Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't wait for Taro Yoko to save video games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally got around to playing the demo and it owns.

Can't wait to find out all these robots I'm smashing are secretly powered by the souls of children or whatever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like all the lines in this demo were carefully picked to gently caress with people who played NieR and it's wonderful.

"You're not allowed to have emotions."

"Just ignore what the recordings are saying it's probably nothing"

"I can't possibly see this ending well" etc.
It's a Taro Yoko game, somebody's gonna have a bad day. Just for once it isn't the player.

I will say though, knowing glances aside, I wasn't feeling too much of the mission banter, which I typically consider one of Taro Yoko's stronger suits. Hopefully the actual release brings it proper.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Source

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wanna clarify I think 2B's outfit and boots are fine, i just thought that comic was funny and wanted to share.

I also think Kaine's outfit is fine, if difficult to explain on the spot when people walk in on you playing Nier. After you learn what her deal is, it makes sense she dresses the way she does.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC, the "Canon" ending of Nier (unpublished in the West) has the gestalts and replicants joining forces to fight off some aliens (who may or may not have been drawn to the Earth by intercepting the Mother's song, it just took them this long to get here). Emil somehow fashions himself a robot fightin' body and holds off the space invaders, though we don't know how that story ends. Assuming all that hasn't been written out, I'm assuming Nier: Automata takes place sometime later.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Had a friend over and introduced her to the demo and she found a secret area on her playthrough! This game is the gift that keeps on giving.

She's never played a Taro Yoko game before (and is unlikely to go back and check out any of his older work), so we had a fun conversation afterward where I shared with her some of what transpired pre-Automata. :aaaaa: :words:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We already knew the Watchers were gonna be involved somehow.

Eve's got that tattoo in the teasers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wouldn't be surprised to learn all the humans and aliens died out long ago, but their "Living" weapons are carrying on without them.

That'd fit in neatly with Taro Yoko's philosophy of violence as well: violence permeating more violence long after the original aggressors and victims are dead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hence, "Wouldn't be surprised." I'd be a first act twist for sure.

Maybe even a zero act twist, considering everything the original game establishes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As a huge fan of the Raidou Kuzunoha spinoff series I literally could not be MORE for the idea of Taro Yoko directing an entry in it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

March 7th, which of course had to be in the middle of the week.

Gonna have to be patient and wait for the weekend until I can get to it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC, Taro Yoko's on record saying Ending C is canon for Father Nier, whereas Ending D is canon for Brother Nier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

And neither of them are canon for Automata I think. Because Yoko Taro.
Presumably the "Base" ending that's true for everyone still applies though, i.e. Nier defeats the Shadowlord and puts an end to the Gestalt Program.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've already preorderd the Day One edition off Amazon, and a quick search didn't reveal any alternatives.

If it comes with the shirt, cool; if it doesn't, no biggie.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NieR: Automata - Baby Got Backup Drive

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've only ever bought five video game soundtracks in my life.

Two of them were Nier's.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Playing casually, 10-15 hours to get the first ending, with another 3-5 to get the second. The third and fourth endings require you to collect every weapon in the game, so how long they take depends on how many weapons you forgot to pick up earlier. Most of them are easy, but a couple are tucked away.

If you're going for the platinum though, double the length of time for everything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

March is gonna be mostly crunchtime for me. I was actually relieved when Persona 5 got pushed back since I wouldn't have the time to play it anyway.

When the game hits I'll probably just disappear from this thread for two months.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Never thought I'd be this grateful to be so busy in the spring but here we are.

That said I'll probably check out of this thread for a bit. I don't typically care about spoilers, but I'd like to experience at least one Taro Yoko game as blind as possible, barring the few promos I've seen (and the demo).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Haven't been reading the thread, but my copy arrived and I've been playing a little every day. Just cleared Ending A (and K and T) and took a peak at Route B and here are my thoughts so far.

Despite finding the three leads (2B, 9S, and Pod) a little frosty in the demo, they've really grown on me, and while Route A "Suffers" from the usual disjointedness that's typically part and parcel of being Route A in a Taro Yoko game, I felt like 2b and 9S's relationship gave the first playthrough a strong arc, even suspecting how much information is still being withheld from me. In particular, the scene following the final boss where 2B expresses distress over losing the 9S she knows really brought a lot of things full circle for me.

While the game does seem to stand alone for the most part, I've appreciated the callbacks: the masks in the desert, Emil, Devola and Popola (though they didn't do much), and the music during the fight with that giant robot taking cues from the Jack fight in the original Nier. I especially enjoy Emil's little scooter shop thingy. I also like how certain design choices seem geared around acknowledging things people complained about with Nier (while simultaneously taking the piss out of them), like the game explicitly telling you "If you're lost, just follow the minimap marker," and fishing being back but now it's bog simple. Tangentially, of my 8 or so deaths thus far, about a third of them have been inflicted by boars.

I expected Adam, Eve, Devola and Popola, and A2 to play a more prominent role in things, though I suppose that's what the other routes are for. And to head off any "But Adam and Eve were the main bad guys, what more do you want," yeah, but I still figured we'd get more scenes with them, which I'm sure is coming. I totally called the aliens being long dead, and I'm still pretty sure the humans are gonna end up dead as well, but I still would've liked to have seen the aliens.

Anyway, thus far the game is good at being funny and creepy and sweet and sad and basically everything Yoko Taro is good at, and everything he's not that good at either like the combat, though I confess with some of those bullet hell patterns I have no idea how anyone clears this game on Very Hard mode.

