Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wayfar 1444 is a MOO currently in beta, built on the Hellcore platform, set sometime in the distant post-cyberpocalyptic future. You play a colonist dispatched to some godforsaken corner of the universe to build up a space colony from scratch, fighting wildlife, space pirates, gangs, and other players. Uniquely for this kind of game, a lot of content is procedurally generated! I enjoy this game quite a bit, but it doesn't have a huge playerbase; the main hellgames get most of the attention, and many people don't even know it exists.

You can connect to the game with your client of choice at wayfar1444.com, port 7777. If you're new to text games, I suggest MUSHclient; it's probably the best option for PC.

Features
-Mine resources and craft dozens of different buildings with various functions
-Use those resources to craft literally hundreds of different kinds of equipment, from weapons to tools to food, with varying quality levels and performance based on the quality of the materials you use
-Build customizeable spacecraft, fight pirates (and each other), fly to other planets and solar systems
-Build all kinds of turrets, bunkers, and defences to guard your colony against attackers
-Construct all sorts of ground vehicles and aircraft to drive/fly around being a jerk, then load them into your spaceship for road trips!
-Fire thermonuclear missiles at other player's colonies
-Hack and steal people's starships, vehicles, and aircrafts, then chop them up for parts or just plain use them on your own
-Build your own stargates to jump to new, unconnected systems!
-Construct a huge nerd farm with automated resource collection structures and automated factories so you can quickly produce dozens of components and items
-Mine asteroids and hoover up gas clouds for high quality materials
-Make your own space stations!
-Create your own corporations/armies/collectives/:spergin:-hordes easily and quickly
-Craft your own robot army!
-Heavily customize your character with any of dozens of different skills, and refund them at any time to get 75% of the skill points back to use on other skills as needed
-Progression: complete background objectives for your char and reroll to recieve improved experience caps, access to unique background skills, and implant slots
-Explore planets and get paid for it, while finding new resources and strange trinkets
-Raid pirate bases on moons for procedurally generated loot
-Earn custom titles that show up in the user list based on your actions and skills
-Become a ~star trader~ and transfer cargo between different colonies and planets to make money

It might be worth checking out a newbie guide written by a player named Vanity.

And now for some questions that are probably going to be commonly asked!

I typed "kill thing" but nothing's happening?
Wayfar's combat system is slightly different than Hellmoo. After you target an enemy, you then must use the attack command on your actual equipment-- eg, for example, fire for a pistol, or slash for a machete. You can examine an item to see the exact commands! This will consume varying amounts of attack dice depending on what you're doing.

How do I manage my ever-growing piles of parts and resources?

There are a number of ways to do this, but the easiest is probably just to make shipping containers on the basic crafting tool. They require 8 inert metal (which can be found easily anywhere), hold up to 500 items (or 500kg of items) and can be labelled as needed. You could also build warehouses to store your stuff in!

I forgot where I parked my space ship.

No problem, type owned, and it shows you every building and vehicle that you control and where it is. Something not where it's supposed to be? Mabye someone stole it! This is also useful if you're exploring a planet and get lost. You can likewise use "corp owned" to see everything that's been transferred to your organization's auspices.

Where can I find a specific resource?

Certain resources only show up in certain biomes-- you can see what's in an area with your harvesting tools. You may need to craft slightly more advanced ones to harvest certain things! Every resource also has a specific line in the room description as well, so you can tell what's around at a quick glance once you learn them. Generally speaking, metallic stuff is found in mountainous and rocky terrain, while biological things tend to be found in plains and forests and so forth.

Assholes keep destroying my buildings!

Invest more in defences or move offplanet. I didn't move two systems away from the starting planets just for the view. B)

Assholes from other planets keep destroying my buildings!
welp B)

