Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

metalloid posted:

It's certainly anti-LGBT bigot terribleness. What I mean to ask is how much do bigots around the world pay attention to bigots in america?
Quite a lot in parts of Africa, because they make a special effort to be terrible there.

There appears to be something of a fundamental disparity between the anti-LGBT people in the US (mostly religious based, believe being gay is a bad moral choice) and the anti-LGBT people in Europe (often some flavor of generic far-right shithead, believe being gay is a genetic aberration) that means that they don't usually directly help one another out, but they do sometimes unwittingly end up helping the other side by accident, or vice versa. The best example I can think of being when some scientists claimed to have found a gay gene and some LGBT groups in the US celebrated possibly having some sort of biological basis for anti-discrimination laws, whereas the UK's Daily Mail printed "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' findings" because they are literal Nazis :stonkhat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Artificer posted:

No way. Was there any sort of outrage about that or is that par for course for the Daily Mail?
There was outrage from LGBT groups, but this was in the early 90s when Section 28 was still in force (basically the same as Russia's gay propaganda law but for schools and local authorities) so they obviously felt their targets were disempowered enough for such an attack. Same as what they do now with refugees ISIS vermin sneaking into Europe :byodood:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Isle of Man has recently allowed for both marriage and civil unions for both same and mixed sex couples, which makes them the only place in the North Atlantic archipelago to allow all four. That's good news as equal civil partnerships are stalled everywhere in the UK.

In other foreign LGBT news, the petition to allow people to self define their gender in the UK rather than having a medical gatekeeping process has recently been stalled until further notice.

quote:

There will be a delay in publishing the Government’s response to your committee’s report on transgender equality.

As I mentioned at the Women and Equalities OPQs on 14 March, the Government welcomed your report and is studying the recommendations in detail. However, this process is taking time. Your report called for very significant changes to the legislative framework around gender recognition, as well as significant reforms of NHS and other public service processes, covering around a dozen different public bodies in total. We are looking through these carefully, but we are not yet in a position to issue a substantive response on all of them.

I understand that you were hoping to see the Government’s response immediately after the Easter recess. Unfortunately, we need more time to ensure the best possible response to your report overall. But I will keep you informed of progress and let you know the publication date in good time.
I'm not confident that this will pass though. I look forward to lovely arguments from ministers like "but what if I just decide to redefine my gender one day? what if everyone decided that? the horror :qq:"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we tell people that they can become meaningful by killing themselves then they'll kill themselves all the time to get more and more meaningful and then they will roll around in all their meaning which they are totally capable of experiencing. Logic!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does that mean that Denmark will no longer require trans people to be castrated/sterilized in order to get a recognition of gender change?

(I think it's Denmark that does that, definitely one of the Scandinavian countries.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A pill that would erase sexuality completely would be interesting, not 'turn someone straight/gay/whatever' but actually erase it, given how much of society builds itself around that. But so much of a person's self perception is tied into lived experiences that are resultant from their sexuality that unless you did it from birth you'd just create an even more unpleasant dysphoria. Like what famously happened with Alan Turing. So I don't think such a pill would even be possible without horrific side effects unless it completely changed a person's past self image or sedated them beyond caring, both of which could also be horrific.

I'd imagine the same thing holds for gender.

e: Interesting as in it's something I'd consider moreso than one that turns you whatever the majority of society or its loudest assholes considers 'normal'.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 7, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good thing nobody was hurt. Shame it was a woman that did it though, there would be no :ironicat: big enough if it was a man who went into the women's bathroom to commit a transphobic crime over fears that men would use Target's decision as an excuse to enter women's bathrooms and commit crimes.

