Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Round 2:

Chloe Cartwright, the Angel: What have you done recently to prepare for this disaster that that Sam foresaw?

Well I'm not sure what I could do. According to what I can figure out whatevers coming is going to be big. Real big. Like 40 days of rain followed by floods big or plagues of locusts big or even kill off all the firstborn big. We're talking real old-fashioned biblical poo poo coming down. So unless you know a forty day course in boat building out there or have surviving a famine for dummies on your book shelf I'm not sure how you can prepare. Hasn't stopped me trying I guess but that might just be how stupidly stubborn I am. So i've been kind of busy reading up on proper first aid you can bet whatever happens it's going to end up with people getting hurt and I'd like to be able help out if I can where I can.

quote:

Who's trying to be your friend now, that would never have associated with you before the accident? Who got into a fight with you recently, and quickly learned to regret it?

Funny you should mention that I did get in a fight the other day Mary Goodwin was getting some poo poo as usual. She's like my complete opposite. Her family are regular church goers always making a big song and dance about being holier than thou, So of course she was getting a lot of poo poo from the usual suspects led by what's her face. Err tall redhead Lucy Walters dunno what she'd done that set them off but with those pricks it could be anything. I've never liked bullies but normally I'd just leave that poo poo alone but I dunno. I've got like an archangel squatting in my skull and I survived something that should have killed me. Maybe I have a second chance to do something good for a change. So I got involved. Seems your average bully is less brave when they know someone's going to fight back. As for Lucy she learned two valuable lessons. Don't insult anyone where I'm around and that a mean right hook to the stomach is goddamn painful. (I'm proud of the second one.) Since then she's been pathetically grateful offering to help me with my homework or share food she's brought from home. It's kind of amazing to be rewarded for doing the right thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

AdjectiveNoun posted:

When was one time you were almost caught pretending to be someone else? How did you get out of that situation?

Remember Mike? Cool dude, lent me his clothes, helped me find out what I could do? One of the first things I decided to do was help him out. Least I could do, right? So Mike's popular, nice, on the football team...just about has it all. Except he had a crush on this girl but for some reason could not get the nerve to approach her himself. I don't get it. Even if he was visibly nervous, just him being him would probably have been enough for her to say yes to a date or whatever.

Anyway, I put on his clothes after school one day and decide to talk to this girl for him. I figure I get her interested, and then she goes after Mike on her own and it'll work out from there right? Except that I ran into his friends who were waiting for him so they could all go out together. Aside from not knowing them too well, it was going to be obvious something was wrong if Mike came by and didn't see them and did something like text them or whatever. But they were all ready to go, and delaying it just meant there would be a chance of Mike showing up while I'm pretending to be him.

How did I get out it? I might have had to embarrass the poor guy. I eventually just blurted the first thing I thought of: "I HAVE TO GO TALK TO A GIRL BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" Then I ran off. I think I heard them laughing in surprise, but I got out of there before it was too late. I talked to the girl and pretended like I was striking up a conversation before I had to head out. The good thing is that it worked - she talked to him later, he got to ask her out, all was well. Still not sure what his friends think of that weird outburst or him presumably coming back a bit earlier then they thought he would, but nobody seems suspicious about anything so I guess it worked out.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Which of your friends invited you to a sleepover, and why did it end up going wrong?

That was when Sylvia invited me and some other people for one. So there we were, staying up late as Slyvia's parents were out for the night. We were having fun and I noticed a certain Todd Smith eying me through the night. So time passes, we get a little drunk, and before you know it, me and Todd are making out in the kitchen. Pretty nice. Except that Slyvia walked in. Now, Slyvia is kind of cool, but she has this problem of being a bit of a gossip. So Todd sees her, shoves me off him, and starts acting like I came onto him and just kissed him out of nowhere. We managed to keep everyone else at the party from finding about the situation, but somehow Todd now has a reputation of maybe possibly being gay. He is...not thrilled about it. Or about me either.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What was one time where you pretending to be someone had an unintended positive consequence, and what was it?

So there's this guy, Kevin, who was the kind of person that liked to pretend to be nice in public but show his true colors to a select few people. Me being one of them. So I figured I'd take his clothes, pretend to be him, and just be a terrible person in public. I managed to put off a lot of his friends, and now he has the right reputation. Good, right? Well...not quite. See, turns out some other terrible people thought he was now great and made friends with him. And so now they encourage him to be a terrible person all the time, he likes them, and overall it actually worked out for him. So much for that idea.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Levi Lechance, the Werewolf

Yes, I'm one of those Lechances. The Alabama branch -- the ones who left Louisiana for somewhere a little whiter? They spawned Governor Lechance back in the '60's and who knows how many police chiefs, state senators, prison directors, and ROTC recruits since. They've always loved power as much as they love money, you see.

My father didn't care about power, and that's probably why he disowned them. The reason on paper is that he married my mother, a... oh, Christ, I can barely say this. A "quadroon." How is that even a word? Her grandfather was black, is the point, and the Alabama Lechances are strong adherents to the one-drop rule. He wouldn't leave her, and that was that for him. I never knew them until... well, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Dad died when I was seven, pretty suddenly, and Mom never gave me all the details. I think it must have been a car accident? After he died, we moved back to North Carolina to be close to Mom's family and her old friends from art school. Mom was busy hustling to sell her prints and do freelance design work to keep the lights on, so I was kind of raised by my grandparents and by the Asheville starving-artist scene. It sounds tough, but we got by okay. Mom has a lot of good friends, and Grandma and Grandpa Calhoun are some of the best people I've ever meet. They're worth a hundred Lechances.

The problem is that I got the Lechance curse. Gift. Whatever you call it.

It first hit me when I was thirteen, on a night Mom and I were staying over at my kinda-stepdad Barry's place out in the country. It was a full moon, and I guess that's a no-bullshit big deal for what I have, because... it just drew me outside after Mom and Barry were asleep, and I changed. It felt amazing. Barry's got a couple acres of scrub woods out there, and I think I just ran around all night. It wasn't like the stories, where you wake up covered in blood and cuts; all the stains were from spring mud. Still, when Mom came to wake me up and saw me curled up on the floor, muddy, leaves in my hair... she knew. She told me that Dad told her this might happen, and that I'd have to be ready for the Lechances to come around if it did.

