Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 3: Well, this sure is an Araki/Okouchi show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ayame: owns

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also cool, they got an american guy as an engineer, i dont mind a bit of diversity in the side characters

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'm enjoying this show and I hope everyone has a safe train ride and learns to get along.

The way episode 3 ended I'm not getting my hopes up for any of that soon.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 3: Well, this sure is an Araki/Okouchi show.
Based on the shows the OP listed in their filmography, I can only assume this means the entire cast transforms into super-deformed chibi versions of themselves and the focus transitions to a heartwarming, slice-of-life comedy. A surprising direction, to be sure, but the Noitamina block is nothing if not experimental.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Based on the shows the OP listed in their filmography, I can only assume this means the entire cast transforms into super-deformed chibi versions of themselves and the focus transitions to a heartwarming, slice-of-life comedy. A surprising direction, to be sure, but the Noitamina block is nothing if not experimental.

Yeah, more or less.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

a kitten posted:

Yeah, more or less.

:3:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a kitten posted:

Yeah, more or less.

she should stop playing with her food

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Geeez, whatshername the Carabinieri girl is a godawful teacher bordering on retarded. No, don't try to teach the guy you intend to be your sleep guard any actual fighting skills, jsut beat him up, wear him out and make him learn only spite. Also, don't tell him about the fact he requires blood to keep running. Nah, just let him collapse from exhaustion so that he's liable to attack a random bystander in a state of mental absence when that happens. You know, to all but guarantee another Kabane outbreak right in the camp.

That's almost criminal negligience probably borne from power-fueled apathy to everything that surrounds her. She needs to be taken down a peg to make her reevaluate, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

In non-groanworthy parts of the episode, the tempo has slowed way down, which is to be expected after the rollercoaster of the first two episodes, but at least i couldn't notice any noticeable drop in animation quality (though a lot of reused clips, which is fine for now), which is giving me hope that they've distributed their budget sensibly. Looking forward to more.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
ikoma is spite personified and i wouldnt want it any other way

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Ccs posted:

This is a fun show, very similar to Attack on Titan in general, but lots of specific touches to the world design that make it much different. I don't know how they're affording this level of production value though, and I hope it doesn't lead to plummeting quality as the series goes on. It's strange to see an action show from the noitaminA block.

I don't know when Amazon Prime licensed this series, but apparently it was the highest licensing fee ever paid for an anime series yet. Enough to cover all production costs and then some.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man as a guy who mostly watched anime in the 80s, I am digging the living hell out of this show, even if it does feel like a grab bag of genres.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i have to agree with whoever said it feels like a cheeseball 80s/90s OVA but i'm not sure totally why

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Million Ghosts posted:

i have to agree with whoever said it feels like a cheeseball 80s/90s OVA but i'm not sure totally why

Because it's hyperviolent and has lots of extremely strong emotions going on onscreen at all times.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

HenryEx posted:

Geeez, whatshername the Carabinieri girl is a godawful teacher bordering on retarded. No, don't try to teach the guy you intend to be your sleep guard any actual fighting skills, jsut beat him up, wear him out and make him learn only spite. Also, don't tell him about the fact he requires blood to keep running. Nah, just let him collapse from exhaustion so that he's liable to attack a random bystander in a state of mental absence when that happens. You know, to all but guarantee another Kabane outbreak right in the camp.

How many teenagers who are good at teaching others do you know? How many of them are also vampires???

Million Ghosts posted:

I think the Mikimoto designs are a huge part of it. When was the last time he worked on a plain old TV show?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

How many teenagers who are good at teaching others do you know? How many of them are also vampires???

I heard (and correct me if I'm wrong here) that the official website said she's freakin' twelve. That might... uhh... explain a few things.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the Mikimoto designs are a huge part of it. When was the last time he worked on a plain old TV show?

oh poo poo suddenly it all makes a lot more sense

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Three, though that was a decade ago and by now they're not teenagers anymore

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It doesn't look like Mumei is taking much of anything around her seriously, which is probably her way of coping with how miserable the world is.

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

Wow this show is cool as heck.

Finally a reason to justify my mostly useless amazon prime subscription.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I can't stop snickering at Random American Word Guy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elotana posted:

I can't stop snickering at Random American Word Guy

G-Reco did it better. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EPISODE 4 WAS THE GREATEST THING NOW DISCUSS!! :cawg:

Phobophilia posted:

ayame: owns
Ayame really loving owns now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I 'unno, something about the messaging of this show just doesn't stick right for me. Particularly with what relentlessly stupid, evil strawmen the coup faction were. There's some masterful salesmanship going on here, but what's getting sold is making me more and more uncomfortable. I keep missing how charming, human, and generous Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, for instance, managed to make its gory dark fantasy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Blood oaths are cool.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Episode four was a real step up imo. It's all very by the book but they build tension in the right ways and then give us the payoff in terms of action and beautiful people staring into the sunrise. I wish Ayame taking back power had been a more realised scene but never mind.