Has Julie Bindel been on holiday lately?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

You don't own the air above something
According to the property law interpretation of cuius est solum etc. you do to the extent that it affects your use of the property.
So you can't call a no-fly zone over your house just because you don't like the noise or you're an insane sovereign citizen, but if you argued that the drones were affecting your business, even if it's a repugnant business, you might have a case.
It'd be interesting to see if it applied to general positive messages under the first amendment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That would require self awareness that their homophobia and transphobia shares a common thread with that of others.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Problem with immediate kneejerking violent retribution is, like another poster said about the far-right in Europe, it ends up empowering neo-nazi fuckwits who would happily beat people for 'looking gay' any other day to go around beating people for 'looking Muslim' while feeling they've got some kind of popular mandate. And that also plays into exactly what groups like ISIS want; scared, angry, marginalized Muslims. And empowers the far right who will come up with other reasons to oppose LGBT rights.

No action will change what happened, but BigRed0427's thing with directing outrage into anti-discrimination legislation seems like the best kind of path, not smashing Mosques.

Ball Cupper posted:

Yeah, and if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.
Possibly the wrong thread for that particular idiom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This attack on gay people in a gay venue by an attacker claiming allegiance to a group that calls for the brutal execution of gay people isn't the time for identity politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nckdictator posted:

In keeping with the thread title the BBC did a pretty interesting interview with a Lesbian Iranian woman and her mother.

quote:

"Why don't you understand that even cows know how to have normal sex?"
Why did they pick the one animal that this is most well known not to be true for? I've spent relatively little of my life around cattle and I know that freemartins are a thing.

I don't believe it has anything to do with human sexuality, because it requires a set of physiological conditions that don't occur in human gestation, and I'm always wary of biological reductionism when it comes to people, but lol at "there are no female cows that exhibit mating behaviors with other female cows."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but there's also thousands of instances of poo poo we really shouldn't be excusing by appeal to nature that occur too, like gang rape in ducks and traumatic insemination in bedbugs and all kinds of poo poo that occurs in the parasite world.

Human gender and sexuality is something that seems to be quite fluid and culturally defined and the standard should be more like "this is okay because it's all risk-aware consenting adults" or "this is okay because the harms of homophobia and transphobia are far worse than any harms caused by being welcoming and inclusive" and not "this is okay because giraffes". And there are problems with those standards too, but that's what happens when you try to analyze social things from within society. Don't be poo poo to people and listen to other people's lived experiences I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:
Sometimes people come around when it's their own family. Sometimes they remain mired in themselves. Sorry to hear it though. :(

quote:

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.
Happens in sheep and goats too, but with less regularity, whereas it's almost guaranteed in a twin birth in cattle. I just found it an amusing moment in a stream of :smith: because the mother in question threw in a random "I know nothing about animal husbandry but I'm going to use it to excuse my prejudices."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's functionally a rolling indefinite ban if you're in most relationships though. They could have an exception for monogamous gay couples. That then gets into 'but one of them could cheat and the other wouldn't know'. That's the same in all relationships though, and it was said further up thread that the risk of HIV is statistically higher in all cases when that happens, not just with MSM.

It's the same with sex work. If you pay money for unprotected sex with a different person every weekend, it's a 12 month deferral. If you accepted money for sex even once, it's a lifetime ban. So you get into the same situation of whether this is statistics or stigma, and whether someone who did sex work with a select group of clients, always used protection, and stopped 10 years ago could be justified in lying on the form if they had consistently tested negative for blood borne diseases since.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not every MSM has HIV though. If they are monogamous and know they and their partner are HIV free it makes zero sense unless you think it spontaneously generates.
Standard argument against is 'you don't know if your partner is monogamous, plus 3 month incubation period invisible to tests'.

Standard counterargument is 'that's the same for het couples too, with roughtly the same risks'.

But nobody is making the counterargument backed by stats at the levels where decisions are made.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

What's a good news site for LGBT news. I mostly read the Advocate , Queerty( don't judge me) and Huffposts Queer Voices.
pinknews.co.uk does a lot of UK/European stuff, and some world events.

hackbunny posted:

Meanwhile in Italy:
  • In Treviso, far right organization Veneto Fronte Skinheads put up banners to greet tomorrow's pride parade (some of the slogans are "Italy needs cradles, not faggots", "You are not a priority for Italians", "Natural family untouchable ideal", "No rights for womb renters"). I would translate their frothing, content-free statement but I'm afraid I'd fail to convey its illiterate tone
Part of me wants to put people like that in a box and let them breed themselves into starvation, as they would do for everyone else, but it'd be their kids that suffered most. :smith:

hackbunny posted:

"billy clubs and ricin oil" and he can't call them "faggots" because "the law is on their side. So, we have to keep the billy club in our pocket and throw away the ricin oil"
That might be better as "billy clubs and castor oil", I think? It's the same bean, but ricin is the poison and castor oil is the non-poisonous plant oil that the Mussolini's police used to force-feed people until they poo poo themselves.