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
[On the holoscreen]The following film: dubslip montage, has been rated poo poo
and should not be watched by anyone.
[On the holoscreen]Slick editing and a wicked awesome text explosion inform
you that you are about to witness a 10 hour dubstep montage of Broseidon
falling down stairs. awesome
[On the holoscreen]The camera zooms in slowly on Broseidon, he's carrying a
tray full of beverages.
[On the holoscreen]Broseidon slowly and carefully takes a step down the
staircase as the background music continues to build dramatically.
[On the holoscreen]Broseidon spills a little bit ot tea as he almost loses his
footing.
[On the holoscreen]The music continues to intensify as the camera slowly pans
around Broseidons giant ham feet.
[On the holoscreen]OH poo poo, DROP THE BASS!
[On the holoscreen]wwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWUUUuuBBBBROSEIDON SLIPS!
[On the holoscreen]bbbBBBWWWOOOOoowwWW WAHAHAHAHA brrrRRRoseidon is catapulted
down the stairs at an alarming speed, tea is everywhere.
[On the holoscreen]Broseidon lands on his neck WUWWWWWWWWUBBBBWUB.
[On the
holoscreen]WWWAAAAAAWHWHWHAAHAHAWAWABRRRRRRWUBBBuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuBroseidons
face is a contorted mess of pain as his shoulder pops out of it's socket.
[On the holoscreen]A stray tea cup slams into broseidons face
wwwUUBBBWUBBbbbbWUBWub.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here is an example of how crafting works. For this we will use the basic crafting tool, which all players start with. First up, we type "list basic" to see what's on the tool.

======================basic crafting tool blueprints=======================
======
[ Category: melee weapon ] insta-meat soup
colonial machete [ Category: component ]
wilder javelin weak power emitter
[ Category: ranged weapon ] inert casing
colonial rifle inert block
[ Category: harvesting tool ] medium power emitter
cheap orgo-reaper inert wiring
atmo-thrasher condenser [ Category: ammunition ]
q-osmose energy collector inert slug clip
[ Category: special weapon ] [ Category: container ]
terrain surveyor fiber backpack
[ Category: armor ] shipping container
hide armor [ Category: pre-fab kit ]
[ Category: tool ] pre-fab shelter kit
equipment crafting tool [ Category: product ]
structure crafting tool wooden fishing rig
micro-bot crafting tool furb@home health injector
defensive crafting tool fungal salve
chemistry tool fibrous bandage
food processor primitive bandage
maker block sign
cooking fire colonial assembly datapad
[ Category: food ]

Quite a lot of stuff, huh? Let's make some insta-meat soup for now. First off, let's see what we need to make it. First off, we type "view insta-meat soup on basic". This displays the following information:

insta-meat soup
A warm cup of hydrated insta-meat soup, comes as a sachet of freeze-dried
protein powder or made straight from any protein source, easily manufactured
and fairly satisfying. Complex-issued sachets come with large quantities of
preservatives to allow them to keep just about forever.

Durability: [||||||||||] [ 10/10 ]

Requirements for insta-meat soup
* Requires unpurified water x3 (0) -- 40% of project quality
* Requires wild meat x1 (2) -- 60% of project quality
Total complexity for this project: 8.0

Durability is pretty straightforwards-- it's how tough something is. Below that are the requirements to construct it, along with showing how each component applies to the final quality of the item. This isn't so important when making a cheap meal, but if you're making a badass star dreadnought or some powered armor, you better believe you want the highest quality materials you can find or make.

Next is the total complexity, which basically governs how difficult it is to create whatever you're crafting, as well as how long it will take. Your skills will affect this. Regardless, as this is meant for making a quick meal for newbies, the complexity is super low and anyone can do it even with no skils.

Okay, so. To make this, we need three units of unpurified water and a wild meat. We already have two wild meats, which were from some wildlife I killed earlier, but we need some water to proceed. Let's go find some!

After a few seconds of wandering around outside, we arrive in this square. I've censored the exact location because I'd rather not have you felonious jerks overrunning my colony like army ants :shobon:. Likewise I've cut out the map since it doesn't really display properly on a forum.

rocky ridge [X: xx Y: xx on classified location]
mountain biome
weather: high clouds
.Where the ground has eroded metallic needle structures are exposed.
The ground is hard and rocky.
Where the ground has eroded, inert metal is exposed.
There is a puddle of water here.
Where the ground has eroded, gray-brown ores can be spotted.

Looks like we found a place with some water! And also some other things as well, but those arn't important for the purposes of making the soup. Time to collect the resources. For this, we need the proper tool to snag the water-- fortunately, any new player spawns with some basic equipment, including the perfect tool for this job.

wield atmo
Lancer goes for his atmo-thrasher condenser.
Lancer wields his atmo-thrasher condenser.
look atmo

atmo-thrasher condenser
A small, transparent canteen-shaped object designed to siphon water from the
air trapped inside of it. The 'spout' serves multiple functions. Primarily it
intakes and pressurizes collected air while releasing moistureless gas, but
it doubles as a miniature fabricator. By taking the physical impurities in
the air and reorganizing them on a molecular scale, the condenser forms its
own ultra-thin transparent bladders to store condensed moisture. WARNING:
Only physical impurities are removed from water. Biological hazards may still
be present.

