Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terper posted:

Actually the protagonists of this game are not so different from the first's.
Nier, and every other "human" for that matter, was just as artificial as 2B or Devola or Popola. Replicants were shells created to keep humanity safe that eventually developed their own consciousnesses incompatible with their human overlords. All life in Nier-verse, be they man, machine, magic or something in-between, is "real".

Except Wyverns.

Filthy job stealing bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like in all the interviews where the platinum games people claim they loved nier and always wanted to work on a nier sequel. It's either an absurd laughable baldfaced lie or yet another example of Yoko Taro's un loving real luck, and I'll never know which

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did love it. It'd be like how Murata decided on what could have been his deathbed, that he was going to quit his job to draw One Punch Man if he survived.

Platinum's full of people who are really good at game design, which means they notice talent in weird areas where people less equipped to examine these things just see the clunk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just finished. I know this is old news to almost everyone else, but man. This game.

Oddly, the moment that most impressed me was just the smooth cinematic shift from A2's brawling to the last 9S flight unit bit. Really nice trick that games could do more, but generally don't.

And, well, it was a happy ending, so that's a nice surprise. 9S and 2B are alive and together, with the external reasons their interactions got so messed up gone, A2's got a new lease on life, and most importantly, Jackass now knows the score. The world of Nier needs someone whose response to block puzzles is high explosives.

Hell, we even get something nice for the future, as opposed to the usual where anything that takes place after the game confirms the way of all flesh. Emil's head's weapon story implies 2E's got more than a few centuries left for her stretch of the timeline.

Good for them.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 12, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, the part where you are looking straight down​ trying to shoot and dodge things from offscreen for like no reason is a huge blemish on the coolest boss in the game.

The minimap helps a lot with that one. Which I only really noticed because I kept dying, but hey. It helped.

At least it's hacking attacks, so you can avoid taking damage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snak posted:

Doesn't that ending have an amazing line about "life being a pretty much continuous stream of embarrassing moments"?

It's so good.

It does, yes.

And yeah, they're loose from the cycle, if they let themselves be. Both on a personal level (since 2E and Nines don't have to go on in the murder loop any more), and societally (Now androids know the con that's been run on them for countless centuries, and aren't getting fooled again).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, side note, probably discussed already, but that just struck me as rather clever?

The way YoRHa was structured, with a "terrible secret" known only to the top brass, the whole council of humanity thing.

It means that everyone who knows assumes they're "in the know" is going to try to stop anyone from poking too deep, and finding out the whole expiration date deal. There's more than enough to keep quiet already, and they're too busy with that to look for more.

It's just this cycle, the timing worked out just right for Nines to survive poking at what he shouldn't know, and things spiraled further from there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

potatoducks posted:

I just beat ending A and can't seem to find the chips that I was using during that run. Am I supposed to have gotten them back into my inventory? I did die a few times on the final boss but I didn't see a body to collect.

If you died on the boss and didn't collect your body, those chips are gone.

Happened to me as well. If you still had your chips, they'd be slotted in like usual.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not saying that Tin-touched Androidicus could be basically the same and fit with Taro Yoko's usual style.

I'm just not saying it with very specific emphasis.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

Kaine's DLC outfit :raise:

Suddenly I realize how much nicer 2B's original dress is and at least A2 got pants. The total price is $15 which feels a bit expensive but cosmetics.

2B's design is interesting since it's incredibly fanservicey, but it works in a way a lot of similar designs don't. It's distinctive, it suits her character, and it's clearly integrated into the rest of the world's aesthetic. There's a touch of class to go with the excellent rear end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm surprised there's no concept art of Jackass considering she's voiced and probably the second-most important resistance android after Anemone.

Jackass is weirdly important for a minor character. Or weirdly minor for an important character. She's only got a couple walk on appearances in the main plot, but a ton of sidequests either have her in a cameo or center around her, and the artbook confirms she knows the commander because she's her pal. Don't you talk to her about the commander.

