Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
KILNOR, Galactic Devourer - Location: Ship known simply as "Ship"
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskWp1uSpms

Light. There was light as it looked at you. Its regard for you, the meaning in this acknowledgement. Standing at 10 meters tall, the voice coming from Kilnor was both organic and robotic at the same time, abrasive to all life.
"Heralds. Behold!"

"Life that I may feed upon. Our covenant is binding, now hold your end of the bargain." It stood there saying nothing more. But you could feel the weight of its gaze on each of you. That's right. All of you now were together, here. As different as any beings could be. You could speak to one another, ask questions. Oddly though, none of you could remember where home was. Power thrummed through you from Kilnor in one last pulse.

Rhyfel, Prototype #209 - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim
BP: 0

Your sensors could soon see everything. Ship. The other heralds, your suites of subroutines and calculations that they were all very capable and possessing of the power cosmic. Your own power felt almost inexhaustible, you knew instinctively that you could hold more. What would you do now that you were free?"

Titan - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

The light was blinding, but yet your eyes perfectly could see you now knew in absence of any particles of light or flooded with the light of 1000 suns. The perfect body and brain, you felt smarter than the others and yet...not knowing anything about them could prove troublesome later. Would you stay and learn more, perhaps commune with Kilnor or the others?

Herald Jonah - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo! "poo poo" you heard yourself say. Now you were in the poo poo. Up poo poo creek without a lovely paddle. The ship around you regenerated around you faster than you corroded it. The others were a little ways away from you or hadn't noticed you yet. You had a set of leg and wrist mounted machinery, jets of some kind made of the same material as the ship. You knew there were vessels it had captured from devoured races you could also take in the docking bay. poo poo. How did you know that?

Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

Sensation returned. You were told...not to try to eat the other heralds. They were strange beings and you were small, so small. You needed to grow again, too long without reproducing as needed. You could hear the surface thoughts of the others...so quiet compared to Kilnor

Maren Ojira, Lich Prince - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

This was magic of a kind you'd never known. It tasted so different. The others, nearby now. Alive and yet not alive. This was new. Kilnor seemed to want you all to get to bringing it worlds, but it wasn't pushing any of you to leave. The others were all around you, filled with the same measure of power. But that could change.

Ivadora - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

You stifled a yawn. About time. Really boring in there talking to Kilnor. That there were others being there didn't surprise you, but what the gently caress were some of these freaks? Some were like you and others...?

Ok so I changed my mind and rewrote how this would go, again. Here you all are. Kilnor is the Galactic Devourer. You are on his Ship named: SHIP. The map of the galaxy has quadrants but the labels might be crap and I may have to redo them. You can stay and talk, give impressions or talk to the others before leaving and or possibly ask Kilnor questions or even use some of SHIP's systems to get gear to get around and or some tools if your character lacks mobility etc.

Recruitment and discussion thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770517

Also, players that engage their drawbacks (or when I envoke them) will get 1 BP which when used gives a +2 to your rolls.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Herald Jonah

"Just my loving luck. The fucker didn't bother to tell us where on this map we are. Well gently caress him and gently caress the lot of you too." Jonah jabbed his finger at the bright yellow star in the very center of the map. He figured that was probably the closest star anyways. "I'm heading here. The rest of you fuckers better stay the gently caress away from me or I'll gently caress you up proper." If Jonah realized how limited and repetitive his vocabulary was he didn't show any sign of it. I'm the baddest mother-fucker on... on..." Jonah suddenly realized he couldn't remember where he came from "from my home planet." He took the time to glare around at everyone equally before swirling his cape dramatically and striding to the hanger to appropriate a suitably flashy ride.

LLSix posted:

Herald Jonah
Things fall apart. The center cannot hold. I look forward to laughing as worlds are eaten; as the mighty are humbled. In my old life other men, lesser men were promoted over me. I did the hard work but I was never in the right place at the right time to be noticed. I had the talent, the skills, the smarts, the connections, and the blood to succeed. Never the luck though. Nothing but bad luck for me. It didn't matter how hard I worked, how much I succeeded. They all laughed at me. Remembered only my failures and never my triumphs. Now they'll pay; they'll all pay. The Devourer has promised me it will eat them if only I will deliver another world to it. Soon they will all be in the belly of the beast, and then I will be laughing.

The Devourer has given me powers and placed me above all others. At last my ship has come in; and now everyone will pay for not respecting me.

Bad Luck + 2: What was once my rotten luck has now become the Universes! Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong - for everyone who didn't help me when I was down.

Incorruptible Flesh + 2: All of the Jonah's bad luck is now forced on other people. All of it. All the little mistakes made in copying DNA, all the small, accumulating errors in the body as it ages don't happen to him anymore. His flesh is ageless and will heal perfectly given enough time.

Entropy + 2: Everything in the Jonah's presence falls apart. Advance alloys split into their constituent metals and flint arrowheads decay back into disorganized, shapeless rocks.

Just a Man - 2: Cut him and he bleeds, punch him and he goes flying into a wall and doesn't get up. Unlike many of the Heralds, Jonah is still basically just a man. If it wasn't for the very fancy hotrod the Devourer granted him he wouldn't even be able to travel from planet to planet.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Titan looked over the others with sneering contempt, fully secure in his superiority. These dregs were not worth speaking too, so he simply left without a word. Maybe if they proved themselves sufficiently he might deign to notice them at some later time, but for the moment he was overwhelmed with a desire to go and take his new power for a spin.

Detouring though the equipment section, Titan quickly procured a belt-like device to allow him to float effortlessly, he did not know how he knew what the device was, he suspected it must have been a side-effect of the energy or perhaps a function of the giant structure they were on. He pauses for a second, and then grabs a second belt before heading towards the docking bay. It would be useful to study its mechanism without having to worry about leaving him unable to make use of it.

The docking bay is full of ships, such a variety to chose from. He needed a ship that would be able to last long periods without repairs and maintenance, that had useful research labs, and that was sufficienly fast and powerful for his needs. Of course, his eyes were also drawn to ships that served to flatter his vanity, even if they might not have all the requirements he desired.

Picking a ship to take. Using Super-Genius[+2] to figure out which ship will best suit his needs. Of course this is at war with his Vanity[-2] which drove him to so rudely dismiss the other heralds, and demands his ship be sufficiently grandiose and luxurious for someone of his obvious superiority.

Valhawk posted:

Titan

A backwater world, stuck in a perpetual stone age, a world with only muscle power available, with no technology more advanced than stone weapons and basic agriculture, a world too petty and backwards to even have a proper name. This is where Titan was born, and where Titan would’ve languished if not for the strange turns of fate. Ajit was born a scrawny weakling. Likely a mutation he now theorizes, his prodigious intellect paired with perpetual ailment leaving him stunted, ugly, and weak. The malnutrition he suffered only made his condition worse, leaving him perpetually skin and bones. On his homeworld this made him both the subject of mockery and the victim of anyone stronger than him. If not for his impossibly keen mind he would almost certainly have been killed. However, larger stronger people, various warlords, realized the value of his intellect and inventions, even if they did not understand them.

Ajit would have spent his entire life, a pet inventor, a slave going from ruler to ruler, as he was stolen, bartered, surrendered, and won by various warlords that fought across the surface of his world. That all changed when by the vagaries of chance, the Devourer was drawn to Ajit’s world. Something about him drew the Devourer’s eye, and in an instant Ajit was transported from the primitive workshop of his latest owner, and appeared before the great creature. A bargain was struck, in exchange for finding other worlds for him to consume, old Titan’s world would be spared, and far more importantly for Ajit, the Devourer would grant him great power.