And they did. They came around with big smiles, firm handshakes, and a lot of earnest "man-to-man" talks about how I was the "Inheritor," the future of the family. They were happy to take me into the fold, pay my way, set me up for my destiny as the next great bearer of the Lechance name. All I had to do was accept it.

You know what I did? I looked at my sleazy uncles, and I thought gently caress you. When I was just your nephew who was one-eighth black, you thought I was a monster, but you're welcoming me in now that I'm a goddamn werewolf? gently caress all of you to Hell and back.

And then I accepted.

The way I see it -- and the way I sold it to Mom -- is that I'll take their money, as long as they're giving it. Lechance money and power can probably get me into any school I want, maybe even graduate school if I want it, and once I've got my education I can be a goddamn ghost in the wind. Why not rip them off for all they're worth? They all but said I'm the only Inheritor, or the only one under fifty, anyway. Who's gonna stop me from taking their money and running? My lovely uncles? I'd have their throats ripped out in a second.

The only hitch is that they made me go to Anderson. They tell me it's a "proving ground," somewhere that Inheritors can "develop their strength" without any unpleasant consequences like, I'm guessing, cops or investigations or expulsions. A place where enough money means you get away with whatever you want. You know what that means, though? It means there are assholes everywhere, lovely racists and abusers from families like the Lechances, and there won't be any questions asked if they get a taste of their own medicine. Maybe I can make things around this shithole a little safer for the people who really matter.

quote:

The Werewolf
Look: Rugged, fierce eyes
Origin: Ancestral power

Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 0

Moves:

Scent of Blood
Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll. On a 7-9, ask one:
* Where’s my best escape route or way in?
* Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
* What’s their secret weakness?
* What poses the biggest threat to me?
* Who’s in control here?

Smiting (from Angel)
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Questions:

1. A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.

Okay, look, I know everyone at boarding school is a lovely roommate somehow. I could probably stand to clean more. But Dean Standish, the kid they have me rooming with, is something different. He has a mini-fridge full of medications, all with legit-looking pharmacy labels, but none of the names are real -- I checked the Internet. He spends two hours in the dining hall every meal, mashing his food into a paste. He's always got his headphones on, but he's never listening to music or watching anything. Half the time, he's already left when I wake up in the morning, and I get up at like 5:30 to go run and take a shower before the bathrooms get slammed. I'm not sure I've ever seen him sleep in his bed, although the sheets are always messed up. What the hell is going on?

2. A place in the neighbourhood you know.

There are a lot of parks around here, but there's also a really good greenbelt around here with some running and bike trails -- I think it's called the Edwards Greenbelt? It's kind of overgrown, though, so the tree canopy blocks the light, and the trails are usually covered with flowers or fruit. Or pinecones. Wear good shoes.

3. A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school

I run for fitness, but my big hobby is ceramics. No, before you ask, I don't make bongs, okay? Just regular sculpture and some pottery-wheel stuff when I have the chance. I picked it up from a college friend of Mom's I used to go stay with after school, and... it's really relaxing. It's satisfying to make something real with your own two hands.

4. Optionally, a title for the IC (In-Character) thread

Dixiehearts: Where Strings are King and Men are Chattel

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 29, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Round 1
Holly Winters, the Witch: Does anyone in your family know about your magic - or even that you practice something, even if they're not sure what it is? If so, what do they think? If not, how have you been able to hide it from them?

How have I been able to hide it? It's called being a middle child. Seriously, I get pretty decent grades, I keep my head down at school because all the drama there is dumb and high school doesn't really matter to me, and I'm home before curfew, and I'm pretty subtle with the backtalk - pretty sure my parents wish my brothers were more like me, if anything. That said, my siblings both think I'm surly or whatever - and I think Zach's too into football, and Eric's too into being a punk. Not like the cool music kind either, he's just a little poo poo. Pretty sure I have enough goodwill with my parents built up that they've written off some of my weirder magical pursuits as 'being a teenager', which is fine for me.

Plus, I'm not dumb enough to practice in my bedroom or anything like that. One of the very first things I figured out how to do, magically was create my own Umbral plane, and I linked it to my bedroom's closet. Since you can't really comprehend magic I just sort of have to sum up what it is instead of explaining the hows and whys, but in essence it's a projection of what I envisioned a perfect magical study as onto a realm of pure possibility, accessible by stepping sideways in weak places in the Earth's dimensional barrier or at specially prepared locations, like Stonehenge, or my bedroom closet. It's just about perfect, it's always night there - equal odds between thunderstorms, gentle rain, and breezy full moon outside - and its also a fully loaded library with my favorite snacks, comfortable places to read, and an old phonograph that automatically plays whatever it is I'd like to be listening to, even if I wasn't sure myself. So yeah, as astoundingly amazing and secret as my Umbral Realm is, why would I practice magic or store reagents in the real world?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

How do you study magic? How has it complicated your life? How has it made your life more convenient?

It's very, very, very complicated, you can't possibly understand it. I mean, if I had to sum up, it'd be... furthering my understanding of the interactions between perception, myself, the universe, leylines that seemingly underpin and link creation, and the weird fragments at the very edge of understanding, which is mostly accomplished by in-depth study, divinations, careful practice with spells I've mastered and those I'm still learning, and lastly a form of meditation that borders on communing directly with the All that is the universe. That make sense? Thought not.

Anyways, it's complicated my life because what I call judicious preparation and acquiring reagents, other people call theft. A girl named Samantha was bullying me last year, and I sort of made things worse when she spotted me breaking into her locker... which, to be fair, I was doing in order to curse her, so probably a smart move on her part to object violently to it. That's not to say it's always bad, though - in addition to my umbral study, I'm literally a fricking witch. Cursing people, seeing magic, some telekinesis and pyrokinesis and object reading and other cantrips like that... trust me, I'd never go back to the way I was before this. I'm powerful, even if other people don't know it yet, and I'm learning more each and every day.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What does the magic community (if there are enough to even call it a community) think of you?

