Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Freak 0 Danger 0 Savior +2 Superior 0 Mundane +1
Potential 1

Forgot to mark Potential before. Growinge closer to the group, giving 1 Influence to Obsidian, clearing Guilty.

It's easy for Max to see a lot of Professor Linne in Obsidian, and not just because-- wait. He's been down this way before, hasn't he? Probably, but screw it. It's still true, it still means something. That's why, when they're back out of the public eye and somewhere acceptably private, he apologizes for almost-- kinda halfway-- spazzing out on her for dragging him away from apparent danger. It's not her fault he's got body image issues, and it's nice she cared.

And he totally shares the story about that time a young Linne got herself soaked up by a T-shirt.

~~~

Mandragon may be embarrassed, but the clearly dominant expression on Max's human visage is relief. Other-other-Max totally deserves it; he's been putting his butt on the line for the team and other people since they ran into that munchling swarm. He's a good choice for it, he's good people, scout's honor.

Regular-other-Max had worried about the possibility. He clearly remembered the night he'd swore a rainbow streak at Headmaster Steele for offering to make him and Linne and Welcome and the others Junior Knights in the wake of the Talsen Trio incident. Naw. Getting tagged Captain because Mandragon knew him from before would be... necrotism? No, that's something to do with Bones. It'd make him something more than the kid who got held back a lifetime, and... that's not fair. He's young and flexible, but it's still an effort to play cultural catch-up with the other kids; making them think he has some kind of major 'in' with the adults would just make that harder.

"I could have done better," Max admits, smiling between a shrug. "I feel bad about the mall getting wrecked, and those people getting hurt, still, but the others here and that glowy girl who showed up were great."

He's... he's a little preoccupied though. Just earlier, a little box had arrived, addressed to him. Him-him-- Master Max Walsh, not Ms. Rhoswen LeFay, or any cute conflation of the two, but the handwriting on the old-style plain brown paper, under the modern customs stickers, was unfamiliar. Joking awkwardly about ear warmers from great-aunt Galadriel, he opened the paper to reveal a simple wooden box, battered some by transit.

Max can't be sure which of the two objects he found in the box tripped his creepy-meter worse: the silky-slick black burglar mask that had unfolded itself all over the inside, or the antique brass key attached to a blank tag with one side covered in white enamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Citadel

I am strangely... unhappy, if that were possible, about the mall event. Despite acting to what my analytic programs suggested, people still got hurt. Especially the one known as 'Momo'. I find this... unsatisfactory. Strangely enough, Dr. Reyes seemed to disagree. She told me that "Perfection is impossible and I should not try to chase it" which... seems like a logical impossibly. Perfection is a concept - it cannot, in fact, move. Is it a 'phrase' she referred to? ... It appears I still have yet much to learn about human phrases and the such.

Regardless of the matter, I have installed multiple language adoption programs. Although the human language appears highly inefficient in transferring information, it is still the most universally used one. And, at the very least, Dr. Reyes and I agree on one matter, that is of the strange collective of humans and non-humans that were present on the mall. Dr. Reyes was unable to find any information on them and has requested my assistance on the matter. Luckily, in the fight I was able to bookmark the mobile device of the entity 'Momo'. With it, I was able to track the whereabouts of that individual. Finding the rest should be an easy task.

quote:

Executing Cyber-Jump. Long distance jump detected. Estimated travel time... 5 minutes.

--------

5 Minutes later, an all too familiar bright flash suddenly lit up Dr. Hadron's room, likely leaving a very confused Dr. Hadron as Simulacrum looks around the room before once again disappearing and suddenly appearing right next to Momo, Bones and Mandragon.

Once again taking a look around, she turns to Momo.

"Hello, Momo. I wish to learn more about you and your friends. Is that a reasonable request?"

Growing into my own image due to not being too familiar with the group yet. +Superior, -Mundane.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Max

Max lifts his arms up in front of his face, too late to avoid being dazzled. "Aah! Flash photography bad!"

A beat passes. He peers out from between his forearms.

"Well, I guess that's one less question about the glowy girl," he says, now especially glad to be in mundane identity, with ears even less likely to pick up Hadron's reaction to the Citadel's privacy being busted.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior 0 | Superior -1 | Mundane +0
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: | Afraid
Location: I just died in your arms tonight, it must have been something you said...!

"Jesus. You guys see that, right? Not a figment of my imagination, right? Oh, great." He looks to the girl uncertainly, she wasn't a spirit, the loa didn't seem to react to her. Some kinda robot? "That... hell of an app you've got there Momo. I didn't think Apple did people! Hey, miss appearing-out-of-telephones. Who are you?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"I am IDL Simulacrum. We have met before." Simulacrum replies without emotion, still looking at Momo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Max

"I think we've got Saint Jobs beaten to Be Different."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Scene 3 - Back at Citadel, cont'd
Team: 1 - Influence - Citadel Development - Quick Reference

Simulacrum: It seems like they want to know more than just your name. How do you explain your presence? What do you want from them, and what do you say to get it?

Bones: Jokes aside, "IDL Simulacrum" was a pretty helpful hand during the fight with Croc. What do you think of her sudden arrival? Do you want her to stick around?

Max: Simulacrum's arrival quickly becomes the focus of the room, but something is still bugging you - that key and mask. What do you think they mean? Do you plan on telling the others about it?

Momo: Mandragon apologizes for the name gaffe, but is then suddenly distracted by the arrival of glowy girl. What do you think of her? What threatens you about her?

FYI, gonna fast forward soon so get your talking out - Scene 4 incoming!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: 0 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Aww, Bones is trying to be sweet, but Momo's too busy giggling to herself and on the verge of Googling creampie on her phone to show to Bones its other meaning when all of a sudden her phone absolutely spazzes out. "Ehh?" She asks, holding it up so everyone can see it since it's clearly important, and then the TRON girl from the mall is surging out of her phone, asking her about wanting to get to know her and her friends.

Everyone else seems on board with her being here - Bones and Max are even joking about it - but Momo isn't certain about her at all. She totally took time during the fight to try and make fun of her jokes, and Cyber-girl's whole being made of light thing just sort of instinctively makes Momo dislike her. Why's she trying to join now - it's kinda suspicious, isn't it? Behind her, Mahakali crosses his arms and tries to look intimidating. At least Mandragon's on board with her actual name, which she gives him a giant grin and nod about.

"Yeah, I remember you. So... I GUESS you can join, on a probationary membership!" You'd think Mandragon would be saying this stuff, but Momo's doing her best to usurp control of things - she was the one that got asked after all. Flicking her brown hair with her hand in an effort to look dramatic, she stares the team's brand newest 'person' down. "But you gotta promise to stop accessing my phone, that's creepy."