In a flash of cosmic power, Ajit was forever changed, reforged into something far more than he had been. Gone was the scrawny, malformed body that Ajit had cursed from the day he was born. In its place, a perfectly formed body, impressively muscular, and capable of withstanding far more damage than any merely normal body. He was no longer restricted to a weakling body on a backwater world, He would do what was absolutely necessary to stay in his new master’s good graces, he had played that game many times before, but beyond that mere minimum he would find worlds and take them for himself, remake them as he pleased. No more was he the pathetic Ajit, now he was Titan

Super Genius[+2] - Titan was born with a massive intellect, far in advance of any other being on his world, than most beings in the universe. Though he was born in a society with no real technology or academic learning, Titan managed to discover many fields through observation and logical deduction, chemistry, physics, calculus, psychology. He managed to figure out everything he could with his limited tools and theorized even more. Now that he is free from the constraints of his backwards planet, his mind consumes every fact it can find, further feeding his ever increasing knowledge of the universe and how to manipulate it.

Perfected Body[+2] - The Devourer transformed Titan’s body using his immense cosmic power. Where once Titan had been stunted and sickly, now he stands seven feet tall, his form the ideal of humanity, aesthetically perfect and far more durable than any normal human body. Thanks to this, he is able to comfortably handle environments normal humans would find fatal without mechanical assistance.

Cosmic Strength[+2] - His new body’s muscles are not simply for show, thank’s to the Devourer's gift Titan now possesses superhuman strength, empowered by the cosmic forces at the Devourer’s command. Combined with the durability of his new body it makes him a formidable hand to hand combatant.

Vain[-2] - Having once been ugly, weak, and exploited, Titan’s newfound body and strength have gone to his head. He cares very much about his appearance and the perceptions of others towards him. He is easy to manipulate through flattery, and responds very poorly to insults or denigration.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Ivadora of Underhaven

Ivadora shrugs her linebacker shoulders as the two storm off. "Uh, hello? Anyone want to do basic politeness or are we all just too badass to deal with that stuff now? We going to do that thing where we're all so scared to show weakness we display nothing but contempt for fellow sapients and stride off like we just don't care? It doesn't make you seem stronger, just makes you a tool. I'm Ivadora of uh. um." She squints trying to remember the placename. "I guess it doesn't actually matter at this point. I assume you're the equivalent of colleagues now, so anyone want to introduce themselves?"

Using [Heroism+2] to try to develop some kinda rapport here, and seem like someone worth talking to.

quote:

War orphan, child soldier, pillager, and thief, Ivadora was born amid the raging battles that split apart the ruins of her home city. By age 5, she was sharpening tools for her adopted mother's field hospital. At age 14, she killed her first person, a forager from one of the mercenary companies came too close to the catacomb her “village” lived in. She can still hear the crunch his body made as she pulled the lever, causing the centuries-old stone doors to smash him in half. From there it was foraging and helping her mother peddle her trade on the surface before fleeing to the underground.

As she grew older the forays grew more violent. Reaching the surface at night, her and the others fell upon small bands of invaders and their camp followers and tore them to pieces, quickly looting the bodies before fleeing reinforcements. Perhaps she and her cohorts got too good, or too sloppy, because the following truce and alliance between the surfacer armies to cleanse the underworld filth was sudden as it was violent. One by one, the little settlements of scavengers, always suspicious of each other and unwilling to cooperate, were wiped out.

Ivadora didn't notice when the stars went out, the Divine energy of the world recycling itself into new hosts, as she was trapped underground fighting for her life and all, but she felt the change. Watching helplessly from a small tunnel as yet another neighboring thorp was besieged, the overwhelming disgust, fear, and hatred of being alone and helpless was replaced by a burning sensation of rage and duty. The next few hours were a blur, moving from tomb to tomb, mobilizing the natives against the threat. The next few months saw the retaking of her home city and a march on the rest of the world.

Other terrors, similarly empowered by the cycling of the Starfall, began to reshape the world in their image, and a long, bloody confrontation was waged to ensure something resembling humanity would have a place in it. At great cost, Ivadora and her followers carved out a slice of sanity from the chaos. Refusing to take up leadership of the world due to a crushing paranoia and introversion, Ivadora had since settled down to a busy semi-retirement of wandering the world and brutally murdering whatever monster, human or beast, threatened the populace. Being selected by the Devourer is a string of mixed emotions. One, she's forced to leave her home, on the other, there's an entire universe full of assholes to stab between the eyes.

[Heroism +2]: Ivadora has killed a LOT of people, seen many more die, and now has inspired others to do the same so the killing can finally stop. The Devourer's power has leant her the ability to lead or inspire just about any sapient being, or kick its rear end if needs be.

[Implacable +2]: Ivadora has killed a LOT of people, many of whom thought she was dead after being stabbed and shot only a dozen odd times. The infusion of cosmic power has amplified this to a frightening degree. Nowadays, something that could permanently break her body or will is theoretically possible, but she hasn't met it yet.

[Metal and Meat +2]: Ivadora has killed a LOT of people, some of those were on her operating table. Oops. Her mastery of surgery in even the worst conditions is matched only by her affinity for field engineering and weaponry. She's never seen a plasma blaster before, but its probably going to be vaporizing someone's face seconds after she gets ahold of it. If the pile of amputated hands that formed after each battle behind her mother's tent could applaud, they would. Also helpful for growing missing parts of you back.

[Unhinged and Traumatized -2]: Ivadora has killed a LOT of people and several centuries of untreated, cumulative mental traumas have not left her the most lucid or stable of individuals, even if her heart is in the right place.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 23, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Maren Ojira, Lich Prince

"Maren Ojira, at your Service!" the rather young, deathly pale man with eerily glowing symbols on his clothes (and hand, even) replies, clearly sarcastically and over the top.

"Colleagues... is I suppose an adequate term to describe it, yes. And, actually, I mostly don't care. But I do appreciate someone who can speak their mind. Very well, you got my attention... for the moment. Do tell me, what are you all about, hmm?"

Going to use Master of the Mind [+2] to pilfer her mind for useful information, like weaknesses. If that's not okay for whatever reason, I'll just do nothing.

quote:

Grand Necromancy [+2] - Everyone knows what a Necromancer does. Now imagine it on a cosmic scale, rising entire armies on a whim - and you got Maren's new capabilities. No way this can go wrong, right?

Lichdom [+2] - Maren, too, is undead. This can be pretty useful! Not having any weaknesses in vital organs allows to fight one more reckless, and as a Lich, he has phylactories. Therefore, killing him only means he'll reform later on, somewhere else. With crafty use, one could even use this to travel across worlds!

Master of the Mind [+2] - Having been somewhat of a side project of Maren during his "ordinary" un-life, with the power cosmic, can flat out read people's minds, store knowledge in objects, and do other fancy things.

Prideful [-2] Maren used to a be a prince, even before his ascension to a lich - and now, he's more powerful than ever. Power does go to a person's head...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 23, 2016

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
You can only get surface thoughts like "I'm hungry now" anything deeper is completely walled off due to the power cosmic you each possess.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Rhyfel - SHIP

A few more passive scans and one unusual error message [Noted anomaly: Jonah], the war mech clanked over to the cosmic map. “Kilnor. Query: Is further data on target planets available? Desired target: Abundant Plant and Animal life.” After the departure of two fellow Cosmic Hunter Units, and the invitation to speak it chose to do so.

“Greeting: My Designation is Rhyfel. Statement: I am an independent war machine, battle-tested and fully operational. Systems are running on peak capacity. Addendum: I am eager to begin destroying all that I encounter.” Rhyfel stomped and began quietly running combat simulations between himself and each of the others.

quote:

Rhyfel, Prototype #209

On the Technologically advanced planet of Tiorted the planetary government had a dream: a fleet of ships with an army of war machines to take over the galaxy. They took to using their prototypes to crush dissenting rebels on the home front, upgrading each model and endlessly checking its variables. Each time the armament, intelligence, and self-repair capabilities grew. Power sources continued to be a problem, but advances in "small" fusion core technology allowed engagements lasting up to a week at a time.

The program came to a halt with #209. It never explained its actions, but it activated itself after it returned to the lab for deconstruction. It single-handedly leveled the capital city, created a nanovirus to infect life on the planet, and turned all networked systems against their operators before going to standby mode due to low power. The beginnings of a dark age had been laid, if not for the Devourer. Rhyfel was down to it's last hours of standby power when the Devourer came into range.

/Query: Survival and power in exchange for service?

