Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zapjackson posted:

At least he's right about Yoshi's Island.

Captain Invictus posted:

hmmm, ah, yeah, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I lost it when nick said "salt pig". Also I'm a non american is kosher salt just like sea salt?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Kosher salt has more to do with the size of the crystals, being more coarse than table salt.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Jippa posted:

I lost it when nick said "salt pig". Also I'm a non american is kosher salt just like sea salt?

I lost it as Chris's prolonged insistence that he didn't buy a "salt pig"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Tae posted:

Beastcast are the only ones that make ads bearable because instead of trying to relate the product, they make up ridiculous situations that vagely mention the prosuct. Like trying to strip each other or take photos of car licenses to incriminate people.

RIP Small Business Man.

At this point the ads don't bother me in any video game podcasts, because everyone does a relatively good job of making them entertaining. Your description does make me realize that Beastcast ads are slowly becoming Abject Suffering randomizations, and that's pretty great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Latest Retronauts was severely lacking in Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City. My cousin had that game and I really wish I knew where it was because I'd love to play it today.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Latest Retronauts was severely lacking in Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City. My cousin had that game and I really wish I knew where it was because I'd love to play it today.

We talked about it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

We talked about it?

I must have zoned out for that part, my bad

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I had never heard the music from Moonwalker before but from what played during the episode it sounds pretty drat good! A quick trip to youtube confirms this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/brunchfordays/status/846132058225176576/photo/1

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey I got opinions re: Castlevania:

--I think you guys were too hard on CotM. I never had the control issues you guys claimed in the episode, and I thought the difficulty curve was pretty even and balanced around the fact that you couldn't buy items. I do think the DSS system, while really cool when it worked, could have used a lot more polish especially in acquiring the cards (why does the Earth Demon drop the ice element card :psyduck:) but there was a super-easy exploit to get around that: activate a card combo, then before the power-up animation finishes go into the menu and select the cards you actually want to use, even if you don't actually have them yet. You could also unlock bonus modes that would augment your character in certain ways (huge magic stats and all cards unlocked at the start, etc.) and the last mode gave you astronomically high luck so enemies would just hemorrhage items, it was awesome.

--Harmony's backgrounds and enemy sprites look good even if they cop too heavily on SotN assets, but I can't get over how bad the game sounds (music and effects) and how bad the player sprites are. I'm actually surprised that someone said they bought it on vinyl, I don't get the chiptunes vibe at all. Maybe chiptunes out of a broken speaker. All around it felt like they were trying to push the limits of the system too hard, not in a "we want to make something really cutting-edge" way but in a "you guys like this other game right?" way. I also didn't think the castle was that much fun to explore, even though I didn't mind the dual castle concept.

--For my money, Aria is the best Castlevania game. Also the ending where you become Dracula is what happens when you lose to the final boss (Chaos), it's really good and you should check it out if you haven't.

--Getting stronger soul attacks in Dawn of Sorrow if you have multiple of a soul is really cool...except the soul drop rates in that game are awful even by Castlevania standards. Combine that with the fact that the only worthwhile weapons in this game are obtained by weapon/soul fusion and you need to do a lot of soul-searching (heh) to get everything out of this game, which definitely causes it to drag. It does have the best "play as another character" mode of any Castlevania though, with its own plot and everything!

Never played Portrait of Ruin. Haven't finished Order of Ecclesia but I should. It's real good but it's also hard!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It was good timing that the Castlevania episode dropped as the series has been on my mind recently. Last week, as a post-Zelda decompressing, I finally got around to playing C3: Dracula's Curse for my 3DS. I wound up listening to the Retronauts show on the original trilogy as well as the WOFF before it. I was pretty pumped to play a great NES game that I had missed before, especially given that an animated series will be based on it.

