Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tef posted:

𝔶𝔬𝔰𝔭𝔬𝔰 𝔟𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

tef posted:

𝔶𝔬𝔰𝔭𝔬𝔰 𝔟𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥

good to see you posting but, i'm sorry: it's still against the rules to sign your posts.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yes but is it against the rules to sign someone else's posts

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

yes but is it against the rules to sign someone else's posts

only if you sign with your private key :rimshot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is a great idea and will surely usher in an era of amazing thread titles

*entire page is emoji*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

zen death robot posted:

do you do anything besides whine and complain

my posts are both insightful and informative, as my slashdot karma will attest

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

im looking into this because i really dont get why unicode doesn't work in thread titles anyways

tef posted:

because instead of sending back utf-8, you're sending back latin-1

because instead of storing the unicode as is, it gets converted into html entities (which seems to break some(?) combining characters)

and then because you escape the html entities

well. sort of. it says its latin-1 but irl its windows-1252 :ssh:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

zen death robot posted:

do you do anything besides whine and complain

no

this is a good talk on unicode and the pain and suffering you will encounter http://nedbatchelder.com/text/unipain.html but you have a special problem in that you have a legacy system and fixing unicode will likely be suffering.

here's my dr house guess:

- it looks that things outside of ascii are normalized into html entities to hack in unicode support
- i am guessing this is done before the title is written to the database
- the forum posts work because the bbcode handler knows & so the title is probably using a different parser
- the titles are likely just plain old html escaped, which is probably to strip any <> &; "' symbols
- thus &123; becomes &123;

you can probably fix this by translating &nnn; back into characters, html escaping it, and then putting the &nnn;s back in

bonus "pretend this is in CoC" reply with more unsolicited advice

life is easier if you and uh returning utf-8 rather than doing this weird &nnn; escaping. so you might want to move towards

- store utf-8 inside your database (utf8_mb4 if you're using mysql, and then there's the collation type :sigh:)
- with utf-8 in the database, you can do the &nnn; translation on rendering, not posting
- you could probably do a trick with a second post_text_unicode column, write to both, and use the new column if present, and backfill
- then you can write html out in utf-8 not windows-1252

but honestly it's easier to keep kluding, you could just put a final thing on that translates the 1252 page and the &nnnns; back into utf-8

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Virion posted:

and you can just close the tab and reopen it apparently which is lol as gently caress for all the nagging they do

this did not work for me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

zen death robot posted:

im looking into this because i really dont get why unicode doesn't work in thread titles anyways
🇹 🇭 🇦 🇳 🇰 🇸 ❗

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

tef posted:

no

this is a good talk on unicode and the pain and suffering you will encounter http://nedbatchelder.com/text/unipain.html but you have a special problem in that you have a legacy system and fixing unicode will likely be suffering.

here's my dr house guess:

- it looks that things outside of ascii are normalized into html entities to hack in unicode support
- i am guessing this is done before the title is written to the database
- the forum posts work because the bbcode handler knows & so the title is probably using a different parser
- the titles are likely just plain old html escaped, which is probably to strip any <> &; "' symbols
- thus &123; becomes &123;

you can probably fix this by translating &nnn; back into characters, html escaping it, and then putting the &nnn;s back in

bonus "pretend this is in CoC" reply with more unsolicited advice

life is easier if you and uh returning utf-8 rather than doing this weird &nnn; escaping. so you might want to move towards

- store utf-8 inside your database (utf8_mb4 if you're using mysql, and then there's the collation type :sigh:)
- with utf-8 in the database, you can do the &nnn; translation on rendering, not posting
- you could probably do a trick with a second post_text_unicode column, write to both, and use the new column if present, and backfill
- then you can write html out in utf-8 not windows-1252

but honestly it's easier to keep kluding, you could just put a final thing on that translates the 1252 page and the &nnnns; back into utf-8

is there anything about computers that doesn't loving suck

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

is there anything about computers that doesn't loving suck
teledildonics which itself is a shame because it's the one thing that should

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my amazing suggestion is not to bother with this op. just give the code a quick glance over to see if its something trivial. if not, put it at lowest priority. this is something that someone that doesnt care about their time can fix

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
what happened to unicode in av text?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
//TODO: Add unicode (aka utf-8) support.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hackbunny posted:

what happened to unicode in av text?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

lots of people have mojibake lately

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hackbunny posted:

lots of people have mojibake lately
dollars to doughnuts theyre using internet exploder

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i only remember noticing it on someone whose av text used to work fine and mentioned having changed their av and copying the old text

could be some new problem in the way the forum saves it that used to work, but maybe it's a problem on the user end lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

jony ive aces posted:

i only remember noticing it on someone whose av text used to work fine and mentioned having changed their av and copying the old text

could be some new problem in the way the forum saves it that used to work, but maybe it's a problem on the user end lol

Yeah it's a recent thing when the secfuck thread got a new gangtag for the couple mojibaked ones I've seen

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

//TODO: Add unicode (aka utf-8) support.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

teledildonics which itself is a shame because it's the one thing that should

heyoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
tbh i thought that was a low effort whitenoise post but i'm glad you enjoyed it :tipshat:

• Locked thread