Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

William Bear posted:

Powerful stuff. Are these the strongest words a Federal official has ever said in support of transgender rights?

I just read the whole transcript (it's not long).
As a middle-aged trans woman who hides her trans status out of fear, knowing that the federal government sees me as a human being with rights, and not an abomination to be shunned... It brought tears to my eyes and to my wife's. It's acceptance on a scale I didn't think I'd see for another decade at least.
It gives me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That DOJ statement is why getting out and vote this year is so important. All that support goes bye bye in a Republican administration.

Honestly, it's enough to make me vote Hillary. I was on the fence before.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

How can they have so much hatred?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CommieGIR posted:

They get the same sort of legal loophole as military style discipline camps for troubled teens, and nobody will dare touch them because the Evangelical crowd would political murder you.

I think their clout is on its way out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Insect Court posted:

Firstly, current blood donation guidelines only prohibit donations from MSM who have been sexually active in the past 12 months, not indefinitely. Secondly, the prohibition does not disappear if you lie, it is merely circumvented. If the dentist asks you if you're allergic to any medications and you say that you're not, your allergy to penicillin does not disappear.

Let's say you are a gay man married to another gay man. You still have to be abstinent for a loving year to donate a literally life-saving fluid. And stay abstinent if you want to give as often as you can.
You are married. Married. But no sex.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Schubalts posted:

But by the same logic, all the women will marry each other, and they won't be single anymore!

Everybody knows women have no sexual agency of their own!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Keeshhound posted:

Their commitment to being as lovely as possible is almost inspiring in it's wretchedness.

I'd do it if they'd pay for it. In a heartbeat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

A Pale Horse posted:

Except it wasn't and that's revisionist trans history bullshit. It was started by gay men mostly and attempting to make trans women the heroes of gay history while marginalizing the real heroes is not going to win you any friends except among the tumblr crowd.

If you include transvestite in there, it's not that wrong. But that was just gay guys in drag, sooo.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Are they betting on a Trump win and a conservative Supreme Court nomination?

It could easily go either way. From "of course we meant it covered everything" to "we left that out on purpose".

Isn't the reason they limited the opinion the way they did precisely so they wouldn't be making a sweeping change and they want additional cases through the courts to hash it out?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This is going to be a tough four years.

But, it is not the end.

The Republicans didn't get exactly what they wanted (Trump was nobody but the people's choice) and I think they will have enough rope to hang themselves.
The next four year will see them work to roll-back progress and enact right to discriminate bills. But the corporate side of the party has lost the appetite for this sort of thing because embracing LGBT makes more money.
I hope that this next four years will signal the destruction of the Republicans as we know them. It already started. Repubs were claiming support for Clinton over Trump because she is still a Wall Street candidate. It wasn't enough to win, but the Right has to have seen the damage the religious extremists are causing.
They are losing younger voters, and, if anything can get them out to vote, it's going to be President Trump.

The next four years will be terrible and maybe afterward depending on the Supreme Court. And we will have to live through them, but I think, if we can make it, the other side will be a slow ride toward progress. Four years is just a paragraph in the next generation's history books, and an embarrassing footnote in a hundred years. Experiencing it, however, will be tough and seem like a lifetime. It will hurt and wear us down, may even kill some of us, but we must push through to the other side because it will get better after it gets worse.

To look at it another way, the accelerationists got their wish. Let's hope it was worth it.

What I hate the most is the validation this election gave every hateful bigot and frightened old, white person. This election tells them that they were right: immigrants are ruining the country, gays and transgenders are destroying the concept of family, health-care is a privilege not a right, and corporations know how to best regulate themselves. They will double-down while the rest of us struggle to progress forward. That's that saddens me. These people had a marvelous chance to grow up and learn some empathy, but now, they have no reason to.

I'm scared for my family. I'm a transgender woman married to a cisgender woman. My birth certificate says M because Tennessee has a law against changing them for being transgender. Luckily my gender has been fixed in Social Security and on my driver's license. The company I work for just announced last month that they are finally going to offer health insurance that includes transgender-related care instead of explicitly denying it. I wonder if they would have done that if they knew who was going to win the elections. I better get my poo poo scheduled for next year, or I'll probably not have a chance for another half-decade.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Artificer posted:

The people used their power to vote in Trump which no corporation or expert or what have you wanted.

