Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly I think it weakens the concept that they do the whole "x's data was destroyed" thing. I know it makes sense in terms of what you're seeing, that's the person helping you and then they're destroyed and another person comes in to help in their stead, but we all know that in reality that person's name is being used multiple times even if their data is "destroyed" like that, which makes the whole thing lose power. It would be powerful enough just to have the people come in to help and to know that when you sacrifice your save game you're adding yourself to the pool of people who can help, without the game pretending that that help is finite. Or maybe if it was like "some of x's data was destroyed"? Or some of their "memories", basically anything which isn't pretending that one person can only help until they get hit once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, given that they're all functionally immortal, it's not out of the realms of possibilities that the next game would feature one or more of this game's characters. All the immortal characters from Nier showed up after all, even the ones that died. And given the popularity of 2B I wouldn't be even faintly surprised if she cameo'd in a Ni3R.

The real question is, what role would they play in the next game?

Except that it turned out that none of the Nier characters were the actual characters from Nier. The Nier 3 equivalent would be cameos from a number 2 and a number 9 unit that we hadn’t met before.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There are way more androids than just YorHa and they’re mostly fine by the end of the game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There is that one ending where 2B spends her days fishing....

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It doesn’t come from simulated players, people have reported getting thank you messages from people their save file has helped. The part that’s bullshit is that their data gets destroyed when they say it is. Which IMO wasn’t needed anyway, it’s cool enough that someone sacrificed their save to help me even if the game is being honest that that save file can also help other people too and is part of an ever-growing pool.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Is there actually any relation between Hegel and Emil, besides them both being big balls that live in the desert?

I don’t think so but in hindsight maybe the machines based Hegel on those Emils.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah you have not beaten the game yet go beat it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

We’re telling you to go back and pick the other option at the end, not to worry about side quests just yet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Might have seen an LP where this happens in the intro? That's the only time I encountered it.

It definitely doesn't, I know because when I started playing I died to the boss of the intro bit and had to start all over again :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure in the case of Nier's music each song is a gibberish version of a specific language - like Grandma is French, Amusement Park is Gaelic (I think?) Anyone got guesses for the rest of Automata's songs? Pascal sounds like German or something to me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

No, most of the endings are totally optional joke endings. Just keep playing and don't worry about it, it'll be pretty obvious what to do to get the important endings.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Doesn't Emil take out the entire place including all the replicants? He doesn't need to know what the shades are for that to feel lovely.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm trying to find that music video that was released almost as a preview for Automata, with the machine destroying all the dolls, but I can't remember the name of the song or think up any useful search terms that don't bring up actual trailers for the game or fanvids. Has anyone got a link?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks! Maybe I'll bookmark it this time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Here's something i don't remember: when the game says "can be exchanged for money," that's not a ploy to make me sell my rare materials and regret it later, is it?

It's vendor junk but it becomes worth more as you progress further in the game so hold onto it unless you specifically need the money for something.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right. But you already know that from the beginning of the game so that easter egg is not revealing any secrets.

What I'm saying is it doesn't look like I have that much reason to be mad I missed out on the easter egg.

The reason to be mad is that it's an extremely cool "oh poo poo!!" moment: https://youtu.be/8UW0sXZx53Q

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's also neat that you've been swapping characters increasingly frequently in the run up to the boss so it's the natural culmination of that instead of a new gimmick introduced solely for the bossfight.

Yeah, I really loved that about it. Routes A and B are just the very slow start to the swaps.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The original is a bit janky but definitely worth it in my opinion, just don't try to do all the sidequests or anything. I'm always interested in the experiences of people who play Automata before the original and what they think is going on during the original game based on the information about the world they get in Automata. I don't think it spoils things nearly as much as it could easily have.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

can confirm this is at least half true (unless you played Soul Calibur I guess??)

I think you may have misunderstood that post because the first half is about things which definitely were in Automata and the second half is speculating about a third Nier game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I love this game and have played through it multiple times. But I’ll admit, I never picked up on the fact that 2B and 9S have gone through this murder cycle more than the couple times we see in the game. Is that specifically stated anywhere? I understand 2Bs true mission and designation, but what tells us they’ve even worked together before that initial Goliath fight?

There's a line when the 2B/2E twist is revealed that's like "she hated to keep killing you" which is meant to tell you that that's what's been happening, but the actual line was more vague than that IIRC because I didn't understand what it was trying to say either until I read up more.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Relin posted:

how do i go back and get ending d without doing ending e

If you've heard things about what happens in ending e then don't worry, you can see ending e without that being a thing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's happening!!!!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

All I care about is if we'll get playable Kaine in route B as seemed to be the clear original intention

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I really liked Hegel because youre just getting into A2 and take down a few of the big arm swingy guys and you are her both are like "lol that's it? nbd" and then the big rolly ball guy pops up and then it prompts you to go berserk and then youre constantly mashing health restore buttons while going ohfuckohfuckohfuck because you don't know what happens when berserk ends

thats more about the situation than the boss monster itself I guess which was relatively meh but as an encounter its ace

The game introducing the berserk mechanic at the WORST POSSIBLE MOMENT is funny in retrospect but gently caress was it frustrating actually playing it

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are we just all assuming the Replicant remake is going to have shenanigans going on

I don't remember his exact wording, it's probably somewhere earlier in this thread, but it's been heavily implied that it will even if we probably would have assumed it anyway.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I wonder if that's in anticipation of people playing automata after they finish the remake?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

As someone who never played (or read Let's play) of the original Nier, but heard a lot of good things about the story and horrible things about the gameplay, do we have any idea if the Remake does something to address the gameplay side of things? I purposely kept myself in blackout about the whole thing, but that is something I am interested in, to know how to manage my expectations.

