Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was kinda surprised they didn't bring up the "Andre's the firstborn thing" because of what a big deal that was in Souls lore speculation and him being in DS3 seems to put fuel on the fire.

Very late game, optional area spoilers about DS3: The game explicitly introduces you to the first born and tells you fun stories about why he was kicked out of Lordran and who he hung out with. It just never tells you why the firstborn has such a godawful hitbox, too much HP, and apparently infinite stamina.

So that's all cleared up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zombies' Downfall posted:

SA basically takes it from two separate sides.

On one hand you've got all the people who've had their MMO or Kickstarter project or whatever trolled mercilessly by goon guilds and goofballs from here posting on their forums. The Goonswarm paranoia people. Some of whom are just like 40 year old roleplayers or well-intentioned weirdos or whatever who are terrified of goons throwing floppy dongs at their videogame social event.

On the other hand you've got this substantial chunk of the Internet culture war who views SA as a hive of social justice scum and villainy because the forums have a history of aggressively moderating idiotic assholes, a category that happens to include a substantial majority of racists, misogynists, and homophobes - as well as people who aren't bigots but exist on forums mainly to shitpost unfunny one-liners. Some of them are actual bigots, and others just think SA's being curated at all is an assault upon the principle of free speech.

What they fail to realize is that as relatively dead as SA is from its height of popularity, it's still a big forum, and has a bunch of cliques with disparate values and interests who are mostly able to coexist without burning the place down. Basically the only thing "goons" have in common is that they paid 10 bux to post on a forum, and those of us who have 5+ year old accounts without being permabanned have managed to at least not attract massive attention to how stupid and unfunny we are for a long time.

Saving this for the next time someone asks me what SA is.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Excuse a bit of shameless self promotion:

Dark Insight
Inspired by Bloodborne and podcasts like Twin Humanities and Bonfireside Chat, Cliff Goldsmith started Dark Insight. He shortly added Vader as a host, and the podcast moved to more of a general gaming focus. 13 episodes in I joined, and we've been a trio ever since. We talk about games we've been playing and well, general gaming stuff. I will say this: you won't get any of us confused. I have a pretty thick, southern US accent. Cliff is from London, and Vader is from New Zealand. We have random guests on from the small community we've built, as well as other podcast people (like Paddy from Twin Humanities or more recently Peter Cleaves from Cane and Rinse). We do episodes every other week, with the occasional special episode in between if we feel like it.

Hosts: Clifford Goldsmith, Vader Van Odin, Jeremy Greer
Links: Site | iTunes | RSS | Twitter

Don't Give Up, Skeleton
If you live and breathe Dark Souls as much as I do, you've probably listened to a lot of podcasts about it. Whenever the topic comes up, the question "How did you get into Dark Souls?" invariably is the first question. I was fascinated by the different stories I would hear, so I said gently caress it and started my own podcast based on the topic. DGUS is a weekly podcast where I interview a guest about how they got into the series. I'm trying to walk a line between guests that people would recognize (like Illusory Wall or the aforementioned Paddy Stardust) and people that don't normally contribute to the community, but have interesting stories (like Katherine or Ali). Episodes are usually around an hour, and are almost 100% Souls chat unless the guest decides to go off topic. I've gotten good feedback for it so far, so I figured I would link it here again. I'm always looking for more guests, so if your'e into the idea send me an email or DM.

Host: Jeremy Greer
Links: Site | iTunes | RSS | Twitter

Also, I met the guy who does We're Not Wizards through the Duckfeed group, and he's hilarious. The podcast is about all things board gaming. I was on an ep recently talking about my first D&D experience, which was fantastic. You can check out that ep here, and listen to the D&D cast here (with Gary Butterfield, Brayton Cameron, Bryan Wade, and Shane Kelly).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I mentioned it in this week's BSC, but I'm just tired of all the attempts to wring a good story out of the pieces and parts DS3 gives you. The game plays great, and I'm looking forward to the PVP arena, but the lore stuff is just...depressing.

Now that the DLC has arrived and 100% didn't address all the complaints people had regarding the story, it's even worse. I'm already hearing "but the second DLC pack is supposed to be way bigger!" It doesn't even have a name yet, for fucks sake.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Med School posted:

I liked WOFFs final fantasy 7 episodes a lot. I hope they do 8 sometime. I've listened to a lot of WOFF episodes again, like a year later, and they are still entertaining.

Their x men cartoon podcast is also hilarious.

Oh hey thanks, I have a blast doing that with Gamb-er, Gary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
GOW 3 is on PS+ this week.