Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
linall
Feb 1, 2007

Motto posted:

I saw something on twitter about that line and apparently it was just a wordplay/pun thing that wasn't translated too well.
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/724554009806172160

Well, that's good. I was hoping it was something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tenga does keep talking about violating Sonozaki, though, which does seem a little off for the sort of bluff, kind-hearted meathead he's supposed to be.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Tenga does keep talking about violating Sonozaki, though, which does seem a little off for the sort of bluff, kind-hearted meathead he's supposed to be.

Tenga is not kind-hearted. The secret he's hiding by acting tough isn't that he cares about people, but that he's weak and an rear end in a top hat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We have the "kizu" (wound) and "kizuna" (bond) parts of the title in play now, interested to see where they go with "naive". At least I hope it's intentional they have that word in there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sonozaki has some very interesting trivia on the Kiznaiver wiki.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Kiznaiver sounds like it's a Yiddish insult.

"Don't hold your fork like that, everyone will think you're a meshuggeneh kiznaiver!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

linall posted:

Well, that's good. I was hoping it was something like that.

Yes, because a rape pun is so much better than a rape joke? Or is it the worst of both worlds?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Clarste posted:

Yes, because a rape pun is so much better than a rape joke? Or is it the worst of both worlds?

I'm gonna violate you

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It was a bad joke. It's over now.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Some things that occurred to me while rewatching the first 3 episodes, but mainly related to the third, not sure if I should just spoiler this but it is kind of general and the next episode is under a day away.

1) There might be a technical reason they'll give as a hand wave for the immediate pain of an injury transferring to the group but residual pain not doing so but my theory is narratively it represents how the actions of one person affect others. Specifically the initial pain is pretty much what it is, the direct harm caused by a thoughtless or malicious action, and residual pain is representative of the lost trust and guilty feelings after the event. It's kind of interesting, and I think it backs my idea up, that the first we see this is after Tenga stupidly tries to jump between the balconies and sprained his wrist.

2) This basically makes Katsuhira and Hisomu what in layman' terms (neither is used clinically anymore) would be called a Sociopath (is incapable of really noticing other's pain) and Psychopath (not caring about others pain) respectively

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this show is messed up!!!

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Of course I'd prefer no rape anything, but being as this is anime I've learned to calibrate my expectations. At least the rape pun is is funny because wordplay, instead of the rape joke which would be funny because Tenga is going to rape Sonozaki. I know it's splitting hairs, but small miracles.

TonightSociety
Oct 21, 2010
I saw this post about flower language in the show's ED the other day and thought it was an informative read. I'll be interested to see how the assumptions made compare to how the characters develop in future episodes.

I'm really looking forward to today's episode - hoping it will shed some light onto where the story's headed.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Tasteless jokes aside I find it really difficult to dislike Tenga.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Tenga is not kind-hearted. The secret he's hiding by acting tough isn't that he cares about people, but that he's weak and an rear end in a top hat.

I don't agree. I think Tenga is just really bad at socializing under normal circumstances. Everything out of his mouth is either an insult or braggadocio, and while he isn't as explicit about it as Nico is, it seems obvious to me that he's cultivating this image of being a "Mad Dog" to get attention. He moved in with Kacchon on a whim and seems really quick to dismiss the idea that his parents might be worried about him when Chidori brings it up, too. Tenga probably cares too much about people and what people think, and compensates for it by pretending he gives zero fucks at all.

I subscribe to the idea that each of the Kiznaivers (and probably Sonozaki, too) are narratively connected because of mismanaged pain, which seems tangentially related to what you touched on.
  • Kacchon cannot feel his own pain, which has damaged his ability to feel much of anything at all.
  • Hisomu revels in pain and having pain inflicted upon him as a result of his inability to "feel alive" or be stimulated.
  • Chidori and Tenga deny their own emotional pain and inflict physical pain on others to mask it.
  • Yuta and Maki bury whatever pain they have behind facades and inflict psychological pain on others to mask it.
  • Nico is the mascot character.

A few interesting things from the newest episode, too - Sonozaki sabotaging the word-association game (I guess that's what it might be? I'm unfamiliar with Japanese culture, so the "shiratori game" has no meaning to me) intentionally just makes her seem even more petty than she seemed before, which was pretty petty; the smashcut to Tenga's eyes being hidden by his glasses when he mentioned that he would try to help Chidori w/r/t her persistent crush on Katsuhira indicating he's maybe got a crush of his own - I like this show, I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was a weird joke and i don't think it really reflects tenga entirely as a character, i think the new episode shows that he's a pretty decent guy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

guts and bolts posted:

(I guess that's what it might be? I'm unfamiliar with Japanese culture, so the "shiratori game" has no meaning to me)

You're pretty close. Basically, shiratori is a game where one person says a word, then the next person has to say a word starting with the last syllable of the previous word, and so on and so forth. Can't come up with anything, you lose.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cool_boy_mew posted:

Still the best scene so far

I find it weird that these mascots are all in bondage.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You're pretty close. Basically, shiratori is a game where one person says a word, then the next person has to say a word starting with the last syllable of the previous word, and so on and so forth. Can't come up with anything, you lose.

Pretty sure there is some rule with a specific syllable, a trailing 'n' sound or something like that where if the word or phrase you use ends with that syllable you lose because it is impossible to start a word with that syllable in Japanese.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Pretty sure there is some rule with a specific syllable, a trailing 'n' sound or something like that where if the word or phrase you use ends with that syllable you lose because it is impossible to start a word with that syllable in Japanese.

