Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The combat is going to be so good. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

his tiny head is freaking me out

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Their Revengeance port was great. :pcgaming:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am going to beat up all the construction equipment that has come to life.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

Demo was very fun.

Note: Hard Mode, on top of ramping up enemies' damage, also makes them faster and smarter, and the demo boss has a different attack pattern and a couple new attacks on hard.

This game is going to own so loving much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm liking a demo but a block button would be nice; the dodge isn't very useful for actually avoiding damage, since the very next attack will likely just hit you anyway. There's so many enemies that dodging forward to the one attacking means dodging into the next hit, and dodging to the sides means running into someone else's bullet or attack.

This is Platinum so I'm sure there will be something you can equip that will let you block and negate all damage, just like Bayonetta.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trojan Kaiju posted:

How did people here remap their controls? I put evade on X and jump on O because having evade on a trigger seemed like a terrible idea but I keep forgetting about my jump in fights so I don't know if there's a more ergonomic setup or if I'm just bad at it. Probably just bad at it.

Also this is my first time hearing that there was more to the Nier endings than what we got and I'm not at all surprised that a Nier sequel is going off of that information.

You should try evade on a trigger button again. It is really nice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

All of the people that didn't buy Vanquish, because it's almost unimpeachable on a pure gameplay level.

I lent Vanquish to 4 people with my highest recommendation. 3 of them didn't get through the first level because they found it dumb and confusing. It didn't matter to me, it didn't matter to the fourth guy, but it matters to a lot of people. And yeah anecdotes aren't data, but Vanquish flopped and I'm sure a good chunk of that is because it's absolutely not a narrative experience in any way that matters, and that is a GIGANTIC priority for people that buy single-player only games.

Those people have bad taste because even the first level in Vanquish owns.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think you're forgetting it sits behind a very bland tutorial with very stupid dialogue and also a cutscene with, shall we say, Heavy Anime Elements (and an 18-wheeler delivering a heaping helping of Steven Blum ham)?

One of them gave up, btw, when after multi minutes of cutscenes she didn't care about, she ran Sam down a corridor for about 10 seconds - and into more cutscenes.

Now I personally think that Vanquish is extremely excellent and the first level does, in fact, own - but we're talking about why Platinum ended up with other people's IPs. And the answer is that their stories, plots, and characters are all off-putting to the average person, which is who they needed to appeal to for mainstream success. So much of video gaming is sold on flash and hype and those initial impressions to trailers - and Platinum just falls down in this area. I'm not saying that it's fair, just that it's reality.

I did forget about the tutorial part :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Genocyber posted:

It's funny, despite this being developed by Platinum this game still has a lot of really badly designed gameplay. The big open areas in this do the game no favors, since they're largely empty and just make you take longer to get to the NPCs/quest locations. First Nier was way better about this. Also the combat is honestly a lot less fun than the first Nier. You get a lot of combos but most of them don't seem all that better than the basic light and heavy attack combos, meanwhile the equivalent to the awesome magic from the first game is both more limited (you can only equip one at a time as far as I can tell) and prohibitively expensive, costing as much as the weapons to purchase.

The magic in the first game was bad :ssh: It looked neat, but that's about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alder posted:

It's my first time with a digital PS4 purchase and apparently it needs 40 hrs to download via wired connection? Is this normal?

Pause the download, wait a few seconds then resume it. It should pick a server that is closer to you and you will get much faster download speeds. Try it a few times if it doesn't work right away.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dazat posted:

2B 's audio recording for 9S, the latter of which isn't even a side quest and is super easy to miss.

Where/how do you get this audio recording? I assume it's during route C

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Flooded city, look at the edge of the water for a flight unit before you get to the platforming over collapsed buildings. You're right about Route C. You can also interact with A2, which is kinda interesting too.

:tipshat:

:(

Though the recording did remind me of the most famous line of dialogue from Devil May Cry 1, so I had a good laugh.

Monomythian posted:

So minor plot hole?

How can 9S not recognise Angelic when its the language he uses to hack with?

Doesn't look like anything to him :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I just saw in some fanart for 2b that there are fist weapons in this game? Can you get some fist weapons reasonably fast or is it locked behind a bunch of poo poo?

I think the earliest fist weapons you can find are in the forest area. Need to climb a hill and do some platforming to find them inside a tree trunk. Then run away because there are level 35 enemies who spawn after you grab them.

Fist weapons are cool

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

Starting Route D tonight.

It's not much of a route as you can just use chapter select to the final mission and pick the other option.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

What like just skip to the end beat it then repeat?

