Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Wow, what a loving trip. Taro Yoko continues to surprise me, even after I think I know all of his tricks. I've completed Endings A-E. Still need to upgrade everything, complete all the miniquests, and fight the superbosses. I have a lot of thoughts about the game, but I'm just going to posit a few questions and discussion points off the top of my head right now:

1. I'm not sure if I fully understood why info on Project Gestalt/Popola's Library was in the Tower. I guess the machines knew that humanity was extinct since they set up YoRHa, and by extension, the Council of Humanity, to perpetuate their endless existential war. But I'm not sure what they mean about the machine's containing the "ghost of humanity".

2. I thought the way A2 defeated the Red Girls was great and super clever. But I'm not sure if they were still alive after that? Were they the one's piloting the crab robot at the end? Ending D seems to suggest they're still alive and preparing to launch themselves into space. Was this their plan all along, or did they only decide that after the final battle? I have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear someone else's interpretation on their rationale.

3. What happens if 9S chooses to go to space with the Red Girls in Ending D? I turned them down in my playthrough. Would that prevent his consciousness from being reassembled in Ending E?

4. Were Adam and Eve (and their subsequent defeat) part of the Red Girls' plan? So they didn't have full control of the network, I assume.

5. I suppose the "Romeos and Juliets" play you see in the Amusement is foreshadowing. Really, really good foreshadowing. It mirrors the cycle of 2B killing 9S throughout their time together, and 9S's battle against the 2B copies in the Tower. It's also predictive of the in-fighting between the Red Girls.

6. What was up with the plant stuff? Pod 042 notes that the Machine Core is structured after a plant cell, and Adam says that his creators were "like plants". I expected that to pay off somehow, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. What do you guys think?

Also, where the gently caress Project Gestalt Report 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

THIS SPEED STAR QUEST CAN GO gently caress ITSELF

That quest gave me so much loving grief. Here's how to cheese it:
Overclock chips.
There are two packs of enemies as you take the left path. Perfect dodge to get time to slow for a few seconds. You'll be cutting it close, but I did it without speed salves (after I ran out racing that loving rear end in a top hat).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Is there any way to complete it without chips or salve? If you use them, you just run the direct path and it takes no special skill. If you don't take them there's no amount of skill that will get you there in time, as far as I can tell. Kind of a bummer. Traversal skills at least made a potential difference in the first two races.

It does take skill with chips, honestly. You really cannot afford to gently caress up the dodge to trigger overclocking, and one hesitation or misstep will still gently caress you.
I beat his second race using the Za Warudo Pod Program. Work smarter, not harder.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Eopia posted:

You can actually fight the robot statue normally. If you attack it enough it'll come to life and attack you with a variety of lines during the fight. 2B even has a comment after the fight if you beat it at her. I haven't tried hacking it yet so I'll have to give that a go.
Be warned: This was like, 15 minutes of solid countering and bombing for my level 75 A2.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I 100%ed this game and I'm still finding out about new poo poo. It's so good.

Question for people more knowledgeable in Eastern philosophy than me:
Anyone know the etymology of So-shi and Boko-shi? I figure Ro-Shi is Laozi and Ko-Shi is Kong Fuzi, but I can't figure out those other two.(Confucius)

Also, I kinda wish Hegel hadn't been a boss. Would've made the Emil fight more special. Ah, well. It was different enough, and we did get to fight him in his car earlier (which was harder, imo).
Does anyone have a guess on when the Emil fight is supposed to take place chronologically, considering you can do it at almost any point once you have all the weapons upgraded? I personally want to think that it's after Ending E, but that's definitely wishful thinking.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Nope. Yoko Taro said they're just there to tease the player and have no other consequence. But it's Yoko Taro, so maybe he's saying there's nothing to hide the fact that there is something amazing?!?!?

Taro Yoko is almost definitely lying/making a funny. We got DLC for Drakengard 3. We got 6 pieces of DLC for Drakengard 3.

Drakengard 3 was made on a budget of $300 and whatever change Taro Yoko was able to fish out between his car seats.

Automata will have DLC.

