Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DeathMuffin posted:

If nobody can, it ends up going to a new election. This power does become relevant in hung parliaments where coalitions can't be formed, and where a party loses half a dozen members through silly stuff like not making sure their candidates weren't dual-citizens *cough*

That's actually a really important point, though. And a delicious one.

The constitution says you can only be a federal politician if you are solely a citizen of Australia. Why? Because racism, naturally.

Well, something like 49% of Australians we either born overseas or are the child of someone who was, making us the most multicultural country ever. Which is great.

But, it means that if you want to be elected at a federal level in Australia you really need to check your family history. Of course, the born to rule types of the LNP didn't because they were all too arrogant and now they're currently getting slapped about by the supreme court because it turns out a whole bunch are actually dual citizens and didn't know it.

Oops.

More than half a dozen LNP senators - including the deputy PM himself - have been forced to resign.

This cost the LNP their majority. They were maintaining power through a coalition with independent senators but, as I said before, the independents all want marriage equality and an investigation into the banks.

So many tears to drink today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait a sec. Doesn't this mean your country will hit a point where no one can run for public office due to dual citizenship?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Australian citizenship did not exist until almost 1950 - everyone who would have had it instead possessed British citizenship. The constitution's terms declaring effectively that dual citizenship is not allowed in legislators (iirc it uses the term "allegiances") was written with the rest of the constitution well before that point.

When Australian citizenship was introduced, no one lost their British citizenship unless they specifically renounced it. So, vast amounts of the equivalent to the American baby boomer generation and early gen x in Australia have British citizenship arranged for by British citizen parents, because being able to go live in the UK was useful, as well as Australian citizenship by right of birth.

This also means that technically tons of past legislators were also in violation, but no one bothered to investigate then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Australia is the most multi-cultured country on the planet? :lol:

According to wikipedia 26% of Aussie residents are born abroad, but the majority of those are English or Kiwi.

Australia is over 90% white European. They don't actually take race into account on census because they're lily white in general.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty funny that they have to denounce any allegiance to the foreign Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and swear allegiance only to the Queen of Australia to take office. I wonder if she shows up and wears disguises.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

Australia is the most multi-cultured country on the planet? :lol:

You're right. I should have phrased that better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They do have more of a mixed bag, especially from SE Asia, than a lot of other commonwealth nations, though. I learned some stuff while looking up just how to respond to you :v:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the effort post, I wasn't quite clear what exactly was happening in Australia and why the same-sex marriage vote was crashing the government. This really cleared it for me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Way to go Australia!

https://twitter.com/BBC/status/938724805515337728?s=17
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/938737913193488385?s=17
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/938731793536180224?s=17

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Thalantos posted:

The leader of my country just joked about how his second in command wants to genocide queers.
That's not fringe.

Edit: I got called a human being and threatened with violence on the train just a few weeks ago and ain't NOBODY else on that train did a drat thing.

cis autodrag posted:

I'm so happy for you. For trans people the hate is still right out in the open, everywhere. We get called trannies on the street, people follow us to the bathroom or the car, we get kicked out of changing rooms in department stores, we're murdered at a much higher rate than other groups, our suicide rate is through the roof, and our own government is at the forefront of finding new ways to persecute us.

If you have stuff to say about the gay experience feel free, but Kramering into a conversation about trans people to assert that lifesaving treatments are problematic in your view as a cis gay dude and then telling us about how hate free your life is is real hosed up. Please don't mute other people's challenges and traumas by bragging about how great it is for gays in the year 2017.

I wasn't Kramering, I just wasn't being honest enough and I'm sorry about that. I sort-of came out as trans/non-binary a week ago and got epithets for wearing v-neck shirts in 3 days so I get it. I was wrong. Frankly it was eye-opening and you know, I wasn't about to doubt your anecdotes regardless. gently caress sake people I stopped moderating my gait -entirely- in public and I'm getting stink-eye like I'm wearing a fursuit.

SALT

Shitmas it was nasty. Couldn't tolerate presence of individual who should not own or talk about guns. Somebody told me a childhood friend would have cut his wrists anyway. Lacking confidence the company would do anything I sent in a formal complaint. I tell boss I am going to punch points-guns-at-wife-tells-trans-coworker-who-has-had-guns-pointed-at-them if he shows up and we are alone. I leave rather than assaulting someone, and have an emotional reaction. LOL FIRST EMOTIONAL REACTION IN A YEAR YOU ARE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

I dunno, it got really important to me. Like, how do I feel this way, and how am I okay with that? Are people getting hurt? And it's like, I dunno sis, you do you, people are getting hurt everywhere. poo poo I'm hurting my own self right now. Maybe they do. Maybe the reason it's not a problem for me is that I got hurt in a worse way. My outward identity is a 900-line-long video game script I never STFU about, I wear cotton potato sacks. I pulled the gently caress away from life because I couldn't understand why I just didn't fit anywhere.

