Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

was wonderful hearin chris again on that podcast, but when he was talking about valve it came across as bizarre as it always does when people talk to valve employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Popete posted:

Has there been any word from Idle Thumbs people recently? Last I saw they were working on Half Life Alyx and their game got shelved by Steam.

i got the impression the voring of campo was largely their own choice, rather then some mandate handed down from valve (though clearly not a universal one), and the dudes seem pretty content where they're at. would be very surprised if people who worked on video games all day wanted to come home and talk about more video games.

nowadays waypoint has largely filled the old thumbs niche for me. austin and rob are my favorite games talkin guys around right now.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

if you're into videos of games, old man remo has started a daily nyt crossword on his channel replacing the (mercilessly culled) spelunky dailies of yore.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

drat, waypoint crew is solid, but austin is definitely the reason i'm there. been a good run for him though, real curious to see more details on the new gig.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

erstwhile thumbs are doing the same things they've been doing for years: working on video games at valve, most recently alyx & aperture desk job.

for game podcasts i think the only thing i listen to is game studies study buddies. it's monthly, and tightly focused on a specific piece of video game(ish) academic writing, so it's not going to be for everyone, but if you're into more structured stuff like this they've got a bevy of other podcasts in the same vein. the homestuck podcast even heavy features this very forum! prestigious!

noah gervais makes video essays that are honorary podcasts.

for random chitchat i just got streams on in the background nowadays :sweatdrop:

Chas McGill posted:

Is anyone doing anything like A Life Well Wasted? Stories about people who make games, subcultures etc. Failing that - a 99% Invisible but for games?

no idea about podcasts, but this stuff is fairly common on youtube. there's even a channel directly called people make games, but it's got a heavy lean towards depressing analysis of systemic problems rather then dives into specific creators or whatev. good channel tho. watched the vid about a second life brothel recently & you would not believe how big the asses are.

edit: actually, scratch that, the asses are exactly as big as you'd expect. what's unbelievable is that people will put up with playing second life, because the loading times required to do anything look fuckin, like, biblically maddening