Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

May not actually be inaccurate, it's quite possible that it isn't motivated by burning seething "I want to murder you" hatred and simply absolute absence of empathy, combined with a hefty dose of paternalistic moralizing.

Not overly comforting considering that previous thing has been built up to by means of the latter thing throughout history. You're already seeing it with angry people assaulting and going after trans/percieved trans people because of this "moralistic" law and its broader effects on the nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SwingShift posted:

"If only we treat these trans people horribly enough, they'll stop being trans. Wait, over half of trans kids try to kill themselves? Probably not related."

Seriously, are there any examples of these people being confronted with the knowledge that what they do heavily contributes to suicide rates among trans youth? Maybe any good articles on the subject? I imagine it's a lot easier to play the "we're just trying to HELP them" card when the trans people in question are still alive to harass. I want to know if they look even slightly uncomfortable or if they just shrug it off as not their fault.

You see it in the freep and right wing media threads alot: they think the high suicide rates and depression are inherent in going against your "natural" gender and they in no way shape or form acknowledge or recognize that the way they're treated by society contributes to it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

TERFs actually often find their allies these days amongst the alt-right. Weird but true.

Isn't there one that literally goes around with Milo Yianoplous on his Dangerous human being tour?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

This I could get behind.

Yeah until the camps do a contraband check (which they do constantly) and the kids get extra punishments for it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also if anyone wants to read more about those types of camps and some personal experiences with them, the PYF disturbing wiki article thread in PYF has been discussing them for the past however many pages. I posted a personal experience of a friend of mine getting kidnapped for one back in 9th grade (he wasn't gay, it was for being a generic "bad" punk kid and having an insane mother)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone seen any news stories about statements ? I would really like to hear this young woman's side of events.

If she's back in her controlling religious parents house I wouldn't be expecting any statements other than "I'm ok thanks for the concern though" before they make sure she's out of the public eye again

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Seems like they didn't find specific word for word confirmation that Omar hated the gays, even though he purposefully went to a gay bar and shot the place up... Oh and that last part, what's more conclusive evidence that a person doesn't like you?

A) They're actively trying to kill you with a weapon.

or

B) They use words that hurt your feelings?

Seems like the FBI is strictly interpreting the letter of the law in this case. I guess to try and prevent a controversy. It happens quite a bit in sensitive cases. I remember after the Mumbai terror attack, there was photographic evidence of one of the attackers walking around with a rifle, but he was referred to as a "suspect" and once "suspected gunman" because they hadn't quite 100% established who he was and that he was guilty yet. I know that's a random example but its stuck with me for years.

I wouldn't put to much stock into this until the FBI find evidence of some other reason for his actions.

I've fallen off of this case a bit, was the earlier theory floating around that he was closeted and this was some sort of revenge hit just totally baseless?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hang Julian Assange until dead

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lmao that I used to be think Wikileaks could possibly be a good thing for society as a whole. They're just as biased and duplicitous as any of the groups or nations they claim to oppose for the same reasons

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good. Hope he rots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone here willing to talk to a masculine acting gay dude looking for a masculine acting gay dude? If so pm would be cool

• Locked thread