Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just played the demo, which was a fairly linear action level. Is the main game mostly in that vein or is it more open worldish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

warhammer651 posted:

More open worldy with Standard action levely bits in between, along with some classic SHMUP and twin stick shooter bits.

Ok cool. Poor as gently caress so gonna just gamefly both this and horizon zero dawn next week, maybe keep 1 of the two if some seems more likely than the other to still be playing after a month.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got this delivered on a Gamefly rental today, really loving it so far. Tried hard mode out because I didn't really like using lock-on anyway, died a whole bunch, then decided to just play normal but unbind lock-on to have a second evade button.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's a good game, but it's emotionally draining as hell.

Good to hear that. Early enough in right now that I can see things starting to go in interesting directions but not far in enough to know how well it executes the stuff it's setting up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished route A. Real loving good so far. Kind of curious like what % of the game's main story route A comprises though.

Also, does anyone have a high res screenshot of the final shot in Route A's ending of 2B standing on Machine-9S's hand? Want to make it my new desktop wallpaper.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Archer666 posted:

I just had a long talk with a friend regarding Adam and it kinda threw me for a loop. Mostly what his motivation and reason for doing what he's doing through the game. Spoilers for route B and everything relating to Adam.

Basically her view was that Adam's only drive is his fascination with humans. He reads books, he imitates humans, going even so far as to die in the same way as them. The puppet show in route B that shows a lanky figure whose treasure is Hate represents either Eve or some other machine according to her. According to her during the entire 2nd fight Adam doesn't show a hint of hatred. She doesn't see Adam's actions as being driven by hatred at all, which is the polar opposite of my interpretation. His view of humanity's core being conflict, the puppet show mentioned before (Which I'm 100% sure is meant to represent Adam), his talk during the 2nd fight and how he lights up when 2B reveals her hatred for him... All those point to me that Adam is driven purely by hatred.

So who's more in the right here? This is kinda driving me crazy since I thought I had him figured out, but her views are just something I never contemplated.

I think he's driven by hatred in that he desires hatred, rather than him currently harboring hatred

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

KamikazePotato posted:

Also random side: props to 9S for being an android that people repeatedly say is not built for combat, who then proceed to kick the poo poo out of everything in the game

It's only mentioned in one of the side stories that wasn't officially translated, but scanner models are literally not even supposed to be able to wield a weapon and use that telekinetic combat poo poo the combat models get, he reprogrammed himself to be able to.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The ps4 update news is kind of disheartening. Kind of wanted to start a fresh playthrough this weekend but I guess I'll be waiting.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rio posted:

Was 9S's nickname something that each version of him remembered or something that just that last one came up with?

Former seems more likely since a Scanner unit in a route C/D quest knows about the nickname and asks if he can call 9S that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought the same for a while, and while Persona 5 has topped it for me, Nier: Automata is a CLOSE second.

This but slightly reversed for me. Horizon and BotW and maybe RE7 aren't far behind them, but it's a clear Nier #1 Persona #2 for me this year so far.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Okay.

I finished the Gathering Keepsakes quest. The way the scene plays out in the Lunar Tear field took me completely by surprise (in a good way) and I don't know how to express why that is. I figured 9S would want to get flowers in memory of 2B but the way the scene played out, and maybe the music made it hit harder than normal, made me cry. Not tear up. I burst into tears and had to put my controller down. Everything was happening all at once before this and while I did hear that 2B would die before this, this little scene of 9S setting up the grave was so good. So good!!!

I had about the same reaction. 9S's little monologue was starting to make me tear up a little but the last line made me need to put the controller down for a couple minutes

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Know Such Peace posted:

Gathering Keepsakes: {Prerequisite Sidequest: Emil's Memories (Lunar Tears)}
You help an android soldier at the main camp search for his comrades. You recover dog tags from three corpses, and he thanks you for your assistance. He gathers flowers to commemorate their sacrifice.
9S goes to Emil's Lunar Tear hideout and builds a makeshift memorial for 2B.
"2B. I'm not quite sure what it means to mourn, or even if we have a soul to concern ourselves with...
But I hope you're at rest, 2B. Sweet dreams."
The track "Kaine Salvation" from the original NieR plays during this sequence.

