Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And that's a wrap. Bye Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I was paying for waypoint plus, I realize a lot of the reason I was paying for it is Austin. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt but I think the content is going to drop off a cliff. That and nextlander being a kinda bland podcast I’m surprised I’ve been most interested in the Giantbomb stuff more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Waypoint pretty regularly had episodes without Austin already but it definitely feels different with it being permanent

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I saw this story and thought of Important If True. :smith:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/robot-dogs-bark-out-lockdown-orders-in-shanghai-lgm9mq0qv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARW3apy0Ql0

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

We still have a slack channel called #important-news and fill it with stories just to entertain ourselves. I have added this, thank you.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I miss that and Thumbs. And the guy above me.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

it was my favorite news source about people unsuccessfully buying pizza hut lamps

if you stopped listening to waypoint after Austin left they recently (6 weeks ago maybe) hired Renata Price and she is exceptional and fits in so well. worth a check back in.

Also they have natalie again too but she's not been on much lately

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sankis posted:

it was my favorite news source about people unsuccessfully buying pizza hut lamps

if you stopped listening to waypoint after Austin left they recently (6 weeks ago maybe) hired Renata Price and she is exceptional and fits in so well. worth a check back in.

Also they have natalie again too but she's not been on much lately

Ren feels like exactly what the pod was missing tbh

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ren feels like exactly what the pod was missing tbh

I love how she brings out the trash goblin in Patrick as well. Their recent podcast where they got Rob to drive them to IKEA had me in stitches.

"Notorious misogynist Ricardo Contrerez" indeed.

Like, she's a lot, but I'm on board for now at least.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Ren's great, but I could go for slightly fewer teeth nightmare / hyper-flexibility injury horror stories.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
Dammit if Ren didn't make me wonder if I should play Halo 5 someday.

Emphasis on someday.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Do not. I played it for the first time last year after the MCC spurred me on. Easily one of the dullest, bullet spongiest shooters I've ever tried. It singlehandedly put me off of jumping into Infinity after a really solid string of games (plus 4).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Things Dan learned on the last firecast:
-Milk is not dairy
-Chickens don't put out milk
-A feather is not fur

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Milk is not dairy? What?

Also, nothing like an ice cold glass of chicken milk.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The word milk doesn't necessarily refer to dairy, what with all the nut and grain milks they sell.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Oh well yeah, of course. The word “milk” by itself generally refers to cow’s milk, unless otherwise specified.

Or at least, mammalian milk.

I’m loving this tangent. Let’s talk about colostrum!

Who needs podcasts?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Dan Ryckert continues to be the luckiest man on earth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A secondary definition of milk is a creamy textured liquid with a specific ingredient, like milk of magnesia.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Not even creamy, just white-ish.

Plant saps (or other plant liquids) are often called milks.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I will not be tricked into agreeing with Dan Ryckert about something.

No more milk talk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Things Dan learned on the last firecast:

-Chickens don't put out milk

Then what's the white stuff I been drinking out my rooster then smart guy

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but Giant Bummer...

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-news/1100-6230/

quote:

Giant Bomb and Jeff Gerstmann have agreed to go our separate ways.

Hopefully he ends up at Nextlander?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Unless they're all great actors, he's not ending up at Nextlander. It sounded like they heard about this same time as everyone else while streaming earlier.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weird

https://twitter.com/MerryKish/status/1533901884158668802

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Who is even at Giant Bomb anymore?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WrightOfWay posted:

Uh.. VB, Jason, Jan..Rory?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I do like Other Jeff.

And our forum's own voidburger was a recent addition.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh.. VB, Jason, Jan..Rory?

This makes me feel old. That's a whole generation of people I don't recognise. Was Jeff the last member of the original crew to be there for a while now?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jippa posted:

This makes me feel old. That's a whole generation of people I don't recognise. Was Jeff the last member of the original crew to be there for a while now?

Ever since Alex, Vinny, and Brad left to form Nextlander, yeah. That was roughly a year ago to the week.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dan is back as creative director so if you're into his particular brand of weird bullshit you're in luck.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I missed the first 25 minutes or so of Gerstmann's stream, but looks like he's just independent now:

https://www.patreon.com/jeffgerstmann

I caught a little bit of him saying people will be asking for "the true story". Departure seems a bit weird so far, and it seems his "last day" at GB was officially yesterday so I'm guessing he's just abruptly off the podcast.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

My gut feeling is the new management didn't like the way GB has gone the last year and Gerstmann didn't have the wherewithal to fight whatever changes they wanted to see, so he just left. I'm guessing hes under some agreement that bars him from talking about why he left GB.

Seemed like Jeff wanted GB to be more about pop culture stuff and less about video games. The new video that came from GB today specifically mentioned more video game coverage.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
But Jeff's new thing is 100% games and he mentions being sick of doing all the stuff besides talking about games. That's nothing new for him, he was complaining about that years ago, like 2 corporate takeover earlier.

This reads like he was fired on short notice, maybe after he told management he was looking to do something else and they immediately moved on it instead of giving him a couple of months.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just go do podcasts and stream my guy. I like some of the new stuff on Giantbomb but it ain’t what it used to be. I never really liked Dan Ryckert so it may be time to move on too.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Samopsa posted:

But Jeff's new thing is 100% games and he mentions being sick of doing all the stuff besides talking about games. That's nothing new for him, he was complaining about that years ago, like 2 corporate takeover earlier.

This reads like he was fired on short notice, maybe after he told management he was looking to do something else and they immediately moved on it instead of giving him a couple of months.

Ah okay I haven't seen his stream, but that also makes sense. At this point all I know is that I know nothing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Samopsa posted:

This feels correct to me. Like it feels like Gerstmann himself was caught off-guard and is scrambling to get some revenue set up.

I'm currently listening to today's Bombcast and it's a bit surreal how chipper everyone is, and how it's all about how they don't need Gerstmann to keep the site going. And they've roped in people I do like.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s just people being hype for a little change till their corporate overlords grind them to dust. It sounds like they’re just going to a more streaming revenue model and gutting their premium stuff. I have no idea how that’s gonna work when you’re paying a bunch of people a lot of money for niche shows.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'll give them a chance, but Nextlander & Gerst's podcast will be the first two I listen to every week.

I did lol at the "Giant Bomb is not a person" stuff on the podcast. Yeah, you're right.. it was 4 people who are all gone. Getting Grub onboard was a good move, Dan not so much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dan owns. He's like the one person who was at GB in the last decade who actually pushed to do new and interesting stuff instead of just talking over gameplay a handful of times a week. You can like his sense of humor or not, whatever, but you can't deny he's one of the best (or at least most motivated) creatives in the business right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I am definitely entertained by Dan's cluelessness shtick. I felt like my prayers were answered when he moved to Giant Bomb East and got to listen to Vinny's scandalised incredulity.

It's been weird hearing a 30-something manchild finally grow up over the years.