Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yoko Taro is a madman and I cannot wait for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

InfinityComplex posted:

March 7th is the current official release date for both the Steam and PS4 versions.
There was a correction about the Steam release date, according to a post in the RPG thread the day it was tweeted:

"The Square Enix rep who confirmed the PC release date would fall on the same day as the PS4 version in the West was unfortunately misinformed: officially, there’s not yet a release date for Nier: Automata on PC, though it’s definitely coming some time next year."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Beepy still canon? I mean, space. And robots. And so on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Dark Id posted:

(Cavia was basically a crummy licensed game sweatshop outside weird original titles)
Was Cavia the one with the... time traveling history museum game?... that never got made? Was YT on that?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DanielCross posted:

Drakengard 2 had exactly one contribution to the rest if the series, in that it established Dragons being an opposing existence to the Watchers, a detail which forms much of the backbone for Drakengard 3's plot.
I honestly didn't know that came from D2, I just figured D3 established that! Shows how much I missed not playing that awful game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

From what I remember diving into the Drakengard wiki once, apparently both the dragons and the watchers were both made by the Drakengard universe God because he wanted to gently caress with humans. Also that it's literally the biblical God, with Jesus' death being the splitting point for our universe's and theirs.
Was this established in-game or is it like, audio drama canon? Because I don't remember hearing that before and I LOVE IT AND YOKO TARO :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Badingading posted:

If not then unless it's a date of some in-universe significance it's likely the date that the demo build was compiled, given that it would take at least 1-2 weeks to get the build tested and certified for public release.

Playing the demo last week inspired me to go back and finish the original Nier (previously I'd gotten about as far as Kaine joining my party) and drat, the second playthrough onward hit me like a hammer. Can't wait to see what soul-crushing madness awaits in this game.
If you felt bad about Beepy, don't, he turns back on and becomes the space robot pope messiah.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Mods No Masters posted:

I can't cite a source right now but I recall a claim based on some secondary material that Nier 1's shenanigans botched the reunification process in Japan and all the gestalts and replicants there died, but it went on successfully elsewhere hence there being true humans again.
Yeah, I think it was that Nier 1 dealt with the only source of stabilizing material in Japan but elsewhere the androids were either upfront with the Replicants or just better shepherds and they figured out how to reunify them.

So what I'm saying is, this game might take place in the ruins of America :911:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redreader posted:

Oh yeah I went to the mansion but can't get inside. I suppose that's a bit later. I'm in the temple searching for the prince as someone above said.
The second half of the game kicks off right after the mansion quest, that's your point of no return for sidequests if you care about 100%.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redreader posted:

I already entered and have been locked in, but also IDGAF about sidequests.
Perfect. Don't sweat it, then. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yes, it gets explained.

And you definitely want to do endings B and C, but if you don't want to grind to get the stuff needed for D you can just YouTube it... but you should do it. For reasons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jack Trades posted:

That was confirmed to be false...last I've heard?
Yeah, that was confirmed "not accurate" - they haven't said anything beyond "2017" that I've heard. But I'd also believe a week after Barkley 2.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

From what I've read of the supplemental material & explanations it seems more like humanity and the replicants are both doomed because the replicant reproduction process is reliant on the gestalts. So once the current generation dies out only the other android observers will be left. Yonah will still die eventually & so will everyone else unless there are other stable gestalts like Nier out there somewhere to use as the backbone of the process (but it's heavily implied he's the only one they managed to discover/use in all the time before that). To me it seems like the overall theme & what we may see again in Automata is the struggle around the birth of new sentient life
He's the only one they discovered in Japan, but I think they explicitly said in some of the sidematter that there were others in other locations - and also androids that sucked less at their jobs so the replicants and gestalts didn't end up being afraid of each other and fighting to the death - and that's why humanity didn't die out. I think.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I interest you in this NieR: Automata T-Shirt, Nier: Automata T-Shirt, Nier: Automata T-Shirt?
poo poo Square-Enix.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
March 10th? When the gently caress did SE learn how to do nearly simultaneous PC releases? (and where's my PC FFXV dammit)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Monomythian posted:

Automata apparently has hidden items you can find through hearing high frequency sounds when you are near them, you know the kind only kids and dogs can hear.

