Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alabaster White posted:

The Japanese version tries its hardest to make it into an actual game. Stat bonuses accumulate within a normal human lifespan, bosses give MP max bonuses so you can actually cast spells, and they even added an ending!

The Japanese players actually got an ending? Did they get a story too? Even as a kid that game mad no drat sense to me. "Hey, go find your dad" Wait no, bandits! Oh, get a load of this magic book! EVIL QUEEN and then suddenly you're fighting a purple moth demon in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Inzombiac posted:

Quest is such a joke of a game that I tried so hard to love.

I got it for my birthday when I was younger, and it was one of the only games I had at the time, so I beat it. I hated every second of it, yet I just kept playing and wanting to see if it ever got better. It didn't.

Now I have like 600 games on Steam and can't decide which one to play, and not one of those games cost as much as Quest 64.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Am I high or is the protagonist of Quest 64 really called Brian?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Aphrodite posted:

In FF7 you could just use an autofire controller and the swamp, the snake always swims at you itself.

Good point, but you are nowhere near strong enough to defeat the Zoloms at that point in the game, especially not with just basic attacks and limit breaks. You need to grind/cheese a little first, to get to a point where you can consistently beat them

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Adequate posted:

Am I high or is the protagonist of Quest 64 really called Brian?

Makes me want to make an epic RPG spanning a whole galaxy and the protagonist is named Steven.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Makes me want to make an epic RPG spanning a whole galaxy and the protagonist is named Steven.

It's funny though: I've never played an RPG where the player character wasn't called PENUS.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's funny though: I've never played an RPG where the player character wasn't called PENUS.

Fallout 4 let's you name yourself Fuckface and Codsworth, your fancy robot butler will say your name at every opportunity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Fallout 4 let's you name yourself Fuckface and Codsworth, your fancy robot butler will say your name at every opportunity.

Can't wait for Fallout 4 GOATS Edition to come out for me to buy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, that was pretty great - they made a list of like 300+ names Codsworth would recognize, and Fuckface is prominently among them. There were some other good ones in there too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My second (BECAUSE OF COURSE THE FIRST WAS MY OWN DUMB NAME) was CherryBomb and was a great Punch-Lady that Codsworth totally had a crush on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

theshim posted:

Yeah, that was pretty great - they made a list of like 300+ names Codsworth would recognize, and Fuckface is prominently among them. There were some other good ones in there too.

Most reasonably funny curse words are. Fallout 4 is in a weird spot because a lot of it is really, really well done especially the world design and audio. But then the actual game falls flat since the story is kind of poo poo and almost every quest is just "walk into place, shoot every dude" with no other alternatives and even cool areas like the racetrack and fighting ring just have everyone inside psychically turn hostile if you step near.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
My favorite broken thing was in a NES game called Ultima: Exodus.

The game had a lot of problems (characters only got XP for things they killed, monsters scaled to the highest character in your group, very little direction is given to what you are actually supposed to do, some classes are objectively worse than any other class), but the main problem with the game was its total lack of useful descriptions for the classes or magic spells. Not even the strategy guide that came out at the time actually explained any of that.

Which is probably good, because the Wizards could eventually get two spells that if used in combination would win any battle. "Rot" would reduce every enemy in battle to 1hp, and would work 100% of the time. "Poison" would hit all enemies for greater than 1hp, 100% of the time. So long as you didn't somehow run out of MP between battles, you were essentially undefeatable as soon as you powered up a couple Wizards to use them, and you could steamroll the rest of the game so hard that would could ignore a big chunk of the main quest which would grant you weapons that were usable in the final castle or whatever that was.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Atmus posted:

My favorite broken thing was in a NES game called Ultima: Exodus.

Even better is that 1. you don't level up unless you talk to the king, 2. all enemies at level two can be killed with free to cast spells, and 3. you can make enough characters for two parties. You can grind as long as you want with no threat to the party, talk to the king to level up to I think 5 so pirate ships appear, steal a boat, then switch back to a level 1 party to never be threatened again. Once you find the place to buy all your stat points, you can min/max to your heart's content and beat the game at level 1.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm playing through Witcher 3 on PC for the first time - as opposed to playing it on console like I normally do - just to see how big a jerk I can make Geralt. I get to White Orchard, the starter town and, knowing that good healing items are hard to come by at this point in the game, naturally I start setting fire to everyone's cows and looting meat and milk from them which I can use to heal.

What I didn't know is that there used to be an exploit where you could kill the cows and sell their stuff and make huge amounts of money. So the game developers decided that the best way to deal with this was to create a cow protector which would spawn and kill your arse dead if you hurt too many cows. This creature, the Chort, is the size of an elephant and can kill a new game character in one swipe.

A very effective way to stop players exploiting merchants. But there's one fundamental flaw - it doesn't despawn afterwards.

So now I have this giant, nigh unkillable monster running around the starting town - where all my quests are - causing havoc and smacking people through the air. Thankfully civilians are immortal so I'm not having any quests ruined. But it also means I can't visit any of the merchants or pubs because this giant bloody monster chases me through town making everyone panic and run in circles.

Here's a video of someone doing it deliberately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiWW_ouolk&t=64s

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

DrHolmesPhD posted:

Even better is that 1. you don't level up unless you talk to the king, 2. all enemies at level two can be killed with free to cast spells, and 3. you can make enough characters for two parties. You can grind as long as you want with no threat to the party, talk to the king to level up to I think 5 so pirate ships appear, steal a boat, then switch back to a level 1 party to never be threatened again. Once you find the place to buy all your stat points, you can min/max to your heart's content and beat the game at level 1.

Yes, and the only benefit for leveling up is increased HP. Assuming your party is like 3 wizards and a cleric, you can go rob the poo poo out of Death Gulch or whatever the town is with all the treasure chests as the cleric can open the chests safely and the wizards will annihilate the guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm playing through Witcher 3 on PC for the first time - as opposed to playing it on console like I normally do - just to see how big a jerk I can make Geralt. I get to White Orchard, the starter town and, knowing that good healing items are hard to come by at this point in the game, naturally I start setting fire to everyone's cows and looting meat and milk from them which I can use to heal.

What I didn't know is that there used to be an exploit where you could kill the cows and sell their stuff and make huge amounts of money. So the game developers decided that the best way to deal with this was to create a cow protector which would spawn and kill your arse dead if you hurt too many cows. This creature, the Chort, is the size of an elephant and can kill a new game character in one swipe.

A very effective way to stop players exploiting merchants. But there's one fundamental flaw - it doesn't despawn afterwards.

So now I have this giant, nigh unkillable monster running around the starting town - where all my quests are - causing havoc and smacking people through the air. Thankfully civilians are immortal so I'm not having any quests ruined. But it also means I can't visit any of the merchants or pubs because this giant bloody monster chases me through town making everyone panic and run in circles.

Here's a video of someone doing it deliberately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiWW_ouolk&t=64s

Also ironically the Chort is a really good high level farming spot since its drops are very valuable and it instantly respawns.

By the way most civilians are definitely not immortal, but they do respawn.

• Locked thread