[+2] Nanites - Intended to be used for self-repair and cannibalizing resources, they can be reprogrammed for many other useful tasks.
[+2] Adaptive Arsenal - The main cannons can be reconfigured to shoot an array of projectiles, energy beams, gases, or jets of liquid.
[+2] Advanced AI - Able to interface with any electronic technology and may be able to bend it to its will.

[-2] Power Hog - The onboard fusion core has a limited life span, replacement is a time consuming and difficult task. Fixed due to infusion of power Cosmic

[-2] Built To Destroy - With its nature as a war mech Rhyfel has difficulty doing anything besides destroying its enemies. Diplomacy and world-building are difficult prospects due to this.

[Planetary Favor: [at start not all planets are known and all are at 0]
Tiorted: 0

Devourer Favor: [at start all are 0]

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora

quote:

There’s a little tingle following his cadence and words and its a half moment when she feels the invasive tendrils probing at her thoughts. She immediately grabs her head, full defensive measure. She didn’t have that much experience with mind controllers that didn’t have a physical vector (the fungus zombies back home were their own special treat)

Maren: “Hah! Relax, woman. As much as it pains me to admit, it did not work.” he replies nonchalantly, as if what he just tried was perfectly normal.

I:“I’m going to guess you come from a background where you weren’t in the habit of people telling you “no”. Stature would indicate nobility*. Smell would indicate...less than fresh. How far off am I?”

* she leaves off the second part of the sentence specifically “The sort of nobility where the family tree is a circle” but he might pick up on that anyways.

M:“You’re not wrong. I am in fact a prince. Well, used too, anyway. You know, before I died and got turned into a Lich by my own father! And then I killed him. And his entire kingdom. Ah, good times. Wait, you just got me to tell you about myself. Sneaky bugger, aren’t you! Now, return the favor.” he explains, chuckling when he remembers the best bits.

Ivadora smiles and lets him in just a bit, there’s a blighted, ruined metropolis wracked by 30 years of near nonstop medium intensity warfare, a childhood involving slicing open things, both in a medical and interpersonal contexts, and doing it to increasingly nastier things. There’s a giant slug with a building side salt container being poured on it, some mushroom overlord being dropped into a bearnaise sause, and a bear with a drill for a face. You get the feeling you’re getting a general highlight reel and she’s trying to tell you about herself without actually telling that much. “I come from interesting parts. I’ll leave it at that.”

M:“Oh dear. You have a past just as messed up as mine. Probably more. You know what, we might just get along! Or not. I haven’t decided yet. But don’t worry, if I do end up trying to kill you I will inform you beforehand. … maybe.” he continues, looking up to the stars around Ship. “So, any idea where you’ll go first?”

I:“Somewhere where they deserve it, I’m guessing. If the rest of the galaxy is anywhere like home, I’m guessing there’s places where entropy is well underway, it just needs a push in the right direction. Ideally by stabbing it.”

“Oh, I do like your style. But I suppose I should get going now. Now where did I leave my dragon… Wait, did it even get teleported here? It better have… It would be awkward for someone like me to just take a ship somewhere, and all. Gotta have style. Zombie dragon kind of style.”

“Have fun with that.” Ivadora hopes whenever they have their inevitable showdown there’s a locker equivalent* he can be nerd-shoved into.

*Its an almost universal concept among sentients, it's called different places on different worlds, but there’s almost always a common storage container used for stuffing lovely dorks into during their formative years.

“Now that is just uncalled for. Don’t worry, I’ll have my revenge… Later. I got work to do.” he replies to your unspoken comment while walking off. He IS still reading her mind, after all...

Ivadora turns and nods at the death golem, it was amazing, but they had only just met: it'd be way too forward to just walk up to it and ask if she could rummage around inside it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Maren Ojira, Lich Prince

"So, let me sum this up: We've got a dumbass with no vocabulary to speak off, a brute way too full of himself, a woman perfectly fine with discussing murder openly, me, and a boring killdeath metal monstrosity. I must say, I am surprised at just how wrong all of these choices are..." he chuckles, somewhat madly. "But, perhaps that is the point. Finding a bunch of degenerates and letting them lose into the galaxy."

"Oh, and hi, I guess. Name's Maren. Yeah, go destroy a place. Whatever. I'm going."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 24, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora

"Oh c'mon, for a lord of death you surely understand a plan to kill everyone you meet isn't rudeness- its due diligence. That said, I think we need to head out..."

Ivadora stares at the technological wonders in the hull, her mind grasped instinctively what they were for, aseptically how to use them to kill people, but is having difficulty picking which one. Her people had begun to use airships, but the possibility of crossing the void was something else entirely.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 24, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Rhyfel - SHIP

Noting the banter of the fleshy one and the walking corpse ERROR:HOWDOESONEKILLTHATWHICHISALREADYDEAD Rhyfel noted a ship capable of re-configuring its form. Interfacing with it gave a vast amount of data, and the machine began to use its nanotechnology and adaptive systems to rebuild itself and cannibalize the technology, refitting itself to be capable of spaceflight.

"Statement: An array of pre-generated adaptable battle plans increases efficiency. Rote adherence to battle plans decreases effectiveness. Plans must be ever changing to meet current and future objectives. "

Assuming gaining a ship is merely flavor for how we are going to travel, in lieu of a cosmic surfboard, I'm going transformers and BEING ONE.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts

Such vulnerability. I hate being disembodied.

The tiny insects of its swarm fly in lazy spirals, a haze in the air. Politeness keeps it well away from any of the other heralds. Even without KILNOR's ironclad orders Gracious Visitor would likely avoid direct conflict with unknown combatants without anyway way to recoup biomass losses. Small flights of insects detach from the swarm, scouting the massive ship. Just as the hangars brimmed with exotic vessels, Gracious Visitor knows that somewhere there will be a supply of protein and biological materials. Best to start growing the psychoportation host immediately. The other heralds would be well on their way before the host would mature enough to trigger the self-destructive mental leap across the void. The swarm portions off a sizable cluster of its neuron-bodies to coordinate the scouting then turns its attention back to the gathered heralds.

What an eclectic assortment KILNOR's dredged up here.

The bodyjacker regards its peers. Several spring into action with varying degrees of assertiveness. A few of the gnat-sized insects that make up Gracious Visitor's swarm follow after each herald to leave the room. Each individual insect is profoundly limited in perspective. Only with clusters of them can the controlling intelligence piece together a reliable view.

I am so debased. Just handful of eyes for such beings.

The remaining heralds converse and for a moment Gracious Visitor just lets their chatter, both auditory and mental, wash over it. It rejoices to have stimulus again. Personalities and minds to model and plot. Struggle being born before its many eyes. The mindsong hums in the ether. Soon the conversation begins to wind down and several more heralds make to leave. Chitin rasps on chitin as Gracious Visitor speaks for the first time in a long while. It's suprisingly well modulated. Hardly sounds like a horrific sentient swarm of insects at all.

"What is the rush? Such as we move at our own paces. Forgive my rudeness for not introducing myself. I am Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts."

Not Alex posted:

Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts

Only a form of life as alien as the Devourer would have recognized any potential for sentience in Gracious Visitor's early form. A swarm of insectile parasites with limited empathic abilities, Gracious Visitor was embraced by the power cosmic and made into something terrible and divine. Empathic links strengthed into the mindsong, bodies altered into chemical and genetic scalpels, Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts became a body-jacker with no equal. Learning to control these abilities and prepare worlds for the Devourer took a great deal of time. Learning that worlds should not fall to the abomination took longer still. Gracious Visitor hardly morns the death of its world for it was born in the world's death. But in the endless cycle of consumption Gracious Visitor sees complacency and rot. Life deserves to fight back.

Gracious Visitor's benevolence would be hard to notice for an outside observer. Indeed its primary modus operandi is to infect and infiltrate the dominant species and spark global war. Once the planet has been blasted into a hellscape, it sets to work on shaping the inhabitants into beings empowered by their endless struggle against the environment and themselves. The vicious, kill or be killed evolution of strength is the closest thing to parental affection that Gracious Visitor can give to its charges. Life is struggle, struggle is change, change is life. And someday on some world a species will turn, look up into the Devourer's visage and say "No."