Let me get that self-actualization of once-done-right and I'll be doing 2nd-gig wearing bedazzled potato sacks and proud of it. I'll probably never be into stuff that wasn't there for me, but you notice I'm not into any of the stuff I was forced into... either.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I wasn't Kramering, I just wasn't being honest enough and I'm sorry about that. I sort-of came out as trans/non-binary a week ago and got epithets for wearing v-neck shirts in 3 days so I get it. I was wrong. Frankly it was eye-opening and you know, I wasn't about to doubt your anecdotes regardless. gently caress sake people I stopped moderating my gait -entirely- in public and I'm getting stink-eye like I'm wearing a fursuit.

SALT

Shitmas it was nasty. Couldn't tolerate presence of individual who should not own or talk about guns. Somebody told me a childhood friend would have cut his wrists anyway. Lacking confidence the company would do anything I sent in a formal complaint. I tell boss I am going to punch points-guns-at-wife-tells-trans-coworker-who-has-had-guns-pointed-at-them if he shows up and we are alone. I leave rather than assaulting someone, and have an emotional reaction. LOL FIRST EMOTIONAL REACTION IN A YEAR YOU ARE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

I dunno, it got really important to me. Like, how do I feel this way, and how am I okay with that? Are people getting hurt? And it's like, I dunno sis, you do you, people are getting hurt everywhere. poo poo I'm hurting my own self right now. Maybe they do. Maybe the reason it's not a problem for me is that I got hurt in a worse way. My outward identity is a 900-line-long video game script I never STFU about, I wear cotton potato sacks. I pulled the gently caress away from life because I couldn't understand why I just didn't fit anywhere.

Let me get that self-actualization of once-done-right and I'll be doing 2nd-gig wearing bedazzled potato sacks and proud of it. I'll probably never be into stuff that wasn't there for me, but you notice I'm not into any of the stuff I was forced into... either.

I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just pointing out how folks experiences can really differ. Fwiw, I was a pretty oblivious privileged shitbag before I transitioned and bigotry smacked me hard in the face (not literally, thank god)

I'm sorry you're getting crap from folks. It really does legitimately suck. ::hugs::

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FantasticExtrusion posted:

SALT

I'd like to say "it gets better" but, in this culture, all I can say for certain is "you get stronger."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aleph Null posted:

I'd like to say "it gets better" but, in this culture, all I can say for certain is "you get stronger."

This is sage right here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Or you just get very tired.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Being different for pretty much any reason can be exhausting. I mean, social attention is just tiring for everyone at some point I think.

I could vent some more but maybe not.

thx, btw

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-hampshire-transgender-20180307-story.html%3foutputType=amp

We fuckin did it! :toot:

E: To clarify, the anti-discrimination amendment only passed the NH house and still needs to go through the senate, but the house tends slightly more conservative than the senate in NH so it's looking good.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Super nice.

Also as a hilarious footnote to the australian stuff from before. In the last few months since the Deputy Prime Minister australia was found to be a dual citizen and removed from government, they held an expensive by-election to rush him back into power amid rumors that he'd seperated from his wife and kids because he'd gotten one of his staff pregnant. Surely it's just rumors, and he got voted back in.

Months later Barnaby was found to have impregnated one staffer, obtained an abortion for another, seperated from his family, is living in a suspiciously rent-free apartment provided by a building magnate that benefitted most from his pork barreling, been denounced by the prime minister, launched his own scathing attack before being removed as leader of his party and is now sitting on the backbench giving interviews about how he doesnt even know if he's the father of the baby or not.

Also there's now a ban on loving your staff, aka the bonk ban in Canberra.

:allears:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone here willing to talk to a masculine acting gay dude looking for a masculine acting gay dude? If so pm would be cool

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is there anyone here willing to talk to a masculine acting gay dude looking for a masculine acting gay dude? If so pm would be cool

Might have better luck in the Fabgoon Thread. It's a lot more active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Liquid Communism posted:

Might have better luck in the Fabgoon Thread. It's a lot more active.

General gay chat got moved: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853443

• Locked thread