Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

:siren: Kiznaiver
Trigger | Kobayashi, Hiroshi | Sci-Fi | Apr 9, 2016
The anime's setting is a fictional Japanese city named Sugomori City. One day, Noriko Sonosaki tells her classmate Katsuhira Agata, "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." The Kizuna System, which allows Katsuhira to share his wounds, connects him to the classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his. The Kizuna System is an incomplete system for the implementation of world peace that connects people through wounds. All those who are connected to this system are called Kiznaivers. When one Kiznaiver is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers. Sugomori City is built on reclaimed land, but as the years go by, the city's population is decreasing. The story is set in this town where Katsuhira and the others live.
Links:

New original anime by Mari Okada (Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans) and studio Trigger! Character comedy driven sci-fi thriller! It's pretty too.

Cast!

Katsuhira "Kacchon" Agata
VA: Kaji, Yuki
Can't feel pain, doesn't care.

Chidori Takashiro
VA: Terasaki, Yuka
Cares deeply about Kacchon.

Hajime Tenga
VA: Maeno, Tomoaki
Shares a name with a onahole.

Honoka Maki
VA: Satou, Rina
Terrible personality.

Niko "Nico" Niiyama
VA: Kuno, Misaki
Has candy.

Tsuguhito Yuta
VA: Shimazaki, Nobunaga
Normie.

Noriko Sonozaki
VA: Yamamura, Hibiku
Probably on the student counsel.

Watch it on Crunchyroll!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
At this point, it can go anywhere, but I'm here for the ride from beginning till the end.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The OP song is pretty good and so is the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEplVs_kg5M

I've yet to watch the third episode (just about to), but so far Okada's writing and Trigger's production have combined to be really entertaining to me and I hope they keep the premise interesting and the direction as lively as it's been.

also:

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?
This thread made me curious enough to watch all 3 episodes.

I'll definitely keep following this. Pretty charming, funny and has a lot of potential.
That ep. 3 ending :allears:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I am ashamed to admit that I didn't figure out the ep3 reveal before the reveal. Given how obvious it is retrospectively and how obvious it should have been,prospectively, I feel like an idiot.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I'm not totally sold on the show yet, a couple of the characters seem like they could get pretty grating, but drat I love the way it looks. So for now, it gets a

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is the best bit so far.

If you've seen anything of Trigger's, you've seen basically all 3 episodes of this so far. It's not been especially good.

cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

King Dedede Drooling While Eating
Still the best scene so far

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Show still looks great, cast is fun, story could go anywhere, 3rd ep had a fun ending

I hope it doesn't get too emo somewhere down the line. I'll watch it and start complaining the second it does.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
When you connect six seven people together and have them share pain, it really seems obvious to have one of them be a masochist

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is the best bit so far.

If you've seen anything of Trigger's, you've seen basically all 3 episodes of this so far. It's not been especially good.

I'm not sure what you're going for here. This is way different from Kill La Kill, it's 7 weirdos trying to get along instead of battle show. I'd agree that the animation style is basically the same though, which I'm really happy about because Kill La Kill looked awesome

And then Lucoluco, Inferno Cop, Working Girls, and Ninja Slayer are all short comedy things

I've been enjoying this alot, group of misfits come together is always fun to me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All the symbolism going on with light and how it interacts with things is so freaking cool, the concept is really interesting and the cast is pretty rad. This show looks focused, interesting and loving weird, just my kind of thing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Make seafood change the title to Kiznaiver - Everybody Hurts.

Thanks. :tipshat:

e:

And/or embed "Don't You Forget About Me" from the Breakfast Club on every page.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

a kitten posted:

e:

And/or embed "Don't You Forget About Me" from the Breakfast Club on every page.

You mean Take On Me, c'mon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You mean Take On Me, c'mon.

I do not. :colbert:

Breakfast Club is thematically appropriate, while the OP music just sounds like A-ha's song.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is really pretty and i like the characters

i dunno if it's really going to end up being great but as it is i think it's very good

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

That's good, sent em a message.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really hopeful about this show. Now that we've got the cast introduced, it's time to bring on the pain :black101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is the guy behind the character designs also the one responsible for Tsuritama and the Gatchaman Crowds?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Wark Say posted:

Is the guy behind the character designs also the one responsible for Tsuritama and the Gatchaman Crowds?

Nope, original character design was by Shirow Miwa, who's mostly done work as a mangaka. Design adaptation is being done by Mai Yoneyama, who's done key animation on a whole bunch of stuff (including episode 1 of Tsuritama, coincidentally.)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

tsuritama and CROWDS have the same art director, not character designer. anyway, there's not a connection between the shows' art as far as i saw, staff-wise

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cool_boy_mew posted:

Still the best scene so far

Looks like those mascots from Tatami Galaxy (the ones Akashi likes and the main character has hanging from the light in his room).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
TRIGGER will always get style points with any of their original works. Their writing is up and down though unfortunately.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

TRIGGER will always get style points with any of their original works. Their writing is up and down though unfortunately.

uh, Trigger doesn't have staff writers for every show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Xelkelvos posted:

kiznaiver is written by mari okada, so i guess that won't be a huge issue

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

uh, Trigger doesn't have staff writers for every show

i guess that's kinda his point? they're pretty consistently well animated but the writer is more of a wild card

i like the animation a lot but so far i'd be lying if I said i like the writing so far. it's been getting better after the first episode which i thought was pretty bad, but i'm not fully on board yet either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i guess that's kinda his point? they're pretty consistently well animated but the writer is more of a wild card

i like the animation a lot but so far i'd be lying if I said i like the writing so far. it's been getting better after the first episode which i thought was pretty bad, but i'm not fully on board yet either

yeah but there's no point in conflating Trigger as a studio with their show's writing, because the writers are from outside the company.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hell, there's barely a point in giving reputation to a studio based on shows, because the industry is now way more about people being brought in for a series and then doing their own stuff afterwards

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

true

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

hell, there's barely a point in giving reputation to a studio based on shows, because the industry is now way more about people being brought in for a series and then doing their own stuff afterwards

It does depend on the roles. I think Directors are still generally attached to their studios while writers, character designers and other roles are more mercenary. Quality of animation is still something that can be determined based on the studio too still, but the overall level is generally increasing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

man i love anime depression

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This show's rad and I like the running theme of "connecting with people."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This show's rad and I like the running theme of "connecting with people."

Specifically, terrible people.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
laaaaaaaaay yooooooooour haaaaaaaaaands on me

So the first few episodes I watched are good, don't seem too remarkable but they're enjoyable enough, but man gently caress the opening song because I can't get it out of my head

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Devil Tesla posted:

Specifically, terrible people.

I'm a big fan of Sonozaki's 7 Deadly Sins powerpoint. It's like she gathered up the 7 people on the planet that she finds most distasteful, for like really innocuous reasons, and turned them into some kind of wifi human centipede. She's basically an incredibly petty teen girl version of Jigsaw, so far, and it's pretty entertaining.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm a big fan of Sonozaki's 7 Deadly Sins powerpoint. It's like she gathered up the 7 people on the planet that she finds most distasteful, for like really innocuous reasons, and turned them into some kind of wifi human centipede. She's basically an incredibly petty teen girl version of Jigsaw, so far, and it's pretty entertaining.

She thought she was connecting terrible people... but the terrible person being connected was her...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm wondering whether she actually has power, or is just a figurehead. The whole city has this eerie, cultish vibe to it, from the intertwined-hands bridge to those freakish udder-and-scar-tissue mascot things. The whole thing feels like a committee trying to manufacture normal human interaction in people who don't necessarily need it that much, combined with a good bit of salvation-through-suffering religious fervour. Read this chapter, and spot the uncomfortable similarities. My bet is that she's a cult baby, a child of one of the city's senior figures who's been marinated in its ideology far more than ordinary(ish) schlubs like the Kiznaivers.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
So was I the only one who noticed the rape joke in episode one? Was that just bad translation? Or does he actually say something along the lines of "I'm going to violate you"? Seems very out of place with the tone of the show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

linall posted:

So was I the only one who noticed the rape joke in episode one? Was that just bad translation? Or does he actually say something along the lines of "I'm going to violate you"? Seems very out of place with the tone of the show.

I saw something on twitter about that line and apparently it was just a wordplay/pun thing that wasn't translated too well.
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/724554009806172160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This scene was the best, hahaha.

• Locked thread