Kind of interesting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

She's arguably the most fleshed out character aside from the leads, Pascal and D&P. I admit it's probably wishful thinking, but it makes me wonder if there's not (or at least, there wasn't) something more planned with her.

Although I'm as in the dark as anyone about Taro Yoko's thought process, Jackass feels more like a character who grew as the story went than one whose role decreased.

You know, starting as a minor NPC with a walk on role, then someone figured they needed a bit player for a sidequest, so why not include her again, and things kind of snowballed from there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Alright, I just beat BEAT the game, and I'm still pretty puzzled about stuff - I guess I'll spoiler it just in case. I'm pretty sure most of this has been addressed before, but I'm not gonna scan 190+ pages to find it.

So, Nier happens, and by then humanity is already well past the point of hosed. All the 'humans' around are replicants, and even they are getting hosed up by the black scrawl which was apparently the fault of a single deviant Devola and Popola unit. As a result ALL D&P pairs are shunned and exiled by other androids. In order to try to mitigate the damage, another D&P pair relocate what little uncorrupted replicant data still remains to a server on the moon. All hope for humanity is pretty much nil from the get-go, that's clear enough, but a couple of questions remain:

-When was YorHa formed, and for what purpose? Was it just to oversee and monitor the Gestalt Project? It's pretty clear that YorHa's combat androids and the resistance's androids are distinct, separate entities. I guess YorHa androids are advanced enough to upgrade themselves and even design new units, but was YorHa as we know it established before or after the alien/robot invasion? By the time the aliens/robots arrive, the humans were long since dead, so who gave YorHa the new directive to form a resistance army in space? Was YorHa command able to modify the parameters of it's mission to that degree?

-Is it the case that the consciousnesses within the machine network established YorHa in order to pit them against one another to force adaptation and evolutionary change? On that note, who/what/why built that big spire at the end, and what was it's purpose? Blow up the moon? Collect data on the android/robot war so they can adapt further?

-I'm still not entirely on board with the gothic-lolita stylings, but I guess when the last roboticists on the planet are Japanese you can't really complain when you get french-maid sexbots with katanas.

-Apparently 2B is actually designated 2E, an executioner model, and it's her job to keep 9S in line and get her 'murk on whenever he gets too clever for his own good, but don't they just respawn with most of their memories anyway? 9S is in charge of backing up his own data, so it's not like she could just reset him to 10 minutes before he had some inconvenient revelation.

-Most importantly to me, what incident actually led to the Machines mimicing humanity? Who gave them their 'treasures'? And if they're alien, why do they look so...human-ish? For the most part they look very utilitarian and based on construction equipment rather than an invading alien army. And related to that, how/why were Adam and Eve spawned? They kind of just came out of nowhere. Are they similar consciousnesses to the ones that A2 argues with at the very end of the actual game?

Okay, going to give this my best shot. No promises I'm right, though.

=YoRHa was formed, as far as I can tell, after the aliens arrived by androids who figured that things were hosed and they might as well try to use this as a morale booster. The Commander's a non-YoRHa model (also a friend/possible fuckbuddy of Jackass's) who was assigned control of the project, which is why she knew about the humans are dead deal. Basically, it was made for androids, by androids, consisting of one android and a lot of re-purposed machine parts.

-Again, best I can tell the machines just allowed YoRHa to be formed since they needed someone to fight, both because of their base programming and to be more human in a Red Queen's race setup. They built the spire to wipe out the "humans" on the moon, but after seeing the way Nines and 2E played things they re-purposed it to send their data into space as a monument to their existence.

-When in Rome...

-Nines gets pretty much rebooted to factory standard when 2E ices him. At least, in theory. In practice, he's been remembering snatches of things and developing on his own. His model was never built to fight, for example, but our Nines learned on his own.