Not that wanting to torture people instead of outright murder them makes them good people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

gently caress yeah :vuvu:

Fun fact: the Dutch Reformed Church (NGK) (one of the major pillars of support for apartheid) was also a major supporter of the apartheid regime's criminalization of homosexuality. Last fall when I was visiting some family out there, it made front page news that the NGK had just voted to fully recognize gay marriage :3:

E: drat okay I guess I misremembered the newspaper article I read, looking it up now it seems the NGK voted that committed sexual relationships outside of marriage are no longer sinful and that they recognize homosexual married couples as having a nonsinful committed sexual relationship that doesn't impair their standing in the church but is somehow still not equivalent to biblical marriage.
I think that's about the best you're going to get from the NGK for half a generation. "You are not Literal Sodom in the eyes of the LORD and are actually pretty okay if you're faithful" is still ahead of a lot of Calvinist churches.

South Africa still first republic in world to legalize same-sex marriage, so :vuvu: still applicable.

Fairly sure that the Isle of Man should stop being gold and start being dark blue if not now then in a couple months. They also passed civil partnerships for all couples, so same sex and mixed sex partnerships can be equal in whichever way they want. :3:

Northern Ireland needs to get their poo poo together on multiple issues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hermetic posted:

Yeah, SA is cool in a lot of ways, from what a former colleague told me. She hates the African "huts and spears" stereotype with a white-hot rage.
The public perception of the 'acceptability' of LGBT people is still a fair bit lower in SA to the US, but progress is being made. It's certainly a lot better than when you start heading further north.

Paradoxically the old NGK was probably one of the main driving forces behind the adoption of LGBT rights, by combining homophobia with support for apartheid, the two became somewhat entwined in popular thought, so after the first full elections and the new constitution in the mid 90s there was an attitude of "yeah gently caress everything they supported." And so gay rights happened. I think that was the first time in the world that a national constitution protected against sexual orientation discrimination on the same level as race.

Outside of the courtrooms though, there's still a lot of room for progress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hermetic posted:

Though, to be honest, I'd rather just see state marriage obliterated and replaced with civil unions for everybody.
I'd agree with that. The word comes with a whole lot of baggage of transferring virgin daughters as chattel from their fathers to their husbands and all that poo poo for my liking.

e: Both in civil and religious contexts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As in 'queer theory' or as in being yelled from a passing car?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

No it really doesn't.
Yes it does, for example a huge number of cases in

fishmech posted:

state marriage, a concept which is older than religious marriage by far.
were more about power broking, family alliances, or the securing of inheritance. In which the rights and views of the women were not paramount.

Being as everyone has decided to redefine it as about love now, it's only fair that same word is allowed for both same and mixed sex partnerships, but some people still object to the historical connotations.
I guess allowing all partnerships to choose between a 'marriage' and a 'civil union' would be the best case.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

No. Marriage is not some Abrahamic religion thing, it occurs in one form or another in every culture on earth. You are being myopic on this.
I never said it was Abrahamic or religious, just that it has historically been patriarchal and I understand why people object to that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Small Frozen Thing posted:

It was patriarchal because it occurred in patriarchal societies! Oh my god, you can't be this dense.
And still carries those connotations for some people, because we still live in a society that carries a lot of those trappings. You can see why people might want an arrangement that escapes that word, right?

I admit that it's probably far too ingrained to just scrap it, but there are countries in Europe offering that alternative to all partnerships, which is a good step.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

Half the EU has 0 meaningful LGBT protections. Some members are even actively antagonistic. The UK happens to be a leader in LGBT rights within the union as it turns out.