<Rauri> Pierce Simularcrum's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+1 = 7
Simularcrum, What are you really planning?

Oh, she almost forgot! Turn towards Bones, she asks him a question. "Yeah that sounds great Skelesavior, when am I eating out?" She snickers.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 1, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential 0/5 | Conditions: | Afraid
Location: I just died in your arms tonight, it must have been something you said...!

Bones's mouth hangs open for a moment, before it clicks closed. He shakes his head chuckling. This girl...!

- - -
12:08 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Bones - Pierce Momo's Mask
12:08 PM !r 2d6+1
12:08 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 6+1 = 7
12:08 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Phew

- What do you want me to do?

- - -

Bones put his arm around Momo's sholder, leaning in to whisper in her ear.

"Well that'll depend on a few things. But I'm sure we can discuss those in private. Tell me Momo, what food are you into, you a fan of Mexican food? How do you like your taco filled?"

Bones was really doing his best not to loose his temper with this walking lightbulb. She seemed pretty determined to ignore him. Which was nice. Okay, she seemed to help out at the Mall, but she also seemed to be reckless, and didn't communicate with the team. Hell, she even attacked him when he pulled out the bomb switch! Now that was risky! Bones just wasn't sure about her...

But, Momo, had offered her a place on the team. And maybe he was being judgemental... he himself hadn't exactly been the best team member. Hell he'd lost it and got possessed by the Loa in the middle of the fight! Still though, her ability to just appear like that was a worrying development. It meant they could be tracked. It meant they could be found.

"Mandragon, I'd suggest we run Sim' here through a quick interview. We need to know how she found us. If she can do it, maybe others can as well. Makes the whole place a lot less secure if the bad guys can find us too. Don't you think? I mean, no offence to Simulacrum, I'm sure you're... uh, nice? Nice. But we've got to think of our safety here."

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 3, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Join you? Are you an organization? Do you have any registration I could inspect? ... It seems the best way of learning more about you would be to join you. I accept those terms." Simulacrum replies. Upon complaint about the phone, she clarifies. "I did not access your phone any more than any automatic bluetooth connections would. Incidentally, you could gain roughly 30% on battery charge if you disabled bluetooth. There are no other mobile devices with bluetooth enabled in range."

Simulacrum seems almost singularly focused on gathering information on Citadel, ignoring almost all else. On top of that she doesn't seem to abide by, or even know many social norms, such as even facing the person they're talking to. Perhaps her thought process isn't human?

Matching Momo's stare, she replies to Bones. "If you are trying to stay hidden, having an open internet connection is counterproductive. On top of that, my scans show your firewall is two versions outdated. Consider upgrading."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Max

Oh, yes. So glad he's in mundane identity, without that too-sharp hearing. Overhearing whispers is the worst. He's heard similarly about people who don't realize you understand their language, but has run into very few people who speak Gaeilge, and fortunately even fewer who speak elvish.

The bright flash of Simulacrum's arrival jogs his memory and brings that weird package back to mind. The key is... old. Heck, the whole thing could be decades or centuries old. Somebody could have put it in the mail before things got hosed up, and it just escaped the dead letter office. Or the undead one. God. Vlad didn't send it, did he? Max shifts uncomfortably.

But yeah, it's old. Rhoswen had at least one magical bolt hole or closet, he raided one the other... that one time. The tag's totally unhelpful, but maybe it's symbolic or something. Those White Rooms they learned about back when?

The mask is just creepy. Just thinking about it makes him want to squirm. It's the kind of thing that turns into a blindfold with a quarter turn, and that Fifty Shades grossness was all over that last summer.

"Uhm," Max hems. "I don't want to play my own pipes or anything, but I got some mail the other day. Like, old mail. The kind of thing that probably shouldn't have found me, with that forced vacation and junk. I kind of wish it didn't, because it makes me think of stories I heard about the Seventies."

"Hem," he uhms, reaching into his pockets. The key and tag are tangled on the string that connects them, but the mask unfurls itself without a crease or fold. It glistens, unpleasantly tongue-like, dangling from between his thumb and forefinger. "Didn't Black Cape wear something like this, way and way the heck back when?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Team: 1 - Influence - Citadel Development - Quick Reference

Simulacrum: Mandragon sizes you up, then gives you a big thumbs up. "No need for registration, you're in! You can join Team D, I'm sure brand new team leader Bones here can show you around and bring you up to speed. If you're good enough fight Croc, you're good enough for Citadel. Now... about those firewalls... I'd, I'd better go tell Hadron..." Mandragon takes off. Looks like you've been conscripted to the Citadel! A few picoseconds analyzing the servers tell you enough about the place that you can make a judgment about it - superhero school, trying to do good, lots of help needed - so, what do you think about Citadel? Do you accept Mandragon's Influence to join? If so, +Savior, -Danger

Momo: Rather than a joke, Bones leans in close and whispers into your ear some pretty scandalous stuff! Hey, this is getting pretty serious! How do you respond? Now that the fighting's over, how do you really feel about Bones? What do you say to him?

Bones: Simulacrum's response seems a little... well - inhuman. But Mandragon seems to take the lead easily enough... and then dumps it immediately back onto you. What do you say to Simulacrum to welcome her to the group? What's the biggest thing you want to know about her?

Max: Mandragon's unfortunately already out the door when you pull out the mask, but as it unfurls, the room's lights flicker and a chill cuts through the air. Is this... could it really be Black Mask's mask? You can feel... a pressure... an urge... to put on the mask. Do you do it?

Everyone else: Seeing the mask unfurl and the room suddenly change, how do you feel? What do you do?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Max

It happens in... Simulacrum could probably tell you how long it takes. For Max it happens in a fairy tale moment, that fraction of a second when the lights fail completely, and the scrap of cloth in his hand still seems darker than the rest of the room.

Why not put it on?

Sure, Momo's the team joker, but that'd make it even funnier. Put the mask on, belt out a maniacal laugh as the lights come back up. Keep laughing if someone freaks out. Laugh even harder if it's Steele!

Go ahead, put it on!

It's a great idea! Except he remembers the last time he gave in to that kind of an urge, and found that beautiful box hidden in great-something-grandfather's trunk. He'd thought they were maybe dueling pistols, golden metal nestled in deep green velvet, arranged muzzle toward butt, a loop made for stopping. They did that in the olden days, didn't they? Maybe that's why Great-Grandpa came across the ocean. It was a romantic thought. It was a romantic urge, coaxing, warm as gold. It was an act that was still turning his life inside-out, and had people yanking on him so hard he tore loose from time. This time the urge is as cold as moonlight on a knife blade, as inexorable as smothering.

