Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

END ME SCOOB posted:

I will give them this: specifically making sure to pause the Patreon so it's not charging us on the dead months is a pro move and has basically ensured I'm with them until the end, that's just going out of the way to be as easy as possible on any of us.

Yeah, they did announce the hiatus, and paused the Patreon. So it’s not out of the blue or anything. It has gone on a little longer than I’d hoped, but that’s life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Idle Thumbs working on Half Life 3, duh.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

C-Euro posted:

Re: Pathologic WOFF: someone please explain the cool twist with the town map that gets discussed around 2:47:00. The game suddenly points out to you that the map is shaped like an animal? I must have missed something because I went back and listened to that bit again and it sounds like they just describe why this moment is cool without actually saying what the moment is.

Throughout the game you're constantly checking your map, and after a certain point, zooming out the map far enough will cause it to be replaced by an overlaid image of a bull.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I haven't listened to the episode yet so I'm not sure if they didn't specify or you misheard, but yes, the map is shaped like a bull (or roughly corresponds to a drawing of one). The Polyhedron is symbolically drilled into the bull's head.

Also, re: the Nier episode (do Gary and Kole even check this thread anymore?) Kaine's secret seemed really obvious to me the first time I played the game (like from the NG+ story). Emil's thing is pretty irrelevant to his character, but Kaine's isn't, and in both cases there's a relationship between that stuff and what becomes the eventual emotional core and human theme of the game. Spoilers for Ending D: literally the final choice you make is to save Kaine's life at the expense of everything Nier is, entrusting Yonah to her, a profound act of love for an Other that blurs the lines between Nier and the player. Nier is ultimately more like a really rough-but-sincere poem written by a drunk on a napkin than it is a calculated and well-constructed experience, and people who get super hung up in stuff like the minutia of the setting are missing the forest for the trees. It worked well enough for me, at least, that I was excited for Automata (which is much more playable).

I'm kinda at a point in my life where I'd rather play "bad" games that are interesting or make me feel something than really polished ones that don't, but whether or not something is interesting enough to make up for the amount of bullshit in a game like Nier or whether it makes you feel something is obviously subjective.

I hope them playing Nier didn't sour them on playing Automata.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Kole’s been playing and enjoying automata and discussing it on the Level. I don’t think Gary will consider trying it for a while, which is totally reasonable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Much love Kole, but four times Jesse Owen's max speed is not breaking the sound barrier my dude. That's some UYD levels of bad approximation.

(re: Tachypus on MimP)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

zapjackson posted:

VGHD is probably gonna be weird and noisy for a while until we can set up a more permanent SF studio space.

>sf office space

Asym nooo

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

C-Euro posted:

Much love Kole, but four times Jesse Owen's max speed is not breaking the sound barrier my dude. That's some UYD levels of bad approximation.

(re: Tachypus on MimP)

It's really sad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
God of War WOFF thoughts-

Thank you for praising the Artemis Blade, I thought I was the only person who liked it. It feels really good even if it ultimately comes up short vs the Blades of Chaos.

The guy that you grab onto when you first drop into Hades is supposed to be the ship captain from the beginning of the game, I think. They revisit this for a cheap laugh in GoW2 and 3.

This game is a prime example of one of my big gaming pet peeves, which is "final areas or bosses that require you to operate using brand-new or rarely-utilized game mechanics". I don't know if GoW is why these are in more games but that last part of the final boss with the bridge sword and the back-and -forth health bar is real bad. The first part where you still have your normal moveset is still good though. Also having Pandora's Box turn you into a giant owns.

It's a good game and an important one for games so I'm glad you played it. 2 and 3 are better though; I don't recall who said they hadn't played 3 but I recommend it, and I may even have a copy lying around if you're hard-up for one.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2018

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
GOW 3 is on PS+ this week.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I keep getting trolled by chris re tweeting these weird bot created important if true things that look like a new episode is coming. :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jippa posted:

I keep getting trolled by chris re tweeting these weird bot created important if true things that look like a new episode is coming. :(

I'm 99% sure it's coming back in a week or two given that I'm set to be charged for the coming month.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm 99% sure it's coming back in a week or two given that I'm set to be charged for the coming month.

That's great news.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The campaign pause notifications seem to happen on the day that they’re supposed to be charged, so I’m not sure anything you can see now is indicative of what will happen.

I hope it’s coming back!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The campaign pause notifications seem to happen on the day that they’re supposed to be charged, so I’m not sure anything you can see now is indicative of what will happen.

I hope it’s coming back!

Unless they changed it, no. The campaign had a banner over it if you went to the page saying "this campaign is paused". This month they unfroze it so its gonna charge again at week's end.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

END ME SCOOB posted:

Unless they changed it, no. The campaign had a banner over it if you went to the page saying "this campaign is paused". This month they unfroze it so its gonna charge again at week's end.

Well, that's encouraging. I keep running out of cast since I started running regularly; I need some content.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think it's time for a soft reboot. Welcome back to The Important If True Podcast #1.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Bring back idle thumbs imo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe when the guys are financially secure enough to pack things and get out of making steam sale minigames

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

well at least they got out of telltale well ahead of time

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

I’m gonna burst this bubble and say if you get charged it’s a mistake and we’ll go through and issue refunds. :(

We’d like to get back into it but honestly it’s been very overwhelming to consider.

I’m starting to look into recording studios we could rent for blocks of a few hours at a time though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the valve vortex claims another cluster of souls

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you fire up important if true again, I would love if brad muir could guest at some point since you're all in the same office now, right? miss that smiley face

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

I’m gonna burst this bubble and say if you get charged it’s a mistake and we’ll go through and issue refunds. :(

We’d like to get back into it but honestly it’s been very overwhelming to consider.

I’m starting to look into recording studios we could rent for blocks of a few hours at a time though.

Gabe Newell parachute account spotted.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Welp. Yeah, I guess it just doesn't display this 24/7 anymore like it did in some prior months.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Just take a massive break, as long as you need. Don't feel pressured to come back. It's all good.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/1050062524639584256

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really miss idle thumbs and important if true in my weekly listening. I even got a coworker into it by having him listen to the discussion on boups-boups and the horrifying piano voice robot segment :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I still think about the segment several times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkSBO2ZSGs

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

did Thumbs go on hiatus before or after the Space rear end in a top hat red faction guerilla remastered trailer came out?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think they mentioned it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lone Goat posted:

did Thumbs go on hiatus before or after the Space rear end in a top hat red faction guerilla remastered trailer came out?

Just after.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

tbh if it was going to end, that's a pretty fitting way to go out.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ja2ke/status/1050845924732235776

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
No matter how long it takes for the casts to come back, we’ll always have the masterpiece that is Important If True !!: A Funky Bad (Good) Apology.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/BlendoGames/status/1054081228146565120

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If any one is interested nick has been streaming on twitch. The channel is nickbreckon. I have had fun watching him throw muffins at people in hitman.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Both Breckon (a lot of Hollow Knight) and Gaynor (twitch.tv/stevegaynor)(Hitman 2) have been streaming a good bit recently.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The crate and crowbar is great. I was cooking my supper last night listening to them having in depth discussions on a load of games.

Then this morning just as I was listening to them while making breakfast and they do the "questions from questions" section where pip magically appears and they all hammered. Very silly/funny. I think they strike the balance between the two things incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I haven't listened to the podcast in forever, but apparently the Zaibatsu broke up because Matt and Pat aren't friends anymore. :(