Of course the parties backing brexit aren't known for being LGBT friendly.
This. The biggest worry is that Brexit emboldens fascists (it already did enough to cause one of them to assassinate a Labour MP and refugee rights campaigner), but the UK government has done a lot more for LGBT rights than the EU.

And if Northern Ireland splits off over Brexit, Britain would be even more LGBT friendly, since they're easily the worst of the constituent nations. That's not really a win for folks that still have to live there though.

Plus Brexit will cause economic uncertainty, and economic uncertainty + emboldened fash usually = bad things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what DAE is but every Pride for the past couple years I've heard from a small subset of gay men (it is always just gay men) that hey we've achieved all our goals so why not tone down all the prancing around do we really need the parades anymore they just block traffic and annoy people guys.

I hate the term 'straight acting' but really they're the sort of people that are most behind that. Or they just hate fun and street parties.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

The source is two Daily Mail columnists, a paper that's never been regarded as an objective journal, but especially not in regards to Queer issues.
Tying nicely back to the start of the thread.

Guavanaut posted:

whereas the UK's Daily Mail printed "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' findings" because they are literal Nazis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Oh and in the UK the second highest rate of HIV infection are among heterosexual Black Britons. Somehow I don't think these groups push a pamphlet warning of the dangers of `black lifestyle`.
There are a handful of UK groups like National Action that do. And those groups don't tend to think so highly of LGBT people either. (e: They put up a bunch of homophobic stickers around Glasgow a few weeks ago, and have done much the same with other hate campaigns.)

Tommy Mair, the neo-nazi who assassinated MP Jo Cox (gently caress that was almost 4 weeks ago) was reported to be an avid consumer of stuff from a US retailer called National Vanguard that sold poo poo like this:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 6, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the same for their concern trolling of LGBT groups though.
"We don't hate you, we're just concerned about the disease risk from your awful lifestyle. It's for your own good, and it's for the safety of our children that we're banning any discussion of LGBT issues in school because the only safe way to be gay is don't."

The only major difference between the two is that the anti-miscegenation stuff got moved to the hardcore nazi sidelines a few decades earlier, whereas it's still 'acceptable' in some religious groups to be a homophobe.

(e: Yeah, a ton of people sadly still hold those views in private, but I mean the people who actively go out flyering cities or being a shithead in public.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

I didn't know that, what are the restrictions in the UK for transsexuals?
The most egregious one is the 'spousal veto', where the married partner of the person wishing to transition can veto the gender recognition certificate (and possibly some other parts of the process).

Being as the UK doesn't have no-fault divorce, this can lead to a partner being trapped in a relationship that won't allow them to transition. You could file under unreasonable behavior or separate, but that can take years. It happens in more cases than you'd imagine.

I'm not sure if that's also the case for civil unions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Last week the Tynwald the parliament Isle of Man and oldest parliament in the world legalised same sex marriage. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/steffan-cowell-gay-isle-man/#gs.hjKuDtI
They also allowed hetero couples to get civil partnerships which is a first for the region.
Northern Ireland peers over the waters suspiciously. Nearby, a fleg weeps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The "outlaw rape of a male" thing would put them ahead of the UK, and inline with much of northern Europe and Scandinavia.

Assuming that they mean "outlaw all non-consensual sex regardless of the genders of the victim and perpetrator" and not just "outlaw male-male rape, which we didn't need to bother outlawing before because we could just prosecute the rapist for homosexuality."

