Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I played the Automata demo a while ago, randomly started thinking of its music again and I've had this one song playing on loop pretty much all weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SDmUpfxCI

I'm basically addicted to this track at the moment. I did get NieR on Ps3 last summer but haven't played it, so I guess my question is is its music even half as good as this one track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How long is NeiR? Like a 40hr jrpg epic or something smaller?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Know-nothing NieR guy here again but I really dig the design of the main character in Automata.

The "regal-ity" is dope as gently caress and gives me some serious Alucard Symphony of the Night vibes . Kicking loads of rear end while keeping it classy af is something I'm pretty down with.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

*builds a little posting nest* I see myself making many, many posts here with you guys in the future :tipshat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

If MGR is anything to go by then you shouldn't start on Hard pretty much ever.
Even Normal was real difficult until you've mastered all the hidden and unexplained mechanics.

Compared to every platinum game I felt MGR's normal mode was far, far too easy. I had a friend try it who doesn't do action games and absolutely shredded normal mode without paying much attention to the mechanics and just button mashed :/

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do we know how long to expect the game to be? Platinum titles are usually 7-12hr-ish but if they're only handling the combat aspect of the design could we expect a longer adventure out of this?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I honestly thought it was some weird in-joke to the series as a whole when people kept posting butt this and butt that in this thread like with MGS. Now I understand. God drat.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Something that's cracking me up about some of the trailer footage I've seen is drat 9S do you have to stand that close when 2B is trying to do sick combos? He's like 2 feet away.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Okay so there's no auto save in this game according to this thread so I have a question. Are there checkpoints? Basically I want to know if this means I lose everything on every death or if I lose everything on quitting the game/it crashing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

New patch up to fix the partial download bug.

Someone has found a store where you can spend in-game money to buy trophies. Yoko Taro :allears:

THIS RUINS THE SANCTITY OF TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL REGRET THIS

BOYCOTT #thot 2B!!!! Sony?????????

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Platinum Games will help you platinum games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is this video game: good?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Got all 5 endings and that last bit was great, this game is a masterpiece but now i just feel kinda sad and empty lol

Also holy crap the voice actor for 9S deserves a video game oscar. What a performance.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Brb, reading all 112 pages of this thread because 60 hours and 5 endings just wasn't loving enough for me apparently.

Route C spoilers: Two times actually almost got me to tear up with 9S- the first was when the virus was taunting him and threatened to delete his memories of 2B and he pleads "DONT DO THIS", the second was in The Tower when you regain control over him after blowing up all the 2B clones, him touching her face and making her touch his face before he rips her arm off. BRUTAL stuff in this game, really took me by surprise how much I reacted to it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I fuckin hated 9S 's stupid design and his stupid voice and his stupid shorts in the demo and here I am now 60 hours later and he's one of my fav video game performances of all time. What a ride :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

My 9S strat was "hack big things, bomb everything else". By the way Bomb is fuckin' dope, it melts stuff.

I made a YOLO build for 9S that was stacking all of Ranged +dmg & 2x level 3 taunts. Combined with the level 2 laser and quickly tapping R1 (the level 2 laser does 2x the damage for the first 1.5 seconds or so) just melted everything in the game instantly.........The catch is don't ever get hit!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I need some help. Does anyone know what exactly spawns that late game special item shop in the resistance camp? You know the one.

Trying to help a friend out who's in late Route B. He lost one of their special chips he got in Route A and wants to buy it back and he's accepted but not initiated the flooded city point of no return mission yet.

For me I recall them showing up sometime around finishing the Forest Kingdom/accepting the flooded city quest he's not seeing them despite reloading his game and fast traveling around. Are they tied to a side quest or something?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

I mean, it doesn't add poo poo to the game either. It's not worth debating because it gets the worst kinds of comments but it's just fanservice, and if it pushes someone away from a great game I'd feel bad.

I think it's an awesome, badass and classy as gently caress which imo adds something to the game if you like the main character's design?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

See what I meant? Not worth discussing. Move on.

No, I don't see what you meant.

Please explain how someone saying "it looks cool and badass" to you could possibly be taken as "the worst kind of comment".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm not writing an essay on themes I just think it's a cool design, but seeing the human form doesn't make me uncomfortable. We are beautiful creatures designed by god of course.

But I also thought every Raiden design (MGS2 > MGS4 > MGR:R) got progressively cooler and cooler which is prob a much more goon-harmful opinion :frogbon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

Personally, I like picking female protags in 3rd person games because if I've got to stare at a butt for hours on end it better be a sexy one.

Lol I haven't seen this dumb thing posted in like a decade. It's like meeting an old friend.

I usually prefer playing female protagonist for no real particular reason but it's all so insufferably politicized now it's not quite as cool to me as it used to be.

Jack Trades posted:

That's the reason why Raiden's rear end in MGR is so good.

:yeah:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have listened to Wretched Weaponry (Medium-Dynamic) probably 1-2+ times every single day since March

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

axeil posted:

Speaking of armor, what's the best way to deal with the armored shades? I've just been using Dark Execution + execute when they come off the pikes but it is really inefficient with mobs.