And from what I've heard, some people have already found evidence of such in the Steam version.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

No, no: when she's strangling 9S to death in a pose that's clearly suggestive of loving. There's about five or ten different ways I can think of off the top of my head to film a scene of someone being strangled to death, and you only choose that specific one if you're being suggestive to the audience. The fact that all of the YoRHa androids are total babes/studs is no accident, nor is the fact that they're all highly adept at killing while also being total babes/studs.

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

This is absurdly right. I love Taro Yoko.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Nina posted:

Any idea if the names of the Shi-type bosses are references to anything? Initially I figured they might be some kind of Japanese wordplay (like ko-ro-shi) but I'm not so sure about the specifics.

I think Ko-Shi and Ro-Shi are Kong Fuzi and Laozhi, respectively. No idea what Boko-shi and So-shi are supposed to be.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I read the NieR LP by TheDarkId, but whether thru lethargy or just being dense I missed most of the facts about the end of the game and the postgame. Since I get the feeling they come up in Automata eventually, can anyone explain some aspects of the end of NieR? My questions are who the hell Devola and Popola are and what their role was, what Replicants and Gestalts were, what the Black Scrawl was, why the Shadowlord kidnapped Yonah in the first place, who that prologue 20xx Nier and Yonah were, and finally who Tyrann was and his relationship to Ending D (which is its own confusing can of worms in my head).

So basically everything in the last third of the game I guess I somehow didn't understand :v:
Spoilers for OG Nier:
After Drakengard Ending E, the remains of the Grotesquerie Queen coated Tokyo and caused an epidemic known as White Chlorination Syndrome. Basically, people either got infected and turned into servants of the Queen (Legion, Red Eye, etc), or just outright turned into pillars of salt. After years of fighting against this disaster, humanity decided it was pretty much done for unless they did something drastic. Luckily, humans recovered the corpse of Caim's dragon, Angelus, and managed to synthesize a "magical" particle that they dubbed "maso". But even with maso-enhanced soldiers, as well as superweapons like Emil, it wasn't enough to fully wipe out Legion. Moreover, the world was coated in salt and ash, and was pretty much uninhabitable. So Project Gestalt was started. The plan was this: Using maso, they could separate a person's soul/consciousness from their body (the specific mechanisms of this are a bit up to interpretation, but it's basically digitized rendering of a person's genome using the Angelic alphabet). The Gestalts would then be put into cold storage, while mindless clones, known as Replicants, did the dirty work of wiping out Legion and cleaning up the planet over the next few centuries. The Replicants would be watched over by a few androids who also spearheaded the restoration efforts. Among these androids were Devola and Popola. When all was said and done, the Gestalts were supposed to reunite with their Replicant forms and effectively resurrect humanity.
The project hosed up almost immediately. Gestalts began to experience a phenomenon known as "relapsing", which caused their code to spontaneously corrupt and turn them into feral killing machines. Likewise, there was an ambient connection between Gestalts and their corresponding Replicants, so as to ensure their compatibility. However, because of the relapse phenomenon, this caused the Replicants to get terminally ill and die. This is the origin of The Black Scrawl.
The remaining humans circa 2049 desperately tried to salvage this gently caress-up. Their only hope was to create a Gestalt who was immune to relapsing and could exercise an influence to keep others from relapsing as well. This turned out to be Nier (Prime), who was conned into this while seeking treatment for Yonah's White Chlorination Syndrome. Nier originally ran away with Yonah, but after she touched Grimoire Noir and inadvertently started her own Gestalt conversion (followed by an immediate relapse), Nier acquiesced and agreed to become the Original Gestalt.
Thus Nier Prime became the Shadowlord, tending for Gestalts over the course of 1300 years, while Devola and Popola watched over Replicants and mopped things up. Unfortunately, Replicants developed self-awareness after a few centuries. They were partially controlled by the computer systems in The Forest of Myth, which allowed the Androids to manufacture memories and implant them into the Replicants. Once the Gestalts tried to merge with their promised host bodies though, the Replicants fought back. The two races became hostile toward one another, with many Gestalts leaving the Shadowlord's sphere of influence and going feral. These became the Shades. With the increase in relapsed Gestalts, an increase in Black Scrawl cases followed.
With Replicants refusing to accept the Gestalts, Devola and Popola presumably faced increased pressure from the Shadowlord, and therefore chose to activate a fail-safe. Grimoire Weiss would merge with Grimoire Noir to forcibly reunite the Gestalts and Replicants. As part of their ancient agreement, they sent Yonah to the Shadowlord, lying that she could find a mystical Lunar Tear at the Lost Shrine that could cure her Black Scrawl. Popola then told this to Nier, so he would go after her as well. This way, Shadowlord and Yonah prime could both reclaim their bodies immediately. But Nier beat the poo poo out of Grimoire Weiss, causing him to lose his powers and memories, prompting him to side with Nier on a quest to save his ailing daughter.
Devola and Popola countered this by making up a prophecy about Grimoire Weiss facing off against Grimoire Noir to end the Black Scrawl. So Nier went around, restored Weiss's power, and hoped to save his daughter. Eventually the Shadowlord had enough of this poo poo and decided to attack Nier's town and kidnap Yonah himself, so as to secure a body, imperfect as it may be, for his own daughter. Noir tried to fuse with Weiss, but Weiss refused.
Five years later, Nier and Weiss finally enter the Shadowlord's Castle, where Devola and Popola try one last time to force them to surrender. They don't, and so the androids are killed. With Devola and Popola dead, no new Replicants can be made in that region, dooming them all to be the last generation. Nier confronts the Shadowlord, where Yonah Prime decides that this whole thing isn't right and sacrifices her chance at a body. Nier kills the Shadowlord and reunites with his daughter, unaware (or perhaps ambivalent) of the fact that with the Shadowlord's death, all remaining Gestalts will go feral, die, and cause the Black Scrawl to spread out of control. So basically, Nier sealed the fate of humanity by killing the twins and the Shadowlord.
In the final ending, Tyrann, a sadistic body-hopping Gestalt possessing Kaine, finally loses control in response to the Shadowlord's death. In order to save Kaine, Nier opted to take Tyrann's corruption unto himself, effectively causing a memetic corruption that erased him from everyone's memories (since we established that Replicants have synthesized memories). This likely only applies to other Replicants, as Emil seems to remember Nier when he crash lands in the desert, but don't quote me on this.
In the end, Kaine is saved, Nier is forgotten, and humanity is utterly doomed.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was about to ask for this, thank you. Related question so route C spoilers:
How did A2 beat them? 042 was talking poo poo about her not getting it, but I don't understand it either. :(