The only person I know of around here that's magical aside from me is Ms. Verbena, who I already mentioned. And, like I said, she's impressed by my talent from what I can tell, and she asked me if I wanted her to teach me magic on top of Honors Chemistry, which I turned down. I don't want high school and its drama getting mixed in with my study of magic in any way... aside from me cursing people occasionally, but that's unavoidable. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't trust her for whatever reason. As things stand though, neither of us is likely to try and tattle on the other, and I've legitimately got an A in her class, so I'm not too worried about refusing her.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Which of your regular schoolmates had a crush on you, and how did that end up?

Ughhh, Noah Reed did. Pretty much the second my reputation went from being "four eyes" to "yo Holly has tits now," he started bugging me. Sitting at my lunch table, trying to partner up during history class, talking to me between classes - he even rode the bus home once next to me, even though his house is in the opposite direction from mine. Pretty sure he ended up having to walk like, eight miles to get home. And yeah, don't get me wrong... I guess it was flattering? Maybe I was too harsh on him, now that I think back on it. See, he kept bugging me, and I mostly just wanted him to leave me alone and stop staring at me all the time. So, uh, the first love note he gave me, or that I ever got in general? I may have burned it, then dumped the ashes on a sigil. Since he'd signed it himself it had sufficient sympathy, sooo... the hex I had in mind definitely worked, his lucky was unbelievably lovely for the next month. I didn't feel too bad until he got hit by that car and had to spend a month in the hospital, which feels a bit like it's my fault. Still, he's doing a lot better now, he's not even using crutches this school year! And he's dating some girl that kept visiting him in the hospital from what I understand, so maybe actually me hexing him worked out for the best?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Jill Miller, the Ghost: What kind of 'lessons' do you teach people?
Oh, dear. Well. Sometimes, people just... deserve a fright. It's not like I could do much else to them, most of the time, back before I had a body again. I'd just get... mad. And I'd want to make whoever was acting that way feel what it was like to be helpless and terrorised. It sounds mean when I say it like that. I can't really help it, when something just hits me like that, though. I'd follow them around, move their things, cause strange noises around them, hide some of their belongings... If I did things like that for long enough, and got angry enough, sometimes I'd be able to do... more. I'd start to leave wet footsteps that people would notice later. I could move objects around more forcefully. Once or twice, someone actually saw me. I... don't know what exactly I looked like back then, when I was invisible, but it must have been pretty bad. I never quite got to actually trying to... really trying to hurt someone. Even if I thought about it.

I haven't gotten that mad since I got my body back. I've never felt vengeful enough to want to hurt someone, at least! Maybe that means I'm getting better.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

When has one of these backfired on you?

Okay, that wasn't my fault. I misunderstood. I didn't know things were like that for that girl, okay? I didn't know how hard things were for her already. I just thought she was... I can't think straight about someone when they remind me of those boys like that. I went a bit too far, and she had a bit of a... well, a breakdown over it, and everyone thought she was crazy. She left school, and she didn't come back, and later I heard some of what her home life was like. I could think clearly again by that point, and I could feel bad.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Who's decided to target you recently, and why?
Me? No one should want to target me. I'm still figuring things out, so I just try to stay quiet out of the way. It's not my fault if I'm... "weird". I'm doing my best to talk how people talk now, and dress how people dress now, and just be a normal girl. No one should come after me for that. Hester Lancaster. Now that's a funny name! But no one makes fun of her; it's just her making fun of me for not knowing how things work. Making people laugh at me. Asking me everyday if I have a cellphone yet, pretending like she's my friend. It doesn't sound like much, but it's mean; it's meant to be mean! She's trying to make me upset, but I'm trying really hard not to be. I don't want to do that kind of thing anymore, I don't want to be a ghost, I just want to be a normal girl!

She makes it very hard, sometimes.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Who from your past, aside from those four boys, do you see regularly?

One of the janitors is an old man named Tim. He's old enough that he probably should have retired years ago, but he still shows up every day. Even though he can be a bit slow on his feet sometimes, he seems to know just about everything about the campus. Even though some of the students laugh at him behind he's back, he always seems to be friendly to everyone, and he'll help you out if you really need it. It just kills me, sometimes, that someone like him's stuck working as a janitor, while Mr. Grifter is up in his comfortable office in charge of everything. I... I try not to think about it too hard.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What were they to you?
He was six when I died. And he can't know me -- even if we do have the same last name, it's not that uncommon, right? Not with how I look now. It's hard seeing your younger brother look so... old, though. Like, it makes me remember all the time I've lost. It makes me feel like I don't belong here, and I almost wish I'd just disappear again.

Almost. For a minute or two.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Going to stop at 2 questions for everyone, to make sure everyone gets equal exposure, even those who applied closer to the end.

Question 1:

Alexander MacEarly, the Troll: How do you explain your healing so quickly? What happened to John and the redhead you were with? What did your father demand from you when he got you shipped here instead of juvie? Do you plan to do what he wants? What do you think the consequences of your response will be? What do you know about the relationship of your father and uncle - are they friendly or not? What do you think of him?

Levi LeChance, the Werewolf: Can you describe what it feels like to change? What makes it amazing? How did the LeChances justify their new treatment of you to outsiders? When's one time that you changed in complicated circumstances? What happened, and how did it affect you? What demands have the LeChances made of you recently, expecting you to fulfill them? Do you plan to? What do you think the consequences of your response will be?

Sam Moreau, the Firestarter: Who do you think tried to break you? Why would they try to do that? Why do you think they sent you here? What trap do you think they've arranged for you? How do you plan to escape and/or get revenge? What do you think of the people in this school? Who do you think is on 'their' side? Who do you know isn't? What's your plan?

Question 2:

Holly Winters, the Witch: When's one time a hex backfired on you? Do you know why/how it backfired? Which Reagant do you want to get, but haven't been able to yet? Who really wants you to join their club, and why won't they take no for an answer? Where do you see yourself in ten years?

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Ugh. Something came up. I'm not going to have time to finish my app. Sorry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Alexander MacEarly, the Troll: How do you explain your healing so quickly?