-The machines have been evolving for thousands and thousands of years, steadily becoming more human as they've encountered more of humanity's legacy and gone "Wow, this is way cooler than our deal." Adam and Eve are the furthest development, with the central control network becoming almost human themselves.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm pretty sure this is all correct, but I think it's worth adding that the Commander was still basically a pawn, and didn't know that YoRHa's final purpose was to be destroyed

Yeah. She commissioned the Type Es, sent out kill orders, and generally played dirty, but she was doing it all thinking it was for the good of her people, and to win the war. In the end she was just as much of a dupe as the rest of YoRHa. Which is part of why Jackass is taking things so personal at the end there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Alright, I think I've got a pretty good grasp of YorHa now, but my main question is still what prompted the Machine lifeforms' awakening / the gifts that they found? I remember a conversation that specifically said that the machines appeared to be totally incapable of adaptation in every capacity EXCEPT for combat, so why did some of them suddenly decide to pursue beauty, or philosophy, or pacifism out of the blue?

Jackass explains that in her report. Basically, the core AI wanted to try out every idea on the whole "Let's be human" tree, so it made some weird one-offs to try and hit angles it'd normally miss. Pascal, the Forest King, and the like were a result of that line of work. And, since that type of machine was much less likely to throw themselves at mobile cuisinarts like A2, they kind of built up over time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I get the feeling someone at some point mentioned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm - which is a real and cool and functional thing - to Yoko and he actually read the wiki page in full and based his writing on it appropriately (instead of just clumsily name-dropping the term over and over while getting everything else wrong about it like many others).

I was similarly impressed with the name-dropped philosophers. As far as I could tell, all the references were at least based off something about the character. Pascal is a prodigy, Kierkegaard is a religious thinker, Grun is exiled, Marx and Engles are all about controlling the means of production...

I might be overthinking things, but it seems the game bothered to at least make little jokes for people who understood the subject, even if it was mostly just theme naming.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Welp.

Just figured out something that had been a loose end bugging me. Or at least, I think I figured it out.

So, early on, you're told that the YoRHa contact in the resistance had been out of touch. Never comes up again. Which I thought was weird, only now, thinking back?

That was almost certainly Jackass. And the reason she was out of touch was probably the setting up explosives bit, combined with the generally being Jackass bit. Thus, no followup to the resistance contact question, because you found her, and she's fine.

She mentions she heard about B2 from "our leader", which seemed like it was Anemone phoning ahead when I first played, but looking back? Probably Commander White filling a friend in on some of her best and brightest.

Another mystery solved, I suppose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

2B is jogging down a trail in a park, and a mechanical snail is crossing her usual route...

What level is the snail?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think i was 99% attracted by the demo looking like a decent platinum game (and they've had their fair share of clunkers so that was something i'd been eagerly anticipating), but yoko taro being a unique and funny character in the more off-kilter marketing certainly helped put his name on my map.

I doubt i'll spend a minute on that alice sin mobile game with cutesy anime girls even if they heavily try to attach his name though.

I figure the demo was a big part of the success, yeah. It wasn't just an indication the basic mechanics were solid, but it was a cool chunk of game in its own right, and it shared easily on social media to say "Hey! This game you might have vaguely heard of? It's good!"

I'm also going to toss "2B's design caught on bigtime" back into the math. It wasn't anywhere near enough on its own, but it got more eyes on the rest of the marketing, and got more people looking at the demo. Even if a game sells itself (and I'd say the demo is pretty solid about it), you need people to see it first, and "Oh, this is the game with the robutt." gets you eyes.

Add in "This is a sequel to that good game nobody played, but it's cool if you didn't play it because now it's robots in the future of the future" and "who's the weird dude in the mask?" and you get a boost that Nier 1 didn't have.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

9S Spoilercast I already thought 9S was pretty strong as a character, but the post-save-deletion playthrough I've been doing to go through everything has made that even more so. 9S is established as being lonely and desperate for companionship in his ending, to the point where, even though he kinda knows 2B keeps murdering him, he's still very attached to her and excited about being able to work alongside her. He tries to reach out and be friendly with his deadpan Operator, but doesn't realize that 21O was feeling the exact same way he was until she's already outfitted as a B model and infected by the logic virus in their fight. The only two people he felt he could reach out to for companionship created such weird, complicated signals, but at least it was something.

