Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Uh, quick question from someone very new at this game. It seems like dying can reset your level progress, but not your quests? I did the stamp collection at the Amusement Park and went from 13 to 14, and then I tried the parade guard dealy and got massacred. I hadn't saved in a bit, and I noticed I got knocked back to 13, but then I went into my cleared quests and sure enough, stamp collecting still showed as cleared.

Could you potentially get hosed over this way? Gain levels via quest, then lose levels and not be able to do the quest again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Begemot posted:

You get your xp back when you recover your body.

Oh cool, thanks. :darksouls:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do wonder how many polygons are involved in making 2B's lovingly rendered rear end.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo. I just googled it and apparently there are more polygons in 2B's butt than in the entirety of the Ocarina of Time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RoadCrewWorker posted:

i don't need google to tell you that the same goes for your avatar

but the only thing that comparison illustrates is that it's not quantity that matters,

butt quality

All the butt quality in MEA was reserved for Cora.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

...! posted:

People had trouble with Hegel? I had to actually look up that boss to remember which one you guys were talking about. The fight seemed pretty straightforward to me, just like every other boss fight. :confused:

Oh wow go gently caress yourself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Missile pod still works great on him yes
and makes the fight fun tho lol no

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Could you back up your saves to a USB or something?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm trying to wrap up sidequests and I seem to be missing one in Chapter 3?

It's a 9S sidequest apparently, and I've already done Heritage of the Past. I've scoured the map and I don't see any more quest markers and I think the next part of the main mission will close out the chapter. Any ideas? Googling has done nothing but produce extremely unhelpful "full sidequest lists" that aren't organized by character or chapter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. It starts with a rapidly genre-shifting half-hour mission with no save points and a unique ending for when you fail, goes to a robo-orgy, and then just where most games start having the "is the enemy really the enemy" scenes, Automata skips straight to having Machines running an amusement park and throwing you a friendly parade.

Man the opening hours of Automata are really fuckin memorable

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have to admit, one of the things that I am most excited about playing Nier: Replicant right nowis that when I'm done, I have an awesome reason to replay Nier: Automata and have a few things given context.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Am I doing fishing right? I'm poor so I bought a bunch of lug worms to farm for sardines, assuming that the fishing quest went sardines -> blowfish meaning I would use the sardines as bait for the blowfish. But uh, I used all my sardines and got a few rusty buckets, a tin can, and a lot of aquatic plants. No fish.

Augus posted:

you only need to do 30 sidequests total to get Platinum anyway.
the tried and true formula still holds: if it's convenient to do, awards a weapon (or boar drifting), or seems like it might be an interesting story, do it. if it's a pain in the rear end that requires five hours of grinding in the junk heap, skip it.

Also this sounds good to me because a lot of these quests are tedious, but is there a point where money is no longer a concern? Because, trying to avoid too many spoilers, I know I need to get all weapons in part 1 before moving on, and beastbain is pretty much unreachable after buying the new weapon that popped up in facade and getting some upgrade mats for my Virtuous Contract.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man body despawn is awfully aggressive for a game with so many quests for rare bare asses.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh my god I am feeling extremely well trolled by that Runaway Son sidequest. The conclusion should have been obvious a mile away but I was too distracted by the kid's stupid hat lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just met Emil for the first time and dude seems remarkably chill for living in a haunted mansion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finished act 1 for the first time ever and holy poo poo I was so angry at first lmao. Nier: Automata spoilers and Act 1 spoilers ahoy: When Kainé lets Emil petrify her to save the group from the big shade, I thought that was it, and it was going to be like, you get Kainé in act 1 and Emil for act 2 or something, because I thought it would be sort of like going from 2B to A2 except with supporting characters. I am glad that you can pretty much load up act 2 and do one story mission and then you have the band back together. Although I do hope Emil's transformation gets expanded on a little because what the gently caress.

Also while I enjoyed the characters in Automata, the trio of Kainé, Nier, and Weiss that you have for most of the 1st act is just so good. The voice actors sell these characters perfectly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZZZorcerer posted:

Weiss reaction to sidequests is exactly how I feel (in this game and in others)

Yeah it's loving perfect!

Also in a similar vein, I like how (beginning of act 2 spoilers) Nier becomes at odds with Devola and Popola, but the protagonist realizes he overreacted and that they didn't really have a choice, and apologizes. And Devola and Popola recognize exactly why he's upset and also apologize. The whole thing felt very grown up and nuanced in a way you don't see in a lot of pop culture right now where the smallest disagreements need to be mined for conflict and fallout forever. Very refreshing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Went back to the forest of myth for the first time in act 2 and gotta say, "Well, this place is gloomy as hell." would be a great thread title.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Suffering chills and total body ache after moderna #2 yesterday and I gotta say lying on the couch wishing for death seems like a good time for some nier

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Feel better! I had moderna #2 on Friday and yesterday I felt awful all day. Body aches, slight fever and sore throat. But today I feel much better so hopefully you will tomorrow.

I did finish all the part 1 quests though lol

Lmao I did all the part 1 quests when I felt healthy and I'm working on part 2 now. Some stuff in this game is just cruel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

First the Nier Automata DLC has Nier Replicant costumes and now Nier Replicant has free DLC with Automata costumes. What a time to be alive

And yet I can dress my pod up in Weiss cosplay but I cannot put Weiss in pod cosplay. This is an affront and must be corrected post haste.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man the music in this game is top notch but all the areas you go back to repeatedly really needed a few remixes or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hahaha holy gently caress I am in the end sequence of act 2 for the very first time and Weiss is literally the loving days from retirement veteran cop character what the gently caress is this game even lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the book in Nier's house (route b) the dlc? I'm in a weird white space killing shades as papa Nier and just had a very bizarre rail shooter experience through Facade.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay wrapped up the dlc and put everyone in Samurai outfits and Emil's look is amazing. No regrets. However, I also noticed there was a new option for "magic orbs" in wardrobe called "Emil" and thought, "oh that probably changes the magic from red to purple, cool, I want that!" It does not do that at ALL :gonk:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

I just did that last night. The music is...odd and the rail shooter section is just totally :pysduck: and out of place.

I'm just glad it has no plot relevance so I can never touch it again.

What, you not a fan of exceedingly edgelord metal versions of Nier's excellent soundtrack? The rail shooter thing was bizarre because nothing was actually attacking me? I'm playing on easy because I'm lazy so maybe it's different on other modes but that was weird af.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

I remember picking that option in Automata once and having the exact same reaction.

Haven't played around with any of the alternate costumes I unlocked, although I heard Kaine's are somehow even more naked which...how is that possible?

Ehhh, I mean they are in the sense that she loses the little chamis thing but both of them cover up more of her boobs than the default outfit. Tbh I don't think a single outfit does her character justice but the dlc ones just kinda look like skimpy armor from a 90s fantasy rpg or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

Yeah it was extremely weird. (route B dlc) They all just...stood there. It felt like a shooting gallery.

I initially tried doing it on hard and gave up in frustration at the room with 3 boars :gonk:

Now that I have all weapons upgraded the only reason to play on Hard is for the challenge itself and actually requiring some thought in combat since I don't need the increased drop chance.

I'm playing on easy with auto battle set to manage my magic for me, it owns because I just around mashing buttons and get to feel like an omega level mutant or something, it's great

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soysaucebeast posted:

I was running through all that at level 25 or so and I was able to muscle through that room, but the one with the broken bridges that you have to keep jumping down ended up getting me killed. That boss one shot me. I'm debating on if I want to go back and finish it since I got all the weapons and outfit swaps in there. Are there any other rewards I should go back for?

There is a section where you get a ton of rare weapon upgrade mats, but I can't remember now if that's before or after the section you are on, I think you've already gotten through the part that drops all the good stuff. You do get an achievement for completing the dlc and it will be a lot more manageable if you come back around level 30. Also don't forget to pop strength/defense buffs for bosses if you're having trouble.

Also on route b now and getting to spend some more time with red bag guy is nice. rip to a true king, get them apples son

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really like how the auto battler uses all of Nier's spells, not just the 2-4 that you have equipped, yeah. Makes everything much cooler and cinematic, and the AI is actually kind of half-decent about using them intelligently, too. Not perfect, but better than I expected, and it seems to prioritize switching things up for variety's sake instead of just spamming the most effective spell over and over again, which I think is a nice touch for a feature that's only available on easy mode.

Yeah, I love when it drops a timely dark execution and I can just wade in mashing "b" to get a bunch of easy kills. I think being able to have all sealed verses essentially available via auto control is what "sealed" the deal for me about playing on this mode, because it looks amazing and makes you feel like a god tier badass. I'm playing this for the story, gameplay is an improvement over the original but I feel like this is a perfectly cromulent way to experience Nier.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wow I guess the game is telling me to go gently caress myself wrt machine oil. Across an entire rear end act 1 and act 2 and most of a route b and I've had a single drop. Forget weapon upgrades, I can't even finish the map sidequest. Wish you could just buy this poo poo, at this point money has no use and I'm rolling in it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have you set the drop rate boosting words on all your weapons and spells?

I was drowning in machine oil by the time I finished farming weapon upgrade mats in the junk heap. I’d get 2-3 per run through the complex.

I have the highest ones I have (12%) stacked on both weapons and magic. :smith:

At some point I need to rerun the third dlc chapter because it might be a good source of rare mat farming if it wasn't just guaranteed rate drops in the first time through. I got multiple pyrite, gold ore, eagle egg, and some others the first time I ran through it, from some boxes.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soysaucebeast posted:

It took me about 2-3 hours of farming after I posted here earlier today. I just put on a podcast and went HAM. Honestly, if I didn't need to complete that quest to get all the weapons I might have given up.

Also, I just finished Loyal Cerberus on route B and gently caress me it still makes me break down sobbing. The first time I played through the original game, I had put down my dog a few months beforehand so I thought my reaction then was just because of that. NOPE. Literally no other quest line in the entire drat game gives me as much of a reaction as that one.

Yeah I just got the first route b version of that quest done and uh god drat. Did not think they would get me there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not missing a “pause cutscene” button am I? PC if it matters

The only way I have found to pause cutscenes on xbox is to open the guide, so as far as the pc goes you might be able to accomplish this by alt-tabbing the focus away from the game?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boogalo posted:

Only if you want a nice shiny clear file with ABC on it.

(I did)

Does the game delete multiple saves if you copied them at some point? I was thinking of just making a copy before I go through C-E so that I can just come back and do the last grindy bits like gardening/weapon upgrades at my leisure.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

It'll delete anything with the name you used

Oh gently caress welp. :yokotaro:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On route C now and my biggest wish is for Kainé to share with me her spooky Watson shortcut for the mine cart section in the Junk Heap just once in her life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know what drop rates y'all have unlocked but going through the junk Heap again with 20% drop rate unlocked still feels like comical levels of "lmao go gently caress yourself wrt rare drops."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta say seems worth it to go through (ending A/B spoilers) Shadowlords tower on each and every ending if nothing else for Weiss's little hopping animation. It loving slays me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think ending e fuckin owned and I would absolutely take a game of Kainé and the Fuckin' Book's Big poo poo Stomping Adventure ft. Good Boys Nier and Emil however Kainé's Naruto run is distractingly stupid looking and if I had to choose between a sensible outfit for Kainé or getting rid of that dumbass animation then ludicrously horny it is.