It doesn't come up much, but usually I just play it off as whatever they thought they saw not having been as bad as it looked. Eventually someone with a real medical background's gonna catch on, and that makes me really nervous, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What happened to John and the redhead you were with?

What, Diane? Never heard from her again. Suppose her family probably came down on her too. drat shame, she was pretty cute and had a sense of humor. John and I still email back and forth now and then but he's still freaked out over the whole 'cutting my hand in half' bullshit so we're not as close as we used to be. Maybe he'll come around in time.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What did your father demand from you when he got you shipped here instead of juvie?

He made me promise to stay out of trouble with the law, and obey the teachers. Said he's still got friends here and they'll let him know if I screw with him. He wants me to make something of myself, go to college and be a lawyer like he used to be and quit 'wasting my life'.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Do you plan to do what he wants?

I'm done getting arrested, if that's what you mean, but gently caress the rest. I don't need him judging me, and his money isn't worth pretending to be his little wish fulfillment project and stage prop for campaign photos.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What do you think the consequences of your response will be?

Dunno. A shitstorm most likely. Probably get cut off and have to pay for college myself if I even decide to go.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What do you know about the relationship of your father and uncle - are they friendly or not?

Definitely not. Uncle Rory's an embarrassment as far as Dad's concerned. I got an earful about how I should look at him and see what happens to men with no ambition who waste their lives on the way down here. I don't think they've spoken a word directly to each other since I was a kid, other than to humor Grandma. I asked Rory about it, a couple days after I got here, and he just eyed me for a minute then shrugged and muttered something about fools and money.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What do you think of him?

I'm not sure, really. I think I like him. He doesn't say much, but he's good with his hands and doesn't bitch at me constantly about whatever way I've failed to live up to his standards today.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 29, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Quick OOC note: I switched Levi's bonus point from Hot to Dark to make him not completely blow at Heightened Senses. This is all.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Levi LeChance, the Werewolf: Can you describe what it feels like to change? What makes it amazing? How did the LeChances justify their new treatment of you to outsiders? When's one time that you changed in complicated circumstances? What happened, and how did it affect you? What demands have the LeChances made of you recently, expecting you to fulfill them? Do you plan to? What do you think the consequences of your response will be?

It's really hard to understand changing if you haven't experienced it, but I'll give it a shot. You know that old cliche about how "pain is weakness leaving the body?" Changing really is the feeling of weakness leaving the body, except without the pain part. It's just... power entering you, flowing through you, turning you into something beyond human. All your senses get sharper (even sight, although I don't think wolves see that well?), and the world just becomes... intense. Beautiful. Open to you. It's like how burnouts describe dropping acid, except acid can't feel this good, or be this real.

How do they justify accepting me now? Well, they don't. Just because I'm the Inheritor doesn't mean I have to be acknowledged to the old family friends who knew about my father getting disowned, and I think they sold me as some long-lost cousin to the Anderson people. I'm pretty sure what they really want out of me is a legbreaker, real or metaphorical. Maybe they'll acknowledge me if I get into law school or something like that, but right now, it's public radio silence.

A complicated circumstance, huh? Hmm. Probably the worst was my date with Anna, back at home. We had one of those long all-day weekend hang-out dates, and we ended up back at her house when I realized it was the full moon. I felt it coming over me, and... I had to pretend to be sick, which is hard when you feel fantastic, believe me. I locked myself in the guest bathroom and claimed to have terrible food poisoning. I made the noises as long as I could, and then I said I just needed privacy? It was a bad, stupid lie, but it bought me the night, and Anna's parents weren't home to do something sensible like call an ambulance about the boy locked in their guest bathroom. I even splashed water around to "clean up." There wasn't another date after that, but... it could have been worse. We're still friends. She doesn't know. The lesson I took from it was to be very, very careful about the moon, even though these days it doesn't rule me as much as it used to, and -- to be able to make excuses, even stupid ones, because they're better than the alternative. This is a secret that must be kept, at all costs.

The Lechances want me to stake out a house near the old Anderson campus. It belongs to a family named the McCrackens -- parents and three children, two of high-school age, although they go to the public high school and not Anderson. They want surveillance reports every Wednesday and Friday from the woods outside the house, and tell me to "await further instructions."

I'm going to do it for now. It's creepy, but it's not wrong, and I don't need to tell them the exact truth, do I? And if they ask me to actually harm these people... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. If anyone else tries to harm the McCrackens, in the meantime, there'll be Hell to pay.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sierra Seastar, the Merrow Princess: How long have you been trapped on land?

Forever! It certainly feels that way! I've been here for nearly... four of your 'months' - in the Ocean we don't use time like that, its a day, a season, a year - but I'm starting to get the hang of them, I think. The bit called 'Summer' was much nicer than these fall months, the weather hasn't changed as much as I thought it was supposed to though it was much wetter in the summer, but now we have to go to school. Which, I should note, has very little to do with the kind of schools I know about, except that people move around the place in big groups, it's more like the tutoring I received from the learned, except with a bunch of us packed into a tight room for several hours instead of just me in the empty room of an undersea palace.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Where are you staying? How did you get into Anderson High?

Where I was staying is another thing I didn't think I'd need to learn about, where I come from I have the palace, yes, and everyone has a 'home' you'd call it, but you can stay and sleep and play anywhere really. Even the palace only has a small part closed off specifically for just the King and Queen and myself. That doesn't work here! I tried sleeping on a bench the first night I was here, since it looked comfortable and was nearby, but someone came up to be and told me it wasn't allowed! Can you believe that? To me? The nerve.

So I went back to the water, pulled my skin on and slept in a bubble a little ways off shore. I did that for a few nights, until I'd finished my song. Ah... I'm not sure I can explain this properly to a human... I've watched some movies and read some books since I got here, magic isn't like in uh... Harry Potter, where you just wave a wand and say some words and whatever you want happens, it doesn't work that way. The Merrow have two kinds of magic, and only Royalty can use them fully, and I'm not fully practiced at either.