He's been saying the whole game "machines can't feel, nothing they do is reasonable" because that's what he's been taught. The foundation of his existence is that he's fighting a war against unfeeling tin cans for the sake of his creators, and then he meets more and more machines who act peaceful or long for each other or have crippling existential crises that lead to suicide, and finally learns that the people he's been fighting for don't even exist, and never will again. That's two out of three (or four, counting 21O) things that got him by in his life shattered, and he's still programmed to protect humans, even though he knows that he's longing for something that's long gone.

Then 2B dies for good, and he really has nothing. So he falls back on his previous purpose, murdering machines, and makes up a new purpose (A2 killed 2B) so he has some kind of meaning in his life. That's the whole theme of the game, finding some kind of meaning in something that is inherently meaningless. He's not thinking rationally, he's shutting down, he's being obstinate, he's doing his best to ignore reality because every time he does it's another little crack. Kyle McCarley did a fantastic job with those points, in the Meat Box, Soul Box, and when playing the last part as 9S; when he screams and yells "shut up" over and over he's not being animu crazy, he's desperate and horrified. I never really thought it was played up.

I'm probably not making points that haven't been made already, but eh.

I also found it interesting how

He keeps killing more of 2B in his pursuit of vengeance for her. First the program that took the shape of her in his memories, then the clones, and finally A2, who'd literally taken up her sword, and who was clearly becoming a lot more like 2B from the inherited memories. (Somebody going from "I will stab all machine babies!" to "Fine, Pascal. I'll build the kids a slide." is not a natural progression in that timeframe, you know?) Where she found killing him harder and harder, he finds it easier and easier.

On a related note, it's interesting how ending E can, if I understand correctly, spin out of both ending C and ending D, since they both leave the leads in about the same physical position, while leaving their emotional states, and the state of the machines, quite different.

A2 can either be snatched back from shame and failure and regret, or brought back after finally finding the death that she was searching for. I mean, her realizing how beautiful the world is leans towards her not entirely minding, but it's still going to leave her in a very different place. Nines could have seen snatches of the machines offering him a paradise in the stars, or not. The machines could be out there somewhere in the heavens, or paid in full for their sins on Earth (while the last of YoRHa is spared, despite all their own crimes. The gods are not just. Whatever would become of us if they were?) And even aside from the two endings, Pascal can be alive, dead, or amnesic,

2E's the only constant there, finally dying to save the man she loved rather than having to kill him, and awake in a world where everything that kept them apart is gone. ...Which, in an interesting reversal, would leave him the one feeling desperately unworthy. She won't feel good, but she finally did things right, while Nines didn't.

As I said. Interesting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section 9 posted:

Full game spoilers and ridiculous speculation

I don't really believe this is the intent, but I like to speculate on weird ideas.

When playing through Route B, is that actually 9S's part of Route A? Or is this another iteration of a situation that has been occuring repeatedly? 2B and 9S are working in a very small area of one ruined city that strangely also includes all of the machine experiments into different areas of humanity. If the androids were really working all over the Earth, then there must be millions of other areas that other androids are doing similar missions. There must also be tons of other "Bunker" satellites. Why are 9S and 2B so specifically important? Has 2B been running the same mission with 9S repeatedly over many iterations, killing him each time, but something about this iteration is different that allows things to advnace?

You can tell it's the same mission, because 2B does the exact same run through her system presets. Completely identical.

And yes, 2E has run with Nines before, over and over and over, but it's not the same mission. What they have in common is that Nines asks too many questions, and so his significant other stabs him to death. Things advance this time because they take out Adam and Eve, key machine intelligences that put YoRHa on the cusp of victory... and therefore enough of a threat that the machines wipe 'em out almost to the last.

