Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Always call out fair weather allies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aleph null makes good points in a good post.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

Don't really agree with the last part, sure we each have our own sets of unique difficulties and obstacles but the root cause is the same. We're all judged and occasionally victimised for not conforming to socially accepted behavioural norms.

That's true, but the lgb is still separate from the t, they're different things, with different issues they have to deal with.

Shoot, even the l, g and b are allies in that sense. Lesbians have different concerns fun gay men who have different concerns for bisexuals.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

[quote="Eimi" post="467804600"]
I mean as a trans woman any relationship I have could be seen as either gay or lesbian, can't win there. :v:
[/quote.

Same here, I feel ya, it kinda sucks.

We're gay regardless of who we're in a relationship with :(

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

stone cold posted:

Does it solve people thinking we don't exist?

Does this really matter, tho? Like, it's just an opinion, as long as we get legal protections, who gives a crap?

I'm bi.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

But that applies to everyone who's lgbt? Why are the Bs different?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

T folk need something better than being lumped in with the LGB.

We get thrown under the bus on a regular basis, most queer cis folks I've met seem too be smug about supporting T, ect.

Unfortunately splitting away would pretty much lose what political power we have, so I gotta hang around and hope I get treated right by the other queers.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

How is that really any different from any other baby queer that doesn't know what's up?

When I was under the impression that bisexuals are just confused, a stepping stone to being gay, all that other crap, I also had to deal with trans phobic crap put out by mainstream society.

It strikes me more as a need to educate people on queer identities to begin with....

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I don't think they're really political issues, either, except in the sense that everything is political.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/12/14/polish-journalist-says-he-risks-being-deported-from-usa-for-being-bisexual-and-not-gay/

Okay, here's an example of someone bi being discriminated against and running into legal issues.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dug further into it out of curiosity. He is being targetted not because he is bi, but rather because he ruffled a bunch of feathers exposing corruption and other bullshit going down at the polish consulate.

Additionally marriages that are between a citizen and someone that is not and is attempting to get citizenship are heavily scrutinized. The fact that the two of them are bi does not preclude the relationship from being a sham. The government will have the burden i presume of demonstrating this in court. If their marriage is indeed legitimate, they'll easily be able to prove it in court. They aren't being scrutinized because they're bi. They're under the microscope because he is a political dissident in his home country and may be lying about his relationship as a roundabout way of achieving permanent asylum.

Maybe.

It's still some bullshit, tho, because, like, he's having his bisexuality used against him

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Well... Aren't you just denying their identities now? What are you gonna do, show him pics of women and see if he pops a boner?

Let him be. Immigration laws in this country and screwed, anyways

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

That honestly sounds really similar to trans gate keeping.

Dude says he's bi, just go with it.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not about denying their identities. Its the standard process for investigating into the legitimacy of any marriage. This particular marriage has all of the classic signs of an illegitimate one and will get additional scrutiny as a result. That isn't to say that the couple is lying or anything.

That's probably what will happen in court unless there is enough evidence that the marriage is actually a sham and the bi story is just an excuse.

They shouldn't need to prove their marriage regardless

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok they backed off the ethics changes.

Can you suggest that we take kids from their parents for Wrong Think again so we can just see this to it's logical conclusion.

What "wrong think"?
Some of those beliefs parents have are abusive, and they should have their kids taken away

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

"wrong think" is whatever the people in charge say it is.

So the abusive beliefs would fall under "religious views" and be considered exempt. Unless it's not Christianity, then the child's welfare becomes more important.
At least, that's how it would probably play out.
As it is, parents can have children die under their care to their beliefs (such as Church of Christ, Scientist which believes prayer can cure everything), and not be held accountable until it becomes a trend.

Still child abuse.
As a queer kid raised in a conservative home schooled Christian household, I was raised to believe I was going to burn in hell for my gender identity.

I didn't know all this at the time I was a little kid, I just thought I was a bad person regardless.