The Machine intelligence developed along guidelines imitative of humans. A2 and 042 allowed the Red Girls to replicate so much that they fell to blows and destroyed themselves - a condensed and pessimistic version of human history. Without an android actively threatening them, they tore each other apart - a metaphor for why the cycle of war is happening in the first place. Also, this scene, along with the 9S's battle with the 2B replicas, was foreshadowed by the "Romeos and Juliets" play earlier in the game.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2017

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Dang I just screwed myself out of fighting a cool miniboss by already having the quest items for a quest :( I got the data entry for it, but I wanted to fight it.

Also, story question here; Who was the machine that discovered hate? Was it A2?

If you're talking about the Monster Type, it's still hanging out by the waterfall in the forest. You can still fight it. This happened to me.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

The Romeos and Juliets play within the game is so Shakespearean, it's amazing

Whoops. My bad. Fixed.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

HOLY poo poo
I just realized the weapon description on the Emil Head weapons takes place 1000 years after the events of the game and pretty explicitly mentions meeting 2B/A2. So this basically confirms Ending E as canon and (maybe?) that the Emil boss fights happened some time afterwards? Also, it seems like new Emil's are still getting made, so the series still has its mascot.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

No Jackass, 2/10

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alain Post posted:

so when did Yoko Taro actually become like, "a thing", did Drakengard actually get a cult fanbase based on the insane protaginist, or was it after everyone seemed to like the writing in Nier (since Drakengard 2 only peripherally involved Yoko)

TDI's LPs, and even then, only after Nier did anyone ever retroactively appreciate Drakengard. Nier just confirmed that there was a definite method to the madness.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Augus posted:

I'd say the biggest let-down in this otherwise solid game was the rampant re-use of the So-Shi boss design. You fight, like, 5 different variants of it? The last machine boss you fight in the game is just two of them stuck together, even. I wanted to see more bosses like Beauvoir.

