Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

With Nier coming out this week, I thought to myself 'hey, maybe I should give Drakengard a shot!'

About 15 minutes later, now armed with first hand knowledge of how bad a game Drakengard is, I started rereading the LP instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also there's a sidequest that takes around 2 actual weeks to complete if you don't constantly gently caress with the system clock.

is a loving art form.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Downloading now. Here we goooo :unsmigghh:

One yes or no possibly spoilerish question: does the new ending require 100% completion? Actually, what does 100% even get you in Nier Replicant?

You only need all weapons for endings. Actual 100% gets you nothing and should only be done if you think slamming your head against a brick wall until you bleed constitutes a fun Saturday night.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

grieving for Gandalf posted:

was there anything special for getting all weapon stories in Automata? I never even though about filling them out

Fully upgrading all of them unlocks the final bonus boss. (and by extension Ending Y)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

Time-skip isn't so much the point of no return as the game going from act 1 to 2. There's an actual point of no return way ahead if I'm not misremembering.

It is kinda a point of no return, since NG+ starts you after that point, so any quests missed from there are permanently lost.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ymgve posted:

I guess there is some hidden enemy level mechanic because the first time I encountered the boar a hit took over half my health bar, but returning a few hours later a hit took much less of my health bar

I think its less 'hidden level mechanics' and more Nier having utterly batshit level scaling, iirc.

You start with 100HP, then by the end of the game you have like several hundred thousand.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

Question for the OG experts: is this section in the second half with Seafront and you exploring a shipwreck completely new to this remake, or was it previously in a Japanese version but not a western release?

As a gameplay thing, entirely new. But it was the subject of a short story in Grimoire Nier.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Son of a bitch I think they changed the quest split to 50/50 for the remake and the uncertainty is making me paranoid.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

There's one quest in Seafront that triggers late which Devola doesn't mention (in the original), featuring an idiot and his expensive girlfriend

Did you do that one and still have 50% completion?

now all we need is for someone to make a good Drakengard engine

I grabbed that one, Devola is all tapped out on quests, and I'm at 50%.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

Very spoilery question about playthrough 2: Can Kainé understand all the shades, and we can hear them now because it’s her POV? Or can she just understanding her one and it’s us as the player now hearing all the rest?

Also yeah this poo poo owns now. Glad to be past the collecting and into the true Taro poo poo

Kaine could always understand Shades and playthrough 2 just lets the player in on it. There are a few times where Kaine starts talking to nothing only for it to turn out she's actually yelling at a Shade, iirc.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t think of Nier as the kind of series where being spoiled matters much. But umm, speaking of spoilers, (HOLY HELL NEWBIES DONT READ THIS) golly gee does killing those shades an hour in for the first time after being spoiled NOT feel good. At least they took out the additional gutpunch of iirc them having coloring books? :(

They still have coloring books, those are a random drop on small Shades.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

My understanding is that you do Ending D, saves get deleted, you start a new one (possibly with a new name?) and then play through the first few hours until you get to the section in the Aerie where you first meet Kainé. After this, there’s like 90-120 minutes of new stuff and Ending E.

:yokotaro:

You have to use a new name, there's a blacklist for any file names that have hit ending D.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

Minor part 1 sidequest spoilers: The fisherman's gambit no longer includes being forced into working on a fishing boat for a month, this is bullshit

The quest for shark fin soup also has a different ending. In OG Nier it ended with Papa Nier and the tavern keeper saying it was a waste of effort, now it ends with Bro Nier saying it tasted delicious.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Remember to keep an eye on your Steam status.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Also working my way through my second playthrough and I paid more attention to the cutscene for Junk Heap. Gideon really is a huge shithead, isn’t he? Whines his rear end off when his mom’s gone, causes the accident that kills his brother, then turns around and blames a bystander for it. I wish we could kick his rear end.

Grimoire Nier shows that even Jakob was a bastard. His first thought when Nier walked in was to try and kill him, and he was planning on breaking Gideon's legs so he wouldn't try to go into the Junk Heap to look for their mom.