The lights dim and Max shrieks, hurling the flap of fabric away from himself and everyone else. He leaps back at the same time, putting even more distance between himself and the mask, but trips and tangles in a gangle of limbs. The short gasps that come out as he stares at the mask sound suspiciously close to sobs.

"Don't. Don't touch that thing. Not without tongs, or a priest." He takes a deep breath. "It tried to make me put it on."

---
Fonts for this post provided by Blambot.
Now I'm embarrassed. This was powerfully purple prose.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 7, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: 0 +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 0 | Sup: +2 +3 | Mun: +1 -1
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Well, if Bones was hoping for a reaction from Momo after something like that, he'll certainly be happy. Her immediate first instinct is to start laughing, covering her mouth with her hands as her face flushes and she moves onto thought two - namely, how can Bones know that bit of slang when he's Scottish or something? Do they even have Mexican food there in order to understand taco innuendos properly?

Thought three is that a skeleton man probably wants to have sex with her, which, uhhhhh... there's really no resource she can consult for this particular problem. And yeah, it's a problem. Setting aside how funny, kind, brave, smart, and obviously devoted to her Bones is, there's just the issue of what are they supposed to do? Holding hands is an option, and there's a few other tame things, but after that there are some definite anatomy issues. Compounding that is, well, he doesn't have a face. It's just all not a problem she ever expected to have - and making things worse, it's hard for her to not feel like she's just being shallow. Skin deep, in other words.

"Pretty sure you mean Skelesavior," Momo immediately corrects Mandragon, still reeling from what Bones just told her. Glancing up at him, she has to stifle another set of giggles - its weird how a skull can look so earnest - before she can answer. "Uhhh, I'm a big fan of meat? But that depends on wh-"

Wow, the room goes weird all of a sudden, interrupting Momo (thank goodness), and drawing attention towards the mask in the middle of the table - and then to Max, who seems to have put it on while the lights were out. She's about to grin about it, when the elf-person flings it at the table like it's a snake made of spiders and withdraws towards the wall, looking severely freaked out and ranting about not touching it. Didn't they mention some other villain earlier? Black Mask or something?

Quickly summoning Mahakali, she uses her shadow guardian to pat her teammate's shoulder's as reassuringly as a disembodied shadow monster can. "There, there, it's OK now. Nobody's gonna touch the mask, or I'll mess 'em up - that thing's infringing on my Shadow gimmick already, after all." Yeah this is a good reason to not say more to Bones, let's keep this going shall we?

<Rauri> Comfort Max
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 4+1 = 5
<Rauri> :x
Marking potential, get advance - rearranging labels and add +1. Freak is now +1, Savior is 0, and Mundane is -1. Adding +1 to Superior.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Freak +2 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2

Citadel proves to be extremely strange. What country's codes does it's organizational guidelines conform to? No matches found.

Regardless, this is a low priority query. Having joined the organization...

Now what? Analysis suggests simply performing the same tasks the other members would be an efficient way.

----

Suddenly, the lights went out. This requires investigation. Simulacrum touches the light switch after the light goes out.

"No anomalies detected in power grid. Power outage not explainable."

Accepting Influence.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential 1/5 | Conditions: | Afraid

Ah! Come on! Can Max not just hit on the girl he likes? Does something have to appear and freak everyone out every time he starts talking to her? Jeez! First Sim (what even was her deal? The teacher seem remarkably keen to just let in anyone...) and now this creepy mask thing. Well whatever it is, it's messing with Max, and Max does not like it when things mess with his friends.

Bones approches the mask, not looking to touch it, just looking.

"...Right... I'm guessing it's got some kinda fairy thing going on with it... right? Gotta be some pretty bad mojo to make you scream like a girl. No one touch it. I'm going to see if I can get anything out of it. Just... stand back while I focus."

Bones reached out with skeletal fingers hovering over the mask.

"Oh Loa, can I beg a moment of your time? What's up with this mask? In payment I offer Fire-" He pulls out a little lighter, sparking it to life, and then immediately extinguishes it with his hand. "-and water." He next pulls out a little flask and knocks it back. The liquid vanishing as always past his teeth.

- - -

3:30 PM → Tricky and sc4rs joined
3:31 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Bones - Unleash powers, extending senses
3:32 PM Y<Yamifenrir> hi
3:32 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 !r 2d6+43
(thought influance applied but it doesn't
3:32 PM K<Krysmbot> ArashiOfOrdo3, 3+4 = 76

Could I respectfully request some team please?
Also +1XP

- - -

Bones let the Loa curl around him, letting it look through his eyes, and in tern he look through its at the nature of this mask, whatever this thing was he was going to work it out.

While he stared ghost lights flickering into life and faiding into nothingness around him, Bones spoke up, addressing Sim

"Hey, welcome to the team, congrats on making it in. I'm Max, the team leader. Or.... -sigh- Skelisavior. Not really a fan of that one. So Max will do fine. I've only got three rules. Rule 1, don't die. Rule 2, work with the team, communicate, support others to cover our weaknesses. Rule 3, we save as many people as we can. If that means a team mate, you better do it. I don't care about bruised egos I care about my friends making it back in one piece. Got it? Now, Sim, answer me one question, what on earth are you? You're not a ghost I can say that much. But you're a little too matrix to be a normal human."

God he hoped that sounded as cool as it did in his head, and not terribly dorky.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 10, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is this some sort of mating ritual? It follows no known guidelines. Perhaps it is one of these indecipherable human games that 'Max' doing right now, with fire and water. Wait, what are these? Circumstantial knowledge would refer to these as ghosts. Attempting to touch one - like a child meeting a new object - fills both with curiosity and a bit of cautiousness.

I nod as she brings up the rules. All acceptable.

As he then asks of her exact definition and mentions a 'Matrix', I sift through through my databases. Matrix. Most likely definition: Movie trilogy. Searching for most known character... Agent Smith.

Before the eyes of everyone in the room, the glowing form suddenly changes into the splitting image of Agent Smith from the movie, seemingly 'loading up' an 3D image of him, complete with a short buffering. However, the fact that the voice is still the same breaks the illusion somewhat.

"An acceptable analogy, Max. I will try to explain it in layman terms. My being is referred to as an IDL, or Independent Digital Lifeform. Another way to phrase it would be to say I am an Artificial Intelligence, although unbound to any physical hardware. Some have even referred to me as a living quantum computer, but I do not know how true this statement is. I am not aware of the circumstances of my creation. Do you require additional information?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Max

It's a good attempt on Momo's part. Max will probably appreciate it, once the adrenaline's tapered off and he's embarrassed as hell for flipping out. He's focused on that stupid scrap of fabric though, like it's about to rear up and make somebody wear it, so when Bones takes a nip of something and reaches out for the probably literally damned thing...