I've been spamming Dark Phantasm. It instant hits them, costs nearly no MP and you can chain it right into a combo and they can't defend it unless they have a magic barrier. There's no reason to charge it if it's 1 on 1 and it's p much instant so it melts them. If that's not an option use your zip behind move to get behind them and begin attacking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not sure if this is super common knowledge or not but I kind of hated having to go all the way around to the little water bridge from your house to get into town and a few days ago figured out on my own you can actually clear the jump onto that overhanging unfinished wooden pier. I don't think you could do this in the ps3 game. I found a few ways to do it but this was by far the most consistent.

Equip any weapon that can a 3-4 hit air combo, stand on that one highest-most brick in the pile in front of the pier, jump ONCE, do a 3 or 4 hit combo at the absolute height of your jump toward the inside of the pier, double jump and you should be able to land right on it. This saves a ton of time and also is just...really fun to do in general. The hardest part is getting your attacks off at the peak of your jump but you'll get the hang of it.

Try it!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you're fast enough going full speed sprint you can even do it from that little hill that juts out a bit higher located right behind those rocks, which I imagine would be ideal for speedrunning since you don't have to precisely land on the very small cinderblock, but the timing was too inconsistent (I had to space out each hit of the combo to extend the horizontal movement to land it, get an airdash at the end and barely reach it, but would often time-out of the combo and fall).

And again, for some reason it's just really fun to jump up on that pier from the ground and skip that stupid bridge lol. Also makes Part 2 of the game WAY FASTER when heading to the dock.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

PC ver speedruns will be fun since they'll only be able to go by in-game time since Nier Replicant suffers from an issue that mostly affects many Japanese studios that still tie all timing to fps instead of delta or whatever. I'm sure this is old news, I just didn't realize it til I saw others streaming it that my game has been running about 30-35% faster than normal going at 75-85fps lol. It actually rules and I love it and there's now a 13 hour discrepancy between what steam says and what my save file says. I hope I can finish the game before they fix it :getin:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think Capcom is the only Japanese company who's really been killing it with very competent pc ports in the last few years. Re2, re7, re3, mh:w, dmc5 were all stellar as far as I know

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ok even though I'm very used to yoko taro by now, the route B ending of the new quest with the ship in Seafront still got me good lmao

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Just to double-check - you don’t need the save data from after ending C to get ending E, right?

I was able to E by getting ending C, reloading my save from right outside shadowlord's castle before getting ending C and going through with ending D, skipping myself another romp through Part 2, so my save file technically only ever had endings A and B on it, even thought I saw C but didn't continue from a C completed save to get D and E if that answers your question

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Me after writing that last post

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Uhhh when is it recommended to do Disturbing the Sleep of Kings? I keep getting one-shot by the big shade at the end of the bridge.
Pop some defense doubling pills, you certainly have a ton stashed by now :c00l:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

They didn't help!

Sorry pal :eng99: That was the very last sidequest I did before having 100% sidequests beaten + beating the game for the first time and I think I was around level 30-33 when I did it.

You can come back to this sidequest any time you want even after beating the game so I wouldn't sweat it for now if you're far under that level. Either come back around 30s or if you absolutely need to conquer it now your best bet is prob to staying at range, using magic, so you don't get hit and use magic ups to make it go by faster. I'm stubborn so I could see myself trying the latter haha.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

For whatever reason Kaine has this one line in the final level that really cracks me up, and even made me laugh harder each time she said it on successive final level clears: in the ball room she just goes out of no where goes "Buncha dancin' bastards."

There is something so spot on about this choice of words and delivery that could only come from an extremely, extremely angry person :discourse:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Ending E question: Is it unavoidable, or do you have to make specific choices to get there? How obvious is the cutoff?

It's literally impossible to miss it once you create a new char after ending D. The game literally won't let you skip the inciting cutscene (iirc it says "This memory is not skippable") so mash that motherfucking button until you see someone underwater

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love how this game has a "this is the point of no return. proceed?" confirmation prompt before entering final level, and in the 2nd room you enter, before you even fight anything, you get an option to just give up and warp back to town anyway

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Hmm, I’ll check it out. I’m most interested in the new ones, though. I might grind them out after all.

By the way, Ending E spoilers:

So there’s this one achievement you get.

Title: e8a898e686b6e382b5e383bce38390e383bc
Description: e38392e382abe383aae382ace3839fe382a8e383ab

Obviously this is hex, but I have no idea what encoding it’s supposed to be. Any ideas?

Apparently if you translate it to japanese it translates to "Storage Server", which makes sense. Tho a bit anticlimactic.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I did all that work and people have already figured it out. :negative:

What the gently caress could that possibly refer to, though? The Forest, maybe?

I mean a Memory Server is just literally where the whole thing took place unless I misunderstood the whole thing the twins explained as soon as you walk in

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I took that phrase as Kaine's a metaphor for what brother nier meant to her as she was drawn towards "the light" to find him while not even knowing exactly what it was that she was driven to :unsmith: and written that way cause they were just being cute with the computer-centric plot device

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe he's telling the truth to Weiss and all of his letters' handwriting bear a striking resemblance to the postman's :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Something I noticed in my many runs through Shadowlord castle is in the second battle with Devola and Popola, during the first phase of the fight against Delova, Popola just stands around in the background for a while and eventually starts powering up Devola by doing some really cool dance numbers in the back. I really enjoyed watching her dancing - she has a ton of different moves! And I think the start of her dancing may be timed to only start with the vocal tracks kick in to the fight, but I'd need to go back and try it again. Really cool!