To try and put them in human terms, there's Sea Magic and Song Magic, though they overlap and mix, just like a river flowing into the ocean. The sea is a song of its own, the sound of waves lapping against the shore, crashing against rocks and fish splashing. The sound of the fish and the whales, and ships overhead and children playing in the shallows. The sea is the magic of knowledge, for the sea hears countless secrets, of truth and of lies, for it shows what it is plainly on the surface, but has hidden depths, and the magic of gifts. Every drop of water reaches the sea, and everything made by man has floated on the surface or sunk to the bottom.

Song magic, is the song of the Merrow, woven by our voices and emotion. The song of life and death, of loss, of memory and of dreams. No one can hear our song and remain unmoved or unchanged, humans have stories of sirens, singing so beautifully men lose their souls and chase after the song, seeking only the singer. They're true, though not the only song. Once, we used to live near the surface, with humans as much as with each other, but eventually they began to hunt us, for our skins or the power of our blood, which they say grants eternal life, or for whatever reason. We withdrew, and there was the greatest song of all then, countless Merrow gathered together, singing with the ocean, weaving a spell into the water so great it rained across the world for seven days and seven nights, and when it stopped, we were forgotten, a myth, a legend, a story of a sunken island kingdom.

What I did was like that, but far, far less. A simpler song, fitting me into the world. The specifics weren't something I knew, or could have known, but I worked with the ocean's memories, and the minds of humans, and created a place in the surface world, near where I'd arrived. To humans, I'm a young woman, a teen, and so I was placed where a teen should go, into the school. Anderson High. And since I had no place to stay, I fitted into one, the school dorms, small rooms, one student to each, but with a bed -a bed! what a strange thing to experience- and apparently I was given a 'scholarship' which means I have money to buy food -money took some time getting used to as well- and a dresser already full of clothing, a sort of second skin humans need. I admit, clothing helps make me feel more myself now that I don't have my skin, it stops me from feeling as exposed.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What convenience do you miss most from your home?

Getting the respect I deserve. Convenience didn't seem like the right word at first, but I thought about it for a bit and it is. I'm Royalty, and back home people don't fawn over me constantly, but they always treat me with respect, offer assistance or little gifts, move aside if I need to get somewhere, and give me the first -or second if my parents are around- pick of anything. To go from that to being jostled, actually jostled when I walk in the halls, or having to wait in line is nearly unbearable!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What do you miss most about your home in general?

Ahh... If I had to say something besides the ocean itself, as I only feel properly safe and at home submerged in its motherly depths, I think... freedom. Oh, I still had limitations, I had to study with the tutors, and attend events with my parents, be safely back in the palace by the night, but it isn't the same. When I had time, I could go anywhere, do anything. Visit the shore, or the dolphins, or swim deep into forgotten caverns with the other Merrow children, or simply visiting a reef to look at the beautiful formations all day. And even movement itself is more free, you can go in every direction there, but we're stuck with being on a plane above ground. It isn't the same at all.

And all these laws... If I wanted to go somewhere back home, I could, and the same is true even for people who aren't as important as me, you just take the most direct route. But here everyone 'owns' everything and if they own something, they stop you from using it, or going there! Someone had the nerve to shout at me and set some kind of small, walking shark on me when I was using the pool in the back of their yard! Even the ocean! Along the beach, there are parts that are fenced off! People actually are trying to claim they own parts of the Ocean!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Have you ever thought of the possibility you might not get your skin back?

No!

I suppose... some things aren't terrible. As frightening as a lot of things were at first, the inventions humans have made are astounding. The fast land ships, and computers... there's nothing at all like a computer or a cell phone back home, and the games they have on them are... Well, I was playing one, you slide gems around the screen to put similar colors together, and before I knew it hours had gone by. It was some kind of human magic, I think. And humans have so many interesting stories, ones that we don't have back home.

And even if they are despicable thieves and utterly crude, a lot of humans, uh, down at the beach, or in locker rooms at school. Well... they do look... appealing...

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Have you ever thought of the possibility you might not get your skin back?

No! I WILL get my skin back! I will! Even if I have to sing for a year and a day and call up a storm large enough to cover the entire land in the ocean, I'll do it!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 30, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Aaaand recruitment is now officially closed. I'll make the last questions today, and make picks either tonight or tomorrow!

Question 2:

Alexander MacEarly, the Troll: Who have you already gotten on the bad side of, here at Anderson High? Who's throwing a party soon (is it you?) and what do you plan to do in that? Who do you know that almost makes you want to try to be a better man?

Levi LeChance, the Werewolf: What do you sense that's weird about this place? Well, weird aside from the obvious? Have you ever lost control when you shifted? Ever hurt anyone you didn't mean to? Or hurt someone more than you meant to?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 30, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Going to stop at 2 questions for everyone, to make sure everyone gets equal exposure, even those who applied closer to the end.
Question 1:
Sam Moreau, the Firestarter: Who do you think tried to break you? Why would they try to do that? Why do you think they sent you here? What trap do you think they've arranged for you? How do you plan to escape and/or get revenge?

I don't know who ran my old school. Ok, looks like the conditioning will let me call it that. Cool. But yeah. Truth is, I don't know. There weren't exactly signs on the wall. The government would be the obvious guess. I'm sure I don't have to remind you that MK ULTRA was a real thing. On the other hand I feel like this whole deal with the scholarship wouldn't be their style. Though I'd love it if taxpayer money was being spent to prop up some lovely racist private school. Anyway. Could have been some kinda corporation. Private security maybe. Then again, that line's pretty blurred these days.

Why? Because I can do stuff. I'm choosing my words very carefully here. Stuff that would make me very interesting to scientists and very useful to the military and/or espionage communities. I was born different. But I wasn't born able to do what I can do now. I had to be trained. I had to be given lots of encouragement. I had to associate doing my stuff with feeling good, and not doing it with feeling bad. And I had to be trained to follow orders, even if they're just strings of numbers if they wouldn't sound like orders to you. Make sense?