Yep.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

Yes, the Bunker is in black and white. It's meant to emphasize that Earth is pretty and natural.

Which is kinda funny because earth itself is really washed out. Yoko Taro just hates colors.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nuebot posted:

I want them all on steam.

EDIT: Game doesn't detect my PS4 gamepad. That sucks.

I bet we would only get Drakengard 2 :twisted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Artless Meat posted:

I'm not sure if my game is hosed or what.

Path C Spoilers:

I'm at the part where Pascal's village goes crazy and I have to kill the evil robots. I've checked everywhere and killed them all, and all the robot corpses just to be safe, but nothings happening. I autosaved when I loaded in too, so I just reload at the village. Did I gently caress my save or am I just missing something super obvious? Trying to leave just makes A2 say "I can't leave the village to fend for itself"

Did you get the flying snake robot that circles around the area? Then another one spawns in after the first one.

Or check in the lower area. I missed one there the first time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope no one complains about the twin stick shooter parts lest his next game be nothing but that. Goddamn was that poo poo overused.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

What is the missable thing?

You can miss out on a pod upgrade chip. S size I think. Or at least I wasn't able to get it after unlocking chapter select.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure you can get multiples of this from the golden stubbies in the city ruins (can't speak for its other locations), though I can't remember if they keep spawning if you complete the event series. I definitely have more than I can use on my 100% save.

Yea I never saw them again after completing the questline. Or maybe the spawn is really rare. Didn't worry me too much, but others may care.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zinkraptor posted:

So, I have an odd question for those of you with any knowledge of Japanese. (Route B spoilers) So, when 9S is trapped in his own mind or whatever and Adam is messing with him, Adam says something along the lines of "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2b , aren't you?". I assumed the point of that statement was that **** could stand for both "gently caress" or "kill", since they're both four letter words and fit into the weird sex-and-violence themes that the game has going, like with the strangling scene. But the game is Japanese, which makes me wonder - what was that line in the original Japanese text? Having **** stand for either word only works in English. Do they do something similar, or did it perhaps turn out that they were explicitly referring to one word, not both?

Vermain posted:

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

Does ending E just pick up from there? How long is the journey to ending E after getting c/d?

Leads right into it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RanKizama posted:

Yeah they did. Cover in Route B.

Possible spoiler? Just being safe.

9S uploaded both his and 2B's info to the Bunker when 2B was fighting the Goliath and he was laying all jacked up on the roof. That way their info and memories were saved to their backups in the Bunker. The other members of her squad never had the chance.

pffft, at most they lost like 20 mins of progress or however long it takes for them to fly down from the bunker :v: Upload those saves Commander!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

Deadly heal +3 or better is basically "I win, gently caress you" for anything outside bosses. It's absurd, you need absolutely nothing else defense-wise in my opinion.

As far as pod programs go, I'm gonna be honest: I pretty much just stuck with laser throughout the near-entirety of my playtime. It was there to swat ranged units out of the sky or triple-charge for a little extra oomph on top of my melee.

Laser is the loving poo poo. Though a triple charge of bomb(grenade?) also completely destroys the target.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

As someone who didn't play the first Nier can anyone clarify how the routes work? Is it a clear direct progression from A through to E or what?

I'm only at the beginning of the game still, having just conquered the boss in the desert you encounter after chasing a machine through an apartment complex. Digging the music though.

Also I'm worried from the Steam thread that I'm not gonna want to play this, since I'm on something fierce of a sadbrains downturn and Yoko Taro is a jerk I guess? :ohdear:

Route A -> Route B -> 3rd Route which has the C, D and E endings.
Once you beat the 3rd route once you get chapter select so you can go right to the end and pick the other option for the other ending. That takes you directly into ending E.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

Someone in imp zone tried to do it without help and said that after many, many restarts the credits just stopped taking damage entirely. Surprised no one on pc has cheated their way through it yet.

That's hosed up that the game won't let you beat it without help. That ending falls even flatter for me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Huh, I just realized Ending E is a very effective anti-piracy measure. Now I kinda wanna see if people make a workaround for the thing.

How so? At that point you have beaten the game 4 times and are just missing out on a few scenes you can youtube. You can literally do everything in the game before you hit that "anti piracy" check.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Finished the game but there is still some things I don't understand:
who are "they"? The ones who prepared yorha to be destroyed and replaced. Droids from the moon or something?
how was the "backdoor" supposed to destroy yorha? If the plan worked they would just join the machines, giving machines more weapons, how is this a good idea in any way?
who were those 2 girls in the tower?