Blaziken386 posted:

quick question: does anyone know if you can change the date to make regular vegetables grow faster

because the only part 1 sidequest I havent finished is the watermelon one, and I'd rather plant seeds than buy them for absurd prices

Changing the date works just fine. If you're on PC you don't even have to quit the game, just save, swap time, and reload.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

Blugh, that's annoying

on a related note, I went to hand in a pumpkin to complete yonah's sidequest just now, but she only wants to talk about helping emil... but going to emil's house would lock me out of every quest. Did I seriously screw myself over by waiting too long? :shepicide:

e: she'll accept it if you reload the map, thank god

Emil's house isn't the cutoff point for part 1, the actual cutoff is getting vapor moss for Popola right after Emil's house. As long as you don't pick up that shiny object you'll be fine.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

For me one of the biggest surprises in Automata was that the Aliens actually existed. The minute it mentioned an alien invasion I thought "this has gotta be bullshit and there's probably some other reason humanity was wiped out, like maybe humanity built the machines or something" but nope, turns out there actually were aliens and they had literal flying saucers!

I just find it hilarious how absolutely hosed the Earth is in Nier.

First you got Magic Goddess Dust murdering people and creating giant monsters to kill everyone else, then the hail mary plan to deal with that goes completely off the rails, then right when the dust is settling from that loving aliens invade the world.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So I finished the Fisherman's Gambit quest line, and something got me curious.

Some of the later fish go against the original tell of dragging the bobber underwater, and instead gives a harder vibration on the first wiggle, and you have to pull on that.

Are there any other tells if you play on KB+M, or are you forced to pull on every first wiggle and lose your bait any time you get the wrong fish?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

amigolupus posted:

To be fair, Popola was probably screaming internally all that time because this idiot jerk just waltzed into the room with one of the key components of their world-saving project, and the idiot had damaged said component so much that it forgot its core programming. She did her best while under duress to come up with a cover story that Nier would understand in hopes of putting the project back on track. I don't think they expected Nier to be so singleminded in saving Yonah that he never once stops to ask pertinent questions even when its staring at him right in the face.

And it's not fair blaming Noir for his voice. That's like saying a person with permanent resting bitch face is actually evil. :v: If you go back to read his lines and mute the game, Noir's actually saying some heroic things about saving the world.

They probably could have set up a more 'ideal' first meeting between Weiss and Noir, but Shadowlord Nier finally losing his patience and heading out in person scrapped any peaceful outcome for that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm at the end of part 1, 14 hours in, and I have a TON of side quests left. I've done 16%. I looked them up and its a lot of fetch quests. Am I going to lock myself out of an ending, or make it more difficult to get one if I move on at 13% quests done?
Just wondering if I should pick off the easier ones to get to 25% or whatever or if it doesn't matter.

Any weapons you get from sidequests in part 1 will be added to shops in part 2, so you can't miss any endings.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm realizing the one major downside to the new Mermaid content
The game takes fast travel away from you literally right after it gives it to you.

Also, speaking of, make sure you talk to the red-bag guy before starting it! He has a new sidequest for you in part 2 that's very :unsmith:

'Okay, I need to hit up Seafront to finish this guy's quest, but I already know the new stuff takes place in Seafront, so I'll just wait until that pops and kill two birds with one stone. What's the worst that could happen?'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ahh, I didn't realize. It is good that nobody talks about it then

To give an idea about how bad it is, the protagonist is an 18 year old anime prettyboy.

He gets the JRPG standard 'hey let's explain basic facts about the world' speeches about the group he's working for, except his adoptive father was the leader of said loving group. That's like getting adopted by Bill Gates and having no idea what a computer is.

It just gets worse from there.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

I almost made it, but there just ended up being a swarm of wolves. Like 20 of the things, and sooner or later the bubble disappears and you have to recast it (which is kind of slow).