2B's Farewell Message
9S stumbles upon the wreckage of 2B's flight unit in the Flooded City. There is an unsent message left in the memory of the unit:
"This is YoRHa unit 2B...
If anyone is listening to this, there's something I need you to do.
If you ever meet up with YoRHa unit 9S...
I want him... I mean...
I'm sorry. Please just give him the following message:
9S...the time I was able to spend with you...
It was light memories of pure light...
Thank you...Nine...s."

On the first one you forgot at the end the "I'll be with you before long." :smith:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Weight of the World doesn't always have that effect on me, but vague hope (cold rain) definitely does. Even without having gone through nier1 yet Kaine's theme has that effect too after doing the gathering keepsakes quest.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The English voice acting is pretty good. Kyle McCartney does an amazing job as 9S through route C.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It does not deserve the hype. It doesn't get better, and as mentioned above the combat is super tedious.

OTOH I found the combat kind of relaxing without being too tedious, and it's pretty easily my GOTY with only P5 and Yakuza Zero really coming close.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The only value really is "is this character not literally a cardboard cutout"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's pretty obvious by like halfway into route A that 2B has some sort of feelings or attachment towards 9S particularly and that "emotions are prohibited" is less of a rule that YorHa androids actually follow than it is a mantra 2B repeats to keep herself detached.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm a few hours into the game, and I wouldn't describe 2B as an "unfeeling murderbot" at all. Maybe in the intro segment, but after that...not so much.

By the end of the amusement park section she's clearly conflicted about killing all these machines. She just does it anyway because that's her job, and it's 9S who has repeatedly provided the exposition "they're just machines" prod to keep her going when she starts to get emotional.

In fact I'm pretty sure that we're the bad guys. We don't have skulls on our hats, but we might as well. Or maybe we're all bad guys and it would be better if the giant boars ruled the world.

I'm gonna unbookmark this thread now so I don't get drawn into something that spoils this game's crazy story too much. I look forward to coming back to this thread after I've beaten the game to find out how much I got wrong.

"Nothing machines do have meaning" is basically to 9S what "emotions are prohibited" is to 2B. Something that is technically YorHa's position on something, but primarily repeated by 9S/2B as a personal mantra to keep themselves focused on the job despite conflicting emotions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So what sort of mods/plugins should I be using to play Replicant on PC?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got to the second half of nier:r and (probably not really much of a spoiler but just to be safe) Zach Aguilar and Ray Chase do a good job of sounding like the same person at two different ages.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished my second run. Ending A felt bitter sweet, Ending B felt like Yoko Taro prying my chest open to punch my heart.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Something I noticed in my many runs through Shadowlord castle is in the second battle with Devola and Popola, during the first phase of the fight against Delova, Popola just stands around in the background for a while and eventually starts powering up Devola by doing some really cool dance numbers in the back. I really enjoyed watching her dancing - she has a ton of different moves! And I think the start of her dancing may be timed to only start with the vocal tracks kick in to the fight, but I'd need to go back and try it again. Really cool!

This rules so much and on my recent run I basically took the fight as slow as possible to see how many different moves she goes through

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished Ending D. Don't think that I've ever been this unable to old back tears due to a video game before :smith:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

I wonder how much of her final character design was solely because someone thought it'd be really funny to have her and weiss constantly bicker over it
I still cackle at the "Have we truly sunk to motivational speeches from a woman in her undergarments?" line every time i hear it

The bickering is worth it, I've never heard such contempt put into the word "book" before.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished replicant ending E. :unsmith:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just to be clear on what I need to do to get Ending E (no overly-specific spoilers please); I looked up a no-spoiler guide and it sounds like all I need to do is start a new save file, and somewhere along the way in part 1 I'll be given the opportunity to make a choice; is this moment going to be extremely obvious, or do I need to do anything special or potentially missable to make it happen? I'm trying not to look into it too closely so I go in fresh, but I also want to make sure that I don't accidentally whizz right past it and do a full, normal playthrough of part 1 again by mistake

it's very obvious when that moment is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tarezax posted:

They shoulda been more hardcore like the Ar Tonelico music peeps and made an entire functioning language. And add a new one for every game in the series.

No really. They did that.

In this case having the words not mean anything is the intent though. It's just about having vocal sounds without any actual "lyrics" because words are distracting.