By the way, I never got around to toggling on Hard Mode in my playthrough. If I wanted to go back and do a fresh save Hard Mode run, are there any guides for how to go about that floating around, or at least just some tips people can provide?

At least every iteration of So-shi has a completely different moveset.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Taro Yoko, despite being a guy who loves to break the fourth wall and gently caress with the player, is still probably the best writer in regards to giving everything an in-universe explanation and not disrupting the cohesion between narrative and gameplay. Everyone could learn a lot from him.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know if any of you are interested in reading some nerd's sprawling thesis on Nier: Automata, but I wrote an essay about the game's major themes and how they interact with its medium:
SPOILERS INSIDE: https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read this entire thing and actually thought it was well done, good job. Also connected a bit of the dots I was missing personally (I just got why he was called Pod 42)

Thank you very much. I apologize for how it meandered a bit in the beginning. I felt that some context on how I view the "video games as art" argument and background of Drakengard/Nier would be necessary to understand some of the future points, so I tried to track the overarching discourse. Unfortunately, yeah, Automata doesn't come to forefront until after the first quarter of it. Sorry if that was frustrating. I might upload a revised version later (or at least have a separate link to the Automata analysis or something).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Nah, the character interaction in Nier really puts it over the top. Automata's way more fun to actually play, but I think the original is the clear winner if you look at the complete package.

I think I like the characters and dialogue of the original Nier better, but only slightly. But overall measuring the games is like apples and oranges.
No wait. gently caress fruit. Fruit sucks. The games are like cake and ice cream.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Jackass is best girl. All of y'all are crazy/

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, this remix: https://soundcloud.com/kamiyana/machine-lifeform-n-system-compromise-detected-emergency-logic-vaccine-protocol-recommended

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

yeah the second one was it. Thanks :D

I wrote that one. :3: Thanks!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Everyone go wish Taro Yoko a happy birthday.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Only one Devola/Popola pair was actively attempting to sabotage Project Gestalt. Once this became known, the other D/P models were looked down upon, exiled and generally scorned because of their association, even though they did nothing.

They weren't trying to sabotage it. The D/P of Nier 1 were working with the Shadowlord and manipulating Nier, but they failed to convince Grimoire Weiss to side with them in the end and so their plan backfired in the worst possible way.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's more like idiotic phrasing of orders by the aliens who ordered the machines to fight the androids, not to defeat the androids
This isn't the case:
The Machines' orders WERE to defeat the enemy, but if they defeat the enemy, they have no more purpose to exist, despite already becoming self-aware and overthrowing their creators. Fulfilling their programming would also present a contradiction, as they could no longer defeat an enemy that was dead. So they extend their crusade into infinity, so that they can never violate their prime directive. This is basically the same thing the androids are doing - their prime directive is to care for humanity, which is now impossible, so it's caused a catastrophic existential logic loop.
It's seriously some Asimov poo poo. Nier is legit quality sci-fi.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I really like the irony of the whole situation. It gives a real good sense of existential dread.
The androids' entire MO is "we're different from the machines" but the game demolishes that bit by bit and by the end it's revealed to you that actually the only difference including the parts they are made of is that the machines don't look like humans.

Basically everything you're told about them is revealed to be a mistruth told to androids by other androids. You're told they don't think, but they do. You're told they don't have free will, but they do. You're told they don't feel, and they don't, but they're programmed to just like the androids are.

Hell, the Machines not looking like humans might not even be relevant. The last remaining human is Emil, and the Machines look more like him - either because the aliens based them on him, or they're actually reverse-engineered Emil clones.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Without spoiling anything, just remember that Yoko Taro is the master of sleight of hand twists, where he distracts with with something you blatantly can't look away from so you don't see what he's sneaking under your nose.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

9S>A2>2B, but they all good.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I don't have much opinion on the butt (i read an interesting essay about how the sexualised character designs reflect the intoxication and exhilaration of violence which is intertwined with sex in the psyche, but of course I also read an interview with yoko taro where he said he asked them to make the butt sexy because he likes sexy butts) but I do find it interesting that it comes up relatively rarely. I mean people talk about it but not nearly to the extent that they talk about, say, the bikini sniper in Metal Gear Solid V, and it doesn't dominate people's opinion of the game. You've got people who are very concerned with social justice and feminism calling this game, where there's an achievement for trying to look at the butt cheeks, the game of the year. It must have some pretty distinctive story content to get that kind of response from that kind of crowd! That's weirdly one of the things that drew me to the game.