How much of that was from "progressives" not voting for Hillary because she wasn't Bernie?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Olympus posted:

Hahahahahahaha

They only think it makes more money so long as it looks like public opinion is in their favor. US Corporations didn't care about selling to the Nazis until the US declared war.

The Trump presidency is an announcement that hate is okay for everyone. I'm ready for the entire US infrastructure being pointed directly towards the actual genocide of all of us

I have more faith in Capitalistic Greed than you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It's going to loving suck, but it won't suck as much as it could have. Trump is a giant, narcissistic, child who likes getting his way and throws his weight around when he doesn't. If you think the Republicans can control him or even guide him, you are crazy. He's not a Republican, or a Democrat; he's Trump.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Fear can be healthy if it leads to action. For me, fear is giving way to anger and determination, as it should.
For others, it may lead to fatalism and hopelessness.
We have hope. That hope is us and our voices.

Stop complaining on the Internet and start calling / writing your representatives. Start pulling together in your neighborhoods to foster solidarity. Start letting minorities know that, just because Trump was elected, doesn't mean everybody hates them.
My doctor voted for Trump because Hillary "is a crook." He treats my wife and I well and is affable and friendly. He's also a straight, white male. He has the luxury of voting for Trump. It doesn't mean he suddenly turned his back on LGBT people. It means it didn't even occur to him because he has privileges that he doesn't even see.

These people need to see us and understand us and know us. My own doctor doesn't understand, so we have a lot of work to do.

Be out. Be proud. Lead by example.

We need marches. We need the National Guard sending in the dogs and hitting us with fire hoses. We need standoffs and arrests.
gently caress, I'm a middle-aged transgender woman with an ailing wife. I can't do poo poo but give other groups money and tell people I support them. So I do that.

If you want to worry, then, fine, worry. But start looking for ways to make a difference.

I'm in the St Louis area.
So I have groups like these to give me direction
https://promoonline.org/ - PROMO is Missouri's statewide organization advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equality through legislative action, electoral politics, grassroots organizing, and community education.
http://www.hrc.org/local-issues/missouri - Human Rights Campaign fights for LGBTQ equality in Missouri alongside state and local groups and lawmakers. Find out more about what HRC is doing for LGBTQ equality in Missouri and how you can get involved with the local communities in Kansas City and St. Louis.
and sites like this to help me figure out who to patronize.
http://explorestlouis.com/discover/st-louis-lgbt/lgbt-friendly-neighborhoods/
http://pridestl.org/

A few Google searches should tell you what is available in your area.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, depending on how ballsy you/your doctor are, you can straight up lie to get your BC changed. I haven't because I'm hoping to do SRS soon, but I've known several people who had their doctor sign a sworn statement that they had undergone "gender correcting procedures" and the judge found this acceptable evidence to order the birth certificate updated. It's not like the judge is going to ask you to lift your skirt up to confirm, unless Kansas's laws are even more evil than I thought.

Some states won't change your BC if you are transgender, regardless of treatment or GRS. They have specific exclusions encoded into law.
I doubt even a sympathetic doctor could word something in a way to call you transgender without calling you transgender.
Like "gender incorrectly assigned at birth" or "corrective surgery" or "birth defect" or whatever. No idea if the state would buy it.
Just check out your state's specific laws. You can use this site although some of the information may be outdated: http://www.lambdalegal.org/know-your-rights/article/trans-changing-birth-certificate-sex-designations

Edit:
The site was last updated in February of 2015, so it may be outdated, but this is what they have for
Kansas
Statute: K.S.A. § 65-2422c (2009).

Text: Minor correction of records. The secretary may by regulation prescribe procedures for making minor corrections to certificates or records.

Administrative Code: K.A.R. § 28-17-20 (b)(1)(A)(i) (2009).

Text: (i) The items recording the registrant's sex may be amended if the amendment is substantiated with the applicant's affidavit that the sex was incorrectly recorded or with a medical certificate substantiating that a physiological or anatomical change occurred.

