Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
This is only tangentially related to games, unless you just pretend we're talking about Baldur's Gate...

Monster in My Podcast just launched today. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday you get ~5 minutes of a new monster. I like the show a lot, and I hope you do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

You should add Final Games Podcast to the list in the OP; generally great longform podcast wherein people from the industry talk about their 8 "desert island" games that have been significantly influential to them or that they just really love. Recent guests have been guys from the Videogamer site, Matt Lees, and Danny O' Dwyer. Generally it's mainly UK guys but really good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This nick breckon stardew valley story from idle thumbs is really one of the most perfect encapsulations of the man and one of the funniest idle thumbs bits in ages, Jake was 100% on point the whole time

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

This is only tangentially related to games, unless you just pretend we're talking about Baldur's Gate...

Monster in My Podcast just launched today. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday you get ~5 minutes of a new monster. I like the show a lot, and I hope you do too.

UhhhhHHH D&D is a game and this forum has a tabletop game subforum!

In fact if anybody posts in the TGD chat threads or w/e they should crosspost it there

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BonfireSide Chat: I'm too late to contribute to the extrasode, but I was surprised more wasn't made of the statue of the Lothric knight auto-decapitating himself with his own sword in the cathedredral.

First of all it's :black101: as all hell, but also it massively recontextualised the dead knights we saw, especially the ones in passive, sitting poses.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I need to regather the links, but since the one has had some discussion, Axe of the Blood God has tweaked things a bit by making Nadia Oxford an official cohost and giving Kat someone to bounce off of, and USG has once more relaunched "From US To You" in the evolution of its last episode, where it was a rotating host and topics brought by each participant. It's shorter now, and also occurs in video form.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Bug Squash posted:

BonfireSide Chat: I'm too late to contribute to the extrasode, but I was surprised more wasn't made of the statue of the Lothric knight auto-decapitating himself with his own sword in the cathedredral.

First of all it's :black101: as all hell, but also it massively recontextualised the dead knights we saw, especially the ones in passive, sitting poses.

It's part of the late-game boss fight there, so I guess they're gonna save it for the proper Lothric Castle episode!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's a shame the latest WW1 battlefield announcement came after the idle weekend chat about COD in space. It seems to have completely gripped every ones imagination far more than any modern or future setting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, we're mostly going to talk about it when we get further, especially when the statue bleeds.

I do think that there is an element of sacrifice to the Lothric knights but I also think there is a war going on between Gertrude and her angelic faith and the traditional "3 pillars" in Lothric. I don't think all those knights killed themselves. I mean, maybe? But the schism seems like a more rational explanation to me.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim sterling is pretty great, what are people's problem with him?

Personally its the morbid obesity

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

I was kind of surprised three separate people felt the need to kill all the nonhostile hollows for safety's sake and found the Mimics in DS3 hard. It's possible I'm the freak here though, and invariably, it's going to later turn out that they breezed past some part of the game that took me three hours and instantly figured out a boss gimmick I died four times before even grasping because that's how soulsgames work.

Ramagamma posted:

Personally its the morbid obesity

This seems to be a source of person animosity and anger to you, to the point where you're still grousing about it after getting banned over a similar thing previously. When did these problems with obese people start? Tell me about your relationship with your father.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please do not respond to ramagamma, he is mentally unsound.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
About a minute sample of axe blood rpg and I can already see myself subscribing to future episodes. Nadia definitely solves the problem I had with the previous format that was basically monotone talking with monotone.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Adding Nadia helped a lot. I've always been a subscriber because I like Kat and she knows her stuff about RPGs, but the past 3-4 episodes with Nadia have been a clear improvement. They have a bit of a rapport now, which the show never had before when it was Kat talking to different people for 20 minutes every episode.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New Retronauts about the PlayStation Resident Evil trilogy: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retronauts-creeps-through-resident-evils-roots

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thank you for qualifying the scope of this ep here and during the actual ep, I had a long ragepost written in my head about how the hell anyone could do a Resident Evil retrospective without including 4. Still waiting for one of my regularly-scheduled podcasts to drop a RE4 episode (*cough*WOFF*cough*)

Also Jeremy don't feel too bad about playing multiple RE titles and none of them sticking. I keep falling into that same "trap" with Fire Emblem.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That's also a series that has a lot of weird experiments. I've bounced around the later titles in it and gone back some and right now, RE6 and RE1 are both roadblocks for me because of how their save systems work. I play in bursts, damnit!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Thank you for qualifying the scope of this ep here and during the actual ep, I had a long ragepost written in my head about how the hell anyone could do a Resident Evil retrospective without including 4. Still waiting for one of my regularly-scheduled podcasts to drop a RE4 episode (*cough*WOFF*cough*)

Also Jeremy don't feel too bad about playing multiple RE titles and none of them sticking. I keep falling into that same "trap" with Fire Emblem.

Resident Evil 4 deserves its own episode :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Gary + Kole:

Maybe you mentioned this in the last thread, but any plans for Symphony of the Night for WOFF?

I can certainly see arguments against NOT doing it (I mean, what gaming podcast at this point hasn't done it? It's maybe a touch overdone,) but it just seems like something that would have been done by you guys by now.

Though I could also imagine you're perhaps saving it for something like the 200th episode like Super Metroid.

Or maybe it's your "break glass in case of emergency" game?

At any rate, keep up the great work! I'm loving 'There's a Monster in my Podcast.'

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it'll probably be 150 or 200, for sure.

I'm looking forward to it because I have no real affinity for the series outside of the first hour of Circle of the Moon and *GDQs, and the Retronauts episode was kind of all over the place. The WOFF treatment should bridge the gap, though. Also gives me a perfect excuse to play along. :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'd be amazed if we don't do Symphony. It's one of my favorites. It'll definitely be on a milestone episode though. We don't have all that many HUGE games to save for those nice round numbers. Especially since, if we get our druthers, we'll do a whole Final Fantasy show and that knocks several tent poll games off of regular WOFF consideration.