Also the beginning is severely good, like on its own the first half hour or so of C almost felt worth two playthroughs of just getting to know the characters and setting

Pretty sure that essay in question was written by me. And I love Taro Yoko's cheeky (no pun intended) response, and while 2Bs design probably appeals to him in that way, I think it's important to keep his self-deprecating sense of humor in mind. I mean, he's humble to a fault, always insists that his stories are meaningless trash anyway, and will do anything to downplay them.
And yeah, it's interesting that Nier didn't really draw any ire from socially conscious video game critics, probably because it clearly served a purpose beyond mere titillation. Oftentimes thay poo poo is distracting and goes against the ideas present in the narrative or setting. Automata is one of the few examples where I feel the game would be slightly lessened if YoRHa wasn't sexualized to some extent.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Know Such Peace posted:

More post-game spoilers for a few of Moochewmoo's questions:

It's "YoRHa", not "YoRaH". There is no known reason for the name "YoRHa", aside from it also being the name of the idol group that was formed during the making of Drakengard 3. It is sort of similar to "Yonah", but there is no concrete connection there as far as I know.

The 'android illuminati' tried to convince androids throughout the world that a small group of humans were still alive on the moon with Project YoRHa. YoRHa was also meant to be expendable, but the intended backdoor was pulled early when the creepy machine girls discovered the security flaw.

At the end of A/B, 9S uploads tiny fragments of himself to a bunch of different machine lifeforms. It takes a moment for him to coalesce into one coherent 9S. 'Corrupted 9S' dies, while 'big-machine 9S' lives. It isn't shown in-game, but he presumably then transfers back into a local body.

The Yonah/machine connection is covered in side-materials, which I'm not super familiar with. Yonah ghost driving the machines seems vaguely correct, but it can be tough to tell with how Yoko Taro writes the plots to these games.

I always figured that N2/Red Girls were based on the data of the Shadowlord, since they're so obsessed with Project Gestalt, and ultimately decide to replicate it by separating their consciousness/memories from their bodies as a final escape from the conflict. Furthermore, I imagine N2 is a cheeky pun alluding both to "network" and "Nier 2".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yoko Taro pulled off the most masterful troll.
Again.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Hikaki posted:

I'm pretty sure the cause is "we didn't have the budget for night scenes in Nier 1 so we made some poo poo up and now we have to roll with it for Nier 2".

That doesn't quite add up though, because there *is* passage of time in the overworld of Nier - it goes from dawn to noon to dusk to noon to dawn, if I recall. And the weather varies. It's not like they didn't have it in the budget or technology for night cycles. I think it was a creative decision.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, between Kaine and the Boss from Saint Row, Laura Bailey is pretty much the definitive choice for funny foul-mouthed badasses in video games. Kaine might be the best vocal role I've ever heard in a game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

“poo poo hog? Oh come now, that’s not even a word”

I’d pay far too much money for a nier remaster. Hopefully they realize there’s free money in it after automata

I honestly don't want a sequel to Automata. If the series must continue, I'd still like Automata to be the chronological ending. But man, a Nier 1 remake by Platinum would be the sickest poo poo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So I know this is random, but are we supposed to know Kaine's a hermaphroditie? I only learned this after finishing the game, along with a ton of other stuff that I think might only be in supplementary material. Or maybe I just missed a lot of it.

I was looking for an interesting analysis of NieR and God help me, I tried Youtube. There are good analyses of my other favorites like Metal Gear Solid 2 so I held out hope. All I got was some guy praising Taro for having Kaine'sexuality be understated and an afterthought unlike the awful SJWs at BioWare who try to market games to LGBTQ people. How dare they.

It's heavily implied in the text adventure flashback at the beginning of Route B. I think it was a bit more explicit in Japanese as well, much like Emil being gay.

