Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've only listened to the first few episodes of Crate & Crowbar, is Philippa Warr really that good on it? I can't stand her writing on Rock Paper Shotgun at all so I kind of cringed when I first learned I had her to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lone Goat posted:

She's guested multiple times before and was a fuckin delight every time.

That's good to hear then. I've actually nearly caught up on all my podcasts so I might start going through the archives of the Crate & Crowbar, especially since I'm getting a new computer soon and it'll remind me of any cool games I might have forgotten about because they came out when I had a garbage one.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"story gamers"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Paul.Power posted:

including a good deal of Magic the Gathering stuff that I'm not really into - but hey, if you are into that, you'll probably love it

Medibot ended episode 94 with a blood pact to never talk about Magic again so you're pretty safe from that in the future. They don't talk about games that much either and Kaz has very questionable ideas about what constitutes good game design, but if you're looking for creative lying, it's your cast.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think a lot of my good will towards DS2 lore comes from hearing you guys discuss the ways in which it's cool (aside from the ghost guy in Drangleic Castle, who became my favorite NPC in Souls the moment I talked to him) so it'll be interesting to hear you discuss a souls game whose lore you're not as on board with.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's nothing wrong with a sequel being an actual sequel, and while there's definitely a few bits of dumb "fanservice" (that I'm not sure anybody wanted, hence the air quotes) in Dark Souls 3, I also remember people on this forum bitching that Dark Souls 2 had Warriors of Sunlight and the "Praise the Sun" gesture in it because of how much they hated memes, and I get exhausted with the tendency to hate on or dismiss something solely because it makes other people happy (especially when those people nominally belong to an "enemy tribe" like Reddit or NeoGAF in which case they're automatically idiots/autists/creeps/dorks/etc)

The problem in my opinion is that Dark Souls 2 had relatively obscure references that felt like they made sense for a game set hundreds of years after Dark Souls 1, so when the really blatant stuff popped up like Ornstein or the out of place statue that's just there because the sunlight covenant was popular it stuck out a little. Then we go to DS3 and suddenly it's a much more direct sequel and your old pals and favorite areas are back. I think if the two games had been reversed, with DS2 taking the direct approach and DS3 doing the "echo of the distant past" thing, it'd feel more congruous.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Zack is on here as zapjackson but I don't think he posts much outside of these threads. I heard of poopsocking long before I even knew what SA was so that's a pretty poor indicator.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Turns out the entire Duckfeed.tv network has been a sophisticated phishing scam to steal goons bank accounts

Zack from Video Games Hot Dog had some pretty solid evidence that squarespace sells your information to spammers so really who's owned here?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Duckfeed is a national treasure even if Gary's highly illegal opinions should get him tried for crimes against gaming.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know how many people here have been listening to The Pitch: Uploaded but this lastest episode is amazing. I lost it at Gary going on a mouth sound emotional rollercoaster while Brayton explained the concept of a credit card.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
smdh if you aren't steam friends with the pontifex

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
let's not actually have a discussion about Undertale with Gary Butterfield, it's going to be about as productive as giving a Steam key to the pope

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Man, that Dale. He fucks.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think there's any value to hearing them talk about how much they hate playing games with strangers for the umpteenth time, or how they got lost on a 5CP map, or their keen insight on why it's not OK to be mean to the garbage medic running around trying to kill scouts with his bonesaw. But that was like 5% of the episode and the rest was about the content and mechanics of the game, the art direction, the weirdly large and high-quality corpus of TF2 comics and videos, and so forth.

Sure, they spent more time talking about Mann vs Machine than I've spent playing it, but they touched on everything you could reasonably expect two people without 100 hours to pour into the game to touch on and it seems only reasonable that they'd focus on the parts they enjoyed most. An episode like this is always going to be incomplete due to time constraints and aspects of their personality but I don't think it's fair to call it outright lazy.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
They absolutely did play the game and discuss what it entails, in pretty decent detail given they described every class and most of the game modes. They even parked on individual maps for a few minutes at a time, which I personally thought was going above and beyond. There are skill curves and there are skill curves, and the several hours of single player platforming it takes to understand Mario are not comparable to the hundreds of hours of competitive team based multiplayer shooting that it takes to understand the least interesting part of TF2 to talk about to a wide audience.

At the end of the day their normietude is pretty well-established and if you've listened to more than like 3 episodes of the show then it starts being on you to move on if it's not what you're looking for. I guess if you like what they do but don't think it's good enough for a primarily PvP game then that's fair enough but people who approach games like TF2 the way Gary and Kole do outnumber us 10:1, I expect, so just think of this episode as being for them and pretend it never happened.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 5, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't recall if Gary mentioned which map he got lost on but there's definitely a few 5CP maps where if you don't know them you can end up taking a side path that goes from the center point to a team's last point without noticing you skipped past one.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I was trying to remember if they've done any other episodes like this one and I thought of the SF2 one, but it was a live episode and those are always a huge drop in quality regardless of how deep they dove into the game beforehand.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
they're going to do ikaruga and three people in the audience are going to grit their teeth through the whole episode

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
it's hecked up how careful gary was to not offend any fetishists this episode given his vehement opposition to having a horny time with videogames

why can't a man gently caress his videogames, butterfield

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh. I thought you were disapproivng of people cranking their hog to videogames in a general sense, rather than of the poor taste/quality of sex stuff in videogames. I'll chalk it up to my poor memory. Either way I was just crankin' your hog, I'm not actually putting you on blast for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd just like to mention that I absolutely lost my poo poo at Zack's Klax joke in the latest VGHD.