And I don't know where Anderson High comes into it. They found out where I was living, eventually, so if they wanted me back they could have just tried to take me. But I'd have fought, or run, or both . So maybe this is bait. A way of keeping me in their sights without pushing me off the radar. Or maybe this is another test. Maybe there's somebody with a clipboard writing a report on how I socialize or my academic performance or how my talent's growing. Or it might not be about me at all. Maybe there's something else they want at this school, and I'm just a piece they've moved into place in preparation. There'll be a song on the radio one day and I'll know what I have to do.

I hope not. I've already decided I'm not going to run. That would be the smart thing, but I'm not going to be smart. Last time they gave me the keys to my own escape, and look how much more they're giving me now! A computer, a phone, clothes. Grades, friends, maybe a college admission one day. That'll be Part A of my revenge - to milk them for everything they're worth. Part B is to forget everything they taught me. My brain's already helping with that one. I'm going to do the bare minimum of work to not get chucked out, then I'll flip it around in senior year just to mess with them. A good operative person would stay out of trouble and fighting. I told you how that one's going, didn't I? And I'm going to use my powers as much as I can get away with. What's the point of teaching someone to shine, then telling them to stay in the dark?

The last part is Part C, which is to gently caress them up if they ever show their face again. And I bet they will. They've got an investment to collect on, and they won't be able to keep the shareholders happy forever.

quote:

What do you think of the people in this school? Who do you think is on 'their' side? Who do you know isn't? What's your plan?
What do I think of people? If only it were that simple. I never got to pick and choose. The minute I showed up, everyone had an opinion about me. Half of them think I'm a freak and a longer and trailer trash and they can go gently caress themselves. The other half think I'm intense and mysterious and like that I don't play the stupid social game. And that's ok, but where do I go from there? Social interaction was part of my education. Making friends wasn't.

I don't know if anyone's on their side, if by that you mean the people who made me like this. It might be nobody at all. Hell, maybe I do have a mysterious benefactor. But that's the best case scenario. Worst case: everyone's in on it. This could be another facility just like the one I left. At the very least, Mrs Noonan is probably linked to my old school, since she's the one who handles the letters. If she's part of it, other teachers could be as well. And I've got to be wary of the other students too, especially anyone particularly dependent on the school's goodwill. That means sports teams, anyone getting straight As, probably anyone on a scholarship too. So basically everyone.

Well, that's not quite true, I guess. I told you about Caleb - he's too weird to be anything else. There's a few small overlapping groups of nerds who mostly keep to themselves, like in the chess club. And there's always Annalisa Rey, who's probably the person I feel safest around. That's how you know you're weird. When the person you trust most is a self-confessed pyromaniac who you caught with a can of petrol outside the car park. But if she's that willing to see her career go up in flames, there's no way the school's got any kind of control over her. Right?

Sam's somewhat vague plan is detailed above.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Alexander MacEarly, the Troll: Who have you already gotten on the bad side of, here at Anderson High?

Does the whole football team count? Of course, it really isn't -all- of them, just the mouthbreathing balljockeys in the QB's little all-star clique. Bryan Vickers is his name, if you somehow haven't heard of him yet. Real charmer, thinks he's the next Johnny Manziel and has a house-sized ego to match. Has a bunch of the other players and the popular girls always hanging around him all the time. He tried to talk me into joining up after I turned down Coach Rhodes, really laid it on thick about what a privilege it was to be offered the chance, and how great it would be to be for my future to be on the team. I don't think he really liked being told I wasn't into playing grab-rear end with a bunch of idiots.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Who's throwing a party soon (is it you?) and what do you plan to do in that?

It's not me... yet. I don't know enough cool people at Anderson High yet to know who isn't going to bring along drama or get us all busted, and I can't get busted again right now or Dad's going to flip and try and ship me off to military school or something. I'm on the lookout for a good party to crash, though. It's been a boring summer.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Who do you know that almost makes you want to try to be a better man?

I dunno. What's a better man? A successful guy like my Dad, who's got cash, influence, and can get anything he'd ever want but has to keep up appearances and acts like a huge dick to his family? There is one guy I met this summer though, kinda gave me an idea what I want. My uncle's boss, Bob, is a cool guy. He's gotta be in his 70's, but he's still working in the garage part time, taking on the fiddly older stuff that Uncle Rory hasn't got the patience for or the new guys just don't know. Spends the rest of his time chatting, seems like he knows everybody who comes through, and has a ton of stories to tell.

That wouldn't be a bad place to be, you know? Working with your hands, doing a job where what you do matters to someone's life... that might be worth thinking about. Maybe.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Levi LeChance, the Werewolf: What do you sense that's weird about this place? Well, weird aside from the obvious? Have you ever lost control when you shifted? Ever hurt anyone you didn't mean to? Or hurt someone more than you meant to?

There's something rotting about this place -- slow, like a dry rot. It's not just that it's old and losing its prestige; that part wouldn't be weird on its own, after all. That's the cycle of life. But on top of that, there's this feeling that something is desiccating this place from the inside, eating away at what life remains, drying it out so it'll be mummified by the time it finally dies. Does that make any sense? I'm not sure it does to me, either, I'll admit.

... Hurting people? Yes, I suppose I can't lie about that, even though I don't like to think about it. I imagine you read in the paper over the summer about Devin Carver and Benjamin Kreuzfeld? Attacked in the movie-theater parking lot by a wild dog, hospitalized for weeks? That was me. I found them trying to break into somebody's car -- well, Kreuzfeld was, anyway. I think Carver was just his ride, waiting for him to be done? Which makes him an accomplice, I know, but... I swear, I only meant to scare them off. Maybe give them a lesson to take with them. I didn't intend all the collateral damage, the infected bite wounds, Carver losing his leg at the knee.

