Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I love that Southern Strategy is finally coming around to bite them in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Uh, wow. This can't be true, can it?

Man claims to be Omar Mateen's ex lover, says he committed Orlando shooting for revenge

(guy looks weird because he's wearing a disguise. That's... bizarre, isn't it?)

So if this is correct, he shot up the nightclub because he thought he might have gotten HIV from one of the guys there. That's... jesus loving christ.

This whole thing is really sad, and really terrifying.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

hackbunny posted:

The day was warm, the forecast late afternoon showers very politely fell at midday, and I almost gave up going out of the sheer stress of doing myself up, and my girlfriend missing the parade. In the end I went, I was late but so was the Pride, and my doggie Lulu had fun (so much attention! so many pets! so many other dogs wearing rainbows!) and took the heat, the long walk and the loud music like a champ. At the end of the day, though, she was exhausted:

I took her with me at my association's post-Pride dinner (Circolo Harvey Milk, a "QTBLG association" - actually, I let my membership lapse years ago, but they still wuv me), and she got irrationally angry at everyone, including servers and random restaurant patrons. Poor little girl, I wish she could relax and sleep when she's away from home

e: yes it's me just off-frame with the flower dress

You have the most adorable dog in the world and you should be proud of her.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teddybear posted:

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has ordered that the ban on transgender military personnel be lifted immediately.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us/transgender-military.html

This is great! I didn't know there was an outright ban, glad that it's gone now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hassan is a pretty great governor.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2016/8/01/seattle-bans-conversion-therapy-minors

:toot:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm fairly sure "privilege checkers" is just chess.

:golfclap:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wouldn't call being removed from the bench a slap on the wrist.

What would you have preferred?

A guillotine would be nice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

We just put a man who openly supports the torture of gay and lesbian children into the second most powerful position in our government.

I am so, so sorry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gotta appreciate the small miracles while they last, I guess. :unsmith:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Guns for personal self defense are bad, but there is something to be said for their effectiveness as a mass deterrent in groups a la the old Black Panthers.

I feel like a LGBT version of that would be a bad idea right now for all sorts of reasons, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAqCJHVgd9k

I'm not crying, you're crying

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There were some overtures to that after the nightclub shooting which never went anywhere, it was also sorta part of Milo' s shtick but he's pretty much dead now, politically.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think that was supposed to be an extremely sarcastic "joke" about how they would just die instead of being tortured first.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Black Panthers worked well, but being black does not significantly increase suicide risk from owning a gun so I do not think the same thing is advisable for us. Grouping up and banding together to protect each other is still a good idea but the gun ownership not so much.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of the black people that weren't killed by cops or the KKK because they had groups of armed dudes following them around, basically. It's a lot more than that but that bit alone was extremely important. I bet if you ask in the Negrotown thread Koalas or TB would love to point you to some good reading material, they'd know a hell of a lot better than I do.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

there wolf posted:

Being trans doesn't increase your suicide risk from owning a gun. Just your chances of success. Black people also increase their chances of successful suicide by having access to a gun, even if they're less likely as a demographic to attempt it.

Err that's what I meant, yeah. I'm bad at phrasing things. My point was that arming a bunch of people with a much higher suicide attempt rate is going to be more of a problem in that regard.

There are a lot of other differences too, especially in that trans people are not generally living in large communities together so that kind of organization is hard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

North Carolina has until April 18th to repeal HB2, or they will lose out on all NCAA championship events through 2022.

A silver lining to the cloud of poo poo that this administration has brought with it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There was a big obnoxiously orange bus with anti-transgender propaganda covering it going around in Boston today, and I guess it is going to be touring a bunch of northeast cities. The mayor spoke out against it which was kinda nice.

The chairwoman of the organization running the bus had an interview on one of the local conservative talk radio stations tonight, and very calmly explained how their goal was the total erasure and extermination of trans people. The host kinda freaked out and tried doing the "wait you really mean you want them erased from our girls bathrooms right" and she didn't even take the out, so he cut her off 45 minutes early because she was basically advocating genocide on his radio station.

No links or anything because phone posting but yeah. If you live in any cities between Maine and DC please be extra careful in the next few weeks, these nutjobs might be more than talk. :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, it's just really kind of disgusting and a bit terrifying. I'm sure that some people are going to feel empowered by that, especially if more people keep giving them a platform to talk about it.