It also feels like this is the earliest Taro Yoko's ever tipped his hand, being a known entity outside of Japan now. He's famous for being subversive and his fans have come to expect the unexpected, so it's interesting to me how little time he wastes before dropping various plot bombs on the player.

Let me see, other stuff: I haven't come across that many weapons, though the few I have found just make me think I haven't been looking hard enough; Father Servo was here, Speed Star sucks; the amusement park and the basement cult were both incredible sections; Jackass is great and makes me wish this game had a few more voiced NPCs; something's up with 9S I feel, which I'll probably get out of Route B; a few quests seem to involve spending a lot of money, which I'm not hugely fond of since grinding for cash takes time; speaking of which, knowing there's a trophy shop, I hope the trophy for having 100,000 gold costs 100,000 gold because that would be perfect.

It's late so I can't think of much else to comment on. I probably won't post in here again until I've finished Route B.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please tell me there is a way to make hacking easier, barring lowering the difficulty - or at least tell me there's some way to bolster the amount of hits I can take.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

There isn't, good luck to you
Lame.

The little guys are fine but any time I try to jump into anyone else it's a nightmare.

Bugblatter posted:

Nope. Always three hits, as indicated by the tail geometry falling off of your cursor. It's the most basic shmup patterns around though, so some practice will get you there. I dunno if lowering difficulty does anything at all? Unless it makes it so only the easier games occur.
I'm sure some Touhou player out there is laughing at me but if these are basic patterns I never want to see expert ones.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

just remember that you're faster than the enemies while hacking, so most you can circle strafe and shoot at.

honestly most patterns in it can be solved with copious amounts of circle strafing.
20 seconds or whatever it is ain't a whole lotta time to strafe; especially not with those golden enemies where even the cover hurts you for being in close proximity.

I know this probably reads as me being whiny but I had to vent somewhere so sorry for the fuss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just cleared the Amusement Park on Route B.

Never change Taro Yoko. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally got around to beating this yesterday after having to put it on hold for work for a week.

Video games are art.

Found out Ending E erases your save so I'm putting that off until I can finish up all the other stuff I want to do, but yeah, good game. Couple rough spots though, and the story and cast of the original Nier are still closer to my heart.

I'll have a few more things to say once I'm 100% done but thanks for the ride Taro Yoko.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My favorite scene in this game was probably when 9S reaches out to one of the 2B copies after their fight in the tower, caresses her face, then rips off her arm to fuse with his stump. There's a lot going on under the hood of that one.

The scene that made me saddest was running into Pascal in the village after wiping his memory.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Are there any sites tracking what materials you need to upgrade specific weapons, and where they might be bought or who drops them?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, alright.

I know about the resistance shopkeeper, the desert and forest shopkeepers, the village shopkeeper, the clown, the robot in the canyon, and the traveling salesman. Any others?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The inventor in Pascal's village
Route C spoiler: Memory wiped Pascal
Forgot about the first one, assumed the latter just sold vendor trash.

quote:

Emil's 2 material shops
Is there a way to manipulate his inventory or do I just have to hope he's in the right place at the right speed?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How on earth do you reach that one chest in the Flooded City.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Either fill up on speed and evade distance chips and execute a really good triple longjump, or remote-control one of the flying bots and self-destruct on the rooftop. There's Youtube clips of the former, if you want to know the exact button combination.

Papercut posted:

From the building in the middle sort of where the worm thing is, you can use all of the air moves to jump across. So jump, jump+pod to get tossed forward, dash, hold X to float, while floating do that helicopter kick thing, then spam light attack if you need to close the last bit of distance.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You can easily get over there with a triple kick. Jump, and hold jump so you grab the pod. Press light attack to do a spinny kick. Then double jump, grab the pod again, and do your second kick. Dash, grab it a third time, and do your third kick if you need to but you're probably there already.
Jeez.

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like if you were expecting the machine cores Pascal sells to, like, do something you kind of missed the point of that beat.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I thought they would be a necessary upgrade material to get the machine heads up to level 3. That's how it should have been. Also, they should have started talking when fully upgraded.
They do have a use: you can sell them to the scrap dealer back at the Resistance Camp for a tidy profit (double what you paid Pascal).

Taro Yoko!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I can't help but feel the entire fishing minigame is a joke at the expense of that one guy who complained about the fishing in the first game and ragequit because of it.

The little reminders to check your map for directions were probably also included with him in mind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How do you get Emil to change his inventory again? I've stopped him along all three of his usual routes but he never carries anything other than plug-in chips.

EDIT: Nevermind, Finally got him to carry something else.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

special event for 1 million sales on the 17th.
interesting choice of image
Oh boy oh boy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

2B is "To Be," 9S is "Nein Ist." To be or not (to be).

A2 is "Et Tu?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pascal's rock 'em sock 'em robots sequence made me laugh and feel bad at the same time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I found the second race harder than the third. Having to navigate around something while dealing with frequent momentum-killing elevation changes makes it the most frustrating of the three challenges.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's some FFIX-looking 2B right there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You're never permanently locked out of anything, just temporarily obstructed.

Except Ending Y, but that'll likely be the literal last thing you do, or second-to-last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I must've spent a good hour trying to get that one chest in the Forest Kingdom and don't even act like you don't know exactly which one I'm talking about.