Swarm Body (+2) Made of thousands to billions of breeding individuals, the tiny insects that make up Gracious Visitor's body would be hard to completely annihilate.

Telepathically Distributed intelligence
(+2) Nodes of Gracious Visitor's body can communicate across planetary distances. The distributed nature of this sentience makes Gracious Visitor hellishly intelligent.

Flesh Sculptor (+2) Life is the universe's most elegant machine. Gracious Vistor is adept at biosciences with a specialization in uplift techniques and bioweapons. Indeed it must be as Gracious Visitor's only method of interstellar travel is specially prepared psionically empowered host. A new one is slowly bred on each world conquered.

Nigh Universally Abhorrent (-2) Despite its ultimately beneficial disposition, Gracious Visitor's infectious lifecycle and mindcontrolling ways are almost always despised. It cannot negotiate directly with any but the most dispassionate beings. Turns out it's exceedingly hard to trust the mindslaving hellwasp from outerspace that wants to lay eggs in your brain.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora

Ivadora looks up at the...things squirming about. "Hello. I'm gonna guess, some kinda hivemind, right? Or is one of the maggots the voice of the people, as it were and the rest are just along for the ride?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Maren

"I'm Maren. That's all you need to know for now. Anyway, I will be going now.

Walking off, he finally senses his ride on Ship. About drat time.

Mounting up on his giant zombie dragon, a memento from his homeworld, he takes off, heading towards a random system in the firmament... opposite of where the others have headed so far.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:siren: Just an FYI, if you make too many posts without your location, or BP counts, you're going to earn rolling penalties. Its so when I update its easier to do and keep track of stuff. When you start earning the favor of the Devourer or Planets, you will need to post that too. Its the beginning so its not a big deal but it will be as time goes on. :siren:

Herald Jonah - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

The ship bay is massive and there are many vessels to choose from, sleek single manned fighters to mighty warships. All will soon be destined to be broken down into energy to feed the devourer you think dimly. There were extremely advanced and extremely simple ones, all Herald Jonah had to do was pick....

Will you try your luck for a ship? or take the first available?

Ivadora and Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

As the two chat, Kildar begins walking away from you. It begins to start changing out various mechanism and moving around large machinery and almost organic looking components around the large room. It seems to be getting larger the further it walked from you...

Good chats! You can go anywhere in SHIP or strike out into the galaxy like the rest

Maren - Location: ? - Omega Quadrant

The Dragon sits in a glowing pile, soaking up the dark energy of a shadow ship, it reforms itself into a truly magnificent mount. As Maren leaves the ship the Undead-Space-Dragon begins to pickup speed. Astonishingly, you feel the power cosmic begin to respond about where you wish to go. A temporary wormhole appears and soon you are riding down a blindingly bright tunnel bridging possibility and distance. As you exit it it closes with a thunderclap behind you. You get the feeling that you can only jump long distances with it and you have no idea how much time may or may not have passed while travelling through it. Luckily, you have your Undead Dragon to carry you through local space, you shudder to think of trying a long distance jump in almost the same region.

You can wormhole jump. But not within the same sector unfortunately. Your undead dragon can carry you the rest of the way. You'll have to find your bearings somehow.

Rhyfel - Location: Outside ]Ship, Galactic Rim

As Rhyfel looked at the map, he realized: The Devourer was not from THIS galaxy! The information was sparse but that didn't stop Rhyfel from mapping the star charts anyway. As it reconfigured itself for space flight and transformed from robot to ship there was surely more than meets the eye when it came to Rhyfel. Outside of SHIP Rhyfel went through battle routines and shaking down the design for any flaws. He realized he could create a temporary wormhole for long distance travel between quadrants, but no closer distances. Interesting.

Transform and Roll Out!

BP: 1[/b]

A skullfaced vessel filled with wonders of science, sorcery, and the very secrets of the universe loomed before Titan. It had tools and labs for running simulations of any kind, a wonder. A marvel! It would put him before all other Heralds if only...only. It wasn't so drab. It was like his cell back on his homeworld. Plain and prison-like. No. he walked over to a defenseless space yacht it gleamed with lines befitting a king. Gold and platinum, precious stones and metals. It was like a giant pyramid of beautiful art. The drive wasn't very powerful because it had to push immense amounts of mass around. Indeed, the ship was titanic. It was staffed with thin limbed servant robots and the finest food replicators. It was beautiful even though the shields barely kept out the vacuum of space, holographic projectors on the outside of the ship could make it look like it was flying through the clouds of a blue sky as marble columns surrounded the giant throne that was the captain's chair. It was...perfect! The Skull ship is soon caught by one of the arms of SHIP and sent to be processed into raw atoms and energy for consumption. Titan had already forgotten it as he boarded the most beautiful ship in the galaxy.

Titan's drawback loses him the best PC ship in the game. Enjoy your 1 BP!

Better larger map:

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Rhyfel - Xi Sector
BP - 0

It went over the data regarding the wormhole. Such a device could have excellent battlefield capabilities, but for now Rhyfel drifted, collecting data on the Xi sector.

Searching for Target...Using advanced AI +2 and my onboard systems to try and pick up any transmissions from inhabited worlds in this sector.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
BP: 1

Titan looked upon the great ship, it was love at first sight. It was perhaps not the fastest or most powerful, but those flaws could be corrected with a bit of work, unlike a ships aesthetics. He informed SHIP that this was to be his vessel, but he did not depart yet. No he stood amidst thousands of vessels, a veritable master course in the design and construction of starships, not to mention a treasure trove of parts. Titan had theorized that a ship could move through a vacuum back on his homeworld, but he lacked the tools to even determine that the atmosphere had a limit. Of course, his math had fairly accurately described the universe, but it was different seeing it first hand.

So it was that Titan examined the other ships, noting the systems they possessed and the theoretical and practical aspects that went into construction. He disassembled systems where necessary to obtain parts. All in the service of making sure his vessel possessed the practical abilities to match its unparalleled majesty.

Titan the Super Genius[+2] is upgrading his ship and teaching himself space-ship design and construction in the process. Perfect Body[+2] to allow him to work for long hours and without having to worry about injuring himself, Cosmic Strength[+2] where needed to lift up super heavy stuff (in case there's any neutronium or exotic element that's super-duper dense).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora

As the group departs, Iva stays around for awhile and begins searching for an archive or something similar. She needs to know what she's getting into, this was going to be like planning any other act of assassination, albeit this time of a world instead of just a person (or a lot of persons); winging it entirely was a terrible idea.

Trying to get some book learning about this crazy galaxy void stuff, and look for evidence about potential targets. [Metal and Meat+2] is my knowledge skill and [Implacable+2] if you'll agree with it hyperfocusing on my studies.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Maren - Location: ???
BP - 0

Well, that was exciting! Also... very bright. Brr. You know, bright lights suck when your eyes aren't exactly the newest!

Time to for some planets with life on it, I guess. Actually, scratch that. Let's find one without life first! Got to put down some phylacteries first.

Nothing to exciting. Looking for a nice, safe, lifeless planet to plonk down a phylactery using [Lichdom +2], and scanning the worlds with [Master of the Mind +2] to make sure there isn't any life on them for real.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts - Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

Alas, so much for pleasantries. The last few Heralds depart complete with their tiny buzzing entourages. It might be useful to recognize the others' vehicles and of course more information on their behaviors is always helpful. In the meeting room Gracious Visitor studies the star charts for a long moment, the whirling insects of its swarm idly mimicing the positions of the stars as it commits the map to memory.

One of the scouting flights finally reports success. A fantastic bio lab complete with nutrient tanks and even a handful of live specimens gathered from unknown worlds. The main body of the swarm makes its way there. Sustenance at last! A brief and happy period of feasting and reproduction. The specimens are left untouched, no need to stymie whatever interest KILNOR has taken in them.