Here's a couple direct quotes, the radio station put the interview up and subsequent discussion (which, thankfully, was very much opposed to this group) on http://boston.cbslocal.com/audio/nightside-with-dan-rea/

quote:

"There's a real opportunity to influence state legislatures to adopt the policies that are going to keep transgender people out of our society... we want to try to erase them as best we can from our culture"
"We don't really need to take direct action, I think that the fact that there's an epidemic of murder against the trans community already is an indication that-" this is where the host cut her off

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That could backfire so horribly though, and give the NOM folks a ton of ammunition to use against us. Pretending to be a spokesperson for them and advocating for murder of the people they're speaking against, when they can brand that as attack on free speech and other such nonsense?

hosed up if true, and if so I really goddamn hope she doesn't get caught.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

joat mon posted:

Potentially memory holed?

This link is currently working:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/30/nightside-talking-with-the-free-speech-bus/
Listening now, red flags should have been going up about the caller.
e: good on Dan Rea for calling her out and cutting her off. (and then commended the Major for his actions, and told NOM to GTFO)

And checking,
Yep, pranked.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/03/31/radio-station-got-majorly-trolled-during-interview-about-anti-trans-free-speech-bus/

Welp. Guess that's what I get for assuming a major radio station vets it's interviewees. :v:

I really hope this doesn't do more harm than good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I dunno, Rea has always been fairly open to LGBT issues for someone who is nominally conservative. He had a transgender rights activist on his show a couple weeks ago, and some of his callers have been talked around to acceptance which is fairly significant for white boomers who listen to talk radio. Seems like an unnecessary burning of bridges, I guess. I'll have to listen to last night's show to see how pissed he was about the whole thing, I can see him being hella mad about having his show taken advantage of to make a cheap shot, no matter how deserved.

I do see your point though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It does get rid of the explicit right to discriminate bullshit that was one of the biggest parts of the problem with HB2, which is good. Not having additional protections sucks, but it's no different than how it was before.

No real progress was made, but with lots of other things going to poo poo that's better than the alternative I guess. :smith:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

It's only radical if we install a ramp to the lava and strap them to BMX bikes.

Think of all the jobs that would be created to make all those bikes!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It got deleted, what horrid nonsense did they do this time?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The police as an organisation are still hella guilty by themselves, no association needed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Even if most Muslims have strongly negative views of LGBTQ people, which may or may not be the case, the vast majority of them are not going to kill people or support killing people, and have no relation whatsoever to the kind of person who would commit an atrocity like the Pulse shooting, so attacking Muslims or Islam as a result of that is Not Good.

All police officers benefit from the power structures which oppress LGBTQ people (and people of color), and their organizations are inherently complicit in that oppression, which makes that situation completely different.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's nothing wrong with individuals going as individuals who support Pride, if they are not in uniform and thus representing an organization.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Do you really think that every police officer in America is a card-carrying Nazi? That's an... interesting view of why the police are bad.

Individually no, but the uniform represents a system of oppression that is not welcome at Pride.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Quorum posted:

Fuckin :laffo:, a woman after my own heart

Holy poo poo. I want her for my state, screw Virginia.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What is this lovely "because it's the current year" meme I see occasionally attached to conservative internet things?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ite_sex_couples

Texas Supreme Court has rejected ruling that same sex couples are entitles to the same benefits as hetero couples.

Digging into this a bit, it appears the Texas court received a whole bunch of postcards, emails, etc. from shithead bigots, which they decided to treat as amicus briefs. Totally-not-coincidentally, Texas elects its Supreme Court justices instead of appointing them, and their re-election comes up shortly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm in a fairly similar situation where I'm only out irl to a total of two people and just try to live my life, keep my head down, etc. Many members of my family claim to be really "tolerant" but are actually massive lovely bigots (which extends to race, religion, sexuality, etc.) and if I were to actually come out to them I'm 100% sure they'd try to pretend to be supportive and then turn into absolute monsters when I'm not there. The same is true with most of the people I work with, some of whom wouldn't even try to pretend to be cool with it, where there's a low-key culture of transphobia being totally okay and "funny".

I'm glad there are some trans people who don't have to assume that most of the people they know and interact with would treat them like poo poo, because it's a really bad feeling.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If marriage equality causes a government to topple, that government really needed toppling anyway imo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That sounds loving fantastic, and I wish our lovely government worked in a similar way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-hampshire-transgender-20180307-story.html%3foutputType=amp

We fuckin did it! :toot:

E: To clarify, the anti-discrimination amendment only passed the NH house and still needs to go through the senate, but the house tends slightly more conservative than the senate in NH so it's looking good.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 8, 2018

• Locked thread