I'm surprised that it took so long being as they were the last remaining non-island British territories to gain independence, well after decriminalization in the UK, and have a lot of wealthy British who immigrated there after independence, but apparently they have strong laws against immigrants involving themselves directly in politics (only indirectly :10bux:).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Most of the time colonial law was far more brutal then in the UK, for example physical punishments and executions were far more common in the Colonies even after the UK banned them. Though interestingly enough the law on homosexuality was much harsher in the UK, it used to be punished by death, then forced castration, but in most colonies it appears to have punished by prison terms.
Interestingly one of the reasons that some of the Caribbean colonies pushed for further independence from the UK was that that the Privy Council in London had historic right to act as their final court of appeal, and after the abolition of the death penalty for murder in the UK, the convention was that the would veto any capital case that reached them, which the Caribbean colonies did not like. Their governorships and their successors were a lot more gung ho about mandatory execution for certain crimes than the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What is "animus" in this case? I'm not familiar with the term as applied to laws.
Bad Japanese cartoons. :v:

I think as used here it's not in a strictly legal sense (mens rea would be a rough legal equivalent but implies something more specific) but just to imply that they are motivated purely by enmity or ill will, they cannot prove a material reason or definition of harm as understood by a court, just that they hate the group in question.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad the brief set the tone with the bit that has been medically and scientifically shown to be wrong, it helps anyone that's undecided about taking it seriously.

quote:

Gender identity is nothing more than a “feeling” that people use to trick others.
Does that mean that people whose gender identity matches their body/birth assigned sex are tricking people? :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Something about nature vs. nurture that is neither here nor there, uranians gave the gay aids to Africa using antiretrovirals, poppers caused grids, the goal of elite gays is to destroy the family, the sole drive of schizophrenics is to murder people in the street, and that's just part one. :suspense:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does he go full Hoxha and start blaming the feminists and Frankfurt school Jews for betraying the revolution?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

So, uh, bunkers?
Bunkers are pretty cool. Maybe not millions of them instead of roads.

I found an part of that article that I agree with.

quote:

No group of people should have special rights based on their sexual behaviour.
I assume that means radical equality as the end goal, and I look forward to his upcoming six parter about how hetero martians are controlled by jewmasons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I had more than a few :dogbutton: moments reading through it, but I don't think I got truly angry at the guy. He just threw far too many "I am a loving idiot" (not a wordfilter) cards on the table too fast for me to even take him seriously and I just started playing rear end in a top hat bingo (and boy did he hit a lot of the classics. Freemason Jew media brainwashing the kids, holocaustdomor never happened, everything was an inside job).

I think this has come up a few times in the conspiracy crowd/crazy forwards threads, and is applicable to the tankie mode of thought. A lot of the western capitalist accounts of Stalin were heavily biased, which leads them down the 'academic coverups' rabbit hole until they're coming straight out of the starting gate with AIDS denial as if everyone is going to follow along with them rather than write them off as an idiot.

I also found a fair few inversions of alt-right tropes in there, like 'Jewish record producers are feminizing black men' as a direct parallel to 'Jewish record producers are Africanizing white kids'.

Also "attempts to distort research by defaming the researcher by the homosexual agenda" presented uncritically right next to "Kinsey hosed kids and so all his research should be ignored".

If you want a palate cleanser, this was basically my internal monolog for most of the first half of part one. But the anarchist position is petty-bourgeois now apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's a bit flippant or whatever, but as a counter to "I will support literally any theory, no matter how discredited, if I can tie it into the evil gay threat to orthodox Marxism" it works, the author does not deserve a better response.

Speaking of contrarians, guess who else writes for that paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems about on par for stupidity with the Keith Vaz thing.

Dozens of potential things for a media outlet to investigate in terms of nepotism, shady property dealings, expenses, use of charities, has supported some lovely causes in the past (but generally okay on gay issues), and the thing that the press are going wild over is that he purchased sexual services from some younger (but still way over majority) men.

There might even be a legit call for outrage if it turns out to be true that he used charity funds to do so, but so far the media angle has been almost entirely "lolol mansex! poppers!" or saying that because he did something that isn't illegal he has a conflict of interest in chairing a committee into whether that thing should continue to be legal. I only assume that for the sake of consistency they will nod sagely in approval if the government commissions a report into alcohol prohibition and only allows observant Muslims and Quakers on the board.

And while there is room for debate around making sex work safer and less exploitative, far too much of the public and press satisfaction has been about the angle of outing his private life.

• Locked thread