Thanks for the kind words about Monster in my Podcast. It's super fun to do. Stay tuned next month for BEHOLDER WEEK.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

if we get our druthers, we'll do a whole Final Fantasy show

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Phone posted:

I think it'll probably be 150 or 200, for sure.

I'm looking forward to it because I have no real affinity for the series outside of the first hour of Circle of the Moon and *GDQs, and the Retronauts episode was kind of all over the place. The WOFF treatment should bridge the gap, though. Also gives me a perfect excuse to play along. :)

150 (or 151) should be Pokemon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy hearing nick talking about what it's like being a twitch streamer but not a "real" twitch streamer (as in some one doing it for a job). I'm also pleasantly surprised to hear about doom, I'd pretty much written it off also after that multi player beta.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

I enjoy hearing nick talking about what it's like being a twitch streamer but not a "real" twitch streamer (as in some one doing it for a job). I'm also pleasantly surprised to hear about doom, I'd pretty much written it off also after that multi player beta.
That's the first you've heard good things about it? Pretty much everything I listen to (or any other media) has been singing its praises since it released, it's super super good

I remember when people were like "maaaaaan that cyberdemon looks so stuuuuupid like a world of warcraft character" and no, boy howdy, no he does not in motion

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Was just catching up on Abject Suffering. There's a guy that does Lagoon during the awful games block at AGDQ and is an entertaining runner who really shows off the full measure of the game's lunacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh48L0YBsbI

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember when people were like "maaaaaan that cyberdemon looks so stuuuuupid like a world of warcraft character" and no, boy howdy, no he does not in motion

People said exactly the same thing about Diablo 3. People are idiots.

Also I'm finally into Dark Souls and Bonfireside Chat was great helping me get started. I'm into Blight Town now, but a few podcast episodes behind that. Also people online loving love to talk about Dark Souls, usually any of the irc/discord/slack channels I frequent have a few folks willing to give me little hints if I need them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kole, you should watch Iron Man 3 if you like the Marvel movies at all. It's easily one of the best films in the series, up with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. It's almost good enough to not need the qualifier "for a superhero movie".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Was just catching up on Abject Suffering. There's a guy that does Lagoon during the awful games block at AGDQ and is an entertaining runner who really shows off the full measure of the game's lunacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh48L0YBsbI
PJ is the best speedrunner out there. Every speedrun he does both is hilarious because PJ is great at keeping people engaged no matter the game(him and Mecharichter managed to keep my attention for the entirety of their Battleblock Theater speedrun during a GDQ which is no small feat because that game is a bore), and he also happens to have the worst luck imaginable(without games straight up breaking) such as his Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts speedrun during SGDQ 2014 wherein he restricts himself to whatever weapon happens to drop, he MUST pick it up unless it would kill him to get to it. I think he plays like half the game with the crossbow because the game absolutely refuses to let him keep any other weapon for more than a few screens worth.

Start about 2 minutes in as he explains stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHsR6e0nlA&hd=1

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Kole, you should watch Iron Man 3 if you like the Marvel movies at all. It's easily one of the best films in the series, up with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. It's almost good enough to not need the qualifier "for a superhero movie".

IM3 is probably the one marvel studios movie where the plot genuinely surprised me and i didn't come out of it feeling like i already knew everything that was gonna happen before i watched it

it rules

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Iron Man 3 is a genuinely good movie. I'm not a fan of Shane Black seeing how I've only seen Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys, but he's incredibly peculiar from what I've read.

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but there's more than a few sequences (note: not action) that have stuck with me given that I'm seriously burnt out on the Marvel stuff as of late (had zero interest in Avengers 2, the last two Captain America movies, any of the Thor movies, etc).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Iron Man 3 is a genuinely good movie. I'm not a fan of Shane Black seeing how I've only seen Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys, but he's incredibly peculiar from what I've read.
I assume you're only talking about films he directed and not ones he just wrote, because if you somehow still haven't seen Lethal Weapon or Monster Squad you should get off these forums for a few hours and fix that oversight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Also Predator. He even has a role in it!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Phone posted:

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but there's more than a few sequences (note: not action) that have stuck with me given that I'm seriously burnt out on the Marvel stuff as of late (had zero interest in Avengers 2, the last two Captain America movies, any of the Thor movies, etc).

You should make an exception for Captain America: Winter Soldier.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thirsty Dog posted:

Or don't because Winder Soldier was exceptionally clunky, hamhanded, monotonous, and everything that was kinda interesting about it was rehashed from 60s and 70s political suspense thrillers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Echoing this as someone else who is burnt out on Marvel stuff. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Only saw it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I just wanted to pipe in here and thank Gary+Kole for their Duckfeed.tv streams. Between WOFF, BFSC, and AS I can pretty much always have something to listen to and feel like I could just sit down and bullshit with you guys like we've been friends for a long time.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

I just wanted to pipe in here and thank Gary+Kole for their Duckfeed.tv streams. Between WOFF, BFSC, and AS I can pretty much always have something to listen to and feel like I could just sit down and bullshit with you guys like we've been friends for a long time.

Aw, thanks buddy!

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
This past weeks Hot Dog was really good. I think that it might be the most I've ever heard Zack laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I, too, really enjoyed VGHD. It got morbid in a few places, but it was good to think about our mortality and the concept of consciousness and hear everyone bounce ideas off of each other. I also lost my poo poo at how childhood viewings of horror movies have shaped lifelong behaviors near the end of the ep.

It definitely warrants a relisten for me.