Durability: [||||||||||] [ 25/25 ]
Module capacity: 50/50
The atmo-thrasher condenser has no modules installed.
This tool can harvest unpurified water.
This tool is not currently configured to harvest a specific resource.
The atmo-thrasher condenser takes 5.0 seconds to harvest one unit of a resource and 10.0 seconds to perform a survey.
[ You can HARVEST with this tool, after you WIELD it. ]

All harvesting tools work pretty much the same way, no matter what they harvest. You can craft more advanced tools to gather stuff faster, but I don't really bother since it's not like I need a ton of water all that often.

Anyways, after you get your condenser equipped, it's time to snag some water.

harvest
You start harvesting with the atmo-thrasher condenser.
Lancer harvests an unpurified water.

Okay, we got the water we need. Let's stop harvesting and make that soup.

craft insta-meat on basic
insta-meat soup
A warm cup of hydrated insta-meat soup, comes as a sachet of freeze-dried
protein powder or made straight from any protein source, easily manufactured
and fairly satisfying. Complex-issued sachets come with large quantities of
preservatives to allow them to keep just about forever.

Requirements for insta-meat soup
* Requires unpurified water x3 (6) -- 40% of project quality
* Requires wild meat x1 (2) -- 60% of project quality
Total complexity for this project: 8.0
3x unpurified water added to the project on the basic crafting tool.
1x wild meat added to the project on the basic crafting tool.
Crafting tool ready to START. All materials and/or components have been added to the basic crafting tool.
Lancer activates a basic crafting tool.
Lancer adjusts a basic crafting tool.
Lancer watches a basic crafting tool closely as it begins a production stage.
Lancer watches a basic crafting tool closely as it begins a production stage.
Lancer completes the insta-meat soup project on the basic crafting tool.
You receive the insta-meat soup from the basic crafting tool.
The insta-meat soup you produced has a final quality of 43.

"Final quality" is an average of all the materials and components you put into the item you're crafting. The higher it is, the better it is, typically.
eat insta
You start eating the insta-meat soup.
Lancer eats some of his insta-meat soup.
Lancer finishes his insta-meat soup.

Yum, tasty. Kind of. Let's see what eating that soup did for me:

st
[ Status: Lancer ]
[ Outlaw Rating: 10 ]

[ Health: [|||||||||||||||||||||| ] [ 62/72 ] ]
[ Hunger: [| ] [ 3/20 ] ]
[ Thirst: [ ] [ 0/20 ] ]

[ stamina dice: [|||||||||||||| ] [ 20/21 ] ] regen: 3-6
[ aggression dice: [|||||||||||||| ] [ 25/26 ] ] regen: 3-6
[ clarity dice: [|||||||||||||| ] [ 22/23 ] ] regen: 3-6

Effects:
nourishment - Nourished: 2+ all dice, +4 max hp, periodic dice recovery
[ Defense: 6 ]
[ Dodge: -4 - 0 ]

You have 260457 credits and 0/3500 skillpoints (3500 spent).

Eating and drinking stuff isn't neccesary, but as you can see, doing so temporarily boosts your dice pools and HP, so it's definitely something you should consider if you fight a lot.

The other things on this screen are mostly self-explanatory. Outlaw rating basically is how bad a jerk you've been on whatever planet you're on at the moment. I am unsure if it does anything other than bragging rights at the moment. The dice pools are what are consumed during combat (both personal, and when fighting from a vehicle/aircraft/spacecraft), and regen over time.

This concludes the basic demonstration of Wayfar's crafting system. Thanks for reading all my :words:!

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I remember trying this once a couple years ago when they were advertising it on one of the hellgames' login. There wasn't a lot of documentation back then so it was hard to get into. Thanks for the informative posts, I'll have to take a look again.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This sounds a lot like cataclysm: dda. Which would be bad for me and my free time. I guess what I'm wondering is, does the game really have mechanics in place to actually drive a player economy/shipping industries/piracy/ect. or are those things just sort of RP. Because all of this sounds incredible but I'm coming from a multiplayer background of games like Rust and Planetside, so perhaps I'm envisioning this game as something more than it really is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dylguy90 posted:

This sounds a lot like cataclysm: dda. Which would be bad for me and my free time. I guess what I'm wondering is, does the game really have mechanics in place to actually drive a player economy/shipping industries/piracy/ect. or are those things just sort of RP. Because all of this sounds incredible but I'm coming from a multiplayer background of games like Rust and Planetside, so perhaps I'm envisioning this game as something more than it really is.