Wolves have fuckall stagger resist, so I just killed every wolf I came across by spamming the initial shot from Dark Blast.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Augus posted:

I forgot when/how the sandspouts were unlocked and didn't open them up until near the end of the game :dumb:

the way I did the fragile delivery was to take the long way circling around the outside of the desert so that I only had to deal with a few wolves, and I camped on top of one of the sandspouts and shot those ones with magic until they died

Blaziken386 posted:

I still don't remember how the hell you unlock those. Every time I've been in the desert, they've been "mysteriously nonfunctional"

I, of course, also just ran past the wolves, who were too busy ominously circling (and getting blasted with magic by Kaine) to bother trying to attack.

You have to talk to the Advisor any time after the Barren Temple, iirc.

Granted, the game does nothing to let you know he has something to say, so its easy to pass him by thinking he just has normal dialogue.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Shoehead posted:

Hot tip for anyone time traveling through Life in the Desert on PC. I was saving and quitting to the menu and then changing my pc clock and loading back in, but its easier if you plant, alt tab to change your clock and then zone in and out of town.

I only just realised that on my last attempt and I got the Lunar Tear to spawn so I didn't save a LOT of time in the grand scheme

I found just running to the save point by your house, saving, then changing the time and reloading to be faster.

Saves you an extra loading screen, plus the run to and from the gate each cycle.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've gotten all the endings at last, but I have so many questions, even having gotten all of Automata's endings as well

why did Replicants gain sentience?

if Shades are what's left of pre-Replicant humans, where do new ones keep sprouting from? can Shades procreate? why are they wandering the countryside attacking people? I can't feel guilty for having run around the game three fuckin times killing them when they're just attacking people

what makes Original Nier and Yonah so special? why is this Nier from the past the most important guy on the planet? were they just waiting for their Replicants to be born more than a millennium later so they could get in their bodies?

what's up with Tyrann, the only named Shade who isn't OG Nier and Yonah? he just decided to crawl in a body that wasn't his match?

I feel like Devola and Popola's plan WASN'T to get scrubbed out by your group, so what were they hoping to accomplish?

I know that's a lot, and maybe the point is for it to be open-ended

Replicants becoming aware was completely out of left field for Project Gestalt.

Most of the attacking Shades you find in the world have 'relapsed', which means they've gone crazy. Their numbers are probably just from a ton of humans getting converted. Even if just a million humans became Shades that still makes Nier's rampage a drop in the bucket.

OG Nier is a 'perfect' Gestalt, and is able to produce a substance called maso that stops lesser Shades from relapsing. The scientists on Gestalt promised to cure Yonah (when she was totally screwed no matter what) in exchange for Nier constantly donating maso for all the other Shades. Him coming out and kidnapping Repli Yonah was him finally getting fed up with the delays and deciding to just brute force the issue no matter the cost.

Tyrann was a high up soldier back when Project Gestalt was getting up and running, and hosed up so badly that his Replicant data got deleted as punishment after he turned into a Shade. He has to hijack bodies to keep going.

Devola and Popola's original plan was to have Weiss and Noir fuse and set off a failsafe that would forcibly fuse all Replicants with their Gestalts. OG Nier directly attacking the village and Weiss refusing to fuse completely scuttled that so they were just trying to make up a backup plan as they went along and failed horribly.

A lot of this is info found in Grimoire Nier.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

Alternately, they have to keep making new Replicants because the Gestalt needs the Replicant to exist to work properly. (Tyrann had his Replicant trashed because they don't give a poo poo if he works properly or not.) This makes more sense given that this has apparently been going on for a thousand years and they probably didn't need the Replicants for all of that time unless they just generally have to exist.

Yeah, if you read the documents that the twins beam into Weiss' head before their boss fight it says that Shades started relapsing around the same time Replicants started becoming self-aware, so there's certainly some link between the two.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

Do weapons get anything interesting at their third (and final if it's the same as Automata) upgrade?

Currently it seems like literally the only difference is in base damage and magic damage, with an extremely minor difference in combo speed (that is only really noticeable if I'm comparing a "Light" weapon with a "Very Heavy" one), but it seems like weapons with higher base damage usually also have higher magic damage and are just objectively superior to their alternatives. In Automata there were generally more options, with upgrades buffing different things.