Controlling case law: In re Estate of Gardiner, 29 Kan. App. 2dn 92 (2001). (interpreting K.S.A. § 65-2422c as only permitting “minor changes” to birth certificates and stating that this does not encompass correction of sex on birth certificates of individuals who have changed their sex by surgical procedure thus invalidating K.A.R. § 28-17-20 (b)(1)(A)(i)).

Summary: Kansas will not issue a birth certificate reflecting the correct sex.

Missouri
Statute: Mo. Ann. Stat. § 193.215(9) (2006).

Text: 9. Upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating the sex of an individual born in this state has been changed by surgical procedure and that such individual's name has been changed, the certificate of birth of such individual shall be amended.

Notes: Amended birth certificates will be marked "Amended."

Summary: Missouri will issue a birth certificate reflecting the proper sex.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kylra posted:

The bill's main effects would be to strip protections for LGBT people in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso and a few others. There might be a few disability things caught in the crossfire too, but the main effect will be to tear down metro area LGBT anti-discrimination ordinances.

If the state isn't interested in it, this bill will not come up for a vote. If it is voted affirmative, then it's obvious the state is interested in tearing down those protections and sees the protections as some kind of problem themselves.

So States' Rights > Cities' Rights > Federal Rights?
That seems a bit off.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yardbomb posted:

I mean drat, Square Enix doesn't even try to hide it anymore that they make pretty dudes for ladies when it comes to Final Fantasy for instance.

I thought that is what Japan thinks a manly man is, as opposed to the US where we like 'em burly.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Reminds me of this classic.

http://oglaf.com/dimorphism/

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hollismason posted:

Allies have done tremendous work but the majority are fair weather. It does not cost anyone anything to say I'm supporting LGBT rights.

This is the key part. They are "fair weather" by design because they can stop being an ally at any point and it has absolutely no impact on their legal status or civil rights. They're good.

Before I knew I was LGBT, I was an ally. I knew those people were being treated badly and it was wrong, but if the laws didn't change, if people were being arrested for being homosexual, denied bathroom access for being trans, well, that was terrible, but did not hurt me. Yes, I was worried and, yes, I loved people and friends who were impacted, but I could walk away and be seen as a cis, straight, white, middle-class, Christian male; you know, God Mode.

But. That was more than 20 years ago. I admitted I was bisexual. That was okay. If things got bad, I could just "choose" to only be with non-controversial partners and not mention how attractive I found the problematic ones.
Then I realized I was transgender. That was terrible. Now I had no choice but to be noticed. I could no longer have the luxury of hiding if I wanted to. I could no longer be an ally. I was in this poo poo now, and I lose sleep over it. Yeah, I pass well enough so everybody just assumes I'm a cis-woman. But, I'm married to a cis-woman. Either way, we are outed as abnormal and only recently socially acceptable.
When my being transgender was first diagnosed, I was a loving idiot about all of this stuff. I grew up not even understand how homosexual relationships work because "who's the man and who's the woman." These are your allies. I didn't learn until I had to because what was the point?

Of course, some allies may be masters of understanding and experts on everything from a psychological and sociological standpoint. So, what? Didn't we call out Rachel Dolezal, a white lady trying to pass for black, for leading a chapter of the NAACP? Were there any complaints about her leadership before that came out, any questions about her qualifications?

Allies are absolutely necessary. Absolutely. But without actual LGBT people playing a leading role or at least a guiding role, what they are wiling to fight for may not be what we actually need.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
For me, being bisexual means never fitting in. You can't choose one side or the other because you aren't one or the other. While you can date someone that makes you outwardly look hetero or homo, it doesn't change who you actually are; it doesn't change who find attractive. You are assumed to be hetero or homo based on who you are dating. No matter what you do, someone is always trying to erase half of your identity because, if they can't see it, it doesn't exist to them. Only you know your mind and your feeling. Maybe bisexual people should wear a purple armband or something so everybody knows "I'm with a dude, but I also find woman attractive; please do not make assumptions about me."
When you are bisexual and you are dating someone of the opposite gender, how welcome are you at LGBT events? You are seen as an ally or a hanger-on, not someone intimately impacted by the struggle. Date someone of the same gender, suddenly you are on the team again. Yet, who you are never changed. It was just what everybody else saw when they looked at you.