Finally to the urgent matter of producing the psychoportation host. It is a well remembered genome, adapted here and there for varying environments. Gracious Visitor sets to work, individual insects taking in certain chemicals, reacting them, and passing the result to the next. Carefully controlled chemistry in myriad organic test tubes. Soon a toolbox of enzymes is built up. From there Gracious Visitor moves on to the genetic information of several of its swarm's eggs. Best to produce in parallel even at Gracious Visitor's level of mastery. Molecules are unzipped, modified, and replicated. Over and over. It is both fantastically exacting and fantastically repetitive work. Within hours though the results are apparent. The modified eggs have grown larger, fed with nutrients and developing a form much different than their original sires. If successful the new creatures will be vaguely starfish like, composed of mostly neural tissue and fat. Only the most rudimentary systems to sustain life as they are cared for meticulously by the swarm. The largest will grow to be a little over a meter in width. Gracious Visitor's swarm will gorge on chemicals and enzymes and burrow into the host. Gracious Visitor will hijack the simple mind of the host and initiate a psionic leap across the stars, drawn to nodes of thought in the dark. The host organism's neurons will be burnt out from the tremendous energies of the feat.

Building my ride with [Flesh Sculptor +2]. Dunno if my smarts with [Telepathically Distributed intelligence +2] also apply. The host should take a while to mature, making me one of the slower travellers. I'll be questing out towards an inhabited world in the sigma sector once I successfully breed a ride.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Herald Jonah Location: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim

Jonah strode on board the first vessel bristling with weapons he saw. Lights came on in the vessel as the warship's semi-autonomous AI detected the presence of a life form, guiding Jonah to the bridge. A hologram flickered into life when he sat in the captain's chair. "Welcome to the Glorious Heritage class Ship of the Line, Diana, captain. I am fully armed and fueled. I await only your order and the co-ordinates of our destination." Prompted by the question, the power cosmic granted by KILNOR burned numbers in Jonah's mind and he smoothly rattled off the co-ordinates of the bright yellow star in the center of Kappa sector before cursing. "drat, that's spooky. loving weird just knowing stuff like that. It's coming in handy though. Maximum speed Diana. The sooner I crush this planet for KILNOR, the sooner I can punish everyone back home for not recognizing my talents."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Rhyfel - Location: Xi Quadrant
BP - 0

Rhyfel soon hears some faint radio signals, possibly from exploratory satellites. There are some focused radiation pulses as well in the sector which repeat with regularity. The radioactive communications could mean advanced species capable of space flight. The radio signals likely meant a race merely trying to grasp for the stars. How pathetic. The sector he was in had these two, perhaps there were more but not even advanced to make tools?

Some neo-barbs going to have some bad luck I think

Before titan began work the ship had its flaws rear end well as charm...
Power: +6
Engines: +4
Shields: +2
Weapons(Powered): 0
Weapons(Missiles, ballistics): 0
Mass: -12
Bling: +10

Poktul Inertial Dampeners from solar skimmers and deep probes soon reduced the overall mass of the beautiful yacht but came with its own issues. They took more power. Sighing and removing the grease and other fluids from his arms, Titan went back to the many ships looking for an answer. Deltuvian power amplifiers. The science behind them was easy to learn, the real amount of work was re-moving and replacing the current power conduits throughout the whole ship to make use of the increased power load. The next few weeks went buy and soon the ship's generator began to hum with increased efficiency. The ship had many corridors of decoration, rooms, places to eat and drink as well as bathing and swimming areas among the decadence. Room would soon be a factor while adding more systems, perhaps something would have to go?

Power: +8
Engines: +6
Shields: +2 [Choices below]
Weapons(Powered): 0 [Choices below]
Weapons(Missiles, ballistics): 0 [Choices below]
Mass: -6
Bling: +10

Titan had a few choices before him when it came to engines, weapons, and shields.
Engines: There were sleek and large engines available from Loomin merchant galleons, however when running all other systems could not. They consumed all available power. There was another option though, multiple smaller engines all slaved together for maximum energy savings and efficiency. Cobbling them together wouldn't be pretty but it could be done quicker.

Shields: Shields could be hard or energy based or both. Hard shields would cost nothing in power but would be damaged directly and unable to stop any incoming fire from any type of weapon. It was the most common around the warships in the bay but would add mass the thicker it got. Energy shields added little to no mass and would block almost all energy weaponry if enough power could be applied, however missiles and boarding torpedoes would proceed unmolested.

Weapons: Energy based weapons were lighter and as long as they had power could shoot almost indefinitely if not destroyed. They also could be mounted almost everywhere. There were huge weapons that could fire once every engagement to smaller plasma based and laser weapons which while they could fire more often could overheat. The missiles and ballistic weapons of course took up precious space and mass. Fabricating replacements after use would also be an issue, needing factorium machinery and raw materials if they could not be procured while in space.

Ivadora - Location: WHERE ARE YOU
How much BP do you have?

Iva soon finds a machine that answers most of her basic questions. Where to find weapons and supplies: The armory of course. You can find ships that will talk to you and help you as well as take you places. The galaxy is full of life, but space is large you have to get closer to find the life. Each quadrant has life somewhere, the Devourer did not map the areas where sustenance could not be found. Would you like to know more?

As Ivodora moves throughout the ship and questions the computers even more she realizes something. They're talking to you like a person and not an object as if they're relating to you somehow. In fact, one of the machines shows you to somewhere you don't think you should be. You inhale with a gasp, intuiting the purpose of where you were. It was the huge bridge of the ship. The throne on it was many times more massive than the Devourer appeared to you. You feel a deep feeling of dread. No one had ever seen this place and lived. You know this. That you know you way here now, and the machines would let you through was a chip in the big game. THE end game. The artifical intelligence soon told you that you needed to leave. The heavy footfalls of the far away Kilnor were nearing...

Maren - Location: Patrops-5, Omega Quadrant
BP - 0

It took less time than Maren would have thought to find a barren rock ruined by intercontinental war. It looked like massive fires had burned the planet barren with many craters where big cities would have been. There were many shells, as if from some kind of large insects all over the planet. Perhaps the former masters of this world. The dragon found a deep crater and landed. The wind blew hard and cold. Not that either of you noticed.

Gracious Visitor Bearing Seven Gifts - Location: Sigma Quadrant

The incubation period was long but soon paid off after a couple days of birthing and re-engineering the vessel until it could be recreated. Each time Gracious Visitor would need to travel between the stars (sectors) it would have to create one. It shuddered with mindless violation but was soon ready. The flight to Sigma quadrant was interrupted by a screech as your ride died upon arrival. This was no barrier to you of course, indeed lazily even you began to search for life and came upon...space whales. their song was beautiful as they swam the dusty and lonely spaces between stars.

Herald Jonah - Location: Blue/Green World, Kappa Quadrant

Jonah arrived in sector and soon realized space was quite big. There were stars around, the big one didn't have any planets nearby. However Diana knew her captain's needs and began scanning for life signs and any electromagnetic signatures. As luck would have it, it was only a few weeks before Jonah stumbled upon a great green and blue world. "Captain, life sign detected. Do you wish to go closer? I do not detect any electronic or other technological advances." The ship was chipper, cheerful even.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 26, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Titan sat for a time and thought, on what his ship was to be. The choice of engines bothered him greatly. He was stuck between scarring his ship or commit to entirely physical attack systems. In the end, he decided to simply stick with the engines he already had, having improved them slightly already. The shields and weapons were easier, energy was the answer. Energy shields could be recharged where armor could not, and energy weapons negated the need for bulky stores of ammunition. The choices made, Titan set to work making the necessary adjustments and then set out, seated upon his majestic throne as his ship flew from the confines of the Devourer's domain. The drives spun up, ready to launch him to the stars, his destination, the zeta sector.

Titan's keeping his current engines, installing energy shields and energy weapons. Then he's heading for the Zeta Sector.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora: KILNOR's vessel, Ship, Galactic Rim
0 BP

Ivadora decides she needs to be somewhere, anywhere, else right now and heads back the way she came. While this information was certainly useful, it was hard to make use of it at the moment. She needed to be on her way. The huge lunkhead and the guy with obvious daddy issues had already gotten a huge head start. Heading back down into the hangars, she looks around. She was guessing that with the machine voice in them she could get it to go more or less where she wanted. Most of these things resembled huge metal caskets, which unneverved her. Her people's understanding of the void between the stars was limited but it was generally guessed that it would be bad to be caught out there. Ivadora walks along the bay, passing ship by ship until she spies-

Oh yes.

Oh very yes.

Off we go, into the wild, uh, black yonder. Lets hit up a yellow/orange star in Alpha sector. [Implacable+2] for controlling a semi-sentient craft via force of will and [Metal and Meat+2] for engineering knowhow to keep it running. I figure Iva's science power is more workmanlike and medicine/murder/engineering specific than Titan's general all purpose knowledge.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Rhyfel - Xi Sector

The War Machine recorded the data for later review, and began processing astrometrics on the sector. It picked out a system with at least one planet in the "habitable zone" with spectra indicating high probability of organic life, but no signals to indicate technological advancement. If Rhyfel was inclined to name the target, the designation would be, " Easy_pickings_Xi1".

If Rhyfel was capable of salivating, it would.

Using Advanced AI +2 to collect data and choose a statistically promising near target. Using Adaptive Weapons +2 as thrusters to scoot scoot over to my first killpocalypse

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

BP - 0

Maren investigates this place further. Most importantly, the bones. Perhaps some of these could be used to improve Rynghul. The dragon, that is.

See, reforming him is easy enough, but it takes such an awfully long time. You know, got to find all of the bones and replace the ones you can't find!

Maybe these shells can be used to improve him a bit. Clearly more important than finding some stupid planet to take over for the devourer.

Pimping my ride with [Grand Necromancy +2]. After that it's time to go find a planet with, eww, life, on it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Fascinating. Gracious Visitor had not expected to teleport into deep space. It calmly locates the minds that it had fixed on. Ah, that explains it. A nomadic void species. Well, without any means of sustained travel in vacuum, the swarm had better not miss this chance to jump hosts or it would be floating in space until it starved.

This was a definite opportunity though... this much biomass, capable of travelling between planets. Always before when modelling the takeover of planets Gracious Visitor arrived as a tiny fragment of the swarm in a small dead husk. These cetaceans offer a significantly more aggressive start. Perhaps.

Within the psychoportation host, the swarm begins working. Webbing and ichor are exuded forming many tiny tubules aimed out into space, towards the whales. Within each are three insects. One spins a cocoon and the other two brew potent chemicals. A binary mixture. As the space whales near the husk, possibly curious, the two launch bugs in each tube mix their chemicals and die in tiny but violent explosions. The cocooned insects are launched across the gap. Many hit at the wrong angle or velocity and bounce off. But enough of the sticky cocoons affix to the tough hide of the void beasts.

The whales are massive. It will take hours before enough of the swarm have reached key areas of the nervous systems of its new hosts. Tiny bioelectric stingers will be applied with precision and the mental abilities of Gracious Visitor allow careful mapping of the results. Each whale in turn will shudder for a few moments and then fall under control of the swarm. It is an insidious form of control, thoughts and actions being spontaneously provoked within the brain. No "silently screaming inside one's own head." The hosts are acting seemingly of their own volition but with some inevitable confusion at these impulses. It is also a surprisingly benevolent form of control. True, the parasites draw some sustenance from the host's circulatory system, but there is minimal damage to the brain and body. Usually.

Gracious Visitor plans to have one of the whales scoop up the husk with the rest of the swarm and then set out for a nearby planet.

Whale-jacking! More [Flesh Sculptor +2] and [Telepathically Distributed Intelligence +2].

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Herald Jonah Location: Ship of the Line Diana, near an unexplored blue/green planet in Kappa Quadrant

True to form, Jonah blamed Diana for the long weeks of fruitless searching rather than his own poor planning. "Full speed ahead. It took you long enough to find a planet with life that we may not be the first to report a planet ready for harvesting. I want to be the first to report success. If you're incompetence has cost me the opportunity to impress him I will be very unhappy with you Diana." Despite Jonah's threats, the ship's AI still sought to advise him as best it could and advised caution until they had more information, but Jonah wouldn't hear it. "Full speed ahead drat you. You said they don't have any defenses. Let's just get in there and drop the beacon to summon the Devourer in orbit, and no more of your time wasting."

Just a Man - 2: blunder in happy and stupid, easily ambushed by any defenders despite the best advice of the ship's AI

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Titan - Location: Titan's Converted Yacht, Zeta Sector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyryJkw1dng

Alarms sound as Titan's ship soon comes out of warp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlAObjR-gs
It would seem it was a good move installing those shields and weapons. Titan has come out in the middle of an intergalactic scuffle between multiple fleets. The multiple languages and local accents as ship configurations were easily assimilated by his brilliant mind. There were no less than 4 planets orbiting a yellow sun, each verdant and vibrating with life. Prime colonization zones. If they noticed you at all it was their fighter screens sending orders of surrender or targeting your ship...

Ivadora - LOCATION: Ivadora's vessel, Alpha Sector

The craft acknowledges Ivadora's orders in a synthetic voice. "Yes. Iva. I can do that."

A glowing green world fills the viewscreen after the appropriate amount of travel time. The craft speaks. "There is movement. Energy. Radiation levels 3000%. Cities and rivers, life." Iva couldn't quite be sure if the machine gave her a toxic world on purpose, but there was life here. The machine added thoughtfully, "Shall we bomb it from orbit?"

Rhyfel - Location: Planet Talcore III, Xi Sector

Rhyfel circulated the planet making pass after pass. Green fields, tall mountains, and deep blue oceans. Animals and plant life abundant. Humanoid tribes pointing at the new star in the sky. A good omen? A sign of the gods? The four limbed beings pointed and the elders pounded on their rocks. Perhaps the spirits would need a sacrifice for appeasement? Rhyfel saw similar scenes. On one continent there were four legged centaur like creatures with large heads. They seemed to be the most advanced, yet still only had stone weapons. However a tiny nugget of data irked the perfect target: The source of the satellite signal was coming from their continent!

Maren - Location: The TrixieNix-Space Bar, Omega Quadrant
BP - 0

The shells were mostly brittle, but with a little bit of magic and necromancy the bone dragon mount received the equivalent of hard armor that a ship would have received. It roared its approval and Maren cast a detect life spell. A very faint source in the distant edge of this space soon began looming closer and closer. A space station in the middle of nowhere. It looked like a large shard of mineral ripped from the ground, only huge and playing host to the galaxy's dregs. It had multiple places for dragon or ship to dock. Signs were posted all over the surface in languages Maren could suddenly understand easily.

Buy one Grugbeer, get one free.

Happy Hour: Half Price Appetizers

Don't loan Jeerv any space bucks, he won't pay

As Maren loomed closer it was less a planet than a water hole. But perhaps there could be information garnered here. Who knows?

The takeover was swift and painless. At least to the host. But it had ceased singing. Its mate keened in distress. Gracious visitor could understand, the sounds were close to the edge of true communication after all. <"Life-mate. Why do you stop the eternal song? Is it your time? Please do not leave us to wander alone in darkness. Pleaseeeeee"> "OOOOOOO0o0o0o0o0ooooooooo!" The rest was drowned out in sorrow as the Space-Whale's mate rubbed and tried to get a response from the confused host-whale.

Your host will not only survive the interstellar trips, but is fast to boot! No onboard shields or weapons though.

Herald Jonah Location: Ship of the Line Diana, near an unexplored blue/green planet in Kappa Quadrant

"By your command Herald Jonah. Should the devourer encounter any defenses may your punishment and or death be swift." It said cheerfully as it launched the beacon. Jonah could only watch in awe as the signal shot out beyond this world and summoned the--

KILNOR - THE GREAT DEVOURER

"HERALD, I HAVE COME. THIS WORLD DIES SO THAT I MAY FEE-"

The attack came from the depths of the seas, the cephalopod life had evolved nuclear weapons and had evolved a xenophobic society of nations that had horded them with mutual destruction in mind. The fact that most of the beings on the planet that had those weapons were psychic and launched them all in mind numbing terror at the presence of Kilnor would not have been a shock had Jonah actually done his job and culled them. Nuclear explosions rocked SHIP. The thick hull and shields absorbed the damage. Dead silence reigned over the world.

"HERALD! YOU MEDIOCRE FAILURE. PUNISH. PUNISH WITH THE MOST UN-PLEASANT STIMULI."

SHIP began to unfurl and complex and very large planet destroying / converting machinery came out to render the now defenseless world into fuel for the devourer's hunger. The damage would take precious energy from the feeding to repair.

:siren:Herald Jonah Location: poo poo Creek

A slight what could be a moan escaped the ship's speakers. "Dooomed." The voice said sadly for once. "How do we get out of this NOW?"

You can try to explain. You can promise, apologize, you can beg. You can run. You get one BP. If you come up with something clever, I'll give you another.:siren:

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 4, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

It would seem that he had jumped straight into the middle of a brawl, a banquet of possibilities if he could play his cards right. First however, he needed to see to his own protection he could hardly gather all the information he needed if they were shooting at his ship. So, using an effect he had long theorized even before the Devourer had plucked him from obscurity he begins to construct a device. It would interact with the ship's shields, causing them to act as a sort of invisibility field, absorbing all emissions generated by his vessel and causing the entire EM spectrum to flow around the vessel as though it were not even there. If he figured this correctly he could even fire his weapons from this obscurity which would be useful if he needed to quietly steer the battle. Setting to work, Titan was thankful that now his body could keep up with him mind, allowing him to work at blinding speed.

Trying to make a cloaking field that render the Yachi completely invisible across all spectrums, and hopefully allows Titan to fire from cloak. Super Genius[+2] to come up with the design, Perfected Body[+2] to allow him to do the delicate work as quickly as his mind can come up with it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

BP - 0

Curious place. but of course, Maren has had no need for food or drink anymore. But still, what's that could come of asking for some information in this place? Surely, one of these plebians knows something useful.

But before that, he just uses his skills to see if there are any usable corpses around - these kind of places do usually have their dark secrets, after all...

Going to use Grand Necromancy [+2] to try and look for some usable corpses to maybe make some makeshift soldiers with, should push come to shove. But for now, let's not raise them.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 6, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

An incongruence. The anomaly must be investigated. Due diligence required it and the lack of known time constraints allowed it.

Raw resources were fairly low, but Rhyfel could assemble a number of small drones. A far lesser machine based on a scouting prototype. No room for weapons but self-destruction should do lethal damage in a half-kilometer radius.

https://imgur.com/ZCDaZWk

Once assembled the scout drones were to scour the planet’s surface for further anomalies, defenses, or hidden weapons systems as well as further examine the source of the signal. Half the drones would be dedicated to that continent alone.

Rhyfel itself would remain in orbit to coordinate the drone activity and keep a view of the planet from above and of the star system itself.

Using Nanites +2 and Advanced AI +2 to construct some drones for a planetary survey while I wait overhead too keep an eye out for...something.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Iva ignores yet another machine addressing her in the familiar and focuses on the task at hand. "Hold off on the bombardment. From the looks of it it would be difficult to make things worse. I don't like it, but I think I'm going to have to go down there." She makes sure to bring ALL the weapons she can feasibly carry.

Science on her world had recently recorded the phenomena of certain materials being able to cause burns without flame or heat, just by prolonged proximity and she assumed this was an entire world of such things. Massive internal burns and other symptoms still probably couldn't compare to when she got disemboweled by the drill-face bear. It was not a good scene, as they say. "What protective clothing do you have on board? I want you to take me down to the surface, near a population center, I've got to see what's going on there before I figure out a plan. Orbital strikes might help me out when I'm down there, but I have to figure out what to aim you at first."

Scouting the planet. [Heroism+2] and [Implacable+2] to survive and scout in the harsh terrain. [Metal and Meat+2] to keep myself healthy and protect myself against any dangers here.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 5, 2016

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Each of the fleets beamed transmissions to Titan's ship, almost at the same time.

Fleet #1 Supreme Commander: "Unknown ship, surrender and power down at once and prepare to be board-"
Fleet #2 High Admiral: "Warmongering spy! You will be destroyed, the might of the fleet-"
Fleet #3 Grand Warlord: "Whelp of the nobility, you are now the property of the might of the imperial horde-"
Fleet #4 Arbiter Prime: "Militant vessel, give yourself up to the prophet! Your apostate ways are no longe-"

Titan dismissed them with a wave of his hand. He got down and dirty and began to work on a cloaking device to hide his ship both from view and from the fleets' sensors. His own systems were better, but not as overwhelmingly better as he would have liked. A few ships from each fleet began firing warning shots at the Yacht just as Titan got his cloaking device online. It wasn't elegant but it would work. He would need to spend time on it later, perhaps give it some better effect befitting a ship of his own stature. As the ship faded from view Titan maneuvered away just in the nick of time. Two large frigates from two of the competing fleets had moved and attacked the space where he had been, and soon began attacking one another. The fleets beamed messages of demands for their enemies surrender as they pounded each other. Thousands of vessels clogged local space and Titan had to avoid lots of missiles, beam weaponry not even directed at him and a few other curious weapons. He didn't know whether or not his own cloak would hold if he fired at the other ships, but there was one way to find out.

The cloaking device is a prototype to Titan. This will be its shakedown and test. The technology and ideas he used were sound and the device working at the designed specifications. Only one way to know for certain...

BP - 0

The dead were easy to locate, if not trip over. The things that passed for alleyways on the station didn't lack for scores being left unsettled. Maren had left the dragon in the space dock, and so had to move the bodies manually. All told there was a dirty dozen of them. Different types of species for sure, a few without skeletal systems. Who knew how they would reanimate? They had been stripped of anything valuable or useful. Dregs. But they too could have uses of their own...

What you have scanned
World Name: Planet Talcore III
Technology: +0 Pre-Atomic Age (Likely)
Evolution: +2 Minor Mutations (Possible)
Superpowered: ?Unknown?
Willpower:: ?Unknown?

As Rhyfel kept orbiting at a safe distance as his drones scanned more of the surface. There was technology here, buried underground. The other lands had some, but the highest concentrations seemed to be in the Centaur-hybrid lands. As his probes orbited overhead every few hours, lower and lower. The Centaurs seemed to be gesturing at them as they passed by. As if trying...something. Rhyfel didn't have a frame of reference for it. As his probes faded from sight, they soon went back to other tasks. It would seem these Centaur-men cultivated some form of spongy crops and kept several forms of other native life in bondage or cages.

The computer helpfully produces a combat ready space suit. A tray floats up to Ivadora with multiple weapons (shooting, stabbing, and bludgeoning) and a few pink pills. "Nanos to keep radiation and toxicity to a norm." Volunteered the ship's AI. After a few passes there were several large structures on the surface that could be massive settlements that showed up. Acid lakes and mountains made of rock, diamond, and dense materials dotted the rest of the landscape. Nothing came out to play, but that didn't mean there wasn't more beneath the surface. Iva donned the suit, and made her way down in a landing craft. After the craft was helpfully landed by her ship, the bay doors opened and she was hit in the face with the blunted force of the radiation and toxicity. Her Herald metabolism and other strengths coupled with the tools and ship's technology allowed her freedom to move and act without losing it. A small speeder vehicle sat next to her equipped with more weaponry and provisions.

She could go north to the mountains or south to the structures...
What little you know
World Name: Planet X
Technology: +2 Atomic Age (possibly)
Evolution: ?Unknown?
Superpowered: +2 Above average populace(possible if they live here)
Willpower:: ?Unknown?