Nah, weapons only get number upgrades in OG Nier.

Unless you're brokebrain enough to go after the all weapon upgrades achievement, pick one of each type and call it a day.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

I believe it walls off other areas with “oh no you don’t want to go there right now” type written material. You can only go the intended route.

To be precise, Kaine goes 'eh, don't want to freak out the village' if you head that way, implying that three years later and after Kaine saved Yonah the villagers are still spooked by her, the canoe guy says some Shades wrecked the canal, so that's out of commission, and the Junk Heap has a notice saying the number of robots has been increasing, so the entire place has been locked up to keep everyone safe.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm confused:

The brother in the prologue becomes the shadowlord, right? And it's said he's the original shade/Gestalt, so what's up with the shades we fight in the prologue/tutorial?

OG Nier is the first perfected Shade, any shades made before then go crazy immediately.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Last Celebration posted:

So I’m near the timeskip and why does the Shadowlord look like Young Nier? I’m pretty familiar with the story of Nier through LPs and summaries but that’s one thing that’s obviously never come up. And gently caress, it’s a real gut punch making you actually click that option at the end. And also wow does this work much better with a little baby Nier getting punked, really sells how powerless you feel

Also I don’t get the complainants about Noir sounding bad? It sounds hammy but umm, the other magic talking book sounds extra af too??

Shadowlord Nier is the Nier you played in the prologue, turned into a Shade. The Nier you play as is a Replicant based on him.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Did a few rerolls before work but couldn't get any Automata units, so now I'll have to wait till I get home before I keep at it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So GDQ recent uploaded a video for Nier 1.22 and Drakengard 1/3, and it turns out that you can use a precise series of jumps to make it into the Lost Shrine during Ending E, which makes the game think you're back on Ending A and spawn you in as post-timeskip Nier if you go back to the village while letting you keep Kaine's Sword.

This has some fun side effects on the rest of the game, like never giving you the 2H Sword and Spear quick swap menus (as the game internally thinks you're still young Nier), and completely breaking Emil in cutscenes, as he still has his Ending E model which doesn't play nicely with his normal animations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Much like how all this began with Caim, Angelus, and the Queen getting dropped into modern day Tokyo, Drakenier 4 will have the android gang getting dropped into Not!Spain.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also the gacha is incredibly rear end where you need dupes of characters to increase their level cap, and when I played they were stupidly stingy with the generic SSR level cap items.

Like, I got in at launch and had 2B, 9S, and A2. None of them were close to max level by the time I quit several months later.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Hikaki posted:

Automata apes most of its combat feel from one of the greatest action games of all time, Bayonetta, so it was always going to be good if not great, especially when compared to other JRPGs.

Can you really call it 'aping' the combat feel when it's made by the same devs?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Redezga posted:

There's little tidbits of stuff like this through the game but there is some reward to it outside of the gamerscore so it doesn't feel totally cynical a task. I've been actively working on the weapon upgrades in my current playthrough, but mostly because I'm a lore pig and some of the stories attached to the weapons flesh out the world in some easy to miss kinds of ways like explaining why Facade came to become so strict about rules. I know I could just look them up in a wiki or whatever, but I think part of the fun of doing them is gradually seeing how the stories play out through their four parts. I'd probably gloss over them completely otherwise.

From what I've been able to gleam from Taro interviews and panels trying to look into his creative process it seems he mostly would prefer the player find the game fun and interesting rather than a crushing chore however one chooses to play it, so I suspect at the the least that was just him throwing those particular players a bone.

Keep in mind that the weapon stories were added to the remaster and were originally exclusive to a lorebook. OG Nier had nothing for upgrading weapons other than number go up, so you were grinding for the sake of grinding if you went for the all upgrades achievement

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

That's specifically for the KR version as they're ending service there, iirc.

Bit more in-depth than the usual ending notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

We have Neptunia at home

Neptunia at home: