Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hackbunny posted:

On one hand, whoop-de-doo, big surprise
On the other hand, great, now we're no longer just degenerates, we have no honor either

It looks like more evidence that anti-LGBT rhetoric and social discrimination/bigotry/the pressures of being LGBT in America are what contributed to this, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's too many Reds in the US for us to not get screwed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pence is vice president and the Reds control the government. Say goodbye to all the progress of the past 8 years.

What can we do to stop it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Fighting back. Taking to the streets if needed. Moaning on an Internet forum - while cathartic - doesn't mean anything if you don't put your money where your mouth is. Like I said last night now isn't the time for despair now is the time to roll up our sleeves and get ready to fight.

...alright. If that's what it takes, I'll do it. I only ever changed things by doing then myself, after all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All we can do now is fight. As long as we know how, of course, because the people have less power than it seems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm prolly gonna move away from the US. I don't know where, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We're at DEFCON 1 here, and no way to deal with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trump is not who scares me. It's Pence. He's openly anti-LGBT and in power.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Pale Horse posted:

They get put in charge of initiatives that the president is interested in pursuing, not their own and they don't drive policy. They execute the president's will, nothing more.

If you all want to screech impotently about how this is the end of the world and how they're going to recriminalize sodomy as some sort of cathartic coping mechanism, feel free, but I think we're actually the minority group with the least to fear from Trump. Unless you happen to be latino and gay or arab and gay, then I understand perfectly and empathize with your justified anxiety.

I'm not saying we're going to get away scott free from this, but even the nomination of a scalia like justice doesn't shift the balance from what the court decided in Obergefell. If another of the Justices who voted in the majority in Obergefell checks out then is the time to start worrying.

We've been proven wrong many times this election season. We will be proven wrong again. I'm not willing to take ay more chances. Pence is vile and I will not stand for him being in any position of power.

We are in serious trouble here. Not just LGBT people, but women who will have their rights and opportunities compromised, immigrants who are singled out and targeted for deportation, people of color who are blamed and regularly abused, and most bewildering of all - the lower class rural voter, who is having the wool pulled over their eyes by the establishment that's trying to shift the blame onto minorities in an effort to keep them placated.

We are in serious trouble here, and the worst part is, it was inevitable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to fight. I just don't know how, yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pence and the alt-right fuckheads are the real danger in the Trump administration. Trump himself is a puppet with Bannon's arm up his rear end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:yikes: Welp holy poo poo. We should do an expose on this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is Cooper capable of striking down HB2 or not?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe the problem isn't the individuals but the fact that larger society sees deviation from rigid norms as satanic and hosed up because Trump etc. It's not our fault, it's theirs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How would this situation change if he were gay instead of bi?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fishmech posted:

If he were actually gay, he couldn't have gotten married in Chicago back in 2001/2002, and so the whole situation wouldn't have been happening then because he couldn't have had the citizenship process going. If he were just gay, the earliest he could have had a legal marriage in Illinois was about 2014, 2 years after that article, and he couldn't be up for consideration for citizenship until about 2019 at the absolute earliest.

So basically, the entire situation couldn't occur.

Simply being gay doesn't prevent you from getting married, it's about who you marry - marriages of convenience between gay men and women have happened before. I'm talking more about if only the identity changed - not the actors.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bethamphetamine posted:

North Carolina democrats are really beating that appeasement drum on HB2. Their latest repeal attempt is to acknowledge that evil bathroom crimes exist, even though they provably don't exist.

http://patch.com/north-carolina/fortbragg/north-carolina-gov-proposes-compromise-hb2-repeal

The only concern for republicans was stigmatizing and denigrating trans people. Their concerns should remain unaddressed, but golly gee, NC democrats really want this inconvenient issue to go away quietly.

Democrats continue to be worthless, film at 11.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hollismason posted:

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are apparently pretty liberal in their social views so I don't think we're going to get any EO orders that are super detrimental to the LGBT community , but Sessions is going to gently caress the community anyway he can.

Ivanka and Kushner have no impact on policy and even if they did, they only care about finance. They're not gonna help us. We're ruled by Sessions and Bannon now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We managed to identify what was going on, so she'll definitely get caught if she hasn't been by now. Still, might as well propagate the claim that the bus's spokesperson advocated for genocide. Fire with fire, etc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bethamphetamine posted:

Who the gently caress could have seen this coming? Roy Cooper is a worthless piece of poo poo and NC republicans have won a decisive victory because he is so pathetic and craven. Gotta protect those sacred public bathrooms from those evil trans predators.

No...really?

Yeah, this seems like typical Democrat capitulation. Huge disappointment, and a good reason to never vote for Democrats again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So what I'm getting re: Indonesia is, gently caress Saudi Arabia?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keeshhound posted:

I can't see this not going to SCOTUS if implemented. Does anyone know for sure what Gorsuch's views on the atypically sexual are?

What do you think?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keeshhound posted:

That he's a hollowed out corporatist shill whose default response is going to be the astonishingly lazy "what does the law as written say?"

This matters only in as much as the law as written has a conservative bias. Gorsuch is entirely willing to throw away that strategy to toe the GOP/right-wing line. Plus, he'll prolly just say "lol I don't see where in the Constitution it says that we CAN'T gently caress over trans people so eat it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Or you just get very tired.

• Locked thread