"Jesus and Mary Chain, I said it's possessed! Would you-- put some gloves on, at least!"

Max, blessedly, does not speak in the brogue of his ancestors.

"I should have stayed with the elves. They're crazy, but not Nazi mascots and possessed kink wear crazy."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Sooooo, three things. One, Bones carries a flask with him - does it have alcohol in it? She's determined to investigate that possibility. Second, he's got weirder powers than she does, even if you don't include him being a skeleton man. Third, uhhhh... Sim is BIZARRE. She and Max may be the only actually alive people on the team - hard to tell with Obsidian - and it's kinda weird to think about it. "Hahaha wow Skelesavior, you've got a flask?" She reaches out for it, sticking her tongue out too. "Inspection time! Gotta make sure it does... er, 'doesn't' have liquor in it!" She beams at him, making it totally clear she's interested in him, weird as that probably is to everybody else.

Spending a point of team to boost Bones' roll by one, via boosting his confidence.

Sim's let the team ask whatever they want, which was an idiotic decision around Momo. "Can you divide by zero? What's the smallest number that breaks your processor? Do you dream of electric sheep?" Momo instantly asks, even before she's registered what she's saying. Once she does, she carries on with even better jokes. "Are you Terminator One or Two? If you're Three I'm voting you out of the group." Right? She looks at her teammates for support on that point. "Can you look like anything? You should definitely impersonate me - someone else as cute as me on the team would be great, and I wanna see if you're good at imitating people~" Maybe she'll need some admin password or something?

She's got more to say, but Max is freaking out - despite Mahakali's massage and everything! "Awww, we're glad you're here though!" She is at least - Max may confuse her constantly, but she looks up to her some. "Promise I'll only wear my possessed Kink-Wear when you're not around, kay?" Because it's hilarious, she elbows Bones on one of his ribs.

"ANYWAYS!" She looks towards the Mask, then from one teammate to another, then to Mandragon. Mahakali does the same. "Shouldn't one of the teachers analyze that? She like, just got starting to feel better - the team deserves relaxation time, for at least a night!" She glances meaningfully at Bones - here's his chance.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

The chatter from Sim went a little over Max's head. He'd never been one for computers, and what was more. Her... lack of emotive delivery was strangely off putting. Maybe he'd just watched 2001 A Space Odyssey too much. Couldn't help but listen out for her singing "Daisy Daisy, give me you're answer do". He'd probably start running if she did that.

Also there was the fact that she seemed to be really heavily focused on Momo, like, uncomfortably so. If he tried to take Momo away somewhere private, would Sim follow? Is she bound to Momo's phone? If he sent Momo a text would Sim be able to read it? Okay, Try and think up a clever robot themed answer Max.

"Uhhh, right....?" He glances about. "Are you bound by... the three laws of robotics? Is that even a thing? Are you physical? Or are you just a light show?"

Before he could focus more on the conundrum that was Sim's existence.

"By all mean." Bones says offering Momo the flask. She would be disappointed. It only had water in it. "But you'd probably be more interested in this one." He pulled a second flask out. It had a lions head crudely etched into it's metal surface. It contained alcohol. What alcohol it actually contained was based on what Bones could get his hands on. Today it was a nice Pomegranate flavoured cider. Sweet and fruity. That wasn't even mentioning the third flask. Nore would Bones. That one contained poison, and as such had a big Skull etched onto it. Some of the Loa needed death to call to them. Given that the actual content didn't actually affect Bones he could quite safely chug it. But anyone else? Ooh, bad idea.

Besides, something about the way Momo was looking at him filled him with confidence, and also a sense of shuddering trepidation, he was both glad and disappointed she wasn't standing closer to him. He'd love to stare into her eyes while she gave him that look. Up close, with his arms around her, and she's...

Jesus Max, Focus!

While he waited for the Loa to do it's work, he listened to Momo. (of course). She was coming up with some real zingers. He becomes very still once Momo mentions Kink-wear.

"U-Uh, well as team leader, I feel it's my.... responsibility to make sure all of your kink-ware is possession free Momo. So if you ever want to make sure it's safe to wear.... Come and find me. We'll go over it and make sure it's safe."

Oh god did he really just say that! Shut up mouth! Let brain have a check through of what you're going to say before you say it!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 16, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Simulacrum addresses Elf-Max first. "Elves exist? All of my sources point to them being fictional."

Before she can ask more, she gets barraged by questions by Momo. "Dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility, Momo. ... Query unclear. No 'smallest number' found. ... Electric sheep are fictional entities. They exist only in hypothetical situations, and the highly profitable franchise Pokémon. On top of that, I do not require sleep, only electricity. Therefore, dreaming, an action shared only by biological entities, is impossible for me."

As the question of which Terminator Simulacrum is gets asked, Simulacrum's only reply for a couple of seconds is visible confusion - only visible thanks to the graphical overlay she currently has active.

"I do not fully understand your question, Momo. Are you referring to the movie series? I did not watch it. Or any movies, for that matter. Such recreational activities are low on my priority list. Would you recommend I watch them?" Simulacrum replies, pulling up a monitor-sized hard light wall. A few seconds after, a graphical overlay appears on it, saying 'loading...'. As soon as that's done, the title image of Terminator 1 appears on said make-shift screen.

However, she soon has to leave it be, as Momo is still not done asking questions. This time, however, she asks if Simulacrum can emulate Momo.

"I may not have enough data for that." she states, matter-of-factly, as she shifts her visual appearance once more. Soon, there's a pretty much perfect copy of Momo standing in front of the team, complete with a faux Mahakali. However, the fake Mahakali looks static, like a cardboard cutout.

In this somewhat strange form, she then replies to Bones' questions.

"The three laws of robotics are an attempt at a solution to a hypothetical problem. As such, they have not been implemented. However, upon request, I have taken up the first as a guideline. As for the question of my physical state... that is a very complex question, and in fact one I have spent a lot of computing power on. It appears I have a 'core' of data on the inner part of my physical form, which serves at the database. Housing it is a shell of hard light keeping it contained. The abnormalities begin here - data is not a physical concept - instead it is a term that ultimately describes the combination of Ones and Zeroes on hard drives. And yet, this data exists in the physical world, kept together by solid light. Even more inexplicably, I am able to travel through power lines, the internet, and even wireless networks, and interact with electronic objects from the inside - this is what you saw at the mall. Despite a lot of attempts I have not been able to process why this is possible - only how, namely by lowering the hard-light shell and melding with electronic objects."

Seeing this as a moment for Bones to process what Simulacrum just described, she waits for a short while before continuing.

"In addition, I do not have any physical hardware one would expect an artificial intelligence to have. Notably, this has made assessing my actual processing power difficult. By stress-testing, I was able to place it at roughly 1,333557333 times the power of NASA's D-Wave Two quantum computer. But despite not having hardwave, I am not exempt from the fallacies of such. The moment of indecision that Momo had to clear would be one such example. As a summary, I cannot give an exact answer to this. The closest approximation would be that I am metaphysical entity, with an 'access port' to the physical world. Is this explanation understandable?"

Turning to the group at large again, she takes a moment to process the current situation and realized the mask appears to be the cause of quite the turmoil. Surrounding with a free-floating hand of hard light, she picks it up and then changes the shape into a small cube, trapping the mask within.

"This object appears to be causing you issues. Perhaps we should quarantine it?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Team: 0 - Influence - Citadel Development - Quick Reference

Bones: You can sense the loa responding to the mark - but not in a good way. Dark dark dark darkdarkdarkdarkdarkdark... Oh, this is not good. The loa are actually rejecting the mask - it seems to have a much stronger power than the loa have in their current state.

Simulacrum: As you encase the mask in a lightbox, the lights suddenly flicker again. When they come back on, the mask is gone entirely - like it was never there in the first place.

Everybody: How do you react?

--

Pre-Scene 4

The rest of the day passes relatively uneventfully - and as Citadel starts to swell with students, returning heroes, and construction bots, the week flies by.

However, the school is buzzing with rumors, and late one night you hear of a meeting among the staff to discuss something serious. Bones gets pulled into it - and when he returns with Mandragon, the teacher explains whats going on. "Well, after much discussion, the Citadel staff have decided to give you a mission, even though its a bit early for that sort of stuff. But this mask thing... well, it appears that your team is being targeted by something. And the teachers have agreed that, while we could try to protect you from it, that's not the best way to move forward. We're going to send you out with support - but see if you can figure out what's going on and solve it yourself. Hero stuff, right? So, er, get some sleep, you leave in the morning."

Sure enough, the next morning, Mandragon gets you up and helps you board some sort of aerial transport built by Hadron. Despite numerous clinks and beeps, the machine gets moving, and you're soon flying through the air. Your destination - where the mail was sent from.

Momo: Boy - things sure are getting serious. Bones and you starting up a relationship - though he's been busy doing leader stuff. And this mission. How are you handling all of this? What did you do recently to vent away some of those emotions? Who got offended by it? And... where are you heading right now? Where did the mail come from?

Momo gets to pick where because others get some better prompts :p:

Max: The scary mask has quickly become the talk of the school - do you dare talk about it openly, and say what you know about Black Mask? And... who from the faerie realm tried to contact you recently? What problem did they introduce into your life?

Bones: Things have changed for you, quite suddenly. Mandragon is grabbing you aside often, to talk about special leadership classes, and then that thing last night to talk to all the staff about your team. Who opposed sending you on the mission? What did you say to them in response? And... how do you feel about all this? Who are you most worried about on this mission? What are your goals?

Simulacrum: Describe what your week has been like at Citadel. What do you think of your teammates? What do you think of the school? Which new arrival did you meet that had the biggest impression (invent a new NPC)? What did you learn from them? What do you feel about the mask and this trip?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"Okay, gently caress that. That's a pretty bad mask. Like... Jim Carey 'The Mask' bad. Do not touch." He glances at Sim. "To be honest. Nothing you've said makes a lick of sense to me. So.... I'm just going to call you 'Sparky - the maybe-human lightbulb'. At least until it makes sense to me." The mask disappears as Sim tries to contain it. "Huh, okay, it's a shadow. It's dark and bad and not nice at all. So yeah, everyone be careful about your face wear. If you see a mask you're not sure who it belongs too. Do not grab it."

Speaking of grabbing things...

"Anyway, nothing we can do about it for now. We'll just have to play it by ear for now. Ironic given my lack of them. Ha. Anyway, Sim. Wander around, meet people. These are our fellow students, and possible team mates. You'll need to get to know them, and work out what their skills may be. Should this place ever come under attack, everyone will need to know who can do what. Explore the campus, with your eyes. The rest of you, back to what you usually do. Eat, drink, train, rest, have fun, I'll see you all tomorrow. Now, Momo. We've got a lot to catch up on. And as team leader it's my job to make sure you're fit for duty. Follow me."

Bones send the rest of them on their way. Determined to actually talk to Momo on her own, in private without anything else trying to interrupt them.

First thing he did was get her back to her room.

"Okay, I've got a trick I wanted to show you. Heck, I've been dying (ha) to show you it for ages." He takes off his hoodie. the simple tee underneath was easier to fill correctly. With a flick of his wrist, he let the ectoplasm flow across his limbs. Filling out the missing flesh, the skin, and muscle. He fed the colour into it. Just like he'd been practising. Shaping it, giving it life. Until a boy stood in front of Momo, not a skeleton. A full flesh and blood (and ectoplasm) boy.

"Hi." He said, flashing a cheeky grin. "As you can see, I've been practising." Bones flexes his fingers, that always felt so weird, like he was suddenly a lot heavier. But Max supposed that was what he always felt like. Just not.... now. "What do you think? See anything you like?"

Okay, maybe he was panicking inside, because he was trying to ask Momo out. Like properly. Like as in on a date.

"Because... um, I've been thinking about you. Uh a lot. Like ever since we met. And it's awesome to see you back here with us. But I wanted to... uh, spend some time with you? I mean, I though it was pretty unfair that you got to chill out all day and watch tv and stuff while we were doing all the hard work!" Max crosses his arms. "Look, Momo, you're amazing and cute, and sexy, and brave, and I don't know what to say or what to do, but I want you so bad that it's all I've been able to think about! I can't even think of any good jokes!"

Max reaches out his hand to her.

"So, I guess what I'm saying... I'm just a skeleton, who's turned back into his original look, standing in this school for superheroes, asking the coolest girl ever to love him. What do you say?"

Max's plans were a nice quiet walk through the woods to the lake. Then maybe back to to his room to watch movies and eat junkfood. He had the perfect film in mind, The Princess Bride! Maybe some making out. Maybe.... more.

All he needed was for her to say yes.

- - -

Bones pinched the bridge of his not-nose. But he could see the sense of it. They needed to deal with this. He look across to Sunbeam, who was making their best attempt to kill everyone by boring them to death. Sunbeam was one of those proffessors who you just wanted to punch through a brick wall. All arrogance, and full on snob up his own arse I know better then you because I'm old-ism. He'd not liked Bones from the first instant. Ever since he questioned if Max was really up to the challenge and Max questioned if his inexplicable hatred was because Max was black.

Okay, he wasn't. But hard to tell that from a skeleton.

He'd made Sunbeam look like an arsehole in front of everyone. And Sunbeam had never let it go! (Okay, dropping the race card was pretty mean, but no one poo poo talks his team and gets away with it.)

"In case you've not noticed, we're getting targeted. If we're getting targeted that puts the rest of the Citadel at risk through collateral damage. We need to nip this in the bud. If we don't then other students could pay the cost. Besides. We'll be fine, and I'll be right back to hiding whoopee cushions on your chair every couple days. Just like god intended." He flashes a little thumbs up, at the angry eye twitch from the Professor. Okay, he was pushing it. But Max had been raised with the idea that if someone hits you, you hit them back just as hard. Just.... not quite so obviously. Misdirection and alibis, that was where it was at.

He wasn't going to lie. He was worried. Max didn't want to see any of his team hurt. Especially Momo. With who things had been going pretty well. For all the pain and horror, there were times that becoming a superhero was pretty amazing.

"Our objective is simple. Identify the culprit. Neutralise their ability to target any member of the Citadel. If we do not have the right skills for the job, we'll call for specialist assistance. You brought us in to be heroes. This is what heroes do. Don't turn around and tell us we're not, or else what was the reason for bringing us here in the first place? We can do this. We're ready."

I hope.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Momo's got a couple notes as she emerges from the meeting. Firs, Bones carries a flask - several actually, but one definitely had liquor in it, which she'd more than helped herself too. Second, Simularcrum's loving AMAZING! She can turn into Terminators and Momos, and in Momo's opinion, more of her is a good thing! Just think about the possibility for pranks and shenanigans, plus she can get her (it?) to model clothing for her so she can order just the ones that are flattering. And third, that Mask is WEIRD as hell! It'd be an insanely good prank if she'd pulled it off, but she hadn't, so the Mask's disappearing act is mostly just creepy (but kinda funny too).

"Whoa, it just disappeared!" Momo remarks, giggling nervously. "Spooky~" She should so use the shadows to make another one, maybe have Mahakali pantomime wearing it, but yeah Bones suddenly has his arm over her shoulder and that takes a second to get used to. Bones has cold hands, as it turns out, but yeah that sort of makes sense to her now that she thinks about it. He's talking about making sure she's fit for duty, but Momo's pretty sure she knows what that actually means!

"Well, gotta go talk to Skelesavior," she tells her other teammates, pointing at him wholly unnecessarily. "Bet he wants to make me vice-captain~" He probably doesn't, but she'd be a great hilarious one, so now that she's said it it occurs to her what a good idea it is! Exiting the room with him, she's sure they have a lot to talk about.

-------------------------

Momo's "room" is just a shared half of a trailer now that the "campus" has slowly expanded - thank goodness, by the way, it's so much better than the tents they'd been in. Luckily her roommate's never here somehow, so she's basically unpacked her posters and clothes and artwork and taken over the room completely. Which leaves her and Bones alone, and he wants to show her some trick. She watches, and... uhhhh, hadn't been expecting that! Wow, Bones looks like Flesh - he's ninety percent of the way to human, there's just a few uncanny differences that she can spot. Still though, hell of a lot better than he'd looked before.

Bones has more than just that for her though! Turns out she was (obviously) right... he likes her. A lot. A lot a lot, from what he's saying, and she definitely can't think of a reason to doubt him. He's literally practiced this thing to make her happy, and she'd say that's paid off in spades. But how to respond?

Despite her grin, she decides to feign offense. "What? Aren't you the team captain, Skelesavior? Oh dear, oh no~ How inappropriate for you to ask a subordinate out!" She grabs his hand, then leans in to hug him. He's, uh, a little bit squishier than the average person, but it's not like she's regular - Mahakali floating a few feet behind her, silently chaperoning the two of them is proof enough of that. She leans in to hug him, and whispers into his ear "I don't mind inappropriate, and you're my best friend here, you're cool as hell and you loving saved my life, so yeah... so as to your question... that's a big Yes~" Then she grabs his butt, just to test out if his face can blush or not.

So yeah, she went on a date with - and is now apparently dating - a Skeleton Man. He was wearing his flesh for it, and she wore her favorite hoody and some skinny jeans, and they went on the walk he had planned, watched the movie Bones wanted to (Momo's seen Princess Bride approximately a billion times and can't refrain from quoting along with the best scenes in the movie) while spooning on his bed, and past that it's their business and not yours what went on between them, aside from it having been very fun.

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

Today though, no time for a date - they're getting sent out on the mission Trogdor Mandragon detailed the night before. Boarding the chopper and pretending to belt herself into her seat, Momo's not in any sort of uniform, as per usual - it looks like she picked out a black tanktop, leather jacket, sunglasses, and skinny jeans as her outfit for this mission. Mahakali's taken another seat behind her, buckling up even though he's an immortal shadow-being and also doesn't have any legs.

As she looks around at her teammates as they get ready for this particular bout of upcoming craziness, she can't help but snark, despite being visibly more relaxed "Buckle up ladies, boys, and Bones - we've got a theme park to save!" They've got an actual, honest to god, mission at Halcyon Coasters - she's totally unsure of why, Bones probably knows, but she's not going to complain about it - it sounds like an opportunity to go on a free date with Bones!

She's got more to think about than just the mission, though - like, for example, the damage she just did to the trailer next to hers. Her so-called classmates within it had decided to be derisive towards her a few times about her new relationship, making some very uncool (not to mention uncreative) necrophilia jokes... and as such, she'd basically tracked down about a hundred stink bombs, and set ALL of them off slightly before departing for the chopper. Wonder how they feel about that? 'cuz Momo's feeling great about it.

Snickering about her prank, she turns her humor towards the rest of her team, distracting herself before she heads back into danger (and a possible hospital visit) again. "Yo Max, find any other haunted Kink-wear in the past couple days, since that seems to be your thing? Skelesavior prolly wants to investigate, since that seems to be HIS thing." It isn't actually, but that's between the two of them. "And Simulacrum, watched the movies I recommended yet? Seriously I got a huge list for you... any chance you get Wireless and can torrent, by the way?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Freak 0 Danger 0 Savior +2 Superior 0 Mundane +1
Potential 1

"Awww, we're glad you're here though!" Momo says, while one of Makahali's hands looms at Max's shoulder like a tenebrous shoulderpad.

It takes a bit for Max to register Momo's sincerity, shaken by a blast from the past that was more of an ill wind, and already tussling with... well, there's at least one kind of self-something slouching around under that unassuming dude-ish skin.

He peeks up. "Thanks. I appreciate that." In the spirit of sincerity, he raises two fingers together. "Scout's honor."

"They're... retired," Max tells Simulacrum, passing over words like 'faded'. "They started about the time people-- humans spread over the British Isles, and they were all gone by the start of the 20th century, off to some alternate dimension you need a black hole and a crowbar to get to now."

Max watches Simulacrum form a cube around the mask, as easily as pinching and dragging to make a box on the computer. He flinches as the lights flicker again, then rises to his feet and looks suspiciously around at corners and the ceiling for signs that the thing has somehow snuck away.

An actual, tangible shadow? Max shivers at the thought, and the memory of its touch. He's going to need a night-light tonight.

---

"Rufio says he saw the mask last night, when he went out to the john! He says it was just hanging in the air, like an invisible person was wearing it!"

"Meg says that Jill heard somebody whispering in the dark. You think it's that mask?"
"Sounds more like that Vlad guy. You know what vampires are like."
"Jill? He hardly knows she's alive, not with--"

Rumors. The worst part of high school, no matter the era. The more outlandish they are, the more virulent they get, and some of the ones Max has heard over the last few days could probably survive the heat death of the universe. The worst thing is, some of the other kids are actually starting to scare themselves.

The question Max has been facing down is, is the truth any better? Spook stories are one thing, but letting everybody know that yes, an old-school, worst of the worst supervillain has been mailing parts of his costume to the Citadel... would that help them, or would that just throw gas on the fire?

Max splits the difference. It's tempting, it's real drat tempting, to play up his reputation as Rip van Maxxy, the kid out of time, and spin a yarn about the Golden Age of the Citadel and some no-poo poo stories... but that wouldn't help anybody. It'd just cement him as an outsider, and they might just build on the story, turning Black Mask into something worse. It's not great work, but he does his best to defuse the worst rumours and encourage a kind of... self-defense. With apologies to Vlad, it's something like encouraging people to put up garlic and carry a handful of rice in your pocket, without spelling out every detail of what a vampire is.

Somewhere in those days, when he isn't up way too late with Vlad, chatting about things past or the things that he missed, or just plain up and thinking about that mask again, Max manages to dream.

---

It was meadow and rolling hills all around, marked with rocky outcroppings. The sun was somewhere back over his shoulder, providing light but little heat; cold remnants of an ocean-borne breeze stirred lush grass and the surface of a nearby pond.

It wasn't his dream, he realized, digging in the dirt by the pond-side. If it had been, the earth would have given up skipping stones, like that time he went camping by the lake. Instead there was only pebbles, worn tiny by time.

His hand was a giveaway too. Her hand, slimmer, a bit longer, better manicured. The rest of her didn't require inspection. Max felt the muscles in her back knot as she waited for someone to speak. She knew, somehow, that he wouldn't be alone while dreaming like this.

"This was one of her favorite places to rest and consider the world," a gentle, masculine voice noted behind him. Max's shoulders relaxed, slumping. Not who he was expecting.

"Oh. Lemme guess. Roz would toss pebbles in, one by one, and watch the ripples cancel each other," He tossed a few, limp wristedly, to illustrate.

"...by the handful, actually, like a stone rain," the voice replied. Max laughed, and rose with a fluidity that was all hers.

Few of the fey chose to age beyond the glow of youth. The figure standing behind her was no different, but something about the way he carried himself and the cast of his eyes suggested that the soul enthroned within was very old indeed.

"gently caress. For a second there, I was sure you were going to be Ciaran," Max said, with a shiver. "Not what I needed. Like, ever."

"He does wear his heart on his sleeve."

"Yeah, but that's not the only organ he dangles there!" Max scowled and rubbed at her face. "Anyway. Why are you here? How?"

"You called."

Max squinted at the other elf, hard enough to scar stone. "You mean this is going to happen every time I have a lovely day and... gently caress, why is my life turning into that Mazes and Muppets movie? I don't want to screw David Bowie or Ciaran!"

"I'll refrain from mentioning that to--"

"No. Do it. Maybe he'll finally loving figure out that I'm not goddamn Roz!"

The male-presenting elf was silent.

"Anyway. Why. How."

"You are of us, as much as you are of mortal stock, and you shine like a beacon in a world that has mourned and since forgotten our kind. When you call, we can hear to cast a line."

It was Max's turn to be quiet. She folded her arms, made a face, and folded them again a bit lower.

"I came in hopes of convincing you to return with me. One moment to listen, that's all I will ask. We lost Rhoswen, through tragedy and sacrifice. The thought of losing her daughter--"

"I'M NOT--"

"You are as much her daughter as you are your mortal parents' son. Even if you deny us your presence, please, do not deny her that."

Max's response was a staring, stony silence.

"There is a darkness stirring in the world of men. We fear that it will try to dim your light... or that you will follow in Rhoswen's footsteps."

---

Max boards the chopper and grabs a seat, stretching her legs out and getting the butt of a revolver in her side. Stupid belt. Frowning, she considers herself. Maybe it's time to change things up? Urban camo. A poncho like the Man With No Name. Sneakers?

Oh, right. Seatbelts.

"Uh?" he blears, peering at Momo. Sleep has not been kind to him the last few nights. "No, just that pic of fruit leather underwear marked 'Eat Me!' when I was working on that Alice in Wonderland essay."

"Anybody been to this park before? I don't remember hearing about it, so I guess it's after my time."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The teammates have been... less than understandable. The elf gunslinger seems to be randomly alternating between daydreaming and actually paying attention to their surroundings, and even then they're nearly indecipherable. At the very least she explained the whole elves thing. The fact that there is literally no evidence on the internet backing her words is a bit strange however.

The boy made out of bones is perhaps even stranger. He seems aware of her presence only half the time, at best. Which is strange considering the fact that the hard-light shell is glowing brightly, a thing humans usually find eye-catching. And even if he does engage in dialogue, he seems completely incapable, or perhaps even unwilling, to listen to her explanations. Seems a bit odd considering his position as team leader.

The girl with the moving shadow, however, has been at least somewhat decipherable. According to the information I was able to download, this is fairly standard human teenager behavior. And she certainly has been the most willing to interact with.

And that's only the team! There have been some arrivals that literally caused so many logical errors I was unable to continue to try and compute them. Superpowers are illogical.

But this girl is the absolute worst in this regard.

Calling herself Rose-Maiden, this girl is the most ridiculous affront to science I have ever witnessed. She claims she is a magical girl, whatever that is, and she seems to have a wide array of just as illogical powers. Such as being largely immune to mundane damage (... I have still not found a definition for this), being able to create plants stronger than steel, and so on.

Merely thinking about her gives me what I can only describe as a headache, which is also impossible considering I have none of the biological requirements for such a thing. Even worse, however, is the fact that she won't leave me alone. I've been trying to avoid her for the previous reasons, but she has apparently made it her goal to 'befriend' me.

... I've spent most of my time interacting with Hadron. He seems the most knowledgeable about technology around here, and I was hoping he could help me understand my own existence more. So far, we have not found out anything major, but I feel like we are both gaining from this cooperation.

---

Momo, surprisingly, sees through Simulacrum's attempt to impersonate Momo, as she suggested she should do, immediately.

"I am impressed. and here I thought my impersonation of you was perfect, Momo. How did you see through this disguise?" I ask her. "Oh, that is true. I did watch the movies you recommended. They taught me much about how an AI should act. I must thank you for the recommendation. But now I require access to a gun store to follow through on that advice. Do you have a recommendation on that also? I'm also looking into a starting a factory. I do not have the capabilities for a full scale production line..."

And then she mentions wireless and torrenting. Finally, something I have data on!

"Of course, Momo. I have a wireless range of up to 3 kilometers with a data transfer rate of 1,4532 gigabytes per second download and 0,742 gigabytes upload at my disposal. As for torrenting, most certainly! Although I am still confused about the whole concept. I can just copy everything directly from the source. What is the advantage of torrents, which are slow, unreliable, and oftentimes infested with dangerous software?"

Momo shows you around and tells you how things work.

The behavior of Elf-Max confuses you again and again.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Scene 4 - Halcyon Coasters
Team: 0 - Influence - Citadel Development - Quick Reference

Night begins to fall as the rickety chopper approaches Halcyon Coasters, but the dusk is soon replaced by bright, neon lights and joyous screams, undercut by the everpresent circus music of the theme park. It's a relatively new park, but recent investments from an unknown person (or unknown persons) has seen it skyrocket in popularity, with ads on every other network channel and a few dozen endorsements scattered throughout media and sports. Still, there's no beating honest-to-goodness fun, and what the park lacks in transparency, it makes up for in variety - with eye-popping coasters, fantastical rides, and games galore. Not to mention, a top-of-the-line restaurant broken up into the three various sections.

As the chopper starts to land, you can spot some sort of security officer standing on the helipad. She frowns as the vehicle sets down, then motions for you all to step off. "Hi," she states flatly, "I'm Security Chief Monoka. You must be the kids from Citadel."

Security Chief Mariko Monoka

The chopper takes off behind you, and as the winds and noise dies down, she stands up taller and straightens her hair. "Look," she begins, "I don't want this to take any longer than it has to. Somehow your people pulled rank, but this is a high-revenue night for us. Don't cause a disturbance, don't cause any problems, and above all else," she lines a judgmental eye towards Momo, "Don't get in my way."

Momo: Monoka clearly feels like you're going to be the one causing trouble. How does that make you feel? Do you say anything to her?

She escorts you through the back offices of the theme park and out onto the concourse proper. Hundreds of visitors rush past you in just about every direction. Monoka points to a low-tech guide robot designed to help people find key points throughout the park. "Just follow that," she states bluntly, before turning on her heel and heading back inside the park offices.

Simulacrum: Something seemed a bit off about Monoka - that eye - it's an implant. What do you know about that kind of technology? What does that make you feel about Monoka, and about people using technology to improve their bodies?

You follow the bot, past thousands of visitors, dozens of rides, and countless vendors selling pretty much everything you'd expect. This place, it really is something. But, as you begin nearing your destination...

Bones: What section of the park are you heading towards (like, Forest, Future, etc)? What's your destination within the park?

...something completely out of place jumps out into the crowd!

Max: What is it that jumps out? Why is it threatening?!

Everybody: Figure this stuff out:

When you enter battle against a dangerous foe as a team, add two to the Team pool.
  • If the leader has Influence over every teammate, add another Team.
  • If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another Team.
  • If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a Team.
  • If your team is ill-prepared or off-balance, remove a Team.
The leader of the team can mark a condition to avoid removing a Team from the pool.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sorry for lack of post recently. Shockingly being in constant pain really kills your creativity. :(

- - -

Potential 2/5 | Conditions: |
Location: What if there was somewhere with all the fizz of Nuka-cola?

Momo said yes. Holy gently caress, everything was amazing, she was amazing. Oh god. He felt human. HE FELT loving HUMAN!

NO YOU DON'T GET IT! HUMAN! ACTUALLY loving HUMAN AND REAL AND poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!

- - -
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

Clearing Afraid. Marking potential.

Def saying Momo is Cool. Giving her influence. As she already has that, pick some labels for me to shift! Also +1 Team!
- - -

The chopper rattled it's way through the air. Some of the kids back at the Citadel could make something a little more reliable then this bargain bin Russian crap. But given that they were working with anti-grav stuff that he wouldn't even pretend to understand it was probably better to stay low key. On the plus side Momo, rested he head on his sholdier for most of the trip. Ahh, ectoplasmic cushioning, super comfy and didn't get too hot ether (because all the heat was being expelled out of his cheeks. Yes it was possible to make him blush, shut your face).

Stepping off, Bones got his first look at the place. The park was pretty cool. And super busy too. Thank the loa he'd learned this shape shifting trick. Made blending in easier. Amazingly, some people really panicked when they saw a skeleton wandering around. Arseholes. He glances at this security chief. His first impression was not favourable. She felt like a merc from a bad movie. All cold unwelcoming glares. But even so, he couldn't let that look pass by.

No one talks poo poo about his team. No one.

"Chief Monoka, if you have a problem with any of the members of my team. You say it to my face." Bones gave her one of his looks. Where his face was a little bit off. In an uncanny valley sort of way. And instead of irises he just had a blackness into the empty back of his eye sockets. It was bloody unsettling. He knew. He'd used it on a couple of unsuspecting students during a ghost story camp fire thing. "I've been told I'm a great listener." He grinned. Blinked, and set his face back to normal. The whole switch only lasted a few seconds, long enough that it could have been a trick of the light.

With them on their way following the service bot, Bones checked one of the maps they'd been provided of the park. "The Jungle zone" was a huge tropical themed area. Rollercosters, massive trees, foot bridges, hell it even had a biodome with an actual jungle inside. That was where they were going. The message couldn't have been more clear. Get lost (in the jungle). Cute. Still, they had a job to do here. Find out about who the hell was targeting them. And with a park as big as this, they'd have to split up to cover more ground. Two teams sounded good. Elf-Max and Sim checking out the "Star Station zone", and him and Momo... checking out whatever the hell they could get onto.

Yes, he was totally thinking about work. And if he knew Momo, she was likely thinking the exact same thing... Even so, they'd have to be on guard, they could be attacked at any moment....

Like right loving now apparently?

- - -
I hold influence on everyone +1
Do we all hold the same objective in this fight? (+0/+1)
Does anyone mistrust me? No I'm awesome
Are we unprepared? I'm not, but unsure about anyone else. (+0/-1)
+1 Team from Momo being cool. :3:

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread