Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Remember what happened last time the thread talked about Totalbiscuit? He showed up in the thread.

Do you want ants Totalbiscuits? Because that's how you get Totalbiscuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Diablo 3 is so aggressively dumb. When I first got it, I got mad at few people for skipping the initial cutscenes when Leah is trying to plot device her way into whatever, but woof... the cutscene skippers had the right idea.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everyone likes Gary & Kole because it's a goon project that actually worked.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it'll probably be 150 or 200, for sure.

I'm looking forward to it because I have no real affinity for the series outside of the first hour of Circle of the Moon and *GDQs, and the Retronauts episode was kind of all over the place. The WOFF treatment should bridge the gap, though. Also gives me a perfect excuse to play along. :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Iron Man 3 is a genuinely good movie. I'm not a fan of Shane Black seeing how I've only seen Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys, but he's incredibly peculiar from what I've read.

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but there's more than a few sequences (note: not action) that have stuck with me given that I'm seriously burnt out on the Marvel stuff as of late (had zero interest in Avengers 2, the last two Captain America movies, any of the Thor movies, etc).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I, too, really enjoyed VGHD. It got morbid in a few places, but it was good to think about our mortality and the concept of consciousness and hear everyone bounce ideas off of each other. I also lost my poo poo at how childhood viewings of horror movies have shaped lifelong behaviors near the end of the ep.

It definitely warrants a relisten for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you actually not """know""" why?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Samopsa posted:

when in doubt, assume everyone is a garbage human being imo

Um, you don't seem to understand, this is about ethics in offhand jokes made on gaming podcasts.

(note: Gary + Kole, you're hosed if anyone dev finds out that Abject Suffering exists. You're gonna be eating crow for making fun of Barbie's Horse Adventure Pals for years)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Acting as if you don't know the Illuminati secret handshake.

PM me if you need to know how to do the secret handshake

E: on a more serious note, I do actually enjoy how much sway SA still has despite being "dead" or "on the decline". It isn't just resting on reputation either, people who are vaguely familiar with Internet social circles know that goons can be, and often are, an extremely well researched and poised group to deal with.

A friend told me in passing that it was revealed recently that Chris Roberts' thing has a special ticket queue just for people who are suspected to be either goons or otherwise associated with Derek Smart. That's hilarious.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 10, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Kole: How did you like Iron Man 3?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure how much of it was spoiled for you, but the whole facade with Ben Kingsley is probably the strongest pivot in the movie. Just everything was duplicitous and none of it felt particularly weak. It's hammy and probably a hair too long, but it's such a pleasant surprise that I seriously cannot lodge any complaints towards it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Super weird anecdote time from this week's VGHD!

Hearing Zack be like "man it's weird seeing a Redhat building in SF" is weird for me because Redhat moved its HQ from NCSU's Centennial Campus (where they quarantined all of the engineering students) to the middle of downtown Raleigh. So now the Raleigh skyline has a giant, red fedora hanging on the top of it.

What I'm saying is that Linux turned the entire city of Raleigh into a Nice Guy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm just joshin' ya since I know you read the thread. I was excited to hear reactions from chris and co about it since it's just a suitably crazy cap to the whole saga. :)

You keep saying "saga" in this thread and the Barkely Gaiden guy was just on 8-4 Play, so I have no option to think about The Magical Realms of Steam: Escape From Dota2 - Revenge of CSGO: The Official Audiobook of the Forum Posts - Chapter 2 of Valve Economy SaGa.

We all know that the first one was Captian Invictius, Shut Up and Buy Hats: Gaiden

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

If you're looking for a starting episode, try the one I was on about the Maniac Mansion soundtrack (my favorite NES OST). https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio/maniac-mansion

Pat's a wonderful guy.

Thanks for linking this. I was driving home from the grocery store when the Maniac Mansion theme was spliced in on this week's WOFF and I was blown away at how catchy and good it is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

We done did an EarthBound episode of Retronauts for your 4th of July listening pleasure:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retronauts-joins-the-cult-of-earthbound

Holy smokes, GARFEP! Nice! I just had to pack away my small Earthbound shrine since I'm moving:

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, a friend just linked me this PC Gamer article on the situation and it's goddamn hilarious

Dude is completely, utterly hosed, and it's all by his own doing

I thought it was just a continuation of the CS:GO betting on pro games scene, but nope! This was a pretty good breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0

I'm really interested to see how this is going to shake out. It seems like a slam dunk from half-court type of deal. I have a strong feeling that the prosecution will be subpoenaing Youtube for his video where he's like "yeah, so like the news is totallllllly overblowing what this is really about" when he's pacing around his house.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 5, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The difficulty curve on the game is all over the map, mostly by design, though. If you're not playing with the PDF of the guide that was packed in with the game, you should track that down. Especially for a "puzzle" coming up in the next point of interest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, here's a super good mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSBo6fbXw4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Definitely, and it plays into the thematic message of "everything is easier with friends!"