Edit: in my case, my weird sexual feelings being born in the deep south, I was seen as a dude and dated like 4 women before I met my future wife. I also dated 1 dude, but nobody else ever knew about it because I was scared. I made out with another dude on a couple of occasions, but like I said, we never told anybody else. So, I was obviously a male who was heterosexual. When I married my wife, it was the perfect Christian coupling, exactly what was expected of me.
Suddenly, I'm transgender and I start transitioning. Now I'm seen as a woman in a same sex relationship. Now I belong to LGBT. Even though I always did, but nobody knew. The stigma kept me in the closet and quiet. The politics of identity are complicated and intricate and also so very full of poo poo. But we all make assumptions based on appearance. We do that because that is what human beings do; we can't turn it off. But maybe we can tune it a bit.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 30, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Vindicator posted:

I don't get the incessant "we need to split the t from lgbt, THEY'RE NOT LIKE US" thing.

Oh, wait, yes I do. Transphobia.

I'm transgender. I get it, I just don't agree with it.
Sexuality and gender identity are two completely different things. We understand that.
The people who irrationally hate us do not understand that, so it is imperative that we stick together.

Edit: the other thing, there are no uniquely bisexual political issues. I concur. But the way it's being presented is that "bisexual issues do not matter". They do, but they are also homosexual political issues.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Baka-nin posted:

No it isn't, it brings up explicit anti BI discrimination, in addition to the data it even has an anecdote that directly contradicts your earlier assertions, so either you didn't pay attention or are just doubling down.

It mentions plenty of social issues, and I agree with that, but no unique political issues.

I mean, I finally understand the original point that made me rant. Bisexuals face unique social issues and unique problems with self-identification, issues of trust and appearances. But political issues? No. Bisexuals are not uniquely targeted politically because they are shuffled into hetero or homo based on who they are currently dating; they are erased.

Edit: I mean, I was suicidal when I was trying to convince myself I wasn't gay back in the day. I wasn't. But I didn't even know "bisexual" was a choice at the time. I didn't even fully understand what "homosexual" meant. That was a dark time, but it wasn't a political issue.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

How is that really any different from any other baby queer that doesn't know what's up?

When I was under the impression that bisexuals are just confused, a stepping stone to being gay, all that other crap, I also had to deal with trans phobic crap put out by mainstream society.

It strikes me more as a need to educate people on queer identities to begin with....

I agree. And, thanks to the Internet, that's actually possible today. poo poo, I didn't even know transgender existed until I was in my early / mid 30s (because I am old and also naive). It wasn't that I was taught being transgender was bad and wrong; it's that I was never taught anything about it. It took things like Chaz motherfuckin' Bono to really drive it home that this poo poo was real and possible, not just the stuff of movies and cartoons. Now we've got Laverne Cox, Transparent, that Jasmine kid, Janet Mock, Caitlyn Jenner, Chelsea Manning, all kinds of stuff.

All I had was a stereotypically gay hairdresser who lived next door taking care of his elderly mom and the Bible. Also movies that treated drag queen, transgender, transvestite, and homosexual as interchangeable.

Yes. We need education. I'm just trying to say that these are not political issues. It's not the fault of the law or politicians that bisexual people have unique issues. It's is a societal problem.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

there wolf posted:

Really? So if we had full, comprehensive sex-ed in schools that covered bisexuals along with other queer identities and issues you don't think it would have a big effect on people understanding and accepting bisexuality within themselves and others? 'Political' doesn't just mean the legal code. It's anything the government has it's hands in and that includes education.

That's a good point. My sex ed was terrible (pictures of diseased genitals and "just, uh, don't have sex") and I didn't even think of working to improve it as a way to legitimize queer identities. That would definitely be a political issue even though it shouldn't be. Religion is so political that they can't be separated, regardless of what the First Amendment implies.
Comprehensive, scientifically accurate, socially aware sex ed would work toward resolving so many other things: teen pregnancy, STDs, birth control myths, abortion, early shame at "sinful" desires, getting married just so you can have guilt-free sex. It would benefit everyone, not just queer folk. It would take a cultural shift for it to be possible. Trump winning the election (among other things) shows that the country isn't ready for that type of shift, yet.
Edit: but we should never stop pushing toward that goal.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/12/14/polish-journalist-says-he-risks-being-deported-from-usa-for-being-bisexual-and-not-gay/

Okay, here's an example of someone bi being discriminated against and running into legal issues.

Wow. Out of the darkness and into the light. Maybe we'll see more of this sort of thing in the short term. Does this mean a court may have to define what "bisexual" means?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I used to think being gay or straight was a choice because I assumed everyone was attracted to both men and women by default.
#JustBiThings

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

What "wrong think"?
Some of those beliefs parents have are abusive, and they should have their kids taken away

"wrong think" is whatever the people in charge say it is.

So the abusive beliefs would fall under "religious views" and be considered exempt. Unless it's not Christianity, then the child's welfare becomes more important.
At least, that's how it would probably play out.
As it is, parents can have children die under their care to their beliefs (such as Church of Christ, Scientist which believes prayer can cure everything), and not be held accountable until it becomes a trend.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Still child abuse.
As a queer kid raised in a conservative home schooled Christian household, I was raised to believe I was going to burn in hell for my gender identity.

I didn't know all this at the time I was a little kid, I just thought I was a bad person regardless.

That poo poo is child abuse.

I agree. I'm just pointing out that our courts favor letting people use religion as an excuse for things that should be inexcusable.
I was raised the same way and my parents weren't even hard core fundamentalists. But the message was clear: be straight and cis or you will burn in hell. I was so happy when it was amended to be "you can feel that way, just don't every act on it" because that meant I could go to heaven when I died if I was first miserable on earth. Maybe that's why I was begging God to kill me for so many years (suicide was also a sin, so that was right out).
Our country isn't built on Christian values but they sure are ubiquitous in the southern US (and probably elsewhere, but that is my personal experience). Even people who don't go to church or say their prayers at night believe the Christian version of reality because it can be all they've ever heard about. Can you charge an entire region of the country with child abuse? Can you tell parents that they are not allowed to teach their religious views to their own kids?

I agree that it can be child abuse, but I also know there is no easy fix because people here are free to believe whatever they want to believe.

As for me, I'm agnostic now, practically atheist. Imagine that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Your upbringing sounds similar to mine, and yah, I live in the south..

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore, tbh.

Your right, it's terrible, but what can you do when everyone believes it?

:smith::hf::smith:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eimi posted:

You pretty much sum up my thoughts on why having it in the DSM is a good thing because yeah being untreated is a bad thing, and having medical recognition that your feelings are real helps fight denial in its own way. But there is very much that downside as well. It's an issue where I guess it matters what they do next. (I also wish transitioning cured my depression, though it's done wonders for my overall mental health)

Transitioning cured my depression. The anxiety on the other hand? Through the roof!

And gender dysphoria is a mental illness. The treatment is accepting that you are transgender and doing whatever sort of transitioning you are comfortable with.
Being transgender is not a mental illness, but the dysphoria caused ignoring or burying it is. That's the distinction that must be kept.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Mental illness is not something to be afraid of or ashamed of. It can be treated and managed. I feel like you guys are running from terminology. "Mental illness" is nothing to be ashamed of. Just like diabetes or cancer or the common cold; it just happens. It isn't a moral failing.
I am mentally ill, but it is being managed and treated by HRT, therapy, and living a life congruent with my self-image. The only dysphoria that remains can be assessed by GCS once I can afford it.
Dysphoria is environmental. My birth certificate can never be updated or amended because of the state I was born in. Some states require surgery to get a gender market changed. Sometimes, if they are vague enough in their wording, your doctor can write a letter that makes it sound like you've had GCS, but that depends entirely on the person you present it to. Live in Mississippi and you may have trouble finding a sympathetic ear; live in Seattle, and you have a much better chance. What if you are the only LGBT person you know? Nobody around to show you anything other than everything you are not.
Mental illness doesn't mean you are defective, doesn't necessarily mean something is fundamentally wrong with you. It just means you need help. At least, that's how my therapist put it. Recognize and manage the disordered thinking, retrain your brain, and reduce your symptoms (CBT stuff).