However, in actually playing the game I find it to be a piece of poo poo. It's so difficult and frustrating that I can't really enjoy the excellent music. I'm about halfway through. I'll finish the slog just to see it through but yeesh, I just want to turn it off after about 5 minutes. This makes me sad.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Castlevania 3 is drat good - better than the rest of the trilogy and easily deserving of any NES Top 10 list - but it is indeed very hard. You may want to try the Japanese version, if you care enough; I haven't listened to the Retronauts/WoFF stuff yet so they may have mentioned this but the US version made a bunch of weird balance adjustments that most players consider to have the net result of making the game more difficult.

Especially in the back nine.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yes, it was mentioned how they changed things. Pretty frustrating.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I just recently finished Rondo of Blood for the first time. It's so good!

I played the unlockable PC Engine version in the PSP remake on a Vita. What a weird thing. Inception sound.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
So I understand you folks like people talking about video games. Well, my friend and I do just that. It occurred to us that we both own... well, drat near every Final Fantasy title, and we both consider ourselves high-tier fans of the series. But we each have parts we prefer to others, and time has taken its toll on our recollection of some of these. So we're doing them all again.

Turtle's Paradise is myself and my friend Chris as we systematically work our way through a history filled with princesses, numbers, and strange haircuts. It's two guys rediscovering just why the hell we like these drat games... and why we seem to own 'em all, even the ones we admit we don't really like. We're currently on the DS version of FFIII, where we're watching the absolute genesis of the "Job" concept that'd pervade choice titles in the series from this point out... released a decade after (and which we're playing two decades after) the two of us ACTUALLY encountered these mechanics in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway. Join us every other week for another quarter-of-a-JRPG, some beers, tangents, hype for the new season of BoJack Horseman...

Podbean: https://turtlesparadise.podbean.com/
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/turtles-paradise/id1178852525

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It saddens me that Megaten Marathon seems to have died. I was enjoying it, but no new episodes for a month is always a bad sign.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CottonWolf posted:

It saddens me that Megaten Marathon seems to have died. I was enjoying it, but no new episodes for a month is always a bad sign.

They just recorded the final Strange Journey episode. I'm not the editor, so I can't speak to that, but the final chunk took it out of them. I look forward to Persona 5 live episodes proceeding to break their spirit, I hear that game overstays it's loving welcome by a mile.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

END ME SCOOB posted:

They just recorded the final Strange Journey episode. I'm not the editor, so I can't speak to that, but the final chunk took it out of them. I look forward to Persona 5 live episodes proceeding to break their spirit, I hear that game overstays it's loving welcome by a mile.

As someone who's played through Strange Journey, I can see that. From Eridanus on, it's a real slog in parts. Glad to hear it's not dead though!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did you actually hear that, or do you assume so because you have said you don't like long rpgs in the past?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tae posted:

Did you actually hear that, or do you assume so because you have said you don't like long rpgs in the past?

I asked some pals in Japan about the game when it came out because I wondered if it was different enough to merit my caring after P3/4 malaise. Their responses were a) I, specifically, should avoid it like the plague and b) to this date neither has finished it because and this is a direct quote "It's like they figured they needed to make it twice as long as the last one since it took forever to make".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean if you specifically didn't like Persona, then Persona 5 won't change your mind it's more polished persona. I wouldn't recommend a sports game to someone that doesn't like sports games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well, yes, that's why I'm not trying to warn everyone off it or anything. I hate the rut that franchise fell into, and this does not seem to change it. That length thing seems crazy as gently caress though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there something specific that's missing in the current SMT/Persona dual franchise that's missing, or you think it's gone to hell like how fire emblem fans think the series died once it went to the 3DS?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm just sick of the nearly nil refinements to the combat/social link system. I got tired of it after FES and there hasn't been a single thing shaking it up since, when the Persona stuff used to be real "the only consistent is modern day!" experiments.