There's no reason to trade for anything when you can just get it yourself

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

There's no reason to trade for anything when you can just get it yourself

While this is technically true, even if your skill point total is maxed out, it is not possible to make super quality stuff and be a great fightmans at the same time.

Also I am primarily talking about economic center crates here!

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last time I played I got kind of frustrated with trying to remember which crafting item I had to use the words "on" and "with" for them to work. Other than that I had fun with it. I set a goal to build a laser turret bunker(?) and managed to do it. I was hoping to get revenge on those drat duksy prowlers.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh my god figuring out the datapad used with and not on took me a good ten minutes last night. This game is fun though - can we start a goon colony somewhere? Also, does anyone know how to batch up like 10 of something or do I really need to make those weak power emitters all individually?

Yeah my first death was also to a dusky prowler as well, I will adorn my lair with their skulls.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just ordered a tv off of the terminal store. There is a channel that generates random Star Trek episodes. rofl

Edit:

quote:

The greater bugbear spider emerges from the terrain.
The greater bugbear spider starts gathering debris to build a bugbear spider lair.
The greater bugbear spider completes a bugbear spider lair and settles in.

Well, uhh... Hello there neighbor.

Edit 2: Can't leave the pre-fab house. :(

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 22, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dylguy90 posted:

Oh my god figuring out the datapad used with and not on took me a good ten minutes last night. This game is fun though - can we start a goon colony somewhere? Also, does anyone know how to batch up like 10 of something or do I really need to make those weak power emitters all individually?

Yeah my first death was also to a dusky prowler as well, I will adorn my lair with their skulls.

Check out the engineering tool, it has blueprints for auto assemblers. I think there is also a pref to automatically keep crafting till you are out of mats. Type prefs and poke around.

To leave your house type exit.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

To leave your house type exit.

The greater bugbear spider was camping my pre-fab house. I'll log in this morning and see if he has wondered off. Now I'm definitely building turrets.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I keep meaning to play and forget. I'm a bad player. :(

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
From outside: The T-102 battle tank (wz-77419)'s main turret swivels to face a faction headquarters, and remains pointed at the faction headquarters, tracking it's every move!
Lancer configures the targeting equipment and prepares a shell to fire at a faction headquarters!
[ HIT ROLL ]: clarity: [|||||||||||||||||||||||||****] -4 (25 / 29)
[ DAM ROLL ]: aggression: [|||||||||||||****** ] -6 (13 / 34 )
Lancer's 55mm shell impact shot hits the faction headquarters for 96 damage!

bam bam someone's HQ is under siege~

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Hey guys, glad to see people checking this out. Troika asked me to post here and I totally forgot, but I figured I'd put a few screenshots up. I'm a little busy currently but Wayfar is a long term project that has been going for like 4 years now, so I'm hoping to expand on the game a fair amount in the future.

Map & a little combat:

Space:

Crafting:

edit: Almost forgot the most important thing. The movie poster generator on a website. Refresh for a new one: http://wayfar1444.com/index.php?page=display_item&item=70689

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
does this one have sickening cybersex that will get me addicted to irc filth in tyool 2010 ??

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lancer's terrorsaw shrieks and spits sparks as he arcs it towards a laboratory!
[ HIT ROLL ]: aggression: [|||||||||||||||||||||||||||**] -2 (27 / 29)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: stamina: [|||||||||||||||||||***** ] -5 (19 / 15)
You did 24 sharp damage to laboratory.
The defense walker (xi-59521) fires upon a laboratory with its chaingun!
The defense walker (xi-59521) lands a successful attack on a laboratory!

I made a new robot minion. It has a pretty big gun!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

bluewedge posted:

does this one have sickening cybersex that will get me addicted to irc filth in tyool 2010 ??

All of the cyber sex is emergent

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There is no sex mechanic coded at all in this game, that's all a hellmoo thing. Literally every spaceship is dick shaped, though!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I updated the OP with a link to a newbie guide someone apparently wrote at some point.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I played for most of a day yesterday, figuring out poo poo and rapidly assembling all the tools I could construct. Claimed a number of deserted buildings to bootstrap my way into automated resource collection but I hit a plateau where I hit my goal of getting familiar with crafting and I was kind of spinning through the lists of craftable items trying to figure out what to do next. I guess the next step is refinement into spaceship construction.

