Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright. I just started watching this LP, so now I've got two The Witness LP's to scream at. After watching the first few videos of the other one, I grabbed a copy for myself and played through it all last weekend. I've now "beaten" the game (gotten both endings) and have solved a poo poo-ton of the puzzles (496+109+3). I'll probably be more active commenting on this one, since the other one is much closer to completion. I'll do my darndest to avoid spoilering you guys, but I'm definitely available to try and prod you in the right direction.

PS I'm not ashamed to say I have been using a guide to assist with finding some of the environmental puzzles, both because some of them are hidden spectacularly well, and because I am awful at spotting the negative space puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

In answer to your question as to game length, ~450 puzzles and beating the game took me about 20 hours. That being said, I'm an aspie, which gives me a natural advantage at these kinds of games, and I wasn't solving puzzles by democracy, which may or may not be an advantage.

Also, some pointers on the subject of environmental puzzles:
1) Literally anything can be an environmental puzzle. If it looks like a circle connected to a line, or what might be such if squinted at from the right angle, it's almost certainly an environmental puzzle. A pillar you will encounter later really slams this one home.
2) There is a visual cue if you're at an environmental puzzle's endpoint. You don't have to click it finished to check whether or not it's complete.
3) More stuff that I will reveal when it's relevant and you've sort of figured it out on your own.:smug:

Finally, I actually haven't yelled at the screen much at all with you guys. The main thing that gets me with the other LP is their inconsistent memories of puzzle mechanics. The rules never change dammit!:argh:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

It didn't even click in my mind that I could set that bridge at the end there to be completely extended until I saw the other LP do it, so I had to wait forever for it to switch sides anytime I wanted to cross.

Also spam musubi is fantastic cheap food. I estimate it costs me maybe $1 to make 2 of them.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you guys at this point is not to overthink things. Regardless of how absurdly complicated the puzzles can get, the puzzle mechanics are extremely simple. If a puzzle, particularly one where the solution is external to the puzzle board, seems impossible, then you're probably approaching it wrong. To take those shadow puzzles for an example: If the start point is covered by a shadow, you should probably follow the shadows. If the start point isn't covered by a shadow, you should probably avoid the shadows. Remember that and it should save you guys a bunch of time and let you make more progress each video.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Did anyone else get a horrible flashback and start profusely cursing Jonathan Blow when they said the clouds were moving?
I actually lucked out and timed it just about perfectly on complete accident. Just FYI homph, I believe exactly one cloud is moving, and as should be obvious by this point, because it is different, it is important.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

ManicVolcanic posted:

Not that bridge, anyway.
Now that does trigger my JoBlow PTSD.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Bruceski posted:

I think they mean the Braid star.
Environmental puzzles actually.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm so glad I realized before tackling those two puzzles that they were completely optional. That being said, once I figured out what I was supposed to do with them, they were fairly easy for me. I just took screenshots under all three light colors, labeled cells in excel with the appropriate combinations of R, G, and B depending on if each symbol was white under those colors or not, and then used that as my key. Much easier than looking between three separate grids and comparing them.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

The puzzles across the room were the first time I cursed JoBlo's name, mostly because I was tired when I got to them, and the moment I realized what was going on, I decided I was not okay with this poo poo. Also, I look forward to seeing if you're able to solve this room faster than the other LP. If I recall correctly, it took them something like an hour and a half.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

The wrapping on those pillars does make them quite difficult when you first encounter them. This isn't the first time you've seen this kind of puzzle (as far as it showing up on your screen goes), but this is the first time your attention is called to them.

cant cook creole bream posted:

You still haven't found the thing yet.

Edit: Huh, So this is my new name now? Okay then.
The thing is sort of post-game. Just so long as both the thing and especially the thing within the thing are shown and experienced before this LP ends I'll be happy.

I actually need to take another swing at doing said thing within the thing.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

You found the thing! Now you just need to cry yourself to sleep after solving all the puzzles down there (Spoilers:They do nothing.) and find the other thing. THe other thing will prompt even more crying and an intense burning hatred of a certain famous song.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

frozentreasure posted:

many, many words
tl;dr: Antichamber is good, play it. People expect Portal from first-person puzzle games. Jonathon Blow is a pretentious rear end.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm going to say this real quick, since it bugged me when the other LP kept trying to solve them, but those puzzles above the "inner sanctum" are all examples of impossible puzzles.
Also:

Jesse posted:

This is like, uh.. we're in hell. We're in literal hell.

me, crying brokenly posted:

You have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Most of my attempts at the challenge end with me running around the maze in a panic, scrambling to find those puzzles.

And you know 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' was specifically chosen for its frantic pace and panic-inducing nature.

• Locked thread