I am super worried about a lot of Atlus stuff being remakes, I confess. I told myself all the P4 milking had something to do with Index's shuddering death and now there's a lot more "look, it's that old game!" and a couple of quick sequels than really new barnburners

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 2, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a bit of a sad irony that you could fit 90% of what's interesting about Persona 5 into a game that was a quarter the length with no combat and no supernatural elements.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm just sick of the nearly nil refinements to the combat/social link system. I got tired of it after FES and there hasn't been a single thing shaking it up since, when the Persona stuff used to be real "the only consistent is modern day!" experiments.

I am super worried about a lot of Atlus stuff being remakes, I confess. I told myself all the P4 milking had something to do with Index's shuddering death and now there's a lot more "look, it's that old game!" and a couple of quick sequels than really new barnburners

I can't say that I'm happy that there's so many remakes in the pipeline, but I think you might be overreacting a bit. It's not like they didn't remake the first two games for snes and then remake the shin series for ps1 and gameboy. I don't think Atlus is in a bad position but given how long that Persona 5 took to come out and how much longer Persona 6 will take I'm sure they're not in a position that they can afford to not always have something new coming around the corner to provide them some guaranteed income.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Thank God I got really worried they were gonna burn out there. It's insane that they managed to push through the first persona and would burn out on SJ, but from the last episode it sounded like they were not taking to the combat system at all so that's got to make that final stretch real difficult. I wonder if they realized that they can beat the final boss with a bunch of level 5 password demons?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

The core team is working on that new fantasy game, remakes take a fraction of the staff. They don't take anything away.

I guess this is some perspective I'll never understand because I play one SMT/Persona game like every few years and not every single entry like you so I don't have this burnout problem.

FractalSandwich posted:

It's a bit of a sad irony that you could fit 90% of what's interesting about Persona 5 into a game that was a quarter the length with no combat and no supernatural elements.

I mean, name me any game that's over 20 hours long. It's not specifically a persona problem. Games pad things because that's what games do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gonna be real funny when the Strange Journey remake turns out somehow even worse than the original.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Persona 5 and the Strange Journey remake are both going to frigging rule

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I mean, name me any game that's over 20 hours long. It's not specifically a persona problem. Games pad things because that's what games do.
I wouldn't call that a good thing, and Persona 5 is an extreme case. It's unusual for a whole suite of systems and story elements to be so superfluous.

I like Persona 5, and I'm interested to see what Atlus do next now that they're free of it, but I hope it's more along the lines of a new "Persona: Just the Interesting Bits" spin-off, and not Persona 6.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I was just downloading a mod when I came across this blast from the ePast and thought about that stupid (terrific) voice for the first time in years.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Regarding today's Abject Suffering: the Snowy River. That's all.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I was just downloading a mod when I came across this blast from the ePast and thought about that stupid (terrific) voice for the first time in years.

No, you hang up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Re: Idle Thumbs "gaming habits" reader mail, am I the only person whose first character in a Zelda game is always named Link?

My other gaming habit, if I had to call it that, is that I like to play generalist, flexible characters when given the chance. Sadly I can't think of any game where being a jack of all trades is actually good, or better than going hard at one character niche.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Re: Idle Thumbs "gaming habits" reader mail, am I the only person whose first character in a Zelda game is always named Link?

My other gaming habit, if I had to call it that, is that I like to play generalist, flexible characters when given the chance. Sadly I can't think of any game where being a jack of all trades is actually good, or better than going hard at one character niche.

Nioh is good for being a generalist. Each stat buffs an important attribute of the character and weapons have their attack increased by three different stats.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This week's Important if True is gold. The Ghost/Goblin section had me snickering like a crazy person on the Tube. I got looks.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If there's no new thumbs for a month, that means there is plenty of time for all of them to play through Nier Automota, and I will be miffed if none of them do. Holy heck does that game have some robots.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Did Video Games Hot Dog go all the way through the assignment without mentioning the name of the game once? I don't think I missed it, but I might have been distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Did Video Games Hot Dog go all the way through the assignment without mentioning the name of the game once? I don't think I missed it, but I might have been distracted.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight.

It's always listed on the website and the forums.