I normally wouldn't plug myself this way, but if you're looking for an analysis on Drakengard/Nier/Automata, I wrote an essay over a year ago exploring the games. I'm not totally satisfied with it, especially with the beginning section, which is honestly an overly long personal rambling about games and art that you can definitely skip. I promise you I don't complain about SJW's, but I might seem a little high on the game considering Automata was new at the time.
I'm sure there are good video essays somewhere on Youtube. Clemps's stuff was okay, but I wasn't really into the cutaway gags and such. SuperBunnyHop made a recap video of the first game in the lead up to Automata, and he put out an Automata video shortly thereafter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 10, 2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, tbh I know people love KotOR 2 now and I respect a lot of the innovative stuff it tried to introduce into the series (which would later be revisited in The Last Jedi, to an even more divisive reaction, even though I appreciated it more there), but man the initial release of KotOR 2 is loving bad. I don't think I've ever really been able to get over how disappointed I was when I first played the game, from its bugs to its obviously incomplete second half. It's prevented me from really talking about it in any objective context.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yoko Taro writes the endings first, then writes backwards - that's why his endings never seem half-assed.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The songs' lyrics are a blend of various languages that Emi Evans threw together, and occasionally you'll hear something that sounds familiar in a lot of the songs, as people posted earlier.

The first line of "The Wretched Automatons" is a distorted version of "Hello, World".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Very good video. I enjoyed it a lot! But I'm also gonna chime in to say what the previous poster said about the bosses - while many of the references are a bit on-the-nose, I don't think they were given out randomly. Immanuel is a double-reference to Kant and the Christ child - it might also be Yoko Taro calling Kant's philosophy juvenile, since he doesn't portray many of the other philosophers (Sartre, Nietzche, etc) in a positive light.
Koshi and Roshi are significant as they both have connections to Taoism. Their black and white color scheme represents contrast and paradox - 9S's weapons and flight unit are black, while 2B's stuff was all white. Considering that this fight precedes the revelation about 2B's true nature as an E unit, which 9S consciously or subconsciously knows already, his struggle with Ko-shi/Ro-shi reflects the frustrating, irreconcilable feelings of love and hate that he holds. 9S even grafts a severed 2B arm onto his body before the fight, unable to let go even though it's literally killing him. The track that plays for the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi boss fight is called "Bipolar Nightmare". It refers to 9S's unstable mental state, the conflicting goals and ideologies of the two playable androids, and the polar opposite colors of the two orb robots.
Also, this isn't my interpretation, but after mentioning the above points in an essay that I wrote, one of the commenters said this re: Ko-Shi and Ro-Shi:

quote:

-There’s also two Nihonjinron readings in the machines and the bosses. Japan, as a country, is notable as one whose historical stages are based on the importation of foreign cultures, in succession, Chinese, European, and American. As a country, it verged from xenophilia to xenophobia and back, and the blind adoption of European cultural symbols and structures is well-accounted for in Tanizaki and Soseki. Players familiar with Japanese periods of xenophilia will immediately recognize the machine fetishization of human cultural forms as mirrors of the actual Japanese experience.

Likewise, the final machine, as opposed to android, bosses in the game are Confucius and Lao Zi. When the Japanese cite their fundamental cultural differences, they do not point back to the Wa detailed in the _Annals of Sui_, but instead to the influence of classical Chinese philosophers, as well as their synthesis in Neo-Confucianism. If the androids represent an immensely individual existence, the final philosophies they must transcend is the deep cultural influence of the Chinese. Likewise, the Ko-Shi / Ro-Shi synthesis, in forming a Taijitu actually represent the universe, or at least _a_ universe.

-You say that Camus is strangely missing. But in fact, he’s very much here. Camus, in speaking of the Absurd, sees the universe as fundamentally Absurd and the Absurd man’s responsibility to revolt against the Absurd. In “An Absurd Reasoning” Camus poses suicide as the fundamental question of philosophy, that is to say, whether life is worth living. Likewise, at any point in the game, when you are on the ground and thus able to access the system menu, you can remove your OS chip and die. And in making the Taijitu the penultimate boss, Yokou is posing a revolt against both the mystical and the immanent, after which your last remaining opponent is yourself, whether in A2 or in 9S–you are given a choice of living (and dying) for others or not living at all.