Oorrr I could learn Hacking and try to get into this Scout that has been sitting nearby. Guess we'll see if it's still there when I return.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Planetary exploration may seem boring and pointless, but aside from providing easy money, you sometimes find neat things. Like hackable items which reward money or program chips, and all sorts of wierd poo poo that you can research in your lab. Like, say, this thing:

supple sheet
This medium pre-starfarer relic is a thin, flexible sheet and is very supple
and flexible.
The supple sheet modifies stamina max bonus by 3.
The supple sheet modifies clarity max bonus by 3.
The supple sheet modifies max hp bonus by 4.
The supple sheet modifies aggression regen bonus by 1.

It fits in my gadget slot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna play this game but I never get an email when I try to make my account or whatever. Anybody have any luck with gmail?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Gmail works fine for me. Check your spam folder.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

-Troika- posted:

Gmail works fine for me. Check your spam folder.

Yea its empty man

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Try a different one then? You only need your email address if you completely forget your password in the first place.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

I wanna play this game but I never get an email when I try to make my account or whatever. Anybody have any luck with gmail?

If you send an email to admin@wayfar1444.com with your account name I'll set you up. Email should be working though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some tools have hidden recipes you can make! To see if yours does, type "improvise with toolname", then to try to make it, "improvise thing with toolname" It'll tell you what you need to do so.

Lancer begins an improvisation of a cricket bat.
[|||*** ] You decide to include a native fiber to your improvisation attempt.
[|||||*** ] You examine a native fiber in great detail, learning its properties.
[||||||||*** ] You handle an obscure lumber, considering how it will help your improvisation attempt.
[||||||||||*** ] You examine a native lumber in great detail, learning its properties.
[|||||||||||||***] You handle a native lumber, considering how it will help your improvisation attempt.
You finish improvising and produce a cricket bat.
The cricket bat you produced has a final quality of 45.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This looks pretty good, might have to try it out. Is there any sort of cooperation between goons, or is it every man for himself?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's very much every man for himself at the moment, the game has a miniscule playerbase (which is why I started this thread).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can I get my Captain Kirk on with some alien wildlife in this game, or did they not port the sex from hellmoo

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There are no sex mechanics in this game at all. Pretty sure there are no blinds either!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just as a heads up: exo suits protect you from a lot of poo poo, but lasers are not one of them.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
How do you hack stuff?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You need a few things: the appropriate skills, a smartpad of some kind (the central complex has one of the basic ones) and program chips. The aforementioned basic smartpad comes with one program, but you have to find the others out in the field-- every now and then you'll find an exposed mini-node which will have one inside.

Program chips deteriorate with use, so you can't use the same one forever. Hack wisely!

I strongly recommend ignoring cred-vaults and the usual random hackable trash you pick up while exploring. They do not give rewards worth burning your program chips. Save your hacking for people's starships, and for the locked doors in pirate bases.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

-Troika- posted:

You need a few things: the appropriate skills, a smartpad of some kind (the central complex has one of the basic ones) and program chips. The aforementioned basic smartpad comes with one program, but you have to find the others out in the field-- every now and then you'll find an exposed mini-node which will have one inside.

Program chips deteriorate with use, so you can't use the same one forever. Hack wisely!

I strongly recommend ignoring cred-vaults and the usual random hackable trash you pick up while exploring. They do not give rewards worth burning your program chips. Save your hacking for people's starships, and for the locked doors in pirate bases.

What are the commands? The Documentation for this mud is pretty bad.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I played this maybe a year ago and got pretty into it - crafted my own space ship at a point! It was great. Probably gonna try it out again tonight. Thanks for the reminder that it exists. I am super excited to see what new stuff has been put in since then.

We should definitely do a goon colony - this game really rewards teamwork.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'm super down for a goon colony but don't really know how to set one up. If someone takes the initiative to get one started I'll help out however I can!

HipBEE
Apr 27, 2014
I used to play this and most of my poo poo looks like its still around, I'd be totes down to playing again and sharing with you guys. also the corp I was in was inactive so I guess I'm in charge of it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElBrak posted:

What are the commands? The Documentation for this mud is pretty bad.

Equip a corporate indy-link (or whatever you're using) and type hack. It should be obvious from there.

• Locked thread