It sounds like they've improved the combat which IMO is the only real gameplay issue, and even then wasn't really that bad. I'm sure they've fixed the one bit in the main quest that was badly signposted and caused people to get frustrated and quit rather than look at their minimap, but it will be really funny if they didn't.

I'm so so excited for all the people who played Automata but not Gestalt to play the remake, I think it'd be a really cool point of view to come at the story from.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Original nier's basic gameplay was bland but its gameplay as a whole was pretty ambitious and cool given the constant genre changing. I'm excited to see it refined!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

God barren temple was so much less painful having played the game before years ago and also watched a speedrun between then and now. There really are a lot of clever tricks you can use to make it less painful if you think about your freedoms rather than your rules!

Hello again thread I just caught up after ducking out on the 23rd and finally finishing replicant properly.

Big spoilers for new ending (is it spoilers there's a new ending? I feel like no one would get it if they didn't know it was there)
I can't believe playable loving Kaine was basically spoiled by that stupid transphobic achievement implying you'd get enough camera control to look up her skirt just like with 2B, I mean I still wasn't absolutely certain but I was pretty certain. I was a little disappointed that you don't play as her in route B as I always thought that made more sense, but then they would have had to deal with her not going into towns and also do a whole new magic thing.

Anyway that was great, I really enjoyed the extreme Yoko Taroness of it all, totally worth spending one evening rerunning shadowlord's castle three times in a row to get C & D (first time I paused just before the shadowlord and my PS5 helpfully put itself in rest mode and installed a system update that caused it to automatically close the game :(). It was a really cute coda to a great game.

I really feel like this game is a gateway drug for speedrunning. The last few repetitions of areas I was mashing my way through text and dodgerolling everywhere and skipping unnecessary fights constantly.

I think you have to climb the lost shrine eight times in total? gently caress that, even as good as the music is.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh actually that reminds me: in the junkyard the first time around not long before you fight the first boss, there's a big gap you have to cross after throwing a bomb to break the gate on the other side. I could not for the life of me work out the intended way to get over/around it and ended up doing a jump + air attack + air dash combo to get over it. I'm pretty sure that wasn't possible in the original and the game never expects you to do that kind of movement anywhere else so I'm sure there must be some other way to do it. What did I miss?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I love how this game has a "this is the point of no return. proceed?" confirmation prompt before entering final level, and in the 2nd room you enter, before you even fight anything, you get an option to just give up and warp back to town anyway

It also amuses me that it has a point of no return prompt for what is very obviously a point of no return, but doesn't have a point of no return prompt for triggering the sequence leading to the timeskip, which is something like an hour of cutscenes and fights or more before you can save again and locks you out of finishing so many sidequests. The first time I played the game I hit that point shortly before I needed to go to bed and had to stay up way too late completing it, I remember being really stressed out and repeatedly failing bits because I wasn't sure what the game needed me to do and I just wanted to get it done and go to bed.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Playing through this game this time around I was really put in mind of the opening song from Hadestown which is partly about how they keep performing this tragedy over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlTvqTtCa4

Maybe it will turn out this time!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just to be clear on what I need to do to get Ending E (no overly-specific spoilers please); I looked up a no-spoiler guide and it sounds like all I need to do is start a new save file, and somewhere along the way in part 1 I'll be given the opportunity to make a choice; is this moment going to be extremely obvious, or do I need to do anything special or potentially missable to make it happen? I'm trying not to look into it too closely so I go in fresh, but I also want to make sure that I don't accidentally whizz right past it and do a full, normal playthrough of part 1 again by mistake

There's also no difference to a normal run before the very obvious thing, so feel free to skip cutscenes/mash through dialogue as much as you like.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Wait are you for real?

Yup.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Full automata/replicant spoilers:

Don't we already know that the 2 series is patterned after Kaine? That's why A2 is how she is. There are also canon sources for the other androids IIRC but they're from extraneous material.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Another lore question

So Devola and Popola fail to stop Nier from killing the Shadowlord and doom humanity, etc. etc. In Automata there's another Devola/Popola pair who are programmed to constantly feel guilt about it or whatever. Does that mean in the Nier Replicant time period there are a whole bunch of Devolas and Popolas all over the world overseeing the replicants in each area? Or how much of the world is even inhabited outside of the game world

Yep, that's exactly what it means.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Casually checking with my friend who's nearing the end of route C of Automata that their internet connection is working and they've been seeing player corpses while they play, just to make sure the thing happens for them :3:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The chorus is the people who made the game! :3:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I have a question about ending CDE of Automata. is the intelligence that builds the white tower and created Yorha supposed to be an emergant AI or a further evolution of the Malign intelligence behind all the events of the games? I wasn't sure if it was still around but the white flowers are here and there in hidden corners of Automata.

Both can be true! The flower is certainly implied to have some sort of connection to the machine intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean you're in the thread for fans of the game, what do you think we're going to tell you?