They are the machines. Machines destroy and rebuild Yorha so they can evolve through the constant combat with them. Yorha exists because the machines allow it. The 2 girls are the machine network aka the will of the machines. Adam and Eve are high level machines / admins, but they don't have the full picture.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Ahh, I see. Is there information on how this came to be? I assume there was initially an actual android vs machine war but now they ultimately control the androids. Also the moon situation in unclear. The commander gets her orders from the moon server or? Moon broadcasts certainly seem to be part of the system to keep androids going so why build a missile to destroy it?

I think all of this info is explained ingame and through the texts you can find. I also can't remember, but I don't think it is explained where the commander gets her orders from. Probably the moon. Have you beaten route C and seen endings C and D? One of them explains what the big rear end tower is(not a missile).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CrashScreen posted:

Where is it stated that the machines rebuild YoRHa?

I don't think its explicitly stated, but implied. Or maybe it was in one of the documents you find as you climb the tower. Either way, the machines had the backdoor to the bunker. They evolve through combat so they need an opponent to keep fighting. Also why would there be 14 machine wars instead of just 1 long continuous war if they didn't keep destroying and rebuilding Yorha.

Someone with a better memory can chime in and correct / fill in the blanks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RanKizama posted:

This is just personal theory, but I think "they" refers to the android authority that oversees the human genome on the moon. YoRHa is given just enough information to be functional to their purpose and when they've outlived that, the backdoor is opened and they're wiped out so that the next cycle can begin and fresh data can be accumulated while simultaneously building better androids. I believe that the purpose of this isn't just for combat ability, but to further android evolution on even an emotional level to make them progress into what humanity once was. If they do have the human genome on the moon and their task is to save humanity, then it would make sense for them to conduct these continuous cycles to evolve the androids to a point that they can be possibly be used as a vessel to actually restore humanity in the future.

I'm kind of talking out of my rear end since I don't have all the info, but that's what I think. Am I even close?

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it seems to me like there's still two separate groups fighting, the machine consciousness and whoever is overseeing the androids, presumably some remnant of human consciousness/AI on the moon. The latter group is responsible for the YorHa destruction cycle, I guess they used the machines to do it as basically a false flag operation to keep the other androids around, like the resistance group, in the dark.

I am 99% sure that the only ones in control are the machines / machine network. There is no human AI or genomes or whatever the gently caress on the moon. There is probably just some skeleton crew that runs the fake broadcasts to give the androids something to believe in. The machine network keeps setting up Yorha and fighting them so they can evolve. Once Yorha runs it's course, they blow it up and rebuild a newer set of androids to fight against so they can keep evolving.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, maybe it's just because of the way it's used in route B, but holy cow do I ever hate hacking. Every single time they have a mandatory section in-story, it seems like it brings the momentum screeching to a halt. :(

Better learn to love it friend.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

The lack of save points in the first forty five minutes in the game is dogshit. How am I supposed to actually play or enjoy the game if I'm going to get punished that hard if I lose?

Do it on normal then don't worry about it

Or easy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Omi no Kami posted:

Aw man- I know ending E is so uncharacteristically happy for a Yoko Taro game that the price had to be paid somewhere, but that sucks.

Or the pods could put them back together but leave them feeling guilty forever :twisted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

(Big spoilers)

I've seen several people (in this thread and elsewhere on the internet) who seem to be under the impression that YorHa was created by the Machines. From what I can tell, this is simply not true.

Are you gonna share why or ?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Not having autosave can save your butt if you lose chips. Like, if you fail to reclaim your corpse, you can just load your game. Because there's no autosave.

I mean, they could have put autosave in a different slot and still let you manually save.

But Yoko Taro is a spiteful man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Exactly.
It's thinking like that which makes Yoko Taro a good developer. I know this is the Taro circlejerk thread basically so yeah, you're gonna expect this kind of post in here, but he's just generally more inventive, interesting and more forward thinking than basically every other dev in the industry. People bring up Kojima but even he plays most things more straight forward.

Well, Kojima also makes games that are fun to play.

Yoko Taro can develop the game / write the script, but someone needs to be in charge of gameplay to truly make it good. Even Nier Automata is just ok or passable in terms of gameplay.

A Kojima / Yoko Taro game would be great. Unless Kojima did the writing and YT did the gameplay then :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Yeah, I guess that's one of the things that I appreciate in the game. The camera isn't actively fishing for perv shots, even if you might be, and it would've been very easy to just shove those angles in.

Did people play a different game where the camera wasn't being dragged around at ground level so you could see 2B(utt)?