Which, in the normal order of things, would lead to a replacement for YoRHa (possibly even with the same name) being built and the cycle continuing, but between A2 discovering her for-lack-of-a-better-word "humanity" again, 9S going completely round the bend, and the pods taking the initiative everything either reached the point where the machines no longer needed an enemy and left, or where the androids finally won their long war, and the cycles broke. At least for the moment. Maybe forever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

For the most part, in most scenarios? I'd say there isn't a functional difference. However, they are still not the same thing. The copy is not the original.

So, you believe essence precedes existence?

I suspect Jean Paul would disagree.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 20, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

That actually reminds me of something I don't remember seeing brought up. Machine cores resemble what souls look like in the Drakengard universe to a suspicious extent

And YoRHa has black boxes based on those, rather than conventional style AIs. Sorta makes sense, I suppose. The terminals were trying to build humans, and using cells from the most available life on Earth might be a step on that path.

Heh. YoRHa androids might even be more human than the standard model because they were designed to be disposable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Question that spoils details all the way up to Ending E: So one thing I've been wondering about, having completed Ending E but not all the subquests yet: did the aliens really create the machine lifeforms? We're told that they did early on, but everything else we learn about the past is a lie and half the information you get is false just because the people relaying it aren't completely in the know themselves. Now, the alien invasion was something like 6,000 years before the events of Automata. Adam and Eve insists it has merely been "centuries" since they wiped out their alien masters, but is this really true? Are we to believe the aliens had unchecked control of the planet for that long and yet the world still looks like human ruins rather than alien architecture?

And then there's Emil, who created copies of himself to fight the aliens 6,000 years ago... and his copies then lost their memories. He believes he failed to repel the invasion. But it could it be that he actually succeeded, and that all the machine lifeforms present today are actually descendants of the copies made by the original Emil so many years ago, having forgotten their own history and simply mistakenly believing they were created by the aliens? It bears remembering that the Emil we meet in the game emerged from inside the head of a machine lifeform, and that the "zombie" machines that attack the Resistance Camp at the end of routes A/B can be seen to have Emil's face poking out from behind their ragged metal faceplates. It's a minor detail, but in Emil's recollections, we see pictures of Emil clones of various sizes, but no machines on the alien side - just squishy squid-people.

Not unchecked. The androids have been at war with them for a long time.

Anyway, commanded mentioned when the ship emerged that they hadn't seen traces of the aliens in centuries. Not ever, not since the war began, but centuries. Presumably, they last showed up shortly before being murdered.

Also, the aliens took at least one Emil clone during their battles. Presumably, that formed the basis for their whole machine lifeform program.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Star Trek transporters gave us Tuvix, so they got that going for them at least.

But they also gave us Neelix again, so... swings. Roundabouts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fedule posted:

"No matter how deep you dig, you will never find something that is you."

"I don't believe you can adequately explain how you know that."

And here we go with the jackpot.

Descartes kicked off with cogito ergo sum, and you don't have to agree with his conclusions to accept that as one of the most reasonable starting places. The one thing any of us can be sure of is that we do think. All things that we observe have to go through that filter. Anything that rejects that destroys its own ability to draw conclusions. It doesn't prove itself wrong, but it does reject its own capability to prove anything. There's nothing to make the judgement.

I've never given much credit to solipsism, but it always struck me as more robust than the rejection of the self. At least solipsism keeps its ability to respond, even if it's only an echo chamber.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

From the basis of eastern philosophy, the self is an illusory concept, a conceit of ego and nothing more. Your idea of who you are very rarely takes into account the entirety of your being, to the unconscious actions of your organs and nerves to the systems of bacteria living within your blood and stomach. Your idea of yourself doesn't always even reflect the idea of you that others have. The very idea of you is something that you've been taught, out of convenience.

Hindus assert that there is only one Self and it is known by numerous names, commonly referred to as the Godhead, and it is manifested in myriad forms, all of existence, for the purposes of play. It wants to experience all aspects of the world without knowing what the outcome will be. It does this for no other reason besides it is enjoyable, and that is the foundation of creation.

