Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea, I’m not sure where they even go now. All the games journalist websites have vanished. I’m sure they’ll be fine I just want to listen to them talk about stuff every week. They actually had meaningful conversations about the terrible stuff around the industry which other games podcasts don’t have cause it’s mostly old white guys.

Yea. While there are some podcasts that do engage with it on more than just a surface level (ie saying this poo poo sucks, and then moving on to the next topic), it's very rare to see a combination of that + being in a position where they can afford to do the investigative legwork to try to get the full story too. It's a drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hope they make a go at a Patreon. I pay for Nextlander.

I didn't subscribe to Gerstmann's ... I like his content but he was asking for a bit too much. That one I'll just wait for the exclusive episodes to pile up and pay for a month every so often.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phone posted:

Vice/Waypoint is either stupid or on life support… or both.

SIX MINUTES TWENTY TWO SECONDS OF PREROLL ADS!!!

Needed more ads.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Well, poo poo. Although the writing was on the wall a bit, i was hoping the subscriptions being so successful would have been enough to keep them a viable part of the org. Massive bummer, especially for folks like Renata who aren't as senior yet and might have more trouble keeping something going.

I just hope Rob refunded his idiotic monitor on time, haven't listened far enough yet to know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
will the archives still exist or should I just start downloading episodes now for future listening

I think I stopped listening around mid-2021, austin was still there. it was good, but I didn't have enough time for it on my playlists.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It probably will but who knows how long I’d just download it. Rob is gonna keep the dumb monitor because his wife said to get the big dumb purchase while he can, which I totally get.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Rob is gonna keep the dumb monitor because his wife said to get the big dumb purchase while he can, which I totally get.

:allears: beautiful.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
So what casts are folks listening to these days?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1652057931414917121?t=L4F9fH6DiD35SB9cYlZ-sQ&s=19

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1652101865855647745?t=zq6_FlWemvzb8QKInrT0Nw&s=19

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like how most of the responses are telling him to use his prototype headset.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I have no strong feelings about Waypoint but lol what a little punk.

Didn't he marry someone a couple steps removed from Trump's inner circle, or did I dream that up

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

C-Euro posted:

Didn't he marry someone a couple steps removed from Trump's inner circle, or did I dream that up

His brother in law is Matt Gaetz lol

e: his wife is just a random nobody who likes Trump as far as a Google search goes

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

C-Euro posted:

He went on a posting spree on the giant bomb reddit to 'correct' everyone calling him a shithead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

His brother in law is Matt Gaetz lol

lol awesome

Happy trails to the Waypoint crew, I retired all of my gaming podcasts last year (save for the odd WOFF episode) but being unemployed sucks and I hope they can land in something just as fulfilling.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

turtleface posted:

So what casts are folks listening to these days?

I don’t listen to their casts, or any casts for that matter, but when I want to watch someone cover a game or just goof off while playing stuff, it’s Jeff Gerstmann and also the Nextlander crew. Unfortunately the charm of in-office Giant Bomb antics is long a thing of the past. Plenty of futzing around with tech issues and the sort of banality that comes with talking heads in an internet call.

I miss GB proper a lot. Those guys are entertaining enough doing their own things now, but that was an awesome period of time and it’s sad to see that it became of a victim of the same thing it was ultimately formed in response to.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hell, when Dan took over and they onboarded Voidburger and were coming up with funny ideas for features I was kinda rolling with it. That didn’t last long though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

King poo poo.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1652103701752950786

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like how most of the responses are telling him to use his prototype headset.
Funny how all the supportive posts come from blue checkmarks.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I just signed up for Waypoint+ like two months ago, too. Not an annual sub, thankfully, I guess.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Idle Thumbs revival when

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Idle Thumbs revival when

Rob and Danielle are welcome to restart Idle Weekend at any time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Idle Thumbs revival when

This is my dream.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ja2ke posted:

Rob and Danielle are welcome to restart Idle Weekend at any time.

We'll take both :10bux:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Idle Thumbs revival when

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Idle Thumbs revival when

My favorite podcasts of all time.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 30, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Got an email about Waypoint guys continuing their podcast so thats promising.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.remapradio.com/

Apparently they got some deals made to just walk out of Vice with the subscription stuff intact, which is pretty neat. Ren's going to be winding her time down as she transitions to dev work and a cool sounding gig, and plenty of details are still up in the air about long term stuff but for now the adventure continues which I'm glad of.

The full email is here.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2023

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Glad they were able to keep their subscribers, that seems really unusual but I was happy to see it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was wondering what was up because they hinted last episode that maybe they shouldn't have told people to stop subscribing.

But fantastic news.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

teethgrinder posted:

I was wondering what was up because they hinted last episode that maybe they shouldn't have told people to stop subscribing.

But fantastic news.

Based on the first regular and bonus eps of Remap, they definitely are thinking of it as a "heist". There were plenty of sympathetic people still at Vice who worked with them to make it possible. The Memberful account was a pretty big deal because of potential liability for subscription refunds. By presenting it to Vice leadership as "hey, if you don't let them take the account then you might be open to mass demands for refunds", they were able to get a much better deal. At the same time, sticking to the existing system reduces the chance that any Waypoint hosts will be personally liable.