Edit: are we just arguing connotation vs denotation, clinical definition vs public perception?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

OwlFancier posted:

Public perception can be individual perception as well, it's not very nice to tell people they're mentally ill regardless of how it should not be a stigmatized thing. Even less so when you're essentially telling them how they feel about a thing.

To some people, clinical recognition for the distress their condition causes can be a good thing, for others it may be dehumanizing. Being prescriptive about it either way is probably not going to do much good.

Which is more important: public perception or what insurance companies, lawyers, the government, and doctors will use to determine if you get to have certain treatment?

I know the answer is "both" but that doesn't help anybody decide what the best move is. Just keep limping along where it wavers back and forth until public perception and state or federal law catches up, I guess.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

OwlFancier posted:

"Avoiding a label" is a quite significant thing when dealing with gender.

Labels can be quite deleterious to people's wellbeing.

But how can you remove the label without removing access to appropriate care? Especially considering the incoming administration. I agree that it is a fine goal and should be what we eventually push for. But what can we do right now?
It took me until I was in my late 20s to admit I needed help because I was afraid of being mentally ill. It was a "bad" thing not to be talked about or acknowledged. My family just accepted and enabled any mental illness as personality quirks, and I don't mean just for me; it was for anyone in the family with obvious issues.
How can we destigmatize mental illness? How can we get families and communities to address mental illness positively instead of ignoring it and enabling it?

I was optimistic about the future of transgender care. Biden called it a human rights' issue. More insurance companies are covering trans-related care. There are high profile transgender people who aren't seen by most people as freaks or jokes.
But the backlash and pushback is massive. Bathroom bills everywhere. A new VP that support conversion therapy. A new administration completely full of people who have to hate us because of their vocal base.

What do we do?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Maybe its because we live in a country where places like Johns Hopkins still tolerate assholes like this publicly representing them.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

quote:

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Edit: and the Wall Street Journal gladly prints his op eds without contradiction.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Shukaro posted:

Why should other people have the right to decide how, why, and when you can or cannot alter your own body?

If you want to pay for it, all you have to do is find a doctor. But this is insurance. People would abuse any system that didn't require proof. Hell, they abuse it now with fake proof.
So, there's your answer. Why? Because of assholes scammers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Octatonic posted:

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I'd argue that it's more that it's in the interest of insurers to not pay for anything, regardless, because it cuts into their bottom line. The problem isn't fraud, it's capitalism. Health care should never be comodified.

I agree. But it is. And if the incoming administration is any indication, it will get so much worse before it gets better.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

PT6A posted:

That's pretty much covered in male/white/straight/etc. privilege.

When you call out privilege to people who have it, it feels like oppression.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

shovelbum posted:

I would hope that any reduction in gatekeeping would still require some kind of screening sufficient to make sure that people aren't getting life-altering surgery because they had some kind of other mental illness that caused them to become fixated on the idea of transgender surgery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

shovelbum posted:

I would hope that any reduction in gatekeeping would still require some kind of screening sufficient to make sure that people aren't getting life-altering surgery because they had some kind of other mental illness that caused them to become fixated on the idea of transgender surgery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I worked with someone who was a dude who "preferred the company of men" but would also settle for drag queens or pre-op transgender woman (made some creepy drunk text passes at me even though I'm married). Fantastic guy otherwise, scout leader, great dad (he was divorced and had full custody), very good at his job.
But he still considered himself straight, not bi and definitely not gay, nope, not gay or homosexual at all because, "ew, really? No way. I just like to have sex with people with penises and I also have a penis. That's completely different." So like, maybe he thought it was a fetish? Not actually a sexual preference? I don't know I lost touch with him after he left the company a couple of years ago.
He lives in Ft Worth, TX.

• Locked thread