The Machines, as I'd noted earlier in the thread, function similarly to this, with the appearance of free will giving way to the fact that all machines are capable of being subsumed by the greater Machine Network. They are all various aspects of this singular (or rather, jointly dual) self that is manifesting itself in different ways for the purposes of experimentation, learning...what you might call a form of play. All to further its own growth and evolution.

This cosmic viewpoint is shared by Buddhism, and would be the religious background, most likely, that Taro himself grew up experiencing, though Japan is a very secular society.

Except some machines are cut off from the network, achieving a true "self" derived from the splintered self. (Which, interestingly, parallels some Christian writing on the nature of self, but, tangent. Focus in on the main point.)

Pascal's village consists of machines that made the terrifying step from oneness to having full "Self" and "Other", exchanging knowledge for freedom, and accepting death as a cost for life. It's played up most prominently with Adam, but it's true to an extent for every machine off the network. They might have been mere manifestations of an experimental larger will, but in many cases they grew in the fragmenting to the point where they were no longer compatible with what they were. Towards the end, A2 even scores a victory over the machine network by ending its unity, allowing it to destroy itself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

I honestly don't know how so many people seem to have been able to effortlessly roll with the game's assertion that all these various war machines are thinking & feeling individuals. Like, the very first time 2B and 9S had one of their
:3:: "hay do u liek me"
:geno:: "emotions r FORBIDDEN"
conversations, I was popped right out of the narrative. If you are designing a self-replicating army of autonomous artificial intelligences to carry out your one last desperate gambit for the salvation of the entire human species, you do not make them horny. :rant:

Hey, it's not like making sapient species on accident is new to Nier humanity.

Also, it's worth noting that androids were built to basically have giant killboners as a motivation to fight more. Similar endorphin rush. Not exactly a surprise that Nines and 2B would get the hots for each other from an endless cycle of murder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Well poo poo. Did I miss anything cool that I could have gotten postgame when I deleted my save?

Jackass gives a summary of the entire plot. It's amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I wasn't paying that close attention at the time, but most game credit scrolls have "and you, the player" in their special thanks. I'm not sure if having it or not would be more telling in this case

Nope. I was paying attention. You get a "Thank you for playing" instead. Which fits better.

You're not one of the gods. You're one of the people rejecting them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You're not playing as 'you' during that segment, you're playing as the pod.

Even so, it's your save being sent out, and even without that it's your message of encouragement showing up for other people. The pods talk directly to the player in the end, after all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

I played a teeny, tiny role on the project but I am disproportionately proud that it was enough to become one of the "gods" and get blown up by helpful and encouraging players all over the world. So hello goons, you shot me with lasers :unsmith:

He has become as gods!

We must ALL become as gods!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

It's even worse when compounded with the fact that it's not just knowledge, but they're programmed to care about protecting humans under all circumstances, and you can see in the last fight how much it tears 9S up to know that humans don't exist but he's still got that nagging drive to cherish and protect them. On top of that, there's the safeguard you find out with Anemone, where they're apparently incapable of killing themselves unless it's approved by outside authority for the purpose of the mission.

Imagine that on a wide scale, with every single android in existence going loving nuts because their lives have no inherent meaning and yet they don't even have the choice of the machines who started killing themselves in droves, like the Wise Machines or the Lord of the Valley sidequest.

Well, we know that the androids find out, from Jackass's report, but we also know that Jackass is coping.

Admittedly, she's mainly coping by plotting the murder of everyone behind the conspiracy, but, you know, everyone's got their own methods.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

E: high five dude above me

I just don't know how anyone was fooled by that because the whole time I kept thinking Spoiler for original Nier "But we already doomed all the humans to death 6000 years ago, I played Nier. I know how we hosed it up."

I second guessed myself a time or two just on "The humans are dead. But that's obvious. So maybe the humans aren't dead yet, and they die again somehow? Because, man. It's obvious how dead they are. Too obvious.