The absolute madman.
Holy poo poo, finally being driven insane by various electronic equipment at work that my older coworkers can't hear is going to pay off :smuggo:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HenryEx posted:

I hope not.

18+ kHz supremacy :smuggo:

(i can't actually hear 18+ anymore)

edit: if you wanna try yourself: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/
Jesus, I can't even hear fifteen, much less eighteen. Too much loud music, the kids these days, my lawn...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is the best derail, by the way, even if it's revealing how horribly crippled for life I am.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any specifics on what the PS4 performance will be like? I didn't play the demo.

After playing Nioh I have realized I am pretty much OK with the resolution going to zero and LOD six feet away from me turning into a slideshow as long as it's 60fps
Then I have good news for you. Everyone says 60 even on non-Pro.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dear thread, don't spoil anything else (bought the game on steam and I'm going in blind!) but spoil this for me:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Josuke Higashikata posted:

_____________No____________
Well, that's just slightly disappointing but ultimately completely unsurprising but still Yoko Taro you coulda given me Beepy and I love Beepy so I'm a little sad now but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game

Thanks, time to not click this thread again for two more weeks :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's Steam go-live?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just started. When do I get whatever lets me open all these big gold locked chests? I see loot and I can't get it :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

Route B. Keep a list if you're worried.
If it's that long, I'll be fine - I'm sure I can find most of them again - just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a really early sidequest or chest or something :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If I don't do sidequests before the bit right after flooded city which I have heard is the point of no return, are they lost forever or can I Chapter Select them or something?

Don't want to pull a Nier and miss them forever, but some of these assholes are like level 50...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fangz posted:

You can chapter select when the entire game is over. That said there's some quests that are probably good to do before then.
Works for me. I am fine with just redoing from the start of anything I didn't touch, also. Thanks, thread! Time to leave again so I don't get spoiled :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tell me about this Chip Collector achievement. Does 80% mean that if I get like, levels 0-6 of almost everything and just lower levels of the hard-to-get stuff, I'm there? Or is percentage calculated some other way and there's a whole set of chips I've never picked up?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I was able to hack the golden bunny a few days ago but I haven't come back since and it's not working anymore - the "wipe all the trash in the plaza and then use one of the staircase bots remote controlled to be able to hack it" method. Am I in the wrong chapter or turning the camera wrong or what?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saagonsa posted:

They patched that out as far as I know. You just have to hit it a lot.
Wait, it was actually not intentional? Well, that's kinda disappointing.

Is there a better pod program than Bomb for making that happen? On 9S, because I'm going for the hack kill because it's fast.

e: also I have 91% unit data, what is it likely that I missed if I didn't grind for anything, I want to do all the sidequests :3:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

The Devola and Popola units were supposed to put Nier down to protect the project. Instead, he killed one and the other went in a berserker rage that sent the whole thing out of control. It wasn't their fault, but it *was* their job.
It absolutely was at least partially their fault. They pointed him in like four different directions in the hopes that he'd get himself killed (or see the Gestalts and Replicants living peacefully together in the Aerie) and every single time he came out of it stronger, more determined, and having massacred a shitload more "Shades", and half the time with another ally to boot.

Actually, was it four? I just remember they both told him about the Aerie originally and faked the letter to get him back there five years later, but I don't remember if they sent him to the desert or Emil's mansion the first time or anything.

e: oh and also don't neglect the most important character, Emil totally hosed the other one's poo poo UP with his magic barrier, didn't he kill the second one?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nier era events:
Splitting everyone's soul from their bodies seems extremely rash and an all your eggs in one basket kind of scenario!

I assume this maso particle that spreads the white chlorination isnt captured by stuff like filters and such so underground bunkers arent an option?