When you lose Paula in the department store, it's a adjacent difficulty move (not a spike) because most of your battle verbs are now gone, but it's not particularly bad; you'd just much rather have Paula in your party. I'd consider Magicant to be the second biggest spike because some of those battles can be real touch-and-go, but yeah, the difficulty curve going into Peaceful Rest Valley looks like a skateboard quarter pipe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Take it back. I bought the Mario Kart one because it's a really good design and I race cars. Definitely gonna wear it around the paddock. :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hmm, looks like Valve hath spoken:

quote:

"Using the OpenID API and making the same web calls as Steam users to run a gambling business is not allowed by our API nor our user agreements," Valve's Erik Johnson said in a statement. "We are going to start sending notices to these sites requesting they cease operations through Steam, and further pursue the matter as necessary. Users should probably consider this information as they manage their in-game item inventory and trade activity."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/13/12179462/valve-csgo-betting-sites-shut-down-steam

I've always found it a bit weird how slow Valve is to react in general, but it is an insanely huge company. Glad they made their stance incredibly clear (eventually).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Personnel vs customer base, at least. I thought that they had closer to 1k employees total, especially because they've been trying to break into the hardware game for 4-5 years now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

exquisite tea posted:

Are there any podcasts/channels out there that get really into the analytics of how a game was made and the stories surrounding its production history? Ideally with one presenter reading from a script instead of two dudes trying to make jokes for an hour.

Designer Notes, Playscape LA, and stuff like Double Fine Adventure come to mind.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

There are so many cool things I have in common with the pope that it's hard to choose a favorite but not liking Undertale might be the best.

On a more real note, big thanks to Gary and Kole last week for making moving stuff out of my garage not 100% awful. It was 100F out, heat index definitely breaking north of 115F, 110% humidity, moving big and heavy stuff such as spare motor (400lbs) and transmission (90lbs) while listening to some Duckfeed stuff. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE, but you guys got me through the Tuesday & Wednesday podcast drought. :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

C-Euro posted:

I am surprised, and slightly worried, about how many of those video game SFX I was able to guess correctly on the newest Retronauts. Especially for games I haven't played in 20 years, or never played at all!

(if you do that again please turn the quiz music way down TIA)

All of the Megadrive/Genesis ones were throwaways for me, but yeah, it was a shockingly fun Retronauts.

I momentarily got it confused with last week's 8-4 Play where they showed off the special edition SFC 3DS LL where it plays random sound clips, and none of them could identify the Super Mario Kart "Choose Your Driver" jingle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know I'm probably opening up Pandora's Box, but #yolo or whatever the tumblr teens are saying these days (or my monthly 401k statement, not joking).

I haven't finished this week's episode of Abject Suffering on South Park, but it is incredibly cathartic to hear you two reinforce your beliefs that taking a stance and giving a poo poo in contrast to both South Park and the culture that it has fostered. Doubly so after reading Jeb Lund's piece about Gawker's demise and being in the middle of a bunch of hot rear end takes everywhere this week.

I appreciate all of the good pods you Duckfeed boys put out. :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Is it fascism yet posted:

I got like 150 TF2 hours.

Them presenting their take is OK but in this one they totally misrepresented the game by getting lost on every map, not bothering to learn them or the game. They spent most of the time talking about the lore and godawful PVE modes, which they liked best. It's incredibly lazy and totally misses why people play the game.

OK, I have 1K+ hours in TF2 and it was fine.

I didn't have time (yay moving plus race car garbage) to play or write in, but I was into the comp scene for a solid 2 years and nothing that they said or didn't say was some grand offense. Did you skip 10 minutes into the episode and miss their "YO WE ARE FILTHY CASUALS" warning?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In the episode, both of them are like "Hydro is loving dreadful".

FILTHY CASUALS KNOW ABOUT THE ANCIENT SECRET KNOWLEDGE OF US OLD TIMERS AND HOW MUCH HYDRO CAN DIE IN A FIRE!!! OH NO!!!!

Can I return this week's episode of WOFF For a Steam refund? Please advise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a podcast forum, son.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AS? What about VGHD with Zack describing slicing off his finger with a Harry's Razor?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyone have iOS podcast app recommendations? After years of Podcast.app, I'm ready to throw it into the sun for being super unreliable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a janky piece of poo poo that's more interested in having you check out the Podcast Store or whatever.

The RSS grabber will just sometimes not work. The app frequently decides that it's done for right now. It's either super aggressive or super passive about podcast behavior (oh you have 2 unlistened episodes of TAL, I'm gonna do you a solid and stop downloading them for you!). The indexing is super bad. Downloading more than 2 podcasts at one time over wifi? You loving mad man.

The podcast app back in iPhone 3G/4 days wasn't too bad, but it's gotten progressively worse over time. It was fine when it was within iTunes/Music/whatever it used to be, but when it split off as its own individual thing, it was pretty bad v1.0 app. It's gotten better, but it's like saying that this poo poo sandwich isn't that bad because you've added sprouts and dijon mustard to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, I forgot that Music used to be called iPod on the iPhone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
These games are read only.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been painting a car, so I decided to start listening to Bonfire Side Chat when I don't want to scratch the backlog of TAL.

I love timeless podcasts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm down to listen to a WoW podcast like that. Make sure your mic isn't poo poo, and I'm in.

I enjoyed my time with WoW, but he prospect of rejoining it is like a cliff face of EVE-like proportions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A literal child has beaten Gary and Kole to Chrono Trigger. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bug Squash posted:

Philistine, this is Chrono Trigger 4, a new an better game. Gary and Kole will probably be covering it in the new year when Watch Out for Lens Flare comes back.

Chrono Trigger 4 was called Chrono Trigger 2 in the US.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Confirmed: Retronauts CliffyB exclusive.

On a more serious note, I guess with IBM being up the road (and RTP being developed around the IBM campus decades ago), there should be a massive knowledge pool about mini and micro computers in the area. Congrats on rolling out (and hitting) the new Patreon goals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa, two podcasts I listen to brought up Game Informer and Funcoland this week.

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They finally pulled it off...

I guess life does find a way.