Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh the nostalgia in this thread is great. Seeing all this crap again from my years of lurking.

I also never new Lowtax was patient zero for the meme epidemic infecting the Internet. I will just assume from now on that everything terrible online somehow started with SA or Lowtax. Stop ruining the Internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
File dated 2003

I have way more on my desktop, but it's been in a box for 2 years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I could totally see this wending it's way through social media with increasingly strident outrage for a week or two until people find out its a Photoshop.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just realized that both the uniform and that room look eerily from my elementary school

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I'd managed to repress the image of the yoda fleshlight from my mind, thanks for bringing it back

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Claverjoe posted:

I could totally see this wending it's way through social media with increasingly strident outrage for a week or two until people find out its a Photoshop.

Shame about the watermark

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You say that like any of the pearl clutchers would visit somethingawful.com and not be outraged.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Interesting so something awful invented putting text on pictures? Good to know, thanks Lowtax

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you laugh but there was a time when we were literally on the breaking edge of the wave that is internet stupidity. now we're jaded and post-post-modern about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Back in 2001 or whatever, I decided to add vB code that would automatically post an "image macro," which is what the KIDS THESE DAYS call "memes." As far as I know, we were one of the first forums, if not the first forum, to do this. This makes me very sad and ashamed to admit there's a possibility we are responsible for the wasteland of internet meme poo poo we currently live in, but hey, here's all the original ones that kicked everything off (as far as I know):

I disabled the ability to post these image macros shortly thereafter.

The OP is alphabetical order. Anybody else notice this?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Oh yeah and this one

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Kerro posted:

Oh yeah and this one

Oh man I miss the captain rapeface.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Node posted:

I've thought the same thing about image macros being the original "meme." I have a folder where I saved all I could back in those innocent years, .. over 650 of them. Jesus Christ, what is wrong with me.

its okay jpegs are worth way more than beanie babies :shobon:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

china bot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I...I don't believe it...a Le Châtelier's principle macro....after all this time...

tintin1983
May 17, 2003
TOO DUMB TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POST AND REPLY
Who did the edited air safety flyer? I think that's what got me to pony up for an account.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Did "Babies vs Liquid Boron" originate from SA?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

.avi, what a savage world we lived in back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bV9iNStEI

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I never got why somebody would give their book about WWII oddities a name that would alienate almost everyone old enough to be interested in a book about WWII oddities.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

gender illusionist posted:

how's about a 56k warning next time? cripes, you guys are assholes

56k not without my daughter

Thanks, image shack! (Wow we filter out that word haha)

Image macros are still legitimately funny. Image memes are not. Finding a picture that perfectly expresses your message was part of the magic; slapping some dumb text on the same old pictures over and over isn't funny. It's shorthand for storytelling, which is fine - but again, not funny.

Yes, I have opinions about image macros.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
loving Yes to every single pic in this thread

ive never been more proud to be a goon

does anyone have the if you like horses you will like this picture picture

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AEMINAL posted:

loving Yes to every single pic in this thread

ive never been more proud to be a goon

does anyone have the if you like horses you will like this picture picture

This is not an image macro.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

from 2003:

oh and i found this :lol: :

Tommah fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 5, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Node posted:

This is not an image macro.

Do Not Want dog transcended beyond the textual plane shortly after coming into existence within goon consciousness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thursday Next posted:

Image macros are still legitimately funny. Image memes are not. Finding a picture that perfectly expresses your message was part of the magic; slapping some dumb text on the same old pictures over and over isn't funny. It's shorthand for storytelling, which is fine - but again, not funny.

Yes, I have opinions about image macros.

What are your opinions on animated image macros? A great expansion on the original, or a terrible waste of precious phone data limits? They've been around for a while, but they just keep getting bigger and higher res.

http://i.imgur.com/0xIVKU7.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/cY3YfXx.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/QpxnOl8.gifv

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

I can't believe I've hung on to some of these for so long, or that any of us ever considered image macros so funny.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Marv Albert posted:

I can't believe I've hung on to some of these for so long, or that any of us ever considered image macros so funny.

This one is still pretty good, despite being ableist. Some of them haven't aged well at all.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Ten pages, and nobody's posted this yet??

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Marv Albert posted:

This is not a macro as Freeze, Blade and Da Flame added that caption text on their own.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm glad modern memes say "human being" less, as a rule. it's important that we as goons do not perpetuate the myth that homosexuals are necessarily bad posters.

e: i posted basically this like 9 days ago and why the hell do threads stay up longer than a week anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm glad modern memes say "human being" less, as a rule. it's important that we as goons do not perpetuate the myth that homosexuals are necessarily bad posters.

e: i posted basically this like 9 days ago and why the hell do threads stay up longer than a week anyway.

"human being" was the turn-of-the-millennium "cuck"

• Locked thread