They tried dropping a nuke on Shinjuku and all it did was spread it, they built a literal wall around the district that was like thirty feet high to quarantine it, and I think they offhandedly mention filters not working but it's a notable omission from my memories of Nier 1 backstory

Related: At the end of this game, is the entire universe hosed? Because the Ark is made from machine-materials that use magic, so isn't it carrying maso all over wherever it goes? And machines can be hosts for the Watchers, because Eve had their symbol on his chest, so presumably the flower continues its rampage, right?

e: just saw your edit, the reasoning behind it (which is as skimpy as it itself is) is that she's got a penis in addition to having a male Gestalt inside her and she's ashamed of being a hermaphrodite so she deliberately accentuates her femininity but really just Yoko Taro

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

S.D. posted:

It's been said several times in this thread, but Speed Star can go right to hell. Any tips for the second and third race outside of Run Speed chips to +20% and Speed Salves?
This is going to sound like some "I heard on the playground" level poo poo, and I read it on Gamefaqs, but it honestly does work: When you charge your pod's special moves, there's a brief bit where time slows down for everything but you. So if you charge, then interrupt the charge (before it starts firing) with a regular shot, then repeat, over and over and over, you will move at normal speed and he'll stutter-fly at two different speeds. I ended up beating the third one (with 20% run speed but no speed salve) when he was about 3/4 of the way done and that was with loving up the alternating L1/R1 timing.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, asking again: fuckin unit data man, I know I must be missing rare spawns but I'm also at 91%, did I just not kill stuff at some point in Route A or B that was out of the way? Is there a comprehensive enemy list somewhere in order, even if I have to mash triangle a bunch?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synthbuttrange posted:

It just occurred to me when thinking about where Adam came from that the desert robots wanted babies. Of course.
...well poo poo. Yes. Yes they did.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chiasaur11 posted:

The wiki has an enemies list, organized by type.

Might be of some help.
Was perfect, actually. Pointed out the dude with an EM shield below Masamune, the random medium biped in a single room during the Route A escape, a couple fliers in random chapters I hadn't seen, and that plus the bunny and the secret bosses will push me to 95%. Thanks!

edit: secret boss rules, ending E rules, definitely signed my message "North Korea"

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I got an original-Nier spoiler question I don't know anywhere else to ask.

Is Emil's butler an android, or what? There may have been an in-game explanation that I just missed or don't remember since it's been like literally seven years since I played it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TalkLittle posted:

I prefer to believe no, he's just a human and happens to own a mannequin of himself because he's got no friends. He might have been a scientist back in the day and this is the replicant version of him. Maybe Grimoire Nier has more about it, but I haven't read it yet.
I didn't see anything in Grimoire Nier about it. I just assumed he was a replicant because that makes the most sense, but also the mannequin existing kind of makes me hope he's just a normal dude :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TalkLittle posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to buy a copy of this book.
I figured if it was explained anywhere it'd be in there - was watching albrecht speedrun Nier on twitch the other week and someone in chat asked where the grimoires came from and I was like "oh, I know this one, they locked small children in a room until books murdered them" and then linked to a transcription to prove it - but thanks for finding it :shobon:

Also did we ever find out where Cathedral City originally came from or are that and Accord still the two big hanging plot threads?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ruffian Price posted:

Even watching somebody play it can be painful. Read Dark Id's LP like any other sane person
It's not that bad. Like, it plays better than Original Nier but also has a plot less good than Original Nier.

and yes I'm comparing it to another Yoko Taro game from 2010 as a positive point of comparison so uh, whoops

edit: oh right I made another post earlier, re: Accord she/they seem like they're constructed and not born (whether machine/robot/android who knows) so where did they come from, given that such a thing is now a relevant question after N:A, and did I miss whatever kicked off the stable time loop that Cathedral City is in because I don't recall that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not even slightly. I mean, there's possibly story relevance there that could come up in the next game or the one after, but it's just an Easter egg at the moment.