I'm definitely glad to see that the team can keep working... and that game Renata is pivoting to work on also sounds pretty potentially cool.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey mostly-dead thread! I wanted to drop by and mention that I've been enjoying The Fourth Curtain. This is Alex Seropian (Bungie founder, stayed w/ Bungie up through Halo, bounced around in other stuff since) and Aaron Marroquin (art/animation guy) using their contacts network to pull interviews. Scroll down to the bottom of that podcast page and have a look at the guests, a real murderer's row of old and new gamedev personalities: starting out with e.g. Chris Taylor, Bill Roper, George Fan ... I just listened to one with CliffyB today ... and I see the most recent few include Seamus Blackley and Nolan Bushnell. I'm only about 15 episodes in currently but real good so far.

(They had a side chat about AI that was a little hard to listen to, just from sounding a bit naive/uninformed, but then I remember I was listening to an episode from back in April so... not so bad in that case. But anyway it's more about the interviews than about the host-chat.)

==========

BTW I'm using Recast to listen to this and another couple of podcasts that I'm way "behind" on. I can give it the original RSS feed for the podcast and it generates a new feed that I can subscribe to. This new feed will pop out a new episode for me every X number of days starting at the beginning (or wherever I want it to start). Nice way to play catch-up with an old podcast; I can point my player at the generated feed and have it put episodes from that feed into my listening queue as they are released.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Since it's revived I'll suggest Into the Aether. They describe it as a low key video game podcast where they aren't beholden to new releases. It's two guys that have been friends forever talking about games from any time really and they only talk about stuff they like, so pretty much only good vibes. They try a bunch of stuff from mobile games to old Dreamcast stuff, and everything in between. They do a monthly bonus where they go in depth on a game (the next one is twilight princess for example) same talk about it at length. They do a big game of the year episode that is seriously long (probably not a great place to start) and they usually open each season with a console bonus where they play a ton of games from a specific old console and rank their top 5 or 10.

No ads for anything during the show and they don't advertise anywhere, just word of mouth. They make me chuckle from time to time, they have pretty great chemistry.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Suburban Dad posted:

Since it's revived I'll suggest Into the Aether. They describe it as a low key video game podcast where they aren't beholden to new releases. It's two guys that have been friends forever talking about games from any time really and they only talk about stuff they like, so pretty much only good vibes. They try a bunch of stuff from mobile games to old Dreamcast stuff, and everything in between. They do a monthly bonus where they go in depth on a game (the next one is twilight princess for example) same talk about it at length. They do a big game of the year episode that is seriously long (probably not a great place to start) and they usually open each season with a console bonus where they play a ton of games from a specific old console and rank their top 5 or 10.

No ads for anything during the show and they don't advertise anywhere, just word of mouth. They make me chuckle from time to time, they have pretty great chemistry.

Literally started listening to this yesterday and I'm sold. Just nice fun good conversations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it is pretty cool that castle super beast is in the top ten most popular gaming podcasts now. I'm sure SBFcast was higher but to see woolie and pat climb back up is nice

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

External Organs posted:

Literally started listening to this yesterday and I'm sold. Just nice fun good conversations.

Awesome! Glad you're liking it so far. Beware the GOTY episode will be like 4-6 hours long. They go pretty hard for it and it's a fun listen...but it's drat long. They're insane but most episodes are 1-2.5 hours generally.

Another recommendation is Get Played! It used to be a podcast ("How did this Get Played?" previously) where they would play lovely games and review them. Now they don't do that anymore because it was awful for their mental health it made them hate what little time they had for playing games, lol, but it was pretty funny. It features 3 sketch comedians (Nick Wiger, Heather Anne Campbell, Matt Apodaca) and sometimes guests that are pretty decent and funny, that also have good chemistry. Heather is the one that really ties the show together for me, but she's been on and off with cancer treatment recently. :smith: Otherwise it's random game topics and games, usually one theme for each episode. They do a monthly game that they play in depth and encourage listeners to play along (we play, you play) and you can ask questions or review it yourself in their discord. I like it as a good, funny and entertaining podcast with weekly episodes. They also have fun, gamey segments against each other at the end that are fun trivia on many of the episodes too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Really like Get Played. Seen Heather Anne Campbell before on Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

Also for better or for worse she's a writer on Rick & Morty.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
With the bullet in the old GB thread I was thinking of doing a revamp on this one, keep the suggestions coming. I've really been digging into Computer Game Evolution, a show that slowly builds the history of how we got from board games and their earliest forms to the current chapter he's in, the 70s-80s bridge, and how a lot of things that get credited as 90s innovations were around forever, just in myriad dead-ends or never known titles. Real good stuff.

Similarly good but a bit more niche is Inverted Castle, a Metroidvania discussion show that got me back into the genre recently. I'd classify it as the kind of duo of hosts I want on more game discussion series, where nobody stonewalls the other over minutiae, and they're both pretty aware of their own tastes but when a game is just outside of those and otherwise sound. Good banter, reminds me of the dearly departed Hyperbolic Game Chamber at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's funny to me that the OP still has Super Best Friends listed