That's exactly how it works. If your word ends in ん , you lose, since no words start with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought that they were gonna gain some kind of super power and start fighting at first. Those wrist scars started emanating something vaguely weapon-ish when they were first activated, after all. Now it is clear that nope, nothing like that is gonna happen. But hey, a character study for a bunch of weirdos and jerks is good too!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Serious Frolicking posted:

I thought that they were gonna gain some kind of super power and start fighting at first. Those wrist scars started emanating something vaguely weapon-ish when they were first activated, after all. Now it is clear that nope, nothing like that is gonna happen. But hey, a character study for a bunch of weirdos and jerks is good too!

This being a Trigger joint, I think it might be premature to rule out costumes and superpowers yet - that might still show up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

This being a Trigger joint, I think it might be premature to rule out costumes and superpowers yet - that might still show up

The premise could lend itself to super power battles, sure. But this cast of characters? Not a chance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

They do sort of have a superpower - being able to share injuries basically means that everyone in the group has limited-but-still-useful super toughness.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm loving the absence of super powers personally. I haven't quite had a Trigger anime click for me despite recognizing that they made good poo poo. I think if we keep away from transformations and so on this might finally be the one for me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm---I admit I'm mostly following b/c I like the chara designer/studio but I like how they added a variety of new and old VAs for the main cast.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Colonel posted:

it was a weird joke and i don't think it really reflects tenga entirely as a character, i think the new episode shows that he's a pretty decent guy

tenga's always been a bro, he's always looking out for people in his own way

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I subscribe to the idea that each of the Kiznaivers (and probably Sonozaki, too) are narratively connected because of mismanaged pain, which seems tangentially related to what you touched on.
  • Kacchon cannot feel his own pain, which has damaged his ability to feel much of anything at all.
  • Hisomu revels in pain and having pain inflicted upon him as a result of his inability to "feel alive" or be stimulated.
  • Chidori and Tenga deny their own emotional pain and inflict physical pain on others to mask it.
  • Yuta and Maki bury whatever pain they have behind facades and inflict psychological pain on others to mask it.
  • Nico is the mascot character.

I really like this but I don't think the theory is 100% there, I'd consider the possibility that the idea of making people who would normally avoid each other connect instead might leave us with 4 pairs that are connected by having reactions to pain that are in opposition to each other.

Hisomu and Katsuhira would be connected by their (in)ability to feel pain, I'm pretty sure if this holds any water more has to be going on with these two.
Chidori and Sonozaki are connected by their childhood relationship with Katsuhira and the fact Chidori has strong feelings towards him but can't really get what she wants from him while Sonozaki doesn't seem to care much for him but can get him to do what she wants.
Yuta and Maki I think you got spot on as a pair that hurt others but I'd add the detail that both are acknowledged as being physically attractive and Yuta has cultivated an attractive persona while Maki has gone the opposite way to make herself unlikeable.
Nico and Tenga seem to be about another kind of facade but to protect themselves from embarrassment, as you pointed out Nico is the mascot character, I take it as she's actually hiding her smarts by forcing herself to be a 'real life' ditzy moeblob while Tenga is hiding his insecurity behind a wall of hyper masculinity.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's too early to say nico is the mascot, I prefer to see her as the flip of Kacchon socially - he remained alienated because he couldn't connect with people. Nico acted eccentrically to get attention, but still gets ignored.
I interpreted the residual pain as including suffering. Which they're all kind of experiencing anyway, because they're misfits. So the kiznaiver system doesn't transmit it, because it'd be working 24/7 if it did.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Huh, everyone's drawing their own parallels between characters. I read everything at face value: Katsuhira and Sonozaki connect because they are dispassionate, Chidori and Tenga connect because they are (Tenga is totally in love with her), Maki and Yuta connect because of their disdain towards others. But there are different parallels as well, like Nico and Tenga's defence mechanisms. or Katsuhira and Hisomu's attempts to connect with their worlds, and so on.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'm getting an old-school Gainax vibe from the show. The focus on how people connect (or don't) to each other, the mysterious conspiracy that the teachers are in on, the shared past of at least some of the characters, the little bits of symbolism that might be in the background, all animated in that signature style that Trigger took with them when they were formed...

It’s oddly nostalgic.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nobody's suspecting different groups of Kiznaivers acting against each other, now that the bullies have their own bond and are brought to the camp?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 1, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Nobody's suspecting different groups of Kiznaivers acting against each other, now that the bullies have their own bond and are brought to the camp?

They were tossed together randomly and are only being used to test the real experimental group.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Sandman posted:

I'm getting an old-school Gainax vibe from the show. The focus on how people connect (or don't) to each other, the mysterious conspiracy that the teachers are in on, the shared past of at least some of the characters, the little bits of symbolism that might be in the background, all animated in that signature style that Trigger took with them when they were formed...

It’s oddly nostalgic.

Normally this type of show wouldn't be for me, but I'm honestly really charmed by what I've seen so far. I think I was too young to really get shows that had more abstract and under the surface concepts like FCLC or Utena and if this show was a thing several years back, I wouldn't have liked it.

I'm also glad that Miwa Shirow is the character designer because his style animated by Trigger looks really good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm expecting that the mascots turn out to be something other than human.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Considering Tenga's resemblance to Kamina, I don't think him developing affections for a red haired young lady would necessarily work out well for him...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every time I hear the OP start up I keep expecting it to be a weird japanese cover of 'Take on me'

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

khy posted:

Every time I hear the OP start up I keep expecting it to be a weird japanese cover of 'Take on me'

It pretty much is

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like the opening song it is distinctive

I like it and the characters and the art way more than I like the premise tho

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I'm expecting that the mascots turn out to be something other than human.

I'm expecting them to be more like formerly human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Considering Tenga's resemblance to Kamina, I don't think him developing affections for a red haired young lady would necessarily work out well for him...

He'd have to get really creative to get killed off given the premise, though.

• Locked thread