That poo poo is child abuse.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Your upbringing sounds similar to mine, and yah, I live in the south..

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore, tbh.

Your right, it's terrible, but what can you do when everyone believes it?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

But....conservatives DO think being poor is a mental illness

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Bit of good news, the state senator that has been responsible for pushing "religious liberty" bills the past few years got demoted by his own party, scuttlebutt is this is because he kept on pushing for it the past few years.

I guess be glad the Georgia republicans are more of the big business than religious right type?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

When I got my disability for a mental illness, I felt really crappy for a week or two because I was "disabled", but I've gotten a bit better at accepting it and realizing its part of who I am and owning it.

It can be hard to work through having a social stigma.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I think we're gonna find out in the future that transgenderism is basically going to be a variant of intersexuality that only affects the brain.

That's my hot take.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr nice, your A loving rear end in a top hat.

She also got thrown under the bus by her chain of command even though it was obvious she was having issues and shouldn't be there.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'm not even talking about the gender stuff, I'm talking about the classified info released.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Why did all the people she worked with who saw her violating OPSEC not do anything about it and not get punished?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

fishmech posted:

I thought you worked in the military? You should know exactly how that happened - soldiers are lazy with security all the time. If anyone even noticed she was moving data around they probably were like "oh they're trying to sneak some games at work!" or something like that. I doubt she was like wearing a big ol' hat with the text "FYI I'M STEALING SECRETS" on it.

Leaks from the military and other classified information sources happen constantly. Even people doing it and sending it straight out into the public (as opposed to legit foreign spies/moles covertly sending stuff to their handlers) happens at least every couple years.

I mean, that's kinda exactly my point; you're supposed to report security violations. Yeah, they're awkward to work with, but, well, they're in place for a reason.

People reported that they saw her bring in a CD-r into the SCIF she worked in, and no one cared that it was against regs because everyone else was bringing in movies to watch and music to listen to.

Edit: I'm not in the military anymore, but part of my job when I was, was to enforce proper safeguarding of sensitive information.

Like, yah, I know that soldiers are lazy and break these laws, that's why there are soldiers like me who investigated and arrested if necessary, troops who were disobeying those laws.

Dwanyelle fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, the army is definitely terrible.

I guess, maybe, my roundabout point is that she messed up, and needed to receive a punishment for that, but she was also let down by a system that let things escalate to that point.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your life is worth more than that.

Besides, you won't take anyone out if they come to get you, they're too well trained and equipped.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Ivanka and Kushner have no impact on policy and even if they did, they only care about finance. They're not gonna help us. We're ruled by Sessions and Bannon now.

Eh, I don't think that's true.

Kushner, at least, is a big(bigly?) Influence on 45,

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sessions already pulled title IX protection for trans students.

Oh, I'm keeping up to date on this stuff, I'm well aware.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't think of a nicer way to word this, but statistically speaking, you give an LGBT person a gun and it's only gonna end up shooting one person

I'd rather go out quickly by my own hand than be beaten to death, tbh

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The pink pistols are pretty cool, you should support them

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Equipment helps empower folks, though

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Culture at large is transphobic.

Humans pick up the values of the surrounding culture(s), even if they disagree with them.

So everyone is transphobic.

The important thing to do, is to recognize and fight against this.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

But the pre hb status quo isn't being returned to, cause now local govt can't pass gender identity non discrimination :(

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I wish these cowards would come down here

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Not having additional protections sucks, but it's no different than how it was before.

Except now people are up in arms about trans folk in restrooms.

We just ended up with a larger target on our backs.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I've gotta go to work

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Eimi posted:

If I could get paid for that, or have a spouse who would tolerate supporting me, that'd be awesome. :v: not even happening, but awesome

Housework is hard, you could be a housewife?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

No one with power actually gives a gently caress about helping trans folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'll point out like I have elsewhere that I can't afford a passport, sure in part to policies Clinton supported, so that's really irrelevant for me

• Locked thread