Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am hype as gently caress for the amazing nier to play like the amazing mgrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

game probably coming in march. early 2017 usually means that. next year Q1 looks loving insane

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

congrats on getting goty on your platform pc gamers!!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the neir theme better than the automata theme but its still real good

edit: nm i like them about the same i got snow in summer confused with hills of the radiant winds which is like zelda theme levels of amazing/impactful game music for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZmzLzvJo8

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 18, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nioh and gravity rush 2 will get you eventually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm hearing a lot of talk that drakenguard 3 knowledge is going to be important for neir automata. what from the preview material is making people think this?

also are there any good summaries of what will be important to know? i don't have ps3 to play the game for myself

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i watched the neir endings again on the best friends play youtube channel to refresh my memory and the guy on there kept saying it. so i googled if they are connected and wikipedia says that characters from neir and dg3 will be mentioned in the game.

i can't figure out what the source of this info is cause i doubt i need to know everything from what appears to be a very hosed up story from the synopsis i just watched but i'd like to know what characters/references are supposed to be in the game and how some canadian lets player is so sure that they're there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you mean Accord?

i found an article claiming she's the one being talked about and using this as a source but its in japanese. http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/068/1068126/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the 80's cellphone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would kiss the gently caress out of yoko taro's sweaty emil masked face if he get the NA version out before next summer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Overlord K posted:

Though I'm also surprised how many people seem to be having interest in the PC version over PS4...

SA skews pc more than the general public i'd expect.
i'm gonna buy for ps4 but i hope they do a good pc port for those who aren't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did SE say who was porting?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Abhorrence posted:

Boar drifting is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEraGFZWoM&t=1241s

Edit: With bonus moose drifting!

moose drifting too
yoko taro is my hero

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 1, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all i need is a story trailer that confirms some strong characters exist and i'll hit peak hype. i'm a tiny bit worried that the protags are emotionless robots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a good story summary for Nier?

I bought it and played it for 10 hours before my 360 died an couldn't get it replaced. I've heard that the ending is incredible so I've been able to avoid spoilers. Now I want to know.

if you are hell bent on not playing it you can watch the best friends completionist lp of it that they did this summer i guess. they don't waste too much time and play through all 4 endings with good commentary

playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ynpA5rGEo

like the story is just kinda a weird jrpg video game story the genius of it is how the game makes you love its characters and constantly fucks with you by changing the core gameplay and shifting the players perspective on his/her actions through multiple playthroughs.

also the music is about 40% of the reason i love the game so you'd want to hear that too probably.

if you played the first few hours you probably never got to any of the great poo poo beyond maybe when it first started getting weird

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 2, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Liver Disaster posted:

It's generous to call garbage a species.

:fry:

but

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what's the shotgun counter? i beat the demo no problem and didn't get a shotgun that i see mentioned on this page.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Dodge->R1

You get unique counters for each each of Light/Heavy/Gun.

playing again right away!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

playing again right away!

OMG thanks so much its even better than before!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A pretty promising demo, although I fear it doesn't quite demonstrate how the full game will work. Nier was vaguely open-world, with a few spacious field zones spreading out its towns and dungeons. I wonder if any of that is retained or if the game is basically linear in terms of levels and stages.

That said, this feels like a bold and smart evolution of Nier's core gameplay, placing more emphasis on the action but not skipping the fluid and varied changes in gameplay that made Nier so compelling. I feel like they kind of took too much inspiration from the sequence under Emil's Mansion but at the same time, the ever-changing perspective helps spice up the combat and emphasises the shooting mechanics.

Shooting AND comboing attacks is tough to wrap around but I felt pretty decent at it by the demo's end.

Do the harder difficulties do the traditional Platinum thing and have different enemy types, or is the demo limited to cute robots and giant saw arms?

they have showed several open world zones and a town area in gameplay demonstrations this year

boar and elk drifting ftw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

ELK DRIFTING!?!?!?!

yes there are now many driftable beasts. truly sequelitis bloat has destroyed another proud franchise

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kaine is my very good friend and had a rough childhood thank you for not criticizing her.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nina posted:

I see a lot of streamers

problem located

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sharrrk posted:

haven't seen anyone else talk about this but if you rub the touch pad 2B pets the robot buddy. that's important, i think

goty

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe he edited the cutscenes?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

YT puppet talks about how 9/11 changed everything about his perspective on videogame violence

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brainamp posted:

Nier trades insanity for heartrending sadness. I think it's the last game I actually cried at the (final) end of.

YT says that his understanding of player characters changed from "they must be insane to kill so much" to "they must really think they are right to kill so much" in making nier and that shift creates the basis for tragedy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yoko: This emil plush pillow is a great item for your to throw when you’re pissed off girls in order to feel better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

clone on the phone posted:

Visually this game is pretty uninspired and dull

no

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was the 4400th most preordered game on amazon while neir is like the 80th so if they had to cut fat the market research was done for them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was gonna be on pc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I get a feeling in a year or two we'll see the comments saying they overreached themselves with multiplayer and could have had an okay game if they restricted themselves to the offline campaign.

rumors already out now that ms wanted to make the game into a esport or minecraft style money hole and jerked platinum around over it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They just need one of these projects to actually come out so they can buy out the studio, change its name to be referential of the game they made, and force them to make the same game every 12-24 months forever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They've had a few big leadership changes and new MS CEO with new priorities

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eezee posted:

Can you play most games fine with the non-pro version?

yeah and neir runs smooth on it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

first time i played vanquish i couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss. then i got gud and its the best shooter of all time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

Not an LP, but this guy is doing an analysis of Nier in preparation for the release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw

Now whether you'd rather listen to a youtube personality do the youtube personality thing or watch someone play Nier over and over again to get the whole story is between you and your therapist.

super best friends did a decent nier all endings play through this summer. all they skipped was the weapon collection stuff by doing it off camera.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are inter-dimensional android time police in this universe so anything is possible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kaislioc posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nier-automata/nier-remaster

No news for PC version, but “There is a very high possibility” of a NieR remaster if Automata “sells like hotcakes” :allears:

i'd need something interesting about it besides higher resolution graphics to get excited to pay for it again but i'd hope pc players could get a crack at it cause its drat good so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I hope I haven't asked this too late, but is the demo time-limited or is it just ... a demo... that will last forever? I have nier and I am playing it now (I'm at the sand temple, how far am I?) and want to finish it then play the demo.

you're not that far into the game. you'll know when you are at the half way point because its epic as gently caress and a total energy reset for the plot.