I didn't call 911. That was someone else. I'm not proud of that, but... I couldn't stay there, could I, once I knew what I'd done?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Dixieheart picks!:

Yamifenrir: Rosalin, the Gentry
TheCog: Johnathon, the Infernal
Gazeteer: Jill, the Ghost
Frgrbrgr: Harmony, the Vampire
Rauri: Holly, the Witch
Godfish: Sierra, the Merrow
Antivehicular: Levi, the Werewolf

Ton of good apps here, so much that I couldn't stick with just six. But here are the players for this game! Get to Backstory'ing, I've got a fuckton of NPCs to organize into some sort of order.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Who wants to have saved my unlife? One idea I had was somebody found me by the side of the road and called Remy... open to other ideas of course.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh cool! Am down for basically any backstory, just mention it to me in IRC first. Nameplate links to App in case you need a reminder on who Holly is.

quote:

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.
Sierra seems to be awfully full of herself - but, as far as I can tell, it's the type of confidence that constantly needs assuaging, and woe betide anyone who damages her self-esteem. Wanting some insurance in case I ever piss her off on accident was half the reason I took that Seashell Comb off her desk when no one was looking... the other half, I'll admit, was because I thought it looked nice and I wanted it for myself.

Levi is apparently into pottery as a hobby, which I'd make fun of for being weird if my own extracurricular activities weren't so arcane. Anyways, he'd just finished some fancy, Colorful Ashtray and was showing it off in class a few weeks ago. Guess he should've kept a better watch on it, since it barely took me any time at all to steal it from his locker. The hard part was sneaking it back to my house, but now it's sitting along with the rest of my tokens in my Sanctuary.

quote:

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.
Jill is so drat quiet, it's actually unfair. Having snuck back to a class I share with Maddy Wu to get a sympathetic token on her - no real reason, just always nice to have them - and I thought I'd done such a good job being sneaky about it. Unfortunately, and for still no reason I can tell, Jill was skipping lunch and just sort of... hanging out in the classroom? She definitely saw me going through Maddy's backpack, and I doubt she bought the excuse I mumbled about it being the wrong backpack. I haven't gotten in trouble slash Maddy hasn't come after me, so I guess she kept it to herself?

Holly NPCs posted:

• Ms. Verbena - Teaches Chemistry, is a witch, interested in tutoring Holly for some reason
  • Zach Winters - Older brother, he's eighteen / a senior at Anderson. He is on the football team and is a massive jock.
  • Eric Winters - Younger brother, he's fourteen / in eighth grade at the Junior High. Loves music, is a massive jerk.
  • Noah Reed - Sophomore that used to crush on Holly after she filled out some. She hexed him with bad luck, which kinda worked out.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 2, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone (is a COMPLETE MONSTER and) stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Not sure who for these yet

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

You sort those you are fond of into two piles, Friends and Possessions. They are both valuable, of course, but… different kinds of value.

Friends: Harmony

Possessions: Holly Winter

quote:

Harmony has resisted all your attempts to make a friend of them so far. Give them two strings.

Ever since I found Harmony in that ditch... She's just so mean! I don't understand it. We've been friends before that stupid party, but suddenly... she just changed completely. As if she's a different person. What happened back then!?

quote:

Holly Winter would be happier as your possession than your friend. Take two strings on them.

Holly Winter? She's... quite dependent on me. She always needs me to give her some things. Strangely specific things. I mean, whatever. As long as she stays my friend, she can have whatever she wants! I'm not going to be known as someone who doesn't take care of her friends.

Rosalin NPC's posted:

Carolin Westfield,
Titania, her somewhat off-kilter mother of the fair folk,
John Sellos, her down to earth dad who works as a photographer (when he isn't dealing with Titania's... eccentricities).
Betty and Gregor Mirra, Rosalins "adoptive family". Trying really hard not to anger Titania due to some old deal with her.
Seven unnamed fullblooded Fae silbings.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

You know that new girl in town, Rosalin? We got along pretty well back then, before I changed. We actually went to that party together. She's the one who called Remy and told him where I was. She must have been worried about me and followed those guys, and saw when they ditched me.

I wonder how much she knows... Better keep my distance just in case.

Harmony NPCs posted:

• Remington "Remy" Mayfield - twin brother, top athlete, heartthrob, popular
  • Mrs. Barnett - Guidance counselor, moral watchdog, busybody, single

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 1, 2016

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

GodFish posted:

Someone (is a COMPLETE MONSTER and) stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given.

Johnathan is a complete monster, so he'll take this if that's cool with you.

Lami has a string on John by virtue of the whole motorcycle deal!

Rosalin was kind enough to lend John some money when his parents were in the whole "ignore failures" phase. While he's paid her back, the favor isn't paid in full in Johns mind. He'll get her back somehow.

Harmony is ridiculously hot, and the little kidness shown when John was injured and suffering has stuck with him, he owes her for that, he feels.

John has a string on Jill something about his dark presence makes her think he needs her help. She may be right.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 3, 2016

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

quote:

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

Note, for this one: I've tried to hint at it pretty heavily in-character in my previous posts, but Jill was not going by that name while she was alive. If anyone looked that up in old newspapers or something like that, they would have read about a "Jack Miller", and her pictures from old yearbooks look suspiciously like they could be of someone related to her, but you wouldn't immediately look at that and say "wow, that looks exactly like Jill". (I was actually thinking that maybe the school wasn't even co-ed when Jill attended)

The ghost story urban legend is vague enough by this point that someone could easily just hear it as "a student drowned back in the 50s" and make the connection like that, though. If anyone has an idea regarding this, let me know.

quote:

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

This one... hm. I might hold off until some of the other strings are established. This implies a degree of fixation for some reason or another on Jill's part. Or maybe just mild interest, but she's weird.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Gazetteer posted:

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

Jill.... drowned. Its... well, a feeling. I can sense it, she died in the water, filled with water. I'm a Merrow Princess, it's just something I know. And somewhere nearby too, it took a bit of looking, feeling, but I found it. The pool on the school is stagnant water, even if it gets replaced, full of the aura of her death. Its... terrible. But what I don't understand is how she died, years and years ago, and how she's still here. Humans go away when they die, don't they?

TheCog posted:

GodFish posted:

Someone (is a COMPLETE MONSTER and) stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Johnathan is a complete monster, so he'll take this if that's cool with you.

I've been looking for it for ages and then Johnathan just comes right up to me when we're alone and shows it to me! And then he said he wouldn't give it back unless I found some dirt on someone for him! What a bastard, making me do his dirty work! How did he even know about it? Does he really know what it is, or just that it's mine? I'll do his work to get it back, and then we'll see how he feels about having taking someone's skin.

