayonetta), with a weapon switch.
Three weapon types thus far; long sword, short sword and gauntlet/fist weapons. As well as Pod which shoots bullets (and serves like Weiss did in Nier)
Unlockable moves and actions throughout the game.
Perfect Dodge mechanic - allows for a counter-attack.
Players will be able to customise controls
Lock-on available.

-Art-

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nier Automata is coming to Steam! :steam:

Also Emi Evans singing the main theme.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

congrats on getting goty on your platform pc gamers!!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the neir theme better than the automata theme but its still real good

edit: nm i like them about the same i got snow in summer confused with hills of the radiant winds which is like zelda theme levels of amazing/impactful game music for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZmzLzvJo8

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 18, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Holy poo poo, yessssss. I had resigned myself to buying a PS4, but now I can continue to put it off. Much love, Dark Lord Taro.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nioh and gravity rush 2 will get you eventually

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Glad this is coming out on pc, cbf with current gen consoles! If they'd port the original to pc I could pretty much chuck out my old 360.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm hearing a lot of talk that drakenguard 3 knowledge is going to be important for neir automata. what from the preview material is making people think this?

also are there any good summaries of what will be important to know? i don't have ps3 to play the game for myself

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm hearing a lot of talk that drakenguard 3 knowledge is going to be important for neir automata.

I haven't heard anything of the sort but I liked Drakengard 3 way more than I should have so if some of it carries into Automata I will be happy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i watched the neir endings again on the best friends play youtube channel to refresh my memory and the guy on there kept saying it. so i googled if they are connected and wikipedia says that characters from neir and dg3 will be mentioned in the game.

i can't figure out what the source of this info is cause i doubt i need to know everything from what appears to be a very hosed up story from the synopsis i just watched but i'd like to know what characters/references are supposed to be in the game and how some canadian lets player is so sure that they're there

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Emil is probably somewhere, as the monsters sort of look similar aesthetically in the head region. The Drakengard 3 thing is pretty spoilery so here goes, there's a bunch of human looking robots running around in Drakengard 3 who are recording the timelines and various splits that certain decisions and changes create, so people assume they'll be here too as this is a game about automatons.

Neither of these are confirmed, they're just based on speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you mean Accord?

i found an article claiming she's the one being talked about and using this as a source but its in japanese. http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/068/1068126/