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 5, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Titan smiled as his ship faded into space, invisible to the combatants. Now, what to do with his newfound advantage, he considered for a moment. Clearly these groups were hostile to one another, but eventually he intended to bring them all under his iron grip. Therefore the best option was to attempt to get them to grind each other down as much as possible, to allow him to sweep up the remnants, or to at least reduce any opposition he might face later. That meant he wanted this battle to be as bloody and indecisive as possible. So, he set to work, he would attempt to read the flow of battle whenever one side seemed like they were going to turn the tide in their favor he would move to silently make some pin-point strikes to blunt their advantage or open them to a counter-attack on another front. Equally he aided any side that seemed like it would be eliminated completely. Only his superior intellect allowed him to read the chaotic fracas of information from his sensors to allow him to determine whom he should strike and when, and only his enhanced body allowed him the reflexes and stamina to keep this up for hours or even days if needed.

However, he was especially careful to avoid detection at all costs. If they knew he was out here manipulating things it would likely strangle his plans in their crib, worse it might even unite them against him. The last thing he wanted to do was announce himself as their enemy, especially a common enemy. No, he would help them wipe themselves out if he could, but he would be sure that none of them would find his fingerprints on the affair.

Titan's gonna try and use his cloaked ship to make this battle as long and bloody and indecisive as possible. If he can manage to have them all basically destroy each other that'd be the goal. However, the overwhelming priority here is to not get caught in the act. He's gonna use his Super-Intelligence[+2] to make sense of the complex flow of information to determine when and where to strike, and his Perfected Body[+2] to provide him with the reflexes and stamina he needs to keep the act up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ivadora - LOCATION:Planet X, Alpha Sector

"AUUUGH" Opening the door was like going from a climate controlled room to a blasting desert heat wave except instead of heat it was raw pain. Nevertheless, Ivadora sucked it up and pushed forward. There was a civilization to discover (and destroy). She wondered how the other Heralds were faring. Stars above knew they were certainly creepy enough for the job of beating a world senseless so the big dude could eat it alive, but that didn't exactly reflect well on her either. She had killed a lot of people in her day, but, mistakes aside, they had always deserved it in one form or another. This was another thing entirely, but she comforted herself with the thought that maybe these beings had a dumb and stupid society of assholes that made global genocide a net karmic plus, somehow.

Ivadora steps on the vehicle, trying to figure out how to make it go forward. Okay, that turns the main column left and right, and this pedal-HAHAHAHA OH FU-

A short time and a few terrifying crashes later, she approaches the edge of the inhabited area, dismounts, and prepares to scout out whatever lives on this awful rock.

[Heroism+2] and [Implacable+2] to approach the southern structures and not stop until I've scouted out whatever (if anything) lives here. [Metal and Meat+2] for piloting the thing and fighting if things get messy.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 6, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

There was little outward signs of major threat, but the situation did not add up for Rhyfel. There was something off here, and the next question was this radio signal. Deciphering it should have taken little effort, and yet it was still incomprehensible. Perhaps the alien-ness of it was preventing passive understanding. Xenolinguistics theory was not perfected back on... *ERROR DATA CORRUPTED* Using its code-breaking cryptography algorithms the machine mind puzzled over the data stream in an attempt to break the code or at least attempt to figure out the purpose of this unsettling anachronistic signal. If the language could not be deciphered, perhaps the pattern and volume of data could match known formats.

Using Advanced AI +2 to try and figure out what is going on with this signal. Monitoring station? Defunct systems from a world war that sent them back to the stone age? A strange black monolith?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

BP - 0

That's a lot more corpses just left about than expected. Hmm... Who's up for an infectious zombie plague? Everyone is up for an infectious zombie plague. It's just that most people aren't prepared for them! Let's see here. Stick a bone spike here, just rip that right out and...

Grand Necromancy [+2] to make a bunch of infectious zombies with a mind-altering haze surrounding them, using Master of the Mind [+2].. Intent is to keep the victim's body (well, mostly the brain) mostly intact for later mind-pilfering.

It's time to go necromorph on this station!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Titan held a breath he didn't need as he took the first shot. Success! He remained cloaked, something other ships could not do. They could either fire or cloak. However Titan's power cores were redlined. There wouldn't be much more he could fit into the ship unless he fixed some of its other quirks. WhIttling away at the fleets, Titan made it an almost even confrontation. That was until the Arbiter Prime suicided his entire fleet against the Warlord's and High Admiral's fleets! "Kiiiirrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyioiieei!" Went the shriek across all the channels. Capital ships and escorts blew up magnificently as they tried to evade. The entire fleet of the Arbiter gone and the remaining fleets limping. All except of course, that of the supreme commander's. The tide had shifted and Titan had a decision to make. The High Admiral tried to reform his battle line as the Warlord tried to disengage from the battle as the Supreme Commander brought his fleet to bear on the survivors.

The cloak works! Even while firing. The High Arbiter suicide attacked his entire fleet into the heathen masses, inflicting high casualties in the Warlord and High Admiral's fleets. The High Admiral is going to try and reform and attack, while the Warlord's fleet decides to flee. What will Titan do now?

Ivadora - LOCATION:Planet X, Alpha Sector

The oval-like structures loomed large as Iva got close enough for a look. Lightning crashed as night fell and the toxic landscape gave way to the cyclopean architecture. The place looked abandoned, though the sensors on her suit said otherwise.

The inside was huge and smooth, like a beetle's shell. It was cold in here, unlike the surface of the world. Either a sophisticated design or an evolved one. It seemed that this place was built upon something else, older maybe. One of the walls seemed to be peeling and huge hallway went forward and onward past the light and into darkness...

More probes were dispatched and soon Rhyfel's deepest scans revealed it, an entryway. In the far east of the centaur held lands there was something. The materials and composition of the structure if that is what it was, were not native to this world. The faint radio signals emanated from within. There were many large machines, they either could have been used for propulsion or as power plants. Ship or structure? Puzzling. As some drones entered the morass of twisting metal, Rhyfel lost signal and they did not return. He could leave it be, wipe out the sentient species. He could also investigate, ensure that all possible threats were neutralized...

BP - 0

The dead rose and those that could shambled in a group towards the noise and lights of the bar. There was a commotion and soon everyone was shooting. A drunk gunsman with two heads ran out and hit one of the station alarms.

A feminine voice filled the air: "Attention, virulent infection detected. Station sealing. Entering Quarantine."

This was good for Maren, and Bad for the station residents. Because magic didn't recognize the bulkheads as boundaries, Maren could raise the dead on other parts of the station too. Soon all pockets of resistance were relegated to lone space marine types or beings that simply ate his zombies like finger foods. The bulkheads being sealed was kind of an inconvenience and any information Maren could have gotten was now spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The swarm settles into its new host. More intelligent than expected, more intelligent by far, given the proto-language rippling from the others of the pod as Gracious Visitor sweeps away into the black. Certain centers of the host's complex brain are prodded and stimulated. The haunting electromagnetic language comes slowly and haltingly as Gracious Visitor refines its model of the whale's brain.

Sickness. Plague. Broken song. Farewell my love.

Easiest to avoid the others while getting bearings in this body. Memories take longer to access than most of a hosts brain. Individuals are built upon themselves, memory layered and supported by memory. The foundations of self are hidden in early experiences, imprinting a language of sensation upon a mind. Random memory centers are stimulated and the changes cascade through the sensory sections. Gracious Visitor methodically builds a lexicon of these sensations, the oldest having the most profound roots in the mind. Unsurprisingly perhaps, the whale's earliest memories are the song of its family, spike and sine bathing the young cetacean in the warm voices of its family.

Gracious Visitor rifles through sensations, picking through more intense memories for interesting information. Of particular interest are the whale's interactions with planets or lifeforms and places where it's kin might concentrate. Additonally knowledge of dangers in the black is critical for survival in this new galaxy.

Throughout all this the swarm breed and prosper. Specialty forms are being engineered with the plentiful resources. Weapon of chitin and acid, mind and deception. Hubs of thought, outposts of sense and subtlety. Gracious Visitor arms itself against the unknown with myriad geneforms.

Lot of mind work here. [TDI +2] for that and [Flesh Sculptor +2] for preparation of lethal bugs and sensory bugs in various forms. Want to beable to give anything that would normally feed on space whales a nasty surprise.

• Locked thread