Kept me busy while the game set everything else up, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Iretep posted:

i assume pascal is referred as a he because its a machine so it doesent have a gender. theres no good natural sounding way to refer to something in a gender neutral way in english that a mainsteam audiance would understand.

Machines do have genders, though. It's part of their trying to be human schtick.

'course, that means there's things like the "little sister" machine being twice the height of, and just as old as, her "older sister", but, you know. Machines. They're pretty much trying everything to see if it holds the secret to Being Human.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 24, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I saw the Japanese version of the text in a JP player's stream and it doesn't have the error. Someone in localization must have messed up.

Pretty much confirmed by a patch fixing it.

It's definitely an error, and one worth fixing, since it actually hurts dramatic payoff towards the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

Is there some sort of trick for hacking the Amusement Park Statue? I've read you have to hack into one of the enemies near it, kill all of the other enemies and then hack in from a remote controlled enemy but I can't seem to get it to work. It shows up as an enemy on my minimap but there's nothing to be done. This is several attempts later, too.

I had the same problem. What worked for me was chain hacking every enemy in the area to hop between them until the game auto-locked onto the bunny, then hacking it.

Worked better than the times I just tried attacking it over and over, at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

...! posted:

Don't ever venture into the Nier subreddit. Someone actually complained that 9S's inflections during the pregnancy conversation with that one bot completely changed the meaning of what he was saying and went against his personality, thus ruining the scene.

The general consensus there is that the Japanese VA plus English subtitles is Taro's "intended experience" for English speakers and anyone using the English VA is doing it completely wrong and ruining the game for themselves. Yeah.

Looked at it. Seeing some of that, but at a glance I saw a lot more praise for Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley.

There's weebs being weebs, but they don't seem to have an overwhelming majority. Not like, say, the Fire Emblem reddit's reluctance to admit Tearring Saga is a festering sack of poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I don't do sidequests before the bit right after flooded city which I have heard is the point of no return, are they lost forever or can I Chapter Select them or something?

Don't want to pull a Nier and miss them forever, but some of these assholes are like level 50...

You'll eventually unlock chapter select, no worries. And most quests are still open for NG+, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Off-screen Androids created Yorha / humans-on-the-moon in response to androids losing all purpose after humanity died out.

They created the Yorha androids with modified machine cores, because they considered it inhumane to use android cores on androids created just to die. I suppose this means they still considered machines to be completely mindless.

Presumably, they left open a backdoor that they knew the machine network would find at the right time. Probably the machine cores made it possible for a virus to travel unchecked considering I didn't see any true androids get this virus.

The entire purpose of the machines up to end-game was to follow their original programming of fighting the enemy, and part of this meant ensuring there was still a worthwhile enemy to fight. I think the entire game revolved around the idea of finding purpose to exist, with both sides slowly finding a purpose beyond what they were originally created for. The Yorha androids were slowly desiring other things to live for outside of fighting machines (21O's family / 60 dating / 2B9S talking about what they want to do after the war), machines were slowly figuring out other reasons to exist (Pascal's village / Forest Kingdom / The Ark).

That was my understanding anyway.

Basically, yeah. Not quite dead on, but basically right.

Jackass dumps a whole summary on you if you don't delete your save.

As for the basically? You got a few details off. True androids CAN get the virus, as shown in the play. You see one in the game, even!

You know the Commander? Yeah. Standard android. Old friend of Jackass's. And since she plugged into the same database, well, that was a mistake. We can leave it at that.

Basically, the war was a stalemate between the machine intelligence and the hidden android illuminati, with both sides trying to pace their adaptations to never really "win". The point was the game. That said, the machines were planning to blow up the moonbase, which the androids didn't want, and the androids let some designs the machine network was proud of get killed, so it's not like they were always on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wow route C got depressing and I just got to the point where everything explodes and now I'm A2. :smith:

Look on the bright side. It's not like it can get much worse!

It gets much worse.