GodFish posted:

You've seen someone swimming, but they either didn't see or didn't recognize you. Gain a String on them.

There's a guy in my class named Levi. I actually 'knew' him before class started, I saw him out swimming one night. Usually during the summer the beaches are so crowded you can't really watch anyone, but it was dark, and it was just him and me, though I don't think he ever saw me. Watching him swim, it was like... an odd mixture, like watching a dolphin frolicking in the waves, but at the same time, a shark cutting through the water hunting. It was unnerving, but a bit beautiful. And then when he climbed out of the water, glistening in the moonlight... It was ... appealing.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 3, 2016

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

GodFish posted:

Sounds good! What task have you set poor Sierra to? :ohdear:

Johnathan just wants a little dirt on Lisa Devoraux. There's no way he's gonna keep the pelt until he can get the Grimore. Unless that proves convenient.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Rauri posted:

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

Suggesting Johnathan or Jill.

Sure. Jill sees all kinds of things, and she hardly talks to anyone, so that works out perfectly. Maddy's the only friend I've mentioned her having, so that's who it would be.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sorry I'm a little late to this! Rauri, if you want Holly to have a token from Levi, that's definitely cool.

As for mine, they're pretty straightforward:

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

The first one obviously doesn't require picks. For the second, I'm thinking Johnathan, since I think he'd set off Levi's douche-chills something awful. That cool with you, TheCog?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

The first one obviously doesn't require picks. For the second, I'm thinking Johnathan, since I think he'd set off Levi's douche-chills something awful. That cool with you, TheCog?

All yours! Take all the strings!

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

quote:

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Talked with Yami, and I'm going to say that Jill has taken an interest in Rosalin and has followed her home at least once. That's my strings all sorted.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Are there any backgrounds left that still need to be handed out, or are we good to move on with highlights and IC thread and such?

Giant List of NPCs/Places:

Adults/Teachers:
Mr. Grifter, School Principal; one of the men who killed Jill Miller as a child.
Miss Yoder - Band teacher, has a secret affair with one of her students
Mr Pratt - Very old, very southern history teacher with a very dark secret.
Mrs Barnett - Moral Guidance Counselor, very strict in enforcing her morals on the school events.
Ms. Verbena - Chemistry teacher, secret witch. Wants to teach Holly.
Tim Miller - Jill's younger brother, now an old janitor

Titania - Rosalin's mother, former Summer Queen.

Students:
Mayu Nakajima - Japanese-American drama student, spends a lot of nights in Lakeview Cemetery
Carolin Westfield - Occult groupie, Rosalin's 'friend'
Erica Sanders - Ex-party animal, but after a brief period of going to a new megachurch with her family, she has become a straight-laced, devoted churchgoer.
Remington 'Remy' Mayfield - Harmony's brother, athletic, smart and charismatic, but somewhat overprotective of Harmony since the incident.
Maddy Wu - Jill's only friend, relentlessly friendly.
Mark Anderson - Smug athlete who mocked Johnathon for his injury.
Lisa Devoraux - Scion of an elite Southern family. Rich and well-bred and proud of it.
Zack and Rhea - Students who do the morning announcements over the intercom... but nobody's ever actually seen Rhea.
Lucy Walters - Tall redhead cheerleader, bully.
Hester Lancaster - Lucy's partner in crime and fellow bully.
Mary Goodwin - Holier-than-thou churchgirl
Todd Smith - Outed as gay.
Dean Standish - Levi's roomate, uses fake medication, is generally Weird.
Noah Reed - Used to have a crush on Holly, was hexed into a car accident, mostly recovered.
Annalisa Rey - Self-confessed pyromaniac, on probation after being caught with a can of petrol in the car park.

Places of Interest:
Ramsey Place - Old plantation compound. Site of a mysterious murder in the 1980s; family moved away or died, large parts are now abandoned and up for sale to the city.
Sherman Memorial Park - A serene park with a statue of General Sherman. Crosses into the Edwards Greenbelt, which is a larger overgrown hiking trail.
Glitter - a teenage club with an exclusive back room for booze, weed, etc.
Southern University - Sister school to Anderson High.
(Abandoned) Soda Shop - now a derelict, abandoned building.
Kudzu Water Park - Cheap and good waterpark in the town, though with rumours of a kid committing suicide by jumping off the highest board.
Strom Thurmond Aquatics Center - public swimming pool, open year round.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Put in the flavor for my backgrounds.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
So I think someone still needs to think they can save John, and what exactly the debts he owes are, and then we're ready?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

TheCog posted:

Someone thinks they can save John, he takes a string on that poor misguided soul.

I can take this one. Jill can kind of tell that you have a nasty spirit lingering around you, and thinks maybe she can do something to get it to leave you alone. She doesn't know enough about a lot of things to understand that what sort of spirit it is or that your relationship to it might be voluntary.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Gazetteer posted:

I can take this one. Jill can kind of tell that you have a nasty spirit lingering around you, and thinks maybe she can do something to get it to leave you alone. She doesn't know enough about a lot of things to understand that what sort of spirit it is or that your relationship to it might be voluntary.

Yours!

I'll fluff out the debts owed in about two hours and thats it for John I think.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Harmony is good to go

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alrighty! It seems like we're all done with backgrounds save a bit of fluff, so highlights!

Harmony highlight for Rosalin
Rosalin highlight for Harmony
Holly highlight for Levi
Levi highlight for Sierra
Johnathon highlight for Jill
Jill highlight for Holly
Sierra highlight for Johnathon

My GM highlights would be - your highest stat, if it hasn't already been highlighted, or your second highest stat if your highest has already been highlighted - just so we can speed along and I can get the IC thread up sometime today!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
One could say that Harmony has given Rosalin the Cold Shoulder after she turned.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Despite everything, I don't think anyone can argue that Jill can be Hot when she wants to.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hopefully Levi remains in the Dark about who stole the crummy ashtray he made.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Holly seems like she's going to be in a pretty Dark place for the next while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sierra sure has landed in some Hot water, huh?

• Locked thread