Darth Walrus posted:

I 'unno, something about the messaging of this show just doesn't stick right for me. Particularly with what relentlessly stupid, evil strawmen the coup faction were. There's some masterful salesmanship going on here, but what's getting sold is making me more and more uncomfortable. I keep missing how charming, human, and generous Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, for instance, managed to make its gory dark fantasy.

I get what you're saying but if you're watching a 'humanity fighting for survival against Mindless Enemy' show you run a high risk of encountering photogenic nobles doing what is right, heroic soldiers killing things and dying to protect the weak, misunderstood Great (Wo)Men overcoming weasel politicians and conspirators who seek to undermine them from within etc etc etc. I had the same problem with Sidonia but fundamentally I think that's what this kind of fantasy is actually about.

That Garo was good but it's a slightly different beast since human society continues largely unruffled by the random horror atrocities. Kabaneri's mankind is fighting for survival and the show has been knee-deep in the samurai thing since episode one when people started committing ritual suicide as a matter of course.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Do they use steam powered guns in this series? If I understand things Ikoma's innovation was to up the gunpowder charge in his nail gun.

Also Ikoooooomaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Do they use steam powered guns in this series? If I understand things Ikoma's innovation was to up the gunpowder charge in his nail gun.

Also Ikoooooomaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

It's both, I think and Ikoma's thing was ramping the whole thing up. The additional bit is that it's basically a cannon and Ikoma can really only use it and stay standing because he's a Kabaneri. Compare to when he first used it successfully and the recoil sent him flying (if I remember correctly)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It's both, I think and Ikoma's thing was ramping the whole thing up. The additional bit is that it's basically a cannon and Ikoma can really only use it and stay standing because he's a Kabaneri. Compare to when he first used it successfully and the recoil sent him flying (if I remember correctly)

He was already on the ground, wrestling with the kabane. So we have no clue yet whether a normal human can handle the recoil.
I'm also not really sure what the combination of gun powder and steam is exactly doing.

-e-
It seems like it's shooting shaped charges?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 6, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darth Walrus posted:

garo: honoo no kokuin was a hidden gem

i kind of found it ridiculous how all the main char's human buddies were all hanging out unprotected on top of that train. should've stayed inside so they don't get turned by surprise zombies

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lurking Haro posted:

He was already on the ground, wrestling with the kabane. So we have no clue yet whether a normal human can handle the recoil.
I'm also not really sure what the combination of gun powder and steam is exactly doing.

-e-
It seems like it's shooting shaped charges?

he's doing something like shaping the steam itself into a piercing bullet of sorts (in order to not get the shot blocked by the kabane's iron heart cage like the regular lead rounds) iirc

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I haven't watched something with such crazy action and violence in awhile, but I'm pretty much loving this so far.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i had been under the impression his gun was like a pile driver, not a projectile

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I basically call his gun the Big O at this point.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i had been under the impression his gun was like a pile driver, not a projectile

nah it only sorta looks like one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I loved this episode because 'people who think they know better than everyone else creating far greater tragedies when they capitalize on everyone's unhappiness with the current system' is extremely my poo poo.

I'm not saying they're wrong about keeping them in their own car or anything, poo poo, I wouldn't be comfortable with them sticking around every second of every day like they're actually people. I think that being their room for when it's time to sleep is cool though.

Cake Attack posted:

I'm pretty sure it shot through that logo/standard/cloth whatever when he first got it working though right?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I loved this episode because 'people who think they know better than everyone else creating far greater tragedies when they capitalize on everyone's unhappiness with the current system' is extremely my poo poo.

I'm not saying they're wrong about keeping them in their own car or anything, poo poo, I wouldn't be comfortable with them sticking around every second of every day like they're actually people. I think that being their room for when it's time to sleep is cool though.

I'm pretty sure it shot through that logo/standard/cloth whatever when he first got it working though right?

Yeah, it still covered some distance. During his first test we see also burning paper, so it can't be steam alone.
They talked about increasing the cavity along with the explosives, which made me think shaped charge or something like a HEAT projectile.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

RareAcumen posted:

yep, it's not a piledriver

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lurking Haro posted:

Yeah, it still covered some distance. During his first test we see also burning paper, so it can't be steam alone.
They talked about increasing the cavity along with the explosives, which made me think shaped charge or something like a HEAT projectile.

superheated steam can set things on fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9uvIhgVz04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Condiv posted:

superheated steam can set things on fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9uvIhgVz04

A jet of super heated steam would be awesome, but would it leave such a